Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Average Bear posted:

Oh hey if you ran into an Antediluvian in your travels how would you go about sucking its soul or taking it home? It's got 80 damage soaking

I did that once. Kite him into daylight until he begins to dig a hole. Melee him with pawn which will usually cancel the "dig a hole" action in favor of self-defense (your pawn will also usually die). Repeat until Antediluvian is downed due to sun exposure, build a roof next to him, park your vampire under it so that he wont get exposure himself and start sucking. If it looks like Antediluvian will die to sun before he is sucked dry, build a roof over him and deconstruct it a few seconds later to make him last a bit longer. Timing is important, because he recovers sunlight exposure extremely quickly and if he recovers enough to stand back up, you are back to square one. After several saves/loads you should be able to suck him dry.

If its night then lol you are hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Managed to suck a 4th gen. The fight lasted 20 hours and ended when the victim was weak enough to fall for a Sleep spell. They fell down and I cracked open a cold one.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
oh god he came back to the colony and the beast took over because he has a blood pool of 50 points now. He sucked the bears dry and now he's killing every colonist

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Yeah, that sounds about right.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

This mod sounds hot.:heysexy:

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

I poked around a bit and didn't see one, but is there any Warhammer Fantasy Battle conversion/add-on projects in the works? I saw the 40k one, but I'm playing both Total War: Warhammer 2 and Rimworld with the A Rim of Magic mod and I'm really surprised there isn't one.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Imo the warhammer 40k mod needs psykers who have a special break that just causes a map wide demon incursion.

I have no idea about the benefits they would bring, but you should basically just make the 40k rpg perils of the warp table a thing in game.

Phoenix Taichou
Jun 23, 2010

"Movie reference."

TaintedBalance posted:

I poked around a bit and didn't see one, but is there any Warhammer Fantasy Battle conversion/add-on projects in the works? I saw the 40k one, but I'm playing both Total War: Warhammer 2 and Rimworld with the A Rim of Magic mod and I'm really surprised there isn't one.

Out of curiosity, assuming that sprites and statistic balancing isn't a problem, how difficult is it to implement new factions and weapons, stuff like that? If I have no modding experience, how difficult would it be to knock something like this up? Or rather, for us to knock something like this up?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

You can add new weapons and factions and such to the game very easily, with just XML. Even new races, with the Alien Humanoid Races mod as a dependency.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

TaintedBalance posted:

So this dropped literally just this morning, I guess you weren't the only one interested.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Keeshhound posted:

So this dropped literally just this morning, I guess you weren't the only one interested.

Oh me oh my.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

Keeshhound posted:

Praise Sigmar!

Edit: Looks like its just a base layer setting up for Warhammer stuff. No new races or anything yet, but does add Chaos Wastes, Chaos Taint and gets rid of everything post-medieval on the tech tree. Maybe I'll see about contributing.

TaintedBalance fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Dec 29, 2018

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
There's a game called Meeple Station that is somewhat adjacent to Rimworld - it's quite a bit simpler mechanically, but on the other hand it's got Z-levels :awesome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zRdVAXS5cY

e: oof, it is extremely alpha

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Dec 29, 2018

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I finally got over my anxiety and used a tornado generator defensively.

In completely non-Rimworld fashion, it worked beautifully.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

TaintedBalance posted:

Rimworlders are pretty much Skaven.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Keeping a boomalope herd outside my base is proving to be surprisingly effective as part of my defenses. Some of them are getting pretty torn up though and I had to give them peg legs, and one time there was one that lost its spine so a colonist rescued it bringing inside my barn - turns out they still explode when you euthanize them. :downs:

SetPhazers2Funk
Jan 27, 2008

Good, bad, I'm the one with the gun.
Was there a multiplayer mod that went up recently? I thought someone had posted about it here but can't find the reference.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

SetPhazers2Funk posted:

Was there a multiplayer mod that went up recently? I thought someone had posted about it here but can't find the reference.
Here.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Boomalopes producing chemfuel is still one of the best design ideas this game has had.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Boomalopes are literally the best animal in the game. Produce chemfuel and you just set an area to a siege and assign a few to it and theyll detonate the siege in one go

For how many of them spawn and how easy they are to train, they're probably the most broken mechanic in the game rn

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

On mountainous maps with few points of entry, how many units of chemfuel stored in shelves would cause a large enough explosion to set out a smattering of shelves that, when hit with a mortar, would not only be near guaranteed a hit by said mortar (at least one shelf is in range) but also would detonate their fellows to cause a massive explosion to wipe out raids?

Well time to test this.

A kill corridor lined with neighbor detonating shelves could also work

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

HelloSailorSign posted:

On mountainous maps with few points of entry, how many units of chemfuel stored in shelves would cause a large enough explosion to set out a smattering of shelves that, when hit with a mortar, would not only be near guaranteed a hit by said mortar (at least one shelf is in range) but also would detonate their fellows to cause a massive explosion to wipe out raids?

Well time to test this.

You don't need a mortar for this. Several IEDs would work fine and be more reliable.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

HelloSailorSign posted:

Well time to test this.

This is literally the ied roof collapse hallway premise, except using roof collapse makes it way more effetctive.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
The pristine ruins event- I’m 99% sure im running vanilla and it needs tweaking. I’ve done a few of them now and what a couple have been are maps chock full of loot. Tons of rare resources and extremely high value items along with infrastructure and production.

What happens when you hit one of these is if you manage to run off the massive and well armed forces the moment they leave the map another equally powerful force will raid due to all the value lying on the map. The one I entered tonight had tons of materials and high value items like gold plate armor. They were going against a bunch of gold mini turrets and I managed to attack their flank without too many injuries but the next raid came in HUGE and right on top of me.

Other pristine ruins are a fraction of the value. I hit one that was an empty map, no structures or loot at all.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Of course, not only do I make something far more complicated, it’s the same as a well known strategy I was oblivious to.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Rube Goldberg murder machines are never a mistake though.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
I had a Boomalope named Paco in my recent game and he literally fueled my empire by himself until a Scyther sliced off his "Hump", which is apparently where the fuel is made. He never fueled again, but lived a life of luxury and relaxation.

He self-tamed on like day 3 of the map, so I just saved his fuel for years until I needed it. By the end, I had to build a chemfuel reactor because Paco couldn't do it anymore :(

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Did he still explode when he died?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

robotsinmyhead posted:

I had a Boomalope named Paco in my recent game and he literally fueled my empire by himself until a Scyther sliced off his "Hump", which is apparently where the fuel is made. He never fueled again, but lived a life of luxury and relaxation.

He self-tamed on like day 3 of the map, so I just saved his fuel for years until I needed it. By the end, I had to build a chemfuel reactor because Paco couldn't do it anymore :(
So did you fuel the reactor with Paco meat?

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
Well he speaks of Paco in the past tense but he doesn't say he died, just he lost his hump and stopped making chem fuel.

Poor Paco

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Sten Freak posted:

Well he speaks of Paco in the past tense but he doesn't say he died, just he lost his hump and stopped making chem fuel.

Poor Paco

This does beg the question of if they lose their humps, do they no longer boom? I'm sure the answer is they still explode, but it would be hilarious if the code worked as such that breaching the chemical sacs caused them to detonate prematurely, or removing them rendered them harmless.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Goddamn rimworld modding drama.

It's a suuuuuuuuper lovely thing to delete a mod you made in protest to some stupid poo poo, when it will corrupt the games of potentially hundreds of people due to it being gone.

Days of RL gameplay time gone on a successful randy rough colony because people gotta be spitefully lovely to each other.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

What mod? What happened?

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Ferian Race and More Sculptures, by the same nerd. Don't even know what made them do it, but I'm trying to salvage the save.

They reuploaded the race mod, but because it has a new mod ID and slightly different name the game won't recognise it as the removed mod.

I mean those foxes never even spawned or got a faction as far as I could see anyway.

Edit: manually placing it in the list and overriding the load order allows it to launch, so all is not lost. But still, think of the man-children, mod authors!

McGiggins fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jan 3, 2019

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

You could move the "new" race mod from \Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\294100 to \Steam\steamapps\common\RimWorld\Mods and that might work, but who knows.

Mod drama is always lovely and hilarious.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
My favorite mod drama was between the 2 guys who made nude skin mods and accused one another of stealing the art.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Lmao, nerds never change

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

They reuploaded their mods from the look of things.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

McGiggins posted:

Lmao, nerds never change

What made it really great is just.. ok. Pawns can already be quote unquote "nude" right? They're just flesh tone. So all these competing mods did was add black dots and lines to denote nipples and genitals. Its not like you could really be artistic with that stuff and make your stuff stand out. But they had this heated argument with racial slurs and stuff. It somehow was more petty then Artmoor flipping the gently caress out when a goon made a mod that removed the oblivion gates from his open cities mod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Sten Freak posted:

The pristine ruins event- I’m 99% sure im running vanilla and it needs tweaking.

I’m the 1%. That event is from the Real Ruins mod, and what it does is straight-up import another players’ abandoned base into your game. Which is why the value and difficulty can deviate so much. Quickly assess the base, grab whatever you can and get out.

Alternatively, if you wipe out all enemies on the map you can use the Reform Caravan screen to quickly load all the loot onto your donkeys and bail before another raid shows up. Kiting enemies into still-functioning turrets works well. Downside is that loot in the Fog of War doesn’t show up on the Caravan screen, you need to reveal it first. Which means exploring the base, which gives time for more raiders to show up.

Last note on loot: Silver and other small, precious items like Advanced Components or Bionics are obvious high-priority targets, but I also like to grab advanced workbenches if possible. Particularly ones from mods that tend to be really expensive, like the AI Manager or the various EPOE benches.