Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
4e still has a defiling option. Like, I feel the need to point that out. It's just not exactly the same as the 2e one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

theironjef posted:

Yeah, I was real surprised to get such a vociferous response about it. He really liked the thematics of having to choose between lovely spellcasting and destroying the world, I guess.

People like the weirdest details. I once went to play Planescape with a group who were really into the magic items losing a +1 for every plane away from their home plane (and stuff that worked differently in general). For them, a big part of the fun was finding and trading for (or stealing) the exact right gear for their upcoming mission. They had lists and charts.

That stuff isn't my idea of fun, but hey, they'd been going for years, playing oldschool "find out what the current specific trick is" D&D but in Planescape.

E: and 2e defilers aren't about reining wizards in. Preservers are normal 2e wizards. They don't get penalties. Defilers get faster advancement at the cost of ruining the world.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jan 1, 2019

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

ProfessorCirno posted:

4e still has a defiling option. Like, I feel the need to point that out. It's just not exactly the same as the 2e one.

I feel like that wasn't at question and has even been mentioned a couple times?

:confused:

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS
While I've got no strong feelings about the 2e version of defiling, I did feel like the incentive in 4e to consider defiling was pretty limited. Its a reroll on a daily arcane power, which is nice, but in turn also damages all your allies within 20 squares. Between a lot of dailies already doing some measure of damage or effect even on a miss, and the various other ways to get rerolls a lot of class/race combos have, it just never seemed to be a significant temptation to use in our campaign. There are some paragon paths defiling unlocks, but there are also preserver paths that play a little better with a group anyway.

I mean, I get from a balancing perspective why you don't want defiling to be too awesome, but as a temptation thing for PCs it was too situational to feel like much of a concern when we play.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Desiden posted:

While I've got no strong feelings about the 2e version of defiling, I did feel like the incentive in 4e to consider defiling was pretty limited. Its a reroll on a daily arcane power, which is nice, but in turn also damages all your allies within 20 squares. Between a lot of dailies already doing some measure of damage or effect even on a miss, and the various other ways to get rerolls a lot of class/race combos have, it just never seemed to be a significant temptation to use in our campaign. There are some paragon paths defiling unlocks, but there are also preserver paths that play a little better with a group anyway.

I mean, I get from a balancing perspective why you don't want defiling to be too awesome, but as a temptation thing for PCs it was too situational to feel like much of a concern when we play.

Absolutely. On top of that, there are other sources of rerolls if you're really worried about "wasting" your daily, and few-to-none of those cause damage to your allies and, narratively, kill the world.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I'm curious, has there ever been any research done into what proportion of groups use a published setting vs the DM's own homebrew setting vs not really in a setting (i.e. adventures start and end at the dungeon entrance)?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
re: Warframe

we know the devs play Pathfinder, so they'll probably just solve everything with spells

Saryn is a full progression Wizard and Wukong is a Fighter

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Goa Tse-tung posted:

re: Warframe

we know the devs play Pathfinder, so they'll probably just solve everything with spells

Warframe being a teetering mess of underexplained and overextended systems makes a lot of sense all of a sudden. :smugdog:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Sion posted:

Warframe being a teetering mess of underexplained and overextended systems makes a lot of sense all of a sudden. :smugdog:

That's just MMOs in general.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Desiden posted:

Yeah, Defiling was poorly-implemented in a lot of ways in 4e. It also directly hurt your allies - like, by a lot. Half a healing surge worth, IIRC - or 1/8th of their max HP - without negatively affecting your enemies. This cut back on the 'destruction of nature is its own penalty' nature, for me.

I ended up letting it substitute for ritual components, too, but even that didn't feel like enough. And recovering a Daily felt like too much. Maybe recovering an Encounter power? Allowing damage re-rolls without damaging your allies in return? I dunno.

It's overall fine, though; it's rarely a good idea for player-facing mechanics, and the rest of the implementation is simply phenomenal.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
If it's meant to represent a hideously wasteful expenditure for minimal (but tangible) personal gain, then it succeeds.

mkultra419
May 4, 2005

Modern Day Alchemist
Pillbug
Nthing that 4E Dark Sun is excellent.

Also, the 5E megadungeon that just dropped Dungeon of the Mad Mage has a level with a portal to the Stardock, a Githyanki outpost in an asteroid in orbit around Toril (including an illustration showing the old style gravity plane). Also, there's a stranded Spelljamming vessel (named as such) with crew on another level. So they are at least throwing in references to Spelljammer in a recent module for whatever that's worth.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

dwarf74 posted:

Yeah, Defiling was poorly-implemented in a lot of ways in 4e. It also directly hurt your allies - like, by a lot. Half a healing surge worth, IIRC - or 1/8th of their max HP - without negatively affecting your enemies. This cut back on the 'destruction of nature is its own penalty' nature, for me.

I ended up letting it substitute for ritual components, too, but even that didn't feel like enough. And recovering a Daily felt like too much. Maybe recovering an Encounter power? Allowing damage re-rolls without damaging your allies in return? I dunno.

It's overall fine, though; it's rarely a good idea for player-facing mechanics, and the rest of the implementation is simply phenomenal.

Yeah, we've enjoyed 4e Dark Sun on the whole a ton, so the defiling mechanic as a PC thing mostly just stands out as awkward compared to all the other good stuff. If I really had to balance it to make it tempting, I'd probably do something like either reroll or recover an encounter power, at the cost of some sort of non-enemy living scenery within range (plant life or neutral NPCs, whatever) or some number of healing surges from allies. For my game, I've generally skipped worrying about the specific battle mechanic and done temptation via rituals. We're already doing fixed enhancements and scarcity of magical items, so access to rituals for magic item creation is one of the more available routes to get additional bennies...but most of the accessible sources for those rituals are from defilers. There's also going to be some upcoming options to try to use creepy ancient defiler magic to solve some of their problems if they want to go that route.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I thought the issue with defiling wasn't so much the player level, although of course you could still gently caress up a village by slinging spells around: it was that the career path for defiler went something like defiler -> sorceror-king -> the Dragon

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

mkultra419 posted:

Nthing that 4E Dark Sun is excellent.

Also, the 5E megadungeon that just dropped Dungeon of the Mad Mage has a level with a portal to the Stardock, a Githyanki outpost in an asteroid in orbit around Toril (including an illustration showing the old style gravity plane). Also, there's a stranded Spelljamming vessel (named as such) with crew on another level. So they are at least throwing in references to Spelljammer in a recent module for whatever that's worth.

Stardock was originally published as an FR-Spelljammer crossover in 2e.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I think there are Paragon Paths and Epic destinies that take you down the road of the Sorcerer Kings, but the Dragon is like a level ridiculous enemy intended to really challenge a whole max level party.

If I remember in 2e they had a book all about the various physical transformations and how to achieve them and hitting Dragon was crazy hard since you needed to essentially destroy an entire nation to get enough sacrifices to start the transformation.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Kwyndig posted:

I think there are Paragon Paths and Epic destinies that take you down the road of the Sorcerer Kings, but the Dragon is like a level ridiculous enemy intended to really challenge a whole max level party.

If I remember in 2e they had a book all about the various physical transformations and how to achieve them and hitting Dragon was crazy hard since you needed to essentially destroy an entire nation to get enough sacrifices to start the transformation.
See that was great because then you look at why all the sorceror-kings have these nations that snipe at each other when they don't really need that and you go: Oh. oh

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Nessus posted:

See that was great because then you look at why all the sorceror-kings have these nations that snipe at each other when they don't really need that and you go: Oh. oh
Yeah, it also explained why the sorcerer-kings slapped down unauthorised defilers in their territory. It was never about any sort of attempt at conservation - it was about throttling potential competitors before they could get the ball rolling.

I think 2E outlining the routes to Dragonhood was useful not because it was ever expected that any PC would actually do that, but to illustrate a) what the Dragon must have done to get that way and b) what any particular sorcerer-king might be trying to do, and (by implication) what the PCs need to disrupt in order to stop that. For the era it came out in, it's actually a nice bit of worldbuilding-by-system-design.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Based on the rules it is wild that so many Sorcerer Kings are as far along as they are in the transformation. The setting barely seems to have big populations, and yikes the number of sacrifices are high.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Based on the rules it is wild that so many Sorcerer Kings are as far along as they are in the transformation. The setting barely seems to have big populations, and yikes the number of sacrifices are high.

They've been around for a long time, so presumably they get by on sacrificing a couple dozen here and there over centuries.

(The number of sacrifices assigned to that progression was a number pulled out of someone's rear end with no consideration for the established setting lore.)

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Oh yeah you look at The Dragon's expected sacrifices and it's like "... but there's not that many people?"

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Didn't some of the sorcerer kings have this explained by the fact that they'd genocided some of the regular D&D humanoid types that didn't exist in the setting? Like I think one of them had killed off the Athas gnome population or something, and another one had done for ogres.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Would someone kindly fill me in on the requirements, or drop a link so I can read it? Everyone's making it out to be in the tens of millions. I'm not familiar with the setting, but human populations can't be so low that losing (I'm guessing 50K people) would doom the race? Unless we're talking like 200K people spread across a landmass the size of The Americas?

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Yeah a lot of them have been stuck at their current stage for a long rear end time, having reached it via personally enacting the genocidal apocalypse that made Athas such a shithole.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Weren't it like just 1k sacrifices a year to keep the former boss of the sorcerer-kings shackled? I mean the Aztecs killed a shitload more irl and it was on just a smaller expanse.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Chakan posted:

Would someone kindly fill me in on the requirements, or drop a link so I can read it? Everyone's making it out to be in the tens of millions. I'm not familiar with the setting, but human populations can't be so low that losing (I'm guessing 50K people) would doom the race? Unless we're talking like 200K people spread across a landmass the size of The Americas?
Yeah that's basically the situation. The biggest city-states have populations of roughly, like, 20,000 people.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

There's a bunch of folk who live in the wilderness, of course, so I guess the city-states do a lot of raiding and slave-capturing in order to make up the sacrifice numbers when necessary.

Arguably the fact that the system is not sustainable under its current parameters is a feature of the setting, not a bug - we come to Athas at the point where something's gotta give, and the PCs get swept up in all that.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Lemon-Lime posted:

They've been around for a long time, so presumably they get by on sacrificing a couple dozen here and there over centuries.

(The number of sacrifices assigned to that progression was a number pulled out of someone's rear end with no consideration for the established setting lore.)

I don't have the 2e book handy to look at numbers, but I do recall part of what made the sorceror-king of Tyr different was that he was essentially trying to bypass this, and go through all the stages in rapid succession via sacrificing his whole city. So yeah, the implication seemed to be that the rest just worked through their thing at a very slow rate.

(There was also a bunch of other goofy stuff with obsidian orbs you had to do, and a whole thing where for a bunch of the stages you essentially went mad and were just a ravening monster, so there were other logistics areas to worry about to become a dragon as well)

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Warthur posted:

There's a bunch of folk who live in the wilderness, of course, so I guess the city-states do a lot of raiding and slave-capturing in order to make up the sacrifice numbers when necessary.

Arguably the fact that the system is not sustainable under its current parameters is a feature of the setting, not a bug - we come to Athas at the point where something's gotta give, and the PCs get swept up in all that.

The main issue is that the folks who remain alive on Athas are, universally, tough enough that taking them alive requires no small amount of effort, so it's not really a sustainable practice for mass live sacrifices.

Plus, like, I'm pretty sure that the elf raiders and the halfling cannibals and the thri-kreen are all more than willing to die rather than become defiler sacrifices.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Mors Rattus posted:

The main issue is that the folks who remain alive on Athas are, universally, tough enough that taking them alive requires no small amount of effort, so it's not really a sustainable practice for mass live sacrifices.

Plus, like, I'm pretty sure that the elf raiders and the halfling cannibals and the thri-kreen are all more than willing to die rather than become defiler sacrifices.
Which is exactly what a) slows the current sorcerer-kings' progress right down and b) makes the King of Tyr look for cheat codes, which in turn makes him vulnerable to be toppled. (IIRC in the original boxed set the situation is that the King of Tyr is tinkering with these weird experiments and he's letting the city go to seed, and it's very obvious that he's the least stable of the sorcerer-kings; in the 4E version they set it just after the revolution which topples him, which is fine because it happened so early in the original setting timeline that most of the supplements were set after Tyr fell).

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
https://sla-cs1.backerkit.com/hosted_preorders/project_updates

quote:

New Year Announcement regarding canon for SLA Industries
The recent discussion between the team, enabled us to condense our views on the future of SLA Industries, and in the process it became clear that with the publication of the new book, certain older tomes would be superseded either in part or full by its publication. To avoid confusion for old and new players, we have made the following announcement:

As Nightfall Games finalise the new publication – SLA Industries: Cannibal Sector 1, we have taken a good look at the contents of the various source materials published to date. As many of you know, a number of these books were produced with little or no input from the creators of SLA Industries and as such do not represent the image, ideals, nor stories of The World of Progress. Additionally, a number of the books have been directly superseded (in whole or part) by the writing in the new book. With this in mind, only the following source books and supplements should be now be considered canon (the official vision of The World of Progress):
  • SLA Industries Main Rulebook (including all reprints) (ISBN 1 899749 23 3)
  • Karma (ISBN 1 880992 56 6)
  • Hunter Sheets Issue 1 (ISBN 978 0 9555423 1 2)
  • Hunter Sheets Issue 2 (ISBN 978 0 9556497 1 2)
  • “Klick’s End” Data Packet
  • “Momic 0.1” Data Packet
  • "The Dream" Data Packet
  • "Threat Analysis: Hominid" Data Packet
  • "Hunters Sheets: Red Alert" Data Packet
  • SLA Industries GM Screen
The publications listed below are no longer considered to be an official part of the SLA Industries canon.
  • Mort Sourcebook (ISBN 0 9522176 6 X)
  • The Key of Delhyread (ISBN 978-1-899749-24-9)
  • The Contract Directory (ISBN 978-1-899749-29-4)
  • Cannibal Sector 1 (ISBN 978 0 9555423 0 5)
  • “Ursa Carrien” Data Packet
As such we will be removing these books from sale on DriveThruRPG on the 31st January 2019.

We will leave these items on DriveThru until the end of the month so that players have a significant window to obtain them if they wish. We are sure that many people will like to add them to their collection.

I thought this was rather interesting.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Are they unhappening the stuff that had to do with their Saint Elsewhere secret backstory, or the stuff that didn't?

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Mors Rattus posted:

Are they unhappening the stuff that had to do with their Saint Elsewhere secret backstory, or the stuff that didn't?

You mean The Truth? That’s kind of hinted at everywhere, including the core.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Wait, SLA Industries is making a new book?

some FUCKING LIAR
Sep 19, 2002

Fallen Rib
Are they deprecating their brand new book or is there a difference between "SLA Industries: Cannibal Sector 1" and just "Cannibal Sector 1"?

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

some loving LIAR posted:

Are they deprecating their brand new book or is there a difference between "SLA Industries: Cannibal Sector 1" and just "Cannibal Sector 1"?
I'm going to go out on a limb and assume the latter is what's happening

WereGoat
Apr 28, 2017

Yeah, Cannibal Sector 1 is the setting for their new minis game (SLA:CS1). It's gonna have a good chunk devoted to setting stuff, which updates the old setting stuff from their 2007 "Cannibal Sector 1" rpg book.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

It's really, really weird to me that they keep pushing SLA Industries. I don't think it ever really picked up very much steam but the Nightfall guys just keep trying to make SLA a thing and putting out new products at a slow drip.

Why SLA and not, say, Tales of Gargentihr or A|State or any number of other UK indie games which mashes up a really weird setting with a really pedestrian game system?

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Warthur posted:

It's really, really weird to me that they keep pushing SLA Industries. I don't think it ever really picked up very much steam but the Nightfall guys just keep trying to make SLA a thing and putting out new products at a slow drip.

Why SLA and not, say, Tales of Gargentihr or A|State or any number of other UK indie games which mashes up a really weird setting with a really pedestrian game system?

Well, in A|State’s case it’s because Contested Ground are out of the RPG business and don’t want to license the ip to anyone else. Which is fair enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Jesus, SLA is getting a minis game? I thought it was just a joke setting for edgelords, like Lobo for TTRPGs