Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Oldstench posted:

"Anime isn’t all hentai and it’s ok to watch it sometimes, so lighten up"?

“Look officer it’s ephebophila and furthermore - “

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Twistershift posted:

Something, something Doms and submissions.

I was trying to figure out how to make this joke work and gently caress it, you got farther than I did

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Memes of fat cats are racist? :stare:

It's more about the caption than the images. Do a GIS for 'oh lawd', many of them seem fine but a significant percentage of them are :eyepop:

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Jamesman posted:

Is a Fleshlight a sandwich?

Until it becomes a cream pie

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
Jungle love

I think I want to know ya!

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It's more about the caption than the images. Do a GIS for 'oh lawd', many of them seem fine but a significant percentage of them are :eyepop:

so what

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Memes of fat cats are racist?

Speaking of years kicking off:

https://i.imgur.com/OinKRnl.mp4

Usually the fat cats are the ones being racist.

As for Chrissy Teigan:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BsGjFt5lsak/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=11sh5umv6dx1p

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
"oh lawd he OH poo poo"

https://i.imgur.com/56WQisC.mp4

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

To a lot of people talking like a black person, or at least the way they imagine a black people talk, is inherently funny because, to them, black people are inherently buffoonish. "Oh lawd" is a real go-to for these sorts. Some people see those captions as trafficking in that sort of humor. Hopefully you can see why that would rub people the wrong way.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Holy poo poo that's a big dog

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

AKA Pseudonym posted:

To a lot of people talking like a black person, or at least the way they imagine a black people talk, is inherently funny because, to them, black people are inherently buffoonish. "Oh lawd" is a real go-to for these sorts. Some people see those captions as trafficking in that sort of humor. Hopefully you can see why that would rub people the wrong way.

Thank you for your input into this matter. I will make sure it is forward to Director of Internets.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

"oh lawd he comi-"

"BITCH I'M A COW"

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Snowy posted:

Tamales are more like dumplings

So a bag of Doritos is a dumpling, got it

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Dewgy posted:

"oh lawd he comi-"

"BITCH I'M A COW"
One word...

Bull.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Okay, but what if you associate "oh lawd" with americans, not black people? Is making fun of americans okay? I'm Canadian and I've never seen anyone say "oh lawd" IRL regardless of skin tone. Seems like an american thing to me. If I was to picture the person I think would typically say "oh lawd" it would be a large white southern church lady with big hair. Tammy Faye Baker, I guess.

Y'all remember Tammy Faye?

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Facebook Aunt posted:

Okay, but what if you associate "oh lawd" with americans, not black people? Is making fun of americans okay? I'm Canadian and I've never seen anyone say "oh lawd" IRL regardless of skin tone. Seems like an american thing to me. If I was to picture the person I think would typically say "oh lawd" it would be a large white southern church lady with big hair. Tammy Faye Baker, I guess.

Yeah this is just weird to me, because I grew up as poor white trash in Oklahoma and I heard "oh lawd" all the time, from basically anyone over fifty. It definitely had demographic associations, but they'd be more age and economic status. So when people raise this as a racial thing I just wonder whether there's a big chunk of coastal liberal America that thinks that only black people have southern accents and dialects. It's like if you said "y'all" in conversation and someone accused you of coopting black culture, it's just loving weird.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Malaysian here; odds are I'm terminally online, but I've always heard 'oh lawd' and the like associated with black people. When I think of whites from the American South, I think of genn'lmen slave owners, trailer parks with Confederate flags everywhere, survivalist gun nuts and people using "JEEEESUS" and various racial epithets as punctuation.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CommissarMega posted:

Malaysian here; odds are I'm terminally online, but I've always heard 'oh lawd' and the like associated with black people. When I think of whites from the American South, I think of genn'lmen slave owners, trailer parks with Confederate flags everywhere, survivalist gun nuts and people using "JEEEESUS" and various racial epithets as punctuation.

you are wrong.

"lawd" is really common among older people of all races in the south

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
sorry but you're definitely being super racist we just don't have the data to prove it yet

Treffies
Apr 27, 2010
I feel like racists that don't live in the US south also have all these misconceptions about how the people here talk.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
itt POC: that phrase is a bit racist in this context

itt white people: here's several paragraphs about why you're wrong!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The Bloop posted:

itt POC: that phrase is a bit racist in this context

itt white people: here's several paragraphs about why you're wrong!

In some parts of america that may be associated with black people. In other parts of america that may be associated with southern people. The latter's experiences are just as valid as the former. Being a POC doesn't make your experiences inherently more or less valid than those of pink people.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

BEVO! YES!

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Facebook Aunt posted:

In some parts of america that may be associated with black people. In other parts of america that may be associated with southern people. The latter's experiences are just as valid as the former. Being a POC doesn't make your experiences inherently more or less valid than those of pink people.

I don't see colour, whether it's white black yellow or purple

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Tashilicious posted:

I don't see colour, whether it's white black yellow or purple

This is the internet; no one would have known you're a dog if you hadn't admitted to it.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

This is the internet; no one would have known you're a dog if you hadn't admitted to it.

lol if you aren't a opossum irl

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I am a loving cat get it right

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Facebook Aunt posted:

The better response to learning that even a POC who lives in a whole different part of the country experiences a dumb phrase as racist is probably "oh I didn't know that was legit seen as racist sometimes, my bad I'll stop using it"

Unless you are somehow super personally attached to that particular meme it seems like a really dumb hill to die on

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah I did. I dunno maybe I’m just missing them. :shrug:

Tap the user name

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Facebook Aunt posted:

Oh man, shoulda looked at that rap sheet.
Good times to have suspicions be proven.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

The Bloop posted:

The better response to learning that even a POC who lives in a whole different part of the country experiences a dumb phrase as racist is probably "oh I didn't know that was legit seen as racist sometimes, my bad I'll stop using it"

Unless you are somehow super personally attached to that particular meme it seems like a really dumb hill to die on

It’s not so much “this is AAVE and you can’t have it, piss off honkies” and more “this type of thing is used to be lovely to black people online, because it’s 2019 and of course it loving is.”

Should you be more interested, here’s articles that kind of get into what’s going on. While I personally hesitate to call it specifically digital blackface, because in this instance it’s slightly more muddied with the meme, it’s the closest word I can get:
https://www.teenvogue.com/story/digital-blackface-reaction-gifs
https://www.ussc.edu.au/analysis/what-is-digital-blackface
https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2018/jul/08/why-are-memes-of-black-people-reacting-so-popular-online

Alternatively, you can laugh and resist any sort of minor personal change or reflection, because that’s what goons do, and do well.

Sucks that the meme is saddled with this baggage because that is one chonky baby and is loving adorable.

for relevant content:

the meme police
they live inside my head
the meme police
they come to me in my bed

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

WAH WAH WAH

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Let's talk about this for a really long time.

https://i.imgur.com/5GGoKwT.gifv

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Cable Guy posted:

One word...

Bull.

Yes, that is indeed an English Bulldog. Good eye.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Thanks, genuinely

What is the word for this emotion because I think it might be the one I experience when I remember that Teen Vogue was one of the best journalistic institutions of the last few years

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Is this digital yellow face?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Paladinus posted:

Is this digital yellow face?

No but your avatar is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe

teen witch posted:

Sucks that the meme is saddled with this baggage because that is one chonky baby and is loving adorable.

Chonk is an incredibly ableist meme as well, unless you think it's hilarious that some people can't spell things properly because they're neuro-divergent. Turns out maybe sometimes we can just chuckle at a fat cat and move on without making sure someone knows we're upset.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)