Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

do they have a man in england i thought they had a queen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Some Guy TT posted:

do they have a man in england i thought they had a queen

they did but then freddie mercury died

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

"Orville Norwood, located in the United Kingdom, is the N.G.E.N.’s hacker who gave up his life of taking down “the man” in favor of working for Northrop Grumman and being a “team player.”"

maybe one of the funniest lines even written

Disney's spin machine works really well on the people it's supposed to work on. They're like the popes of woke.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

phasmid posted:

Disney's spin machine works really well on the people it's supposed to work on. They're like the popes of woke.
the feedback loop of critics pulling some grandiose political message about pop culture they like out of thin air, a giant media conglomerate actively appealing to that instinct, audiences eating that poo poo up, and repeating has given woke entertainment a longer shelf life than it should

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

get that OUT of my face posted:

the feedback loop of critics pulling some grandiose political message about pop culture they like out of thin air, a giant media conglomerate actively appealing to that instinct, audiences eating that poo poo up, and repeating has given woke entertainment a longer shelf life than it should

Lol at treating woke like a genre. it's here forever btw

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

an actual dog posted:

it's here forever btw
i know, dammit. the only way to break the cycle is if audiences get bored and start to demand entertainment that isn't blatantly pandering, but as it stands,, it's working and it's so much easier to make something that's agreeable than to make something that's good

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 03:48 on Jan 3, 2019

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Woke media is at the center of the venn diagram for "sells well with the upper middle class" and "gives our company a caring image that pleases investors". It's here to stay and will call you a bigot if you don't like it.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

It owns watching old woke media like robin hood prince of thieves.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

all the people here complaining about a marvel movie with black people, but nothing will elevate film like my man kevin costner telling morgan freeman about how he overcame racism to become friends

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
driving miss marion

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

remember the nineties when hollywood was trying to turn shaquille oneal and pamela anderson into movie stars i just find it funny how woke media mandates that we pretend like minority and women led blockbusters are some crazy modern idea and not that we actually had them for maybe a decade and a half before hollywood decided that chinese people only wanted to watch movies headlined by boring white guys

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
antitrust is a movie that always felt to me that it was originally started with a decent message and then it lost that because the screenwriter spent a little too much time on linux forums

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Is D.W. Griffith's Intolerance (1916) the first example of woke cinema?

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

remember crash lmao

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

General Dog posted:

Is D.W. Griffith's Intolerance (1916) the first example of woke cinema?

Absolutely

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

an actual dog posted:

remember crash lmao

Most woke movie ever.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jack2142 posted:

Most woke movie ever.

which one?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
are we still discussing black panther and comic books

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
it means no worries

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
is disney still fighting to trademark it

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Some Guy TT posted:

remember the nineties when hollywood was trying to turn shaquille oneal and pamela anderson into movie stars i just find it funny how woke media mandates that we pretend like minority and women led blockbusters are some crazy modern idea and not that we actually had them for maybe a decade and a half before hollywood decided that chinese people only wanted to watch movies headlined by boring white guys

tbf asian racism makes america look woke

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

an actual dog posted:

remember crash lmao

I had to see crash so many times across high school/college. It's so bad.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Business Gorillas posted:

tbf asian racism makes america look woke

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xdxIBNj2sw

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/KateKnibbs/status/1080993447555813376

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

are we still discussing black panther and comic books

Deadpool being an dipshit casual racist because he thinks he's just making a joke is one hundred percent on brand

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

so how old is that panel anyway is that from pre woke marvel when everyone was racist or post woke marvel when everyone hates racism but the writers are still the same moronic white people as before so its just racist in a more convoluted hamhanded way

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Some Guy TT posted:

so how old is that panel anyway is that from pre woke marvel when everyone was racist or post woke marvel when everyone hates racism but the writers are still the same moronic white people as before so its just racist in a more convoluted hamhanded way

None of the above

It's almost certainly from the most recent runs on black panther by Ta-Nehisi Coates and "Deadpool is a dipshit and accidentally racist" is The Joke

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I have not read either of his stretches on the book because they don't interest me in the slightest and they seemed to only get buzz from people who don't actually read comics which translates to "America's black guy who white people can cite to feel informed did a thing, white people are trying to show theyre With It"

They might be amazing, I have no idea

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Deadpool being an dipshit casual racist because he thinks he's just making a joke is one hundred percent on brand

deadpool is a cum boy 100%

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

IDGI, what's racist about "Hakuna Matata"?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

not a cult posted:

IDGI, what's racist about "Hakuna Matata"?

His sole reference point for black panther is Lion King, and not the actual country he's actually king of

"He's African, right? Got it, Lion King"

Edit also because big cats

swimsuit
Jan 22, 2009

yeah
can u be racist to a king

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

swimsuit posted:

can u be racist to a king

:thunkcan:

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

His sole reference point for black panther is Lion King, and not the actual country he's actually king of

"He's African, right? Got it, Lion King"

Edit also because big cats

Wakanda isn't real, neither is pride rock.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Wakanda isn't real, neither is pride rock.

Wow drat next you're going to tell me Deadpool isn't real and neither is black panther

Almost like youre dumb as poo poo and it's a dumb point to make

Thanks power crazy

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

if you get to meet royalty and dont say the most insulting thing you can think of, you have failed as a poster

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

it's pretty racist to make fun of the panther king by referencing the lion king

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Tastykake posted:

if you get to meet royalty and dont say the most insulting thing you can think of, you have failed as a poster

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Wow drat next you're going to tell me Deadpool isn't real and neither is black panther

Almost like youre dumb as poo poo and it's a dumb point to make

Thanks power crazy

Deadpool, the character whose gimmick is breaking the 4th wall, makes a reference to another african kingdom that doesn't exist in the black panther or marvel universe but nonetheless is familiar to every reader of the comic strip. The fact that you don't "get it" shows just how dumb as poo poo you are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

another african kingdom that doesn't exist in the black panther or marvel universe

Is The Lion King not existing in the marvel universe canon?