Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

SelenicMartian posted:

Panzer Corps has an 88% sale in my region.

😬

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

SelenicMartian posted:

Panzer Corps has an 88% sale in my region.

Your region is lucky; that's big even for GOG. I think that the base game is 90% off in North America, but the expansions are at 66%.

Panzer Corps Gold is the last PC game that I bought on physical media. I bought the digital version of Panzer Corps with all of the patches and expansions back in 2016 and there was an option for about $11 to have a physical DVD shipped to you as well. I was so enchanted that someone still released modern PC games on physical media that I bought a copy and put it in my binder. Apart from that, I literally cannot remember the last time that I bought a PC game on disk with the exception of one of the Men of War games from 2006 that has never been released digitally.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

JustJeff88 posted:

Your region is lucky; that's big even for GOG. I think that the base game is 90% off in North America, but the expansions are at 66%.

Lucky, but still very unfortunate.

:hitler:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Ok I might give any other game not related to Hitler a pass but oh boy

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I would like to go on record that the digits in my user name were those I always used for sport. I would also like to add that, even though I just bought a few expansions for Sudden Strike 4 and Order of Battle on the sale, I am not a white supremacist. I'm British and literally just learned about the horrid appropriation of the number 88 this very year. I'm also Jewish.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

JustJeff88 posted:

I would like to go on record that the digits in my user name were those I always used for sport. I would also like to add that, even though I just bought a few expansions for Sudden Strike 4 and Order of Battle on the sale, I am not a white supremacist. I'm British and literally just learned about the horrid appropriation of the number 88 this very year. I'm also Jewish.

Yeah, it’s kind of unfortunate how now someone with an 88 in their username is either 30 or a Nazi. It’s like 69, where they’re either 49 or 12.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I know THAT feeling :sigh:. It being my birth year made it a go-to suffix for a couple of usernames when I needed to toss a number on the end before I found out about that nasty little detail.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Yeah, it’s kind of unfortunate how now someone with an 88 in their username is either 30 or a Nazi. It’s like 69, where they’re either 49 or 12.
Or Asian.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
What exactly is up with GOG's Fair Price Package during sales? Does it not apply then? Because it still said I should get a few euro's as wallet credit in each game's store page (albeit they were all on discount) but apparently that did not happen...

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Everspace: UDPB25C3970**5DAIE

Before christ

Fantasy General: **ME4C5C602153D0AU

physical training

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Buller posted:

Everspace: UDPB25C3970**5DAIE

Before christ

Snagged this one. Baby Jesus says "thanks bro".

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

Myron posted:

E V E R S P A C E isn't really my type of game so if anyone wants it for free*:
UDPB987xDE944F5FDx

*replace the lower case xs wih upper case As.

Just quoting this because no one grabbed it yet I guess?

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Myron posted:

Just quoting this because no one grabbed it yet I guess?

Just tried it and it's gone now

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I have a Far Cry 2 code that I sent a friend in 2013 that he never redeemed. PM me if you think you're gonna play it. Hopefully it still works.

edit: claimed!

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Dec 30, 2018

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I spent just over $15 for a few expansion packs to war games and received Everspace. I felt kind of bed for the devs not getting any money, so I plumped another $5 for the content expansion. I realise that that's not much and that there is another add-on, but I don't see the appeal in paying money, sometimes quite a bit, for a soundtrack and a few desktop wallpapers.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

I also got Fantasy General and Everspace and don't want either.

Fantasy General: PTME9DF6C582CB2AT5
Everspace: Gifted!

Captain Scandinaiva fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jan 1, 2019

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I kept Everspace for myself but I have a Fantasy General key as well if anyone fancies it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

doctorfrog posted:

I have a Far Cry 2 code that I sent a friend in 2013 that he never redeemed. PM me if you think you're gonna play it. Hopefully it still works.

edit: claimed!

Whoever took it is gonna get to play the best far cry. I loved 2, poo poo would go so wrong and you’d have to roll with it. I think the weapon degradation was great and should have stayed for the current games.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Far Cry 2 was supremely annoying, with pretty much every aspect being ill conceived. It's a great game if you love getting frustrated by nonsensical game mechanics (respawning checkpoints, overly aggressive enemies, weapons jamming constantly) and enjoy weirdly sped up voice acting (because they needed to save disc space for the 360 version).

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Lambert posted:

Far Cry 2 was supremely annoying, with pretty much every aspect being ill conceived. It's a great game if you love getting frustrated by nonsensical game mechanics (respawning checkpoints, overly aggressive enemies, weapons jamming constantly) and enjoy weirdly sped up voice acting (because they needed to save disc space for the 360 version).

I played Far Cry 2 fairly extensively and I wanted to like it so much. It even had a rather strong story with that did a good job of conveying the state of trouble parts of Africa combined with a complex villain and an oddly touching ending, which is incredible for what is essentially a shooter with bells on. Sadly, for most of the above reasons as well as the infuriating stealth mechanics, I couldn't get invested in it. I also found the visuals rather hard to embrace after the bright colours and radically different presentation of Far Cry 1, but that's a triviality. It strikes me as the sort of game that could be incredible with some mod work to touch up the problem areas, but apparently the way that the game was written made it virtually impossible to modify in any meaningful way.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

yeah, gibbed has already gone in, kicked the hood up and just put it back down after seeing the gigantic, mountainous, randomly ordered and unlabeled mess of assets

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

scamtank posted:

yeah, gibbed has already gone in, kicked the hood up and just put it back down after seeing the gigantic, mountainous, randomly ordered and unlabeled mess of assets

Is there a story on that somewhere? I remember playing it and getting super annoyed by some of these design choices and saw that he had some basic tools on his website, which made me wonder why no one did anything more.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Everspace code for whoever wants it. Let me know if you're able to claim it: UDPB8B153A29C5161P

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

orcane posted:

Is there a story on that somewhere? I remember playing it and getting super annoyed by some of these design choices and saw that he had some basic tools on his website, which made me wonder why no one did anything more.

Decompiling games is half programming half archaeology, you dont have the source code, but you can see what the source code does. If it has a ton of half finished code, or weird hacks, or a bunch of unoptimised or redundant chaff, its going to be so much effort to poke and prod and figure it out, you have to really like the game to go further

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Far Cry 2 is great and it's a shame we'll never get an HD remake in an engine that doesn't just despawn and spawn each cell as you leave/enter them (which is why checkpoints respawn).

I recommend using this mod (which fixes the game so enemies are no longer giant bullet sponges) and playing on the hardest difficulty for the best experience.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

Sniper Party posted:

Having played it, it's probably my favourite horror game ever. Not only are the atmosphere and play top notch, the story is way better than any of Frictional's other games.

Seconding this. And its main theme/philosophising on what it means to be alive really hits hard

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.

Lambert posted:

I get frustrated with adventure games repeating themselves or having obtuse puzzles, but I loved it when poo poo went sour in Far Cry 2. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but I did like it.

But like you mention, the sped up dialog makes listening to anyone a real pain and I can't play long because of that.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Far Cry 2 was a very fun thing to adjust to on the fly when the poo poo was hitting the fan. Even though it is one of my most favorite games and sort of a yardstick I measure other FPS games with, I only made it about 2/3 through, having seen more than enough of what it was capable of. A beautiful game, but it felt like it wanted to do more.

Early on, you're told to look at your compass, and the GPS asset itself I think is called a compass. With no further evidence, I decided that it was probably intended to be something you'd have to navigate with and not have a magical cursor on a map. Fire propagation during internal testing was said to get enough out of control as to burn down half the map. Talk from mission dispensers early in the game indicated to me that there might have been a factional/reputational system similar to RPGs or space sims. The missions are flat, similar, and simple, like the sort of thing that could be endlessly generated as needed. In some early iteration I wonder if it was intended to be something like what we might call a mercenary survival game.

I think that there were to be larger, more interlocking systems that they just didn't have the bandwidth to shoehorn into the game. This is just my dumbass take, though. Who knows if the convoys were intended to just go in circles forever, or if there was to be actual logistics routes for you to disrupt? I'm guessing some deeper ideas were there, but they had to scale them way down.

Far Cry 2 feels like a tech demo to me for a game that's still waiting to be made, but the industry took a different direction: that you should never feel lost, uncertain, unprepared, or wonder where an enemy is. We'll fix what was wrong with FC2 by supplying you with magic maps, floating icons everywhere, and x-ray vision tagging of enemies. Firefights: what you want and when you want it. Future Far Crys seemed to retain the crazed action but removed all the uncertainty and discovery. I guess STALKER kind of inherited that wind. Maybe the Lord of the Rings game where you make nemeses did, too, and the open world Tom Clancy one set in Latin America.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jan 2, 2019

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

doctorfrog posted:

Far Cry 2 was a very fun thing to adjust to on the fly when the poo poo was hitting the fan. Even though it is one of my most favorite games and sort of a yardstick I measure other FPS games with, I only made it about 2/3 through, having seen more than enough of what it was capable of. A beautiful game, but it felt like it wanted to do more.

Early on, you're told to look at your compass, and the GPS asset itself I think is called a compass. With no further evidence, I decided that it was probably intended to be something you'd have to navigate with and not have a magical cursor on a map. Fire propagation during internal testing was said to get enough out of control as to burn down half the map. Talk from mission dispensers early in the game indicated to me that there might have been a factional/reputational system similar to RPGs or space sims. The missions are flat, similar, and simple, like the sort of thing that could be endlessly generated as needed. In some early iteration I wonder if it was intended to be something like what we might call a mercenary survival game.

I think that there were to be larger, more interlocking systems that they just didn't have the bandwidth to shoehorn into the game. This is just my dumbass take, though. Who knows if the convoys were intended to just go in circles forever, or if there was to be actual logistics routes for you to disrupt? I'm guessing some deeper ideas were there, but they had to scale them way down.

Far Cry 2 feels like a tech demo to me for a game that's still waiting to be made, but the industry took a different direction: that you should never feel lost, uncertain, unprepared, or wonder where an enemy is. We'll fix what was wrong with FC2 by supplying you with magic maps, floating icons everywhere, and x-ray vision tagging of enemies. Firefights: what you want and when you want it. Future Far Crys seemed to retain the crazed action but removed all the uncertainty and discovery. I guess STALKER kind of inherited that wind. Maybe the Lord of the Rings game where you make nemeses did, too, and the open world Tom Clancy one set in Latin America.

You make me some very compelling points, frog. Can anyone who has played Far Cry 3 tell me how the various mechanics were similar and/or related to 2? All I know about it is that it involves a bunch of rich twats enslaved on a tropical island, and I know about the end which I won't spoil. I know that it's not on GOG and a bit of a thread detour, but I picked the game up earlier this year on Steam at a massive discount yet have not played it or Blood Dragon.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I have some very fond memories of Far Cry 2, but they're only fond insofar as they're memories. If I were to pick it up today, or even travel back in time and watch myself play it, I suspect it wouldn't be as nice of an experience.

The big standout memory I have is of some boring fetch-quest mission to recover some files from a gas station outpost. I show up in my jeep and immediately get fired on, so I jump out and use the jeep for cover, return fire and lob some grenades, a gas pump catches one of them. Huge fireball, flames in the grass surrounding the gas station, people freaking out and running for their lives. I realize I better get into the gas station and grab the package before the whole thing explodes, so I full sprint towards a window, soften it up with a couple rounds, and jump through. I grab the files off the desk and look up just in time to see flames rising up the walls of the station proper and engulfing the remaining gas pumps, so I turn around and bounce out the back door as the whole place explodes. Real action movie poo poo, or it would have been, if the place had actually exploded. Once I'm clear out the door, I turn around to survey the carnage only to find that the fire had extinguished suddenly for no apparent loving reason just as it was spreading through the gas station. The only signs left of it were some charred grass and that single busted pump. Even the walls of the gas station which were blazing moments ago looked pristine.

That's pretty much FC2 in a nutshell. It's blueballs manifested as an action setpiece.

JustJeff88 posted:

You make me some very compelling points, frog. Can anyone who has played Far Cry 3 tell me how the various mechanics were similar and/or related to 2? All I know about it is that it involves a bunch of rich twats enslaved on a tropical island, and I know about the end which I won't spoil. I know that it's not on GOG and a bit of a thread detour, but I picked the game up earlier this year on Steam at a massive discount yet have not played it or Blood Dragon.

Every subsequent game since FC3 has been identical to it, from what I've been lead to believe. They took everything that purportedly "worked" in FC2, piled on a load of sidequests, craftables and collectables, and cut anything that resembled experimentation. All the jank was hammered out, they doubled down on the overbearing cutscenes involving you as a fish-out-of-water up against some super nasty rear end bad dude, honed in on the ultimate "firefights per minute" ratio, and the wildfire mechanics are still present and entirely unchanged since their inception: they burn in a 10' radius and then magically go out. There are no left-over traces of ambition, only the hallmarks of formulaic systems that have repeatedly proven to engage and smoothen the user experience™. They're pretty much the epitome of "standard video game product" for FPS games, like Madden is for football or Angry Birds is for toddlers. They're fun to dick around in for a bit, but I wouldn't invest more than a few bucks and a few hours in them personally. The big recommendation I seem to read is "play Blood Dragon, skip FC3" since it's a pretty representative slice of what those games are without all the chaff and a lovely supposed "Alice in Wonderland" allegory of a story that takes itself too seriously. I'd take it further and say "play Blood Dragon until you're bored, skip the rest of the franchise." You won't be missing much.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Just dropping this video here as I really like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCeEvQ68jY8

Far Cry 2 did stuff that future Far Cry games never bothered to continue on. It's all heavily focus tested now, nobody wants to make games where you're an awful person doing awful things and awful things are happening to the player character in return anymore. The new Far Cry games are more like, you're an awful person trying to kill another awful person except maybe the person you're trying to kill is good all along and you're just an idiot? Who cares, killing people is fun!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Far Cry 2 did stuff that future Far Cry games never bothered to continue on.
Like "be roughly as fun to actually play as actually having malaria yet somehow have weird and often terrible people loudly and constantly scream about how innovative and amazing it is and holy poo poo you guys look at the grenade it's rolling down a hill I'm spurtin' here"?

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
What are people's thoughts on Convoy?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Hannibal Rex posted:

The problem with Convoy is that you can only bottle lightning once and FTL got this particular bolt.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Far Cry 5 is the last time I let an overenthusiastic thread trick me into paying full price for an Ubisoft game. In my defense, I was itchy for an FPS to play but it's just annoying and the gunplay doesn't outweigh the Ubisoft-ness of it. On the other hand the last 2 AC games I waited to get on sale and they would have been easily worth $60, so maybe it's just Far Cry that ends up making me feel ripped off.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Hannibal Rex posted:

It's not a good game.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

for me, Convoy committed the unforgivable sin of doing pixel graphics and then just resizing the assets all willy nilly so they're malformed and choppy-looking

either you draw a hi-res something so you can tweak it as you like or you take responsibility from the start for all the individual pixels you're placing

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
The only greater sin is pixel graphics drawn at arbitrary angles

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Just dropping this video here as I really like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCeEvQ68jY8

Far Cry 2 did stuff that future Far Cry games never bothered to continue on. It's all heavily focus tested now, nobody wants to make games where you're an awful person doing awful things and awful things are happening to the player character in return anymore. The new Far Cry games are more like, you're an awful person trying to kill another awful person except maybe the person you're trying to kill is good all along and you're just an idiot? Who cares, killing people is fun!

I always call Far Cry 2 a Worst Person Shooter. That game pushes you to gutshoot dudes so you can get his buddy while he tries to rescue him, or leaving a car on the side of the road so you know when to set off your IED on a convoy ambush. It’s great at getting you in that miserable guerilla war headspace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
That's funny, because I always call Far Cry 2 a terrible game.