Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scaly Haylie

i'm back from my vacation where i did not have access to weed, and i just vaped 7 or 8 times, what's up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glowing-fish

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Hogge Wild posted:

hi! post your pets

I don't have any pets. I live in a one room apartment, and I am not really sure how much longer I will be in the country. I don't think it would be fair to get a pet that I would have to give away.

But say hello to a cat that lives in my compound. I call her "No ingresar con perros" cat, because she loves posing in this exact place.

Jaded Burnout

I have posted a contest! Woo!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3878560#post491185834

Scaly Haylie

oh no i got high somehow

Hogge Wild

by FactsAreUseless

glowing-fish posted:

I don't have any pets. I live in a one room apartment, and I am not really sure how much longer I will be in the country. I don't think it would be fair to get a pet that I would have to give away.

But say hello to a cat that lives in my compound. I call her "No ingresar con perros" cat, because she loves posing in this exact place.

thats a great kitty!

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

FluffieDuckie

glowing-fish posted:

Smart cat

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

City of Glompton

thank you for posting the v good cat

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

glowing-fish posted:

this cat is a+

Doctor Dogballs

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

jolly new year!

----------------
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/HopefulSophisticatedIndianrhinoceros-mobile.webm
"The Bad Boy of Comics"

BoldFrankensteinMir

Burning questions I intend to answer this year:

1- Is Thomas the Tank Engine a transhuman and if so, what crime did he commit?

2- What can Sauron do with his ring that he can't do without it?

3- Meaningful life stuff / whatever

Hogge Wild

by FactsAreUseless

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

2. get married or do a goatseing

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Bluedeanie

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Hogge Wild posted:

2. get married or do a goatseing

roomforthetuna

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

More like a trainshuman.

alnilam

Sauron could do a hell of a goatse, what with his ability to project his burning red whatever into people's vision. but he refrains because he knows it's not right without the ring. however he does do it to frodo to show him how wrong it looks, so that frodo might be moved to return the ring to its rightful owner

ty manifisto

xcheopis

Conquer Middle Earth.

Everywhere, everyone is red and green
I gotta lust for glory and a tape machine
I'm living out Frank Coppola's dreams
Outta my mind, I'm feelin' mean

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I can answer these

1. Yes. Showed his rear end to NordVPN.

2. Already answered, it's goatse and also probably weird dick stuff.

3. Nothing matters, embrace the void, find comfort within in and then smoke weed while you enjoy the passage of time.

BoldFrankensteinMir

xcheopis posted:

Conquer Middle Earth.

But how? The only things we ever see it do is make people invisible and get the attention of nazgul, and it seems like Sauron can do that second one anyway, so... is he planning on sneaking into Rivendel's girls' locker room or something?

I like to know the villain's plan or at least their general MO at some point and Sauron never gives us either. He's a badly written character and his dumb movie effect spawned 20 years of terrible cloud monsters without personalities for villains.

I hadn't thought about it as goatse though, that's a mindfuck. But I'm still not convinced.

Also I accept the Thomas answer completely, one down two to go.

xcheopis

Well, Sauron isn't a person; he's a spirit. Sort of. And he bound most of his power to the ring.
He's still plenty strong without it, but with he regains everything.

glowing-fish

Keep grinding,

The ICE Middle Earth Roleplaying book tried to put it all in statistical form, and basically it just described it as tripling the range and effect of all of his spells, making him hit all 20s on all his roles, basically making him into like a Level 99 character in a JRPG where he can do anything.

I think Tolkien had something much more philosophical in mind. I am new to BYOB, so I don't know if you want effort posts about the metaphysical nature of Middle Earth.

Abugadu

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
Frodo, Sam and Gollum glance up timidly at the Brown Eye of Sauron, its terrible gaze aiming this way and that across Mordor.

"What's is it doing to its anus, precious?"

alnilam

I always understood the ring as like, you know how there are spells/abilities in D&D like "Dominate will - target will obey caster for N rounds" but they're hard to pull off, well i always imagined based on how the books talk about giving him power and dominion over others, that it like gave him a constant aura of dominate will, with like virtually no saving throw possible

in the movie you know when he comes out in the long ago flashback and everyone stops fighting and goes quiet and just kind of cowers from him before he even starts killing them all, i think that's them being overpowered by it. idk. then isildur i guess is himself a very high level character and manages to resist it just enough to slice he hand.

i mainly think it's the goatse thing though

alnilam fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jan 2, 2019

alnilam

Abugadu posted:

Frodo, Sam and Gollum glance up timidly at the Brown Eye of Sauron, its terrible gaze aiming this way and that across Mordor.

"What's is it doing to its anus, precious?"

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

glowing-fish posted:

The ICE Middle Earth Roleplaying book tried to put it all in statistical form, and basically it just described it as tripling the range and effect of all of his spells, making him hit all 20s on all his roles, basically making him into like a Level 99 character in a JRPG where he can do anything.

I think Tolkien had something much more philosophical in mind. I am new to BYOB, so I don't know if you want effort posts about the metaphysical nature of Middle Earth.

Yes, please.

(make the thread)

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

Jaded Burnout

Splatmaster posted:

Yes, please.

(make the thread)

now that’s what I’m Tolkien about!!!!

Manifisto

Jaded Burnout posted:

now that’s what I’m Tolkien about!!!!

jaded burnout did you ever make it to samphire hoe

ty nesamdoom!

Jaded Burnout

Manifisto posted:

jaded burnout did you ever make it to samphire hoe

summer, my dude, I will reboot that thread with a vengeance

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

hamjobs posted:

3. Nothing matters, embrace the void, find comfort within in and then smoke weed while you enjoy the passage of time.

these are the zen affirmations I need today, and probably for the next couple months of uncertainty and flux. thanks yiu!

BoldFrankensteinMir

xcheopis posted:

Well, Sauron isn't a person; he's a spirit. Sort of. And he bound most of his power to the ring.
He's still plenty strong without it, but with he regains everything.

Then he's basically a Lich and it's his phylactery... so he's an idiot to make it a ring. Only the stupidest Lich wears his own phylactery, like "ooh I'll take my heart and put it on my finger and then wade into sword fights". Idiot.

That would mean Davey Jones from Pirates of the Carribean is a significantly smarter lich than Sauron, which is pathetic.

Edit- yes please make a thread, somebody who actually understands the world's dumbest Lich well enough to defend him.

BoldFrankensteinMir fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jan 2, 2019

glowing-fish

Keep grinding,

Splatmaster posted:

Yes, please.

(make the thread)

Its not quite thread worthy, but the basic way I view it is: when Middle Earth was created, it was really malleable, the Maiar could change it just by acts of will. In the Silmarillion there are stories of entire mountain ranges being created, etc. Over time I think that Middle Earth "solidified": its like wax cooling down, things took on their permanent nature, and that is why there is so little "actual" magic in The Lord of the Rings. Like, Gandalf's entire magical output consists of...throwing a firecracker at a wolf and lighting some wet wood. In fact, when he lights the wet wood he says it was such a strong magical act that everyone for days around could have sensed it. So its an outrageous magical act to...flick a lighter, basically.

Sauron was a Maia of Aule, and so he was one of the "Builder" Maia who understood "technology". He knew the material of the world. I believe that what the ring did was allow him to entangle his own nature of Maia into the substance of the world. Basically, he could manipulate it and change it as if it was still new. He would basically be able to merge his will into the material world seamlessly, nothing that none of the Maiar or even Valar could do anymore.

And that is also the reason that the ring wasn't as powerful at the end of the Second Age. Actually, the ring was still as powerful, but the people around him were much more powerful, because they still had the magical ability to manipulate the world around them, as well. The elves could still manipulate the world around them by force of will. The elves at the end of the third age couldn't.

Anywayyyyy so that is my theory I should get up and get going.

Jaded Burnout

Then he's basically a Lich and it's his phylactery... so he's an idiot to make it a ring. Only the stupidest Lich wears his own phylactery, like "ooh I'll take my heart and put it on my finger and then wade into sword fights". Idiot.

Maybe it was a cockring and tolkein hushed it up for propriety

BoldFrankensteinMir

glowing-fish posted:

Its not quite thread worthy, but the basic way I view it is: when Middle Earth was created, it was really malleable, the Maiar could change it just by acts of will. In the Silmarillion there are stories of entire mountain ranges being created, etc. Over time I think that Middle Earth "solidified": its like wax cooling down, things took on their permanent nature, and that is why there is so little "actual" magic in The Lord of the Rings. Like, Gandalf's entire magical output consists of...throwing a firecracker at a wolf and lighting some wet wood. In fact, when he lights the wet wood he says it was such a strong magical act that everyone for days around could have sensed it. So its an outrageous magical act to...flick a lighter, basically.

Sauron was a Maia of Aule, and so he was one of the "Builder" Maia who understood "technology". He knew the material of the world. I believe that what the ring did was allow him to entangle his own nature of Maia into the substance of the world. Basically, he could manipulate it and change it as if it was still new. He would basically be able to merge his will into the material world seamlessly, nothing that none of the Maiar or even Valar could do anymore.

And that is also the reason that the ring wasn't as powerful at the end of the Second Age. Actually, the ring was still as powerful, but the people around him were much more powerful, because they still had the magical ability to manipulate the world around them, as well. The elves could still manipulate the world around them by force of will. The elves at the end of the third age couldn't.

Interesting. So it makes munchkins invisible because...

glowing-fish

Keep grinding,

Jaded Burnout posted:

Maybe it was a cockring and tolkein hushed it up for propriety

Did someone ask for another picture from Chile?

So this was in a vending machine in the metro station. (Baquedano, one of the largest stations, where the 1 and 5 lines cross). Most stations have normal vending machines, like for candy and soda, but the larger stations have these vending machines that are like a little mini-Walgreens, where you can get mayonnaise, and sunscreen, and of course, cock rings. Which is right next to the formula.

When I saw this, I read it as "Anal Vibrator", but it is really "Ring Vibrator", I mistranslated Añillo.

I also bought a computer out of a subway vending machine, but it wasn't very good and I lost it somewhere in my apartment, and haven't seen it for a year.

BoldFrankensteinMir

glowing-fish posted:

Did someone ask for another picture from Chile?

So this was in a vending machine in the metro station. (Baquedano, one of the largest stations, where the 1 and 5 lines cross). Most stations have normal vending machines, like for candy and soda, but the larger stations have these vending machines that are like a little mini-Walgreens, where you can get mayonnaise, and sunscreen, and of course, cock rings. Which is right next to the formula.

When I saw this, I read it as "Anal Vibrator", but it is really "Ring Vibrator", I mistranslated Añillo.

I also bought a computer out of a subway vending machine, but it wasn't very good and I lost it somewhere in my apartment, and haven't seen it for a year.

That's all awesome. I would love to visit Chile some day, the only cultural contact I've had before is caring for little old ladies from there who wanted their corn cut off the cob and mixed with mayo and hot sauce in front of them, NOT just served pre-prepared. They called the mayo "salsa blanco" but I have no way of knowing if that's cultural or just little old ladies being quirky.

BoldFrankensteinMir

Also, "Sauron bought his cock ring from a Chilean vending machine" is one of those thoughts you know you've never had before, like you can feel the new neural path being forged...

vanisher

glowing-fish posted:

This is a good post.

Maybe it makes folks invisible because it entangles them to the world, but because they are not Maiar or whatever they get pulled into it entirely.

Some long post goes here about Tom Bombadill being a neat guy.

vanisher

I'll bet there is already some well understood explanation for the invisibility

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

vanisher posted:

This is a good post.

Maybe it makes folks invisible because it entangles them to the world, but because they are not Maiar or whatever they get pulled into it entirely.

Some long post goes here about Tom Bombadill being a neat guy.

it was a really good post

to add to it: the ring makes you invisible by pulling you into the wraith world and if used too much will pull the user permanently there. also not everyone will be turned invisible by it but it does to some people as a way to lure them in. the ring itself was always connected with sauron, as seen by his awareness of it when it's in use, and only he could actually use it to its full potential of which the invisibility was a very minor power and the effects the ring has on the wearer depends on who puts it on and their relative proximity to mordor.

alnilam

thanks for the neat lotr poststs

ty manifisto

vanisher

Ive got the LOTR books on CD and will listen to them from time to time, its good times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

vanisher posted:

Ive got the LOTR books on CD and will listen to them from time to time, its good times

everything about the books is nostalgia for my childhood and my brother and his friends who used to recite them almost by rote, still have a leather-bound illustrated copy of lotr and my brother has multipole copies of all of them

it made it really hard for me to except anything else in the fantasy genre as anything but a poor imitation of tolkien