Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

The Nastier Nate posted:

If we make it to the point where self driving cars are the norm and you don’t need to own a car anymore that will be a net win for the environment. My car spends 99% of its day in a parking spot in front of my house or office. Eventually cars could become a monthly service fee where you call one up on your phone and only rich fucks will actually own cars as vanity items (like owning a plane or boat).

We could probably cut the number of cars we need to make on this planet in half at the very least.

This is never going to happen. Rednecks want to gently caress their pickup trucks more than they want to gently caress their own family and Fast and furious guys would riot in the streets if you tried to take away their vroom vroom toys. Not to mention car companies would lose tons of money trying and failing to maintain a massive fleet of rental cars. Have you ever seen how people treat rental cars?

It wouldn't even help the environment that much since people would still be driving around in individual consumer cars and most of the pollution comes from big 18 wheeler trucks hailing poo poo around anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I always come back to the fact that as long as people want to ride motorcycles this magical automated driving future is gonna be stuck in first gear.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

I always come back to the fact that as long as people want to ride motorcycles this magical automated driving future is gonna be stuck in first gear.

Outlaw motorcycles, problem solved.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The Nastier Nate posted:

If we make it to the point where self driving cars are the norm and you don’t need to own a car anymore that will be a net win for the environment. My car spends 99% of its day in a parking spot in front of my house or office. Eventually cars could become a monthly service fee where you call one up on your phone and only rich fucks will actually own cars as vanity items (like owning a plane or boat).

We could probably cut the number of cars we need to make on this planet in half at the very least.

The problem with that is it doesn't matter that your car isn't in use at 10 AM, because the vast bulk of car use for most people is focused at the beginning and end of the work day, when everybody wants a car at the same time. You'd have to have a car with a bunch of seats that could handle multiple people at once to be able to really scale back the amount of cars. Also there'd be the traffic from all the extra automated cars clogging up the streets going to and from their central depot when somebody isn't using them, so it might be more efficient to just run circular routes between specified drop/pickup points, and skip having to maneuver around in parking lots all the time in between--and I just described buses. What you want is a more extensive bus system.

The issue isn't that everybody has cars, it's that the city layouts we have made with most people living in non-dense areas an hour away from where they work and commercial districts impractical to travel to/from that makes having a car an absolute necessity if you want to have any sort of individual freedom.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

When cars get automated I'll be an eX Driver who gets to rein them in when they go out of control.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i love when people tell me i should Drive Less and its like. oh, i'll walk that 10 miles to the grocery store every day then. you loving jackass

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

withak posted:

but then only outlaws have them!

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

The Nastier Nate posted:

How can you say with a straight face that if your car was in use 100% of the time instead of 1% that there would be less pollution? Not to mention the traffic! Your car isn't polluting when it's sitting around doing nothing!

Self driving cars are a false promise that, like everything promised by silicon valley, would make worse every problem they claim it would solve. But on top of adding even more traffic and pollution, it'll also take control of driving out of the hands of real people and put it into the control of a bunch of bean counters who will squeeze the entire experience for every fraction of a cent that they can.

And they won't even necessarily be any safer, since car companies have always cut every safety feature they weren't forced to add.

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

cars wont be any better just because their a computer you loving nerds!!!!!

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
cell phone voice recognition cant even get it right but people want to let a robot drive them, hah

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Larry Parrish posted:

i love when people tell me i should Drive Less and its like. oh, i'll walk that 10 miles to the grocery store every day then. you loving jackass

lmao why is anything you need that far away

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

got any sevens posted:

but then only outlaws have them!

You won't outrun the police drones :cop:

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

he lives in the country dude there is a lot of empty space in america!!! in a lot of it that empty space lies between people's homes and other things that are nearby!!

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

WrightOfWay posted:

There's no ethical automation under capitalism.

Unironically this.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
space mogged

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

The Nastier Nate posted:

the suburbs and exurbs are generally defined by the amount of time someone is willing to drive to work. SDCs massively increase the distance people are willing to travel because they no longer have to drive and can do other tasks on their commute. The actual consequence of SDCs under capitalism is going to be a second suburban boom, where we're going to see 150 mile sprawls in all direction, with colossal mcmansions sitting on ten acre lots of non native grass that's destroying the soil ph and consuming tens of thousands of gallons of water.

withak posted:

outlaw everything except motorcycles.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

*sighs and adds another thing to the list of things that are only cool if we institute communism first*

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

*hails automated car and starts commute to work, breathing sigh of relief at how much better this is for the environment*

*gets infuriated at sitting in rush hour traffic still and starts thinking about subterranean car subway networks traveling at 150 mph*

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

lmao why is anything you need that far away

i have to live with family because the ISS is soon going to be cheaper to rent than anything in California. and unfortunately, despite 90% of the US living in a city or suburb, I dont

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

The Nastier Nate posted:

things like this look good at first glance, but if you really delve into the numbers you find that they're far less workable than they might appear

there still needs to be enough cars to handle peak commuter load. and because the vast majority of commutes are concentrated around rush hour, that means that only small reductions in the total number of cars are possible. and the rest of the time, most of those cars are sitting in a parking garage unused. of course, you can't shrink parking areas much either, since they're needed as dropoff/pickup spaces

moreover, a car sitting in a parking space unused has very little impact on the environment. the big environmental cost isn't building the car or having it in a parking spot - it's driving the car. having an empty car drive back and forth is far worse than having it sit around in a parking lot

you could resolve many of these issues by careful planning, scheduling, and restrictions on users. for example, designated dropoff/pickup areas, a set dropoff/pickup schedule that's spaced out for overall system efficiency even if it means individuals might have to wait a little longer, and forced carpooling of people with similar destinations in special high-occupancy vehicles. but at that point you're maybe two steps away from just reinventing the bus

the selling point of self-driving cars is convenience, not efficiency. cars simply can't be an efficient system, ever. there's just too much overhead and clunkiness inherent in an unrestricted anywhere-to-anywhere-at-any-time system

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

North America was built around cars. Everything is spaced way far apart. My city doesn't even have sidewalks on a bunch of roads in the middle of the city. Not having a car means not having mobility.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
I've always wondered why we're so hell bent on having everyone start their work day at the same time. It doesn't make sense. Why would anyone want school to start around the same time as work when everyone has a half hour commute minimum? We could probably cut down on the amount of cars owned by families if we staggered work times. Otherwise even the driverless car idea wouldn't really help much.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

autism ZX spectrum posted:

I've always wondered why we're so hell bent on having everyone start their work day at the same time. It doesn't make sense. Why would anyone want school to start around the same time as work when everyone has a half hour commute minimum? We could probably cut down on the amount of cars owned by families if we staggered work times. Otherwise even the driverless car idea wouldn't really help much.

capitalists getting irregular hours back will probably mean more lovely graveyard shifts and such

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

There could just be less work I dunno. :shrug:

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

My work has slightly staggered shifts to help cover peak times, so I actually do go in slightly later than the normal time. While it is nice that I miss the majority of rush hour traffic the downside is that I get home significantly later than my wife/friends. So if we want to do anything after work they have to wait for me. I also get even less daylight free time, especially in winter. The folks with the most seniority get the shifts that start early.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
any sort of scheme to alleviate societal problems will necessarily fail as long as capitalism exists, because none of the schemes will actually exist to alleviate societal problems, just to make more money.

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋
https://twitter.com/cnni/status/1080186899397074948

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

We could cut way down on commuting if everyone with computer touching jobs was encouraged to work from home as much as possible

if you don’t actually need to be present in an office there’s no reason to sit in traffic for an hour burning gas just to sit in front of a slightly different computer all day

Rhesus Pieces has issued a correction as of 21:16 on Jan 1, 2019

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

because everyone lives in society, and having predictable and consistent schedules shared among large groups of people makes it a lot easier for society to accommodate those schedules. it also benefits business in a number of different ways

having everyone start and end their workday at about the same time makes it much easier to organize pre-workday and post-workday activities

for example, school doesn't usually start around the same time as work - it starts a little earlier, so that kids can be sent to/taken to school shortly before people leave for work

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

all the guys in my lab drive in from the southern part of the county and they all work 5:30-2:00 shifts to avoid having long commute times. I stroll in at 7 because gently caress waking up that early

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

When delivery bots arrive there will finally be a reason to copy that one kreosan video where they took a microwave apart and turned it into a beam weapon.

"for the third time this week, some yahoo hijacked a robovan and plowed it into a school crossing. tragedies like this one are simply the price we pay for freedom."

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

https://twitter.com/loouisfernandes/status/1080220538457546752

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

Rhesus Pieces posted:

We could cut way down on commuting if everyone with computer touching jobs was encouraged to work from home as much as possible

if you don’t actually need to be present in an office there’s no reason to sit in traffic for an hour burning gas just to sit in front of a slightly different computer all day

Agreed. My very small software company ditched our offices 4 years ago and it has been a win/win for everyone involved. It even allowed some people to relocate when they wanted/needed to, and now half our company isn't even in the same state.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

theyd rather trust robots than foreigners

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

all the guys in my lab drive in from the southern part of the county and they all work 5:30-2:00 shifts to avoid having long commute times. I stroll in at 7 because gently caress waking up that early

same except i dont come in until 8:30 because gently caress waking up that early

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Rhesus Pieces posted:

The problem with telecommuting is that you're basically working 24hrs a day. At least physically hauling your meat bag out of the office sets a psychological end to the work day.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/josephfcox/status/1079829670307217409

who on earth could have seen this coming????

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

those new iphones can probably make this happen in real time once someone programs an app for it

e: probably can see through clothes too

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah telecommuting is the worst thing I've ever heard of. Whenever my dad took a day like that as a kid he was basically expected to always be by his computer and phone, which hilariously wasn't expected when he was physically at work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
it's a lot easier with cell phones but frankly working from home kinda stresses me out cause the context of getting random phone calls on my personal cell phone is kind of a pain in the rear end. it's like the crap skinner box at work but in the place where i should be relaxing instead.

if I ever got a full time wfh job i'd probably build and insulate a shed in the back yard to give myself a small office space completely divorced from my home