Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

https://twitter.com/mannyfidel/status/1080209640657440773

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Mooseontheloose posted:

It was like 5 years ago, I am not sure if I can find the article but the death of small local churches have caused a big problem too. To fill the void, megachurches popped up and started preaching prosperity bible. So between a lack of local churches people chose between no organized Christianity (like you are talking about with the CHUD types) or themegachurch. They feel no connection in their localities and live in places that are designed around not getting people together.

Yeah this is the kind of stuff I'm referring to, it's much harder to destroy and alienate your neighbors when your civically engaged, and right now the culture is more concerned about capital than people's well being.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Mooseontheloose posted:

Peterson sounds like he is for the right wingers who are too "smart" for religion and need pseudo science to back up their horrible disgusting views on race and gender.

The weird thing is that Peterson himself is quite religious as far as we can tell

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

https://twitter.com/kanyewest/status/1079833972014645248

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Squalid posted:

I'm not going to double check this but I recall there was statistical evidence that this is a true characterization. That is a lot of the more extreme far right Trump people came from christian backgrounds and continue to identify as cultural christians, despite their rates of church attendance and other overt participation in christian institutions declining.

There's a lot of contradictory trends in modern evangelicalism. For example the much maligned trend towards the so called mega-churchers with thousands service goers have often had a moderating effect on the political messages distributed from the pulpit. This is because politics is anathema to mass market appeal. Their large size requires them to be inoffensive so as to continue to appeal to as many demographic groups as possible. As a result their services tend to be much more diverse than small neighborhood churches, which have traditionally been extremely segregated by race and language.

I don't know if you've ever been in a megachurch, or watched an hour of Joel Osteen, but one can coat their political (or simply selfish) message with the most inoffensive, pleasant-sounding, linguistic styrofoam that you want, but it's still there, reason be damned. I mean, you're right, smaller congregations have pastors/priests that aren't nationally televised and can politicize their sermon much more easily, but trust me, it's a big problem. It depends on the megachurch. Some of them are pure capatalistic grift-mansions, and some are political megaphones. But as always, there's "porque no los dos?"

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jan 1, 2019

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

50 cent as the voice of reason. '19 coming on with a bumpy start.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

KickerOfMice posted:

I don't know if you've ever been in a megachurch, or watched an hour of Joel Osteen, but one can coat their political (or simply selfish) message with the most inoffensive, pleasant-sounding, linguistic styrofoam that you want, but it's still there, reason be damned. I mean, you're right, smaller congregations have pastors/priests that aren't nationally televised and can politicize their sermon much more easily, but trust me, it's a big problem. It depends on the megachurch. Some of them are pure capatalistic grift-mansions, and some are political megaphones. But as always, there's "porque no los dos?"

Imagine if they had to pay taxes.

Katt posted:

50 cent as the voice of reason. '19 coming on with a bumpy start.

9 years ago.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe
I apologize if my ranting is coming off as militant-athiest, or anti-religious, I assure you it's not. I've just got a whole herd of beef with people who would use the faith of others to enrich themselves, or their political funders.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

ZypherIM posted:

Well actual mental illness, but something that has also been happening I think is that he doesn't seem to have anyone who course corrects him when he veers off into the weeds of mental thought. Suddenly he is tweeting the craziest poo poo and doesn't seem to listen to anyone.

https://twitter.com/kanyewest/status/1080212949464043520

i think there are some issues with control/perceived control too.

sexpig by night posted:

I'm genuinely curious what poo poo like Jordan Peterson popularizing his right wing christian morality as a secular 'natural order' claptrap is gonna do to those kinds of numbers. Like, yea I'm sure most of his fans consider themselves atheist or agnostic but do they also spout his 'there is objective good and evil in the world and women must submit to men and horf horf horf' poo poo that's just right wing protestant fascism without the jesus? Does it matter if they 'consider themselves religious' any more to anyone but the clergy who are losing the butts in seats?

yeah. i think alot of it is them wanting to feel like a counter culture(religion is on the decline in western society) also alot of them jerk off the whole "western civilizations and the arts and poo poo". its more of a cultureal aesthetic then anything.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea I mean we can laugh at Liberty U and Falwell all day (and believe me, I will) but at the end of the day, politically, IS there any difference between some Liberty U student who thinks God has blessed Trump because no matter what he'll protect the babies and put the faggots in their place and some dink at NYU who thinks Trump is an alpha badass because no matter what he's triggering the libs by loving up women's health and putting trans people in their place?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

KickerOfMice posted:

I apologize if my ranting is coming off as militant-athiest, or anti-religious, I assure you it's not. I've just got a whole herd of beef with people who would use the faith of others to enrich themselves, or their political funders.

well, if you say so

*crumples up plans for neo Hindu cult of personality, throws them in trash*

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe
Speaking of religion, you know who is going to hell? The testicle-face who broke into my car last night and stole everything out of the glove box!

Who steals sunglasses and hand sanitizer?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

sexpig by night posted:

Yea I mean we can laugh at Liberty U and Falwell all day (and believe me, I will) but at the end of the day, politically, IS there any difference between some Liberty U student who thinks God has blessed Trump because no matter what he'll protect the babies and put the faggots in their place and some dink at NYU who thinks Trump is an alpha badass because no matter what he's triggering the libs by loving up women's health and putting trans people in their place?

yes, because one of them would support Pence et al

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

It doesn't matter if Kanye is mentally ill or not he is still bad.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

GreyjoyBastard posted:

yes, because one of them would support Pence et al

But the Peterson Pepe crew will support Pence! He's also just doing the ~natural order~ because he hates women and LGBT folks.

I 100% promise you even without Trump's charisma for these people they will still give Pence and any other social right winger the same 'he triggers the libs, he's alpha, they're scared of him!' treatment.

I mean these people say Shapiro is alpha logic daddy too and Pence could kick his rear end!

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

KickerOfMice posted:

Speaking of religion, you know who is going to hell? The testicle-face who broke into my car last night and stole everything out of the glove box!

Hungover people concerned about disease?

Sucks though, window probably worth more than what they stole.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

sexpig by night posted:

But the Peterson Pepe crew will support Pence! He's also just doing the ~natural order~ because he hates women and LGBT folks.

I 100% promise you even without Trump's charisma for these people they will still give Pence and any other social right winger the same 'he triggers the libs, he's alpha, they're scared of him!' treatment.

I mean these people say Shapiro is alpha logic daddy too and Pence could kick his rear end!

Yeah but they wouldn't be as enthusiastic for him. Fewer of them would show up and vote. It'll make a difference.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

KickerOfMice posted:

Someone with pinkeye?

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

KickerOfMice posted:

I have not and god willing will never. There's a reason I chose the word "moderating" rather than a word like liberalizing to describe what has happened.

The logic is fairly simple, the greater the scale of a church, the greater their expenses and therefore the larger pool of capital they need to acquire. As the money of Blacks and Hispanics is just as green as that of Whites, it doesn't pay to alienate these demographics. The same is not true of small churchs in highly segregated neighborhoods, like the Georgia church expelled from the Baptist community this summer, which only need to appeal to a narrower slice of the culture. Their need to maintain an effective capitalist grift constrains even if it doesn't prohibit a lot of political behavior. This was on display when Trump first tried to implement his travel ban -- immigrants are a big growth demographic for these kinds of churchs and their leaders weren't happy for them to be got rid of

Caros
May 14, 2008

KickerOfMice posted:

Might be able to sell the sunglasses, and depending on desperation, drink the hand sanitizer.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

sexpig by night posted:

One is closer to me and I will enjoy setting them off throwing a hail satan.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Crabtree posted:

One is closer to me and I will enjoy setting them off throwing a hail satan.

this, this is fair

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Jack2142 posted:

It doesn't matter if Kanye is mentally ill or not he is still bad.

yeah mental illness might make Kanye post bad but it can't make someone like Trump. That poo poo is all on him.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

KickerOfMice posted:

Look for someone with weak eyes and dirty hands

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

theflyingorc posted:

Look for someone with weak eyes and dirty hands

you'll never catch me

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

sexpig by night posted:

It's not really a matter of whether people will support him, but whether Pence will gather a large enough following to stay relevant. For those not aware of Indiana politics, he was despised by the end and had no future outside of super niche right wing evangelical crowd. He's not someone who can soak up hatred and anger like Trump does.

What Trump has is a cult of personality behind him. That requires charisma, no matter how manufactured it is. Pence does not have this charisma and so the cult of personality will disperse as cults do when their leader leaves. People will still support Pence, but his problem is that he'll trend evangelical when it appears that you can be everything Jesus despised and still get away with it. Many would vote for the devil himself if he helped maintain their status and power.

The republican party is a changed institution and I doubt that it will respond well to the loss of its cult leader. You can't just wind back down from that. On top of that mess, you're looking at an ongoing demographics collapse. Millenials and whatever generation that follows eventually them is eventually referred to are extremely politically active. The neoliberal order which has existed since the end of world war 2 is being challenged in a real way for the first time and it's not particularly aware of how to make a case for itself. We're currently testing the republican party, authoritarianism, white supremacy and fascism, and it's failing too because Trump is a fuckup. I thank my lucky stars just how incompetent Trump is, because America would be turbofucked by a competent fascist.

Personally I think that we're going to be testing some leftist policies come 2020-2024 as well as undoing the damage from the Trump administration. There's going to be a push by the American people to see if that works or not. Not because leftist policies are some natural end result of this mess, but because I believe that certain political ideologies are being tested and found to fail.

Obama failed in 2008 because he wanted to negotiate with people who hated him instead of lead. He had all of this political capital to completely revolutionize the country and squandered it.

Trump is failing now because he's incompetent and the republicans are failing because they're enabling him.

I am almost positive that we're going to see left leaning policies being floated in 2020 and there's going to be serious interest in them by constituents. We're going to see a wild swing back to democrats with house, senate and presidency all being captured by them. And again we'll see if the dems will take the lead or trip over their dicks again. There isn't going to be a super majority in the senate, but for two years you're going to get a majority and that's enough to get poo poo done. I don't expect the ownership classes are going to get taken to task, but you're going to see some interesting stuff as democrats do what they can to grasp and maintain power.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Caros posted:

Might be able to sell the sunglasses, and depending on desperation, drink the hand sanitizer.

Nah, the only fancy things I own are the kitchen stuff, and satan and God both help you if you try to take them from me.

sexpig by night posted:

you'll never catch me

The chase begins. :devil:

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Ice Phisherman posted:

It's not really a matter of whether people will support him, but whether Pence will gather a large enough following to stay relevant. For those not aware of Indiana politics, he was despised by the end and had no future outside of super niche right wing evangelical crowd. He's not someone who can soak up hatred and anger like Trump does.

What Trump has is a cult of personality behind him. That requires charisma, no matter how manufactured it is. Pence does not have this charisma and so the cult of personality will disperse as cults do when their leader leaves. People will still support Pence, but his problem is that he'll trend evangelical when it appears that you can be everything Jesus despised and still get away with it. Many would vote for the devil himself if he helped maintain their status and power.

The republican party is a changed institution and I doubt that it will respond well to the loss of its cult leader. You can't just wind back down from that. On top of that mess, you're looking at an ongoing demographics collapse. Millenials and whatever generation that follows eventually them is eventually referred to are extremely politically active. The neoliberal order which has existed since the end of world war 2 is being challenged in a real way for the first time and it's not particularly aware of how to make a case for itself. We're currently testing the republican party, authoritarianism, white supremacy and fascism, and it's failing too because Trump is a fuckup. I thank my lucky stars just how incompetent Trump is, because America would be turbofucked by a competent fascist.

Personally I think that we're going to be testing some leftist policies come 2020-2024 as well as undoing the damage from the Trump administration. There's going to be a push by the American people to see if that works or not. Not because leftist policies are some natural end result of this mess, but because I believe that certain political ideologies are being tested and found to fail.

Obama failed in 2008 because he wanted to negotiate with people who hated him instead of lead. He had all of this political capital to completely revolutionize the country and squandered it.

Trump is failing now because he's incompetent and the republicans are failing because they're enabling him.

I am almost positive that we're going to see left leaning policies being floated in 2020 and there's going to be serious interest in them by constituents. We're going to see a wild swing back to democrats with house, senate and presidency all being captured by them. And again we'll see if the dems will take the lead or trip over their dicks again. There isn't going to be a super majority in the senate, but for two years you're going to get a majority and that's enough to get poo poo done. I don't expect the ownership classes are going to get taken to task, but you're going to see some interesting stuff as democrats do what they can to grasp and maintain power.

You're ignoring the filibuster on multiple points here

Kale
May 14, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Trump so obviously doesn’t understand what it means in a practical sense that the Dems now have control over the House that it hurts

Can you imagine him if he had started his term and he either didn't have the house or the entirety of Congress? He's totally unprepared to be checked at all by the House that up until now has given him the freest ride of seen of any modern president and it's already man child meltdown marathon every day so I can't imagine what it looks like ramped the gently caress up in about oh I'd say....a week. He literally gets to enjoy about 40 more hours of relative peace. Like he has no idea how much he's pissed the holidays and the last days of the easiest time he's probably ever going to get as president away. At least the topic of his bitching is probably about to get a lot more consistent. Nancy Pelosi won't just agree with every single stupid idea that comes into my head and whip it through the house, what a nasty woman etc. etc.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Mooseontheloose posted:

It was like 5 years ago, I am not sure if I can find the article but the death of small local churches have caused a big problem too. To fill the void, megachurches popped up and started preaching prosperity bible. So between a lack of local churches people chose between no organized Christianity (like you are talking about with the CHUD types) or themegachurch. They feel no connection in their localities and live in places that are designed around not getting people together.

Depends where you live I guess. In the South there's no lack of small local churches. Usually they'll rent out space in school cafeterias on Sundays until they get enough members to pay for a permanent location.

My grandmother-in-law, upon visiting from Vermont, couldn't get over how many churches we had.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Also the 'relevancy' of the president means nothing as long as the party supports him and if anything Pence would enjoy even more party support than Trump

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Ice Phisherman posted:

I get a real Hugo Chavez/Maduro dynamic between Trump/Pence: first guy promises the moon, makes a gigantic mess, and leaves an incompetent guy behind that lacks the charisma to keep the bullshit going.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

KickerOfMice posted:

A junkie who is desperate for anything they can possibly sell or trade to get their next fix.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

DarkHorse posted:

I get a real Hugo Chavez/Maduro dynamic between Trump/Pence: first guy promises the moon, makes a gigantic mess, and leaves an incompetent guy behind that lacks the charisma to keep the bullshit going.

This is incredibly unfair to Hugo imo

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

kidkissinger posted:

This is incredibly unfair to Hugo imo

you can blame a lot on western governments loving up Venezuela but Hugo was also real dumb

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Has old Congress officially gaveled out or can they still do some last minute fuckery tomorrow?

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

A junkie who is desperate for anything they can possibly sell or trade to get their next fix.

I realize this, I was just making a joke out an extremely goofy burglary. :rolleyes:
Nothing important was stolen, I'm not really goona sweat it.

But they were really cool sunglasses! :argh:

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
When AOC is old enough to run for president I hope this is her campaign song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acT_PSAZ7BQ

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Kammat posted:

Has old Congress officially gaveled out or can they still do some last minute fuckery tomorrow?

I think legally they could but there's enough procedural hurdles that I doubt they'd have the time. Plus all of the people who lost their seats have gone home for the holidays and aren't going to come back for a symbolic act. Besides that, the House passing another bill to stall out in the Senate won't really accomplish anything that wasn't accomplished a week ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

KickerOfMice posted:

I hope they meet the person who broke into my car and stole loose change a few years ago when I was visiting my mother in the hospital after surgery.