Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Bird Box was really good but at the same time I can see why people wouldn't like it. It definitely feels like a sort of "greatest hits of recent horror"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

bullet3 posted:

Extremely digital, fake looking, washed out color palette. For a movie about venturing into a mysterious abandoned wilderness, there's very little atmosphere.

Again, not necessarily fair to compare it to Stalker, one of the all time greats, but given the similar subject matter, you can't help it

vs

It was my biggest gripe with the movie. Anyway, we should let it go, at least an original scifi story got made, props to Garland for that.

I don't know what to say other than I couldn't disagree more. Everything is supposed to look a little bit off in the shimmer and I think they knocked it out of the park in making it look like reality, but just slightly otherworldly. Absolutely stunning looking movie.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
Bird Box was neat for 30 minutes or so. There was really cool and creepy visuals but then it goes full zombie/apocalypse/survival/betrayal fuckery. I would've been more interested in a more analytical or world building approach on this eg. the CCTV scene but the payoff from that was "lol gently caress you" and that was that.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Just saw The Night Eats the World on Prime, and enjoyed it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpFtHtdPgQY

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I keep meaning to watch that but it's so hard to muster up the motivation to watch a zombie movie anymore. I'll watch pretty much any horror though so I'm sure I'll get around to it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Watched Bird Box this afternoon and really liked it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Bird Box’s screenplay adaptation was by Eric Heiserrer, the guy who adapted Arrival. Good job.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

veni veni veni posted:

I don't know what to say other than I couldn't disagree more. Everything is supposed to look a little bit off in the shimmer and I think they knocked it out of the park in making it look like reality, but just slightly otherworldly. Absolutely stunning looking movie.

That's what I got from it. Everything is supposed to be a little wonky and hosed up slightly.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

My kid has moved through several children's movies and is now on The Star, an animated movie about the nativity. It's... I'm not recommending it, but the cast is full of bizarrely famous people.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

veni veni veni posted:

One thing I will say about it is that for me the look didn't really accomplish what it was going for until I upgraded to 4k and bought the UHD. That otherworldly quality you're talking about really didn't translate that well in 1080p and for me just came across as flat and uninteresting. The details of the Shimmer effects are pretty important and some of that was lost without the UHD in my opinion.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Inspector Hound posted:

My kid has moved through several children's movies and is now on The Star, an animated movie about the nativity. It's... I'm not recommending it, but the cast is full of bizarrely famous people.

Oprah and Joel Olsteen alongside Keegan Michael Key and Christopher Plummer :wtc:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

One thing I will say about it is that for me the look didn't really accomplish what it was going for until I upgraded to 4k and bought the UHD. That otherworldly quality you're talking about really didn't translate that well in 1080p and for me just came across as flat and uninteresting. The details of the Shimmer effects are pretty important and some of that was lost without the UHD in my opinion.

Full disclosure I saw it in a theater, and despite owning it on Blu Ray I haven't watched it on the small screen yet. So that might affect my opinion. I'm just shocked that some people think it looks bad because visually, I thought it was incredible and one of the most memorable movies I've ever seen. I think I'm gonna watch it tomorrow and see if watching it on a (1080p) TV drags it down.

In general I just liked Annihilation so much and never expected it to turn out to be such a divisive film. I was a little shocked when I found out a bunch of people thought it sucked. There's something about Alex Garland that just gels so well with my tastes. I love almost everything he's done. But he cleary rubs some people the wrong way for whatever reason.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I love his other movies I just wasn’t happy with that one

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.

Steve Yun posted:

:same:

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

I forgot Garland wrote The Beach - wish the movie had adapted his book's ending

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Bandersnatch was without question, the best movie I've seen this year. It was a neat concept, but kinda meandering. I wouldn't watch it again but I enjoyed it.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Steve Yun posted:

I liked Annihilation, but out of the Alex Garland related movies I have seen, it might be at the bottom of the list.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I still haven’t seen Dredd, but the only garland I really vibe with is Never Let Me Go

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Dredd is extremely good.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Annihilation and Ex Machina weren't that hot for me but Dredd is easily one of the best action movies ever made. Jenny watched it too.

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

Dredd is amazing and you should watch it right now

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Dredd is pretty much the perfect action movie. Also one of the only movies I've seen that used 3D extremely well and it really adds to the experience. It comes with 3d on blu ray by default too.

So, I've finally gotten around to watching Barry on HBO and it's really good.

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

I watched Bird Box and it was alright I guess but I will have forgotten it by next week. All these Netflix originals have been pretty mediocre.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Roma is absolutely getting nominated for awards, though.

bullet3
Nov 8, 2011
Dredd is Garland's best, its a perfect action movie, and extremely re-watchable. You could teach classes just off the strength and efficiency of that screenplay.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Dredd is up there next to Robocop as being both awesome action and deeply meaningful statement

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

bullet3 posted:

Dredd is Garland's best, its a perfect action movie, and extremely re-watchable. You could teach classes just off the strength and efficiency of that screenplay.

I really struggle with a lot of modern action movies because there is usually so much going on that I don't care about any of it. The narrative in Dredd is just so tight and lean. Everything feels like it matters. It's got this perfect level of tension and buildup to everything and the premise is loving great.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
miffed that dredd wont get a sequel just because it didn't do so well in theaters

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

Dredd is up there next to Robocop as being both awesome action and deeply meaningful statement

.. which Robocop

E gently caress it, i think the new Robocop was better, just that scene where they slowly reveal which parts of him are robotic while he just mourns in disbelief still makes me uncomfortable to think about

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
We got a Dredd TV series coming up soon though and Urban is in talks to be the lead again.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
All's been quiet on that front for quite some time though, right?

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

feedmyleg posted:

All's been quiet on that front for quite some time though, right?

Last development:

In November 2018, Rebellion will set up a studio for Film and TV series based on 2000 AD characters, including Judge Dredd: Mega City One.[118]

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Inspector Hound posted:

.. which Robocop

E gently caress it, i think the new Robocop was better, just that scene where they slowly reveal which parts of him are robotic while he just mourns in disbelief still makes me uncomfortable to think about

That's a great scene. I also really like the scene where he Skypes his family and spends an inordinate amount of time prior to the call trying to crop out all metal from the image because he doesn't want them to see what he's become.

Better than the original though...? You might be alone on that one.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Inspector Hound posted:

.. which Robocop

Both. Both Robocops are excellent movies for different reasons. Dredd is up there with both in standing up to analysis and interpretation

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
The setpiece for Dredd is one of the best for an action movie ever.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Nothing to Hide is a french film about the most uncomfortable dinner party of all time. A group of couples agree to read out loud or be on speakerphone for any and all messages during the party.

It's in my favorite genre "bottle films of people being incredibly uncomfortable with each other"

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

terror in beverly hills is on amazon prime and is a fantasticly bad action movie. a great one to watch with some drinkin buddies. keep in mind the first 20 minutes are super boring but it really gets going after that. in case you arent sold, it “stars” frank stallone.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I don't think Netflix algorithms work very well.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I don't think Netflix algorithms work very well.

It's just watched by a lot of dads whose kids use their Netflix account without changing the profile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Happy! is fuckin great