Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

~500 mile round trip without a hiccup, aside from an obvious leak in the driver's door, uh... plastic sheet? Never noticed it as I haven't driven this car in the cold much, but cold air was blasting out from around the door handle and window switch.

Goes in the shop in a week or two for the infamous GM Delta body fuel pump module leak (plastic lines from the pump crack eventually; the official fix is a new set of lines from the pump to the filter, new pump, new fuel tank, and new filler neck, under an "enhanced warranty" good for the life of the car... aka "we didn't want to do a recall"). Now that the holidays are over I can actually take a few days off to get that done. Sick of the car reeking of gas.

Finally ordered a new OEM Hitachi MAF, showed up while I was out of town. Larrymer felt strongly that my on-again-off-again MAP out of range codes are related to a failing MAF, and the freeze frame data shows some really wonky air flow rates and air intake temp readings (idle also shows pretty high airflow for being at idle, IMO). Need to figure out if there's any kind of re-learn for the MAF, or if it's just a matter of "kill power to ECU long enough to clear it". Typical hot wire MAF that GM has used since the 80s.

opengl128 posted:

Been giving BeaterVibe some attention since I'm stuck in it all winter. I told myself I'd never spend money on it other than maintenance, but I drive it like a third of the year so eh.

Replaced the driver's door check for the THIRD time. Piece of poo poo. Snaps and breaks then the door will freely swing wide open then slam against the hinges. The inside lip of the door is already a little bent, since it was broken when I bought it and probably had been for a while. First two replacements were cheap Chinese parts, this time I got a Toyota part out of a Prius in a junkyard. We'll see if this one lasts longer.

It was sunny and clear and almost 50F today so after that stuff I took the Mustang out for a bit. Thing is a damned rocket ship after only driving the Vibe for a while.

Always get OEM for those drat checks, even if it means a used parts. They're a pain in the dick to rip out at the junkyard since the speakers were riveted in from the factory (as you discovered), at least if you have fat arms like I do, but if you're at a PnP type place, you can bend the inner door a bit to wedge your arms in. Also, the Prius one is a different length - a same-generation Corolla one will work better, and there's a lot more of those in junkyards vs Priuses.

The car is just a Matrix with a GM stereo and AC compressor (plus the body differences). The Matrix is just a Corolla wagon. They're pretty bulletproof cars aside from little poo poo (hatch struts and door checks mainly :argh:).

What did you use for screws when you replaced the speakers? Just self tapping sheet metal screws? GF's Matrix needs a lot of love in the audio department, it's getting a new head unit and front speakers for her birthday (... and a new-to-her door check on the LF door - I've had the check for months, but I don't want to gently caress with it until I have a reason to yank the speakers).

Suburban Dad posted:

Swapped out a noisy wheel bearing on wife's 2015 Outback. Stupid car only has 48k miles, but luckily it wasn't too rusty at least. :v:

But it definitely felt gritty and looked like it had taken some heat.

I've done both front bearings on my Saturn (not at the same time). One was obviously gritty and didn't want to spin by hand at all, and was too hot to handle with bare hands when it came off. The other? It spun easily and smoothly by hand, and didn't seem any warmer than the driver's side. Still went with my gut and swapped it, and it got rid of the noise. :iiam: Even comparing the original one side by side with the lovely $35 one from Rockauto, I couldn't tell any difference between how they spun or felt. One just happened to whine loudly at highway speeds...

MrOnBicycle posted:

I have a secret love/fetish for the two Camry gens. around the new millennia. The older gen is cooler looking, but the new on is safer. As a proper European I've never driven a 6+ cylinder until recently - a Sonata V6 Automatic. I instantly got why Americans like their V6 autos. So smooth and comfortable.

So now I kinda a want a V6 auto pensioner-mobile.

Before I got my last car, I test drove an older Camry (older than what you're thinking of anyway). 1999 V6 with a manual transmission.

I haggled with the dealer a bit, they wouldn't budge on the insane asking price ($6500, for a then-13 year old Camry with 100k miles, no service history, and horribly dry rotted tires), Asked if I could take it for a spin anyway.

1st gear was absolutely useless except for making clouds of tire smoke, 2nd gear wasn't much better with those tires. The tires were pretty worn when I left the lot, they had belts showing when I dropped it back off and tried to haggle some more. They wouldn't budge. Told them the tires might need a little more attention and left. :v:

The car was a unicorn, but worth maybe half of what they wanted.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Dec 31, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

BlackMK4 posted:

I salute you for going full yolo on a new car

I enjoy loving around with my ride as a hobby, my job allows me to drive something else on a daily basis so this is strictly a weekends/evenings/trips/canyons/soon to be track car/hard parking.

hattersmad posted:

As an owner of a new Civic, I’m enjoying all of the tear down pics. I also have always thought the turbo intake pipe was silly/dumb. What’s the intake piping with the fancy turbo going to look like?

Meh it doesn't look much better but it should flow better, if down the road I move to a standalone engine management solution like MoTeC then I can ditch the intake tract entirely as the MAF will no longer be required and I can just stick a filter right on the turbo. There's also a bunch of room on the table for power due to the way KTuner only has a limited timeframe to inject fuel so the limits for both the 1.5t and 2.0t are currently fueling, this is not an issue with something like a motec so even on 91 there's room to grow. Unfortunately a good motec setup is going to run around $4500-5000 so that's a big old NOPE for right now. Perhaps KTuner will be able to expand the injection period but for now that appears to be where the limitations are for power on the stock ECU.

Colostomy Bag posted:

I would escalate this with Garrett. Or perhaps by proxy via PRL.

If they can't tap holes right imagine what is going on with the mini-turbine that spins at 100,000 RPMs. I know, I know...time is money. But for such a precision part, this one would be a hill I'd die on to get it right.

It turns out, after several hardware store trips, that the oil drain flange bolts shipped with the kit were the wrong size after all at 5/16-18 and 16mm in length. We picked up 3 different types of the correct size bolts and they threaded onto the turbo without any issue at all, all the way in hand tight. At least I now have a tap/die set so that will come in handy in the future.

These are not the final bolts we used but they show that the correct threading works without problems. :science:

So that means we got the turbo on! Fellow goon Carboy44/Rowebot assisted with the driving me around to various stores looking for bolts and connecting the oil/coolant lines once we mounted the turbo.

Down pipe on, mostly removed the radiator support bracket and pushed it up and to the right to give me clearance to get to the bolts.

Starting to put the intake and hot-side piping on. This was a pretty big pain in the rear end, especially reconnecting the hot side intercooler pipe.

Bypass valve and intake/charge piping installed and tightened up.

Didn't take many pictures here but I installed the upstream o2 sensor, wastegate actuator vacuum tube, other vacuum tubing for the boost controller, the intake cross over pipe, and the turbo heatshield.

I actually forgot to install the drat o2 sensor in the downpipe before I put the intake pipe on so I didn't take pictures out of frustration as I pulled it off and put it back on again.

Everything in the engine bay is connected and tightened up at this point. No shots of the manual boost controller, it's small and hidden beneath the cold-side charge pipe, zip tied to a bracket.

All buttoned up for the night. I have one vacuum line that I need to cap off, I need to install the PRL front pipe plus the Magnaflow cat-back I have waiting to go on tomorrow, and I have some fog light housings to install before I can put the front bumper cover back on and start it up for the first time.

Also yes, I'm aware the PRL logo is upside down on the intake pipe, I think it was a mistake in production or they sent me the pipe for the larger "race" MAF and I just flipped it backwards because it fit better. In any case this was the only logical orientation so gently caress it.

Shartweek fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Dec 31, 2018

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

STR posted:

Finally ordered a new OEM Hitachi MAF, showed up while I was out of town. Larrymer felt strongly that my on-again-off-again MAP out of range codes are related to a failing MAF, and the freeze frame data shows some really wonky air flow rates and air intake temp readings (idle also shows pretty high airflow for being at idle, IMO). Need to figure out if there's any kind of re-learn for the MAF, or if it's just a matter of "kill power to ECU long enough to clear it". Typical hot wire MAF that GM has used since the 80s.

Unless it's a special case, the only reprogramming you should ever need for a MAF is if you fundamentally alter it - larger diameter, descreened, different spec altogether. I might end up doing this on the C10, the 01+ Corvette (among many other V8 applications) MAF is bigger than the 98-02 Fbody MAF, and has IAT built into it. But you need to tell the computer what airflow corresponds to each frequency reported by the MAF.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

In your case - you're using HPTuners or EFILive right? Can you pick and choose what parts of a program to load, or is it all or nothing?

I'd think it'd be a lot easier to copy and paste the Corvette's MAF tables over, as a starting point, and tune from there. But I've never used any tuning software.

Also, I thought most Hitachi MAFs (which GM has used forever) had the IAT built in. Guess not. Or is there a way to keep using the separate IAT while using the Corvette MAF?

This is genuine curiosity on my part, since I've never messed with any tuning.

That out of the way, I know at least in the 80s, GM did use the same model # MAFs with a different revision # depending on the car and engine, and the MAFs had different responses. If you swapped the wrong one, it ran like poo poo. At least according to some greybeard F-body forums I've run across.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

STR posted:

Hope this fixes it.
...and I don't look like a dummy
If not, we'll look at the data again and see what else is there. Assuming one of the couple MAPs you've tried didn't fix it, it has to be the MAF or a leak somewhere. It's not an electrical short, so there's not much else it can be.

Should be plug and play. Shouldn't need an ECU reset even, but it won't hurt and may be a little faster to learn fuel trims again if you do.

STR posted:

I've done both front bearings on my Saturn (not at the same time). One was obviously gritty and didn't want to spin by hand at all, and was too hot to handle with bare hands when it came off. The other? It spun easily and smoothly by hand, and didn't seem any warmer than the driver's side. Still went with my gut and swapped it, and it got rid of the noise. :iiam: Even comparing the original one side by side with the lovely $35 one from Rockauto, I couldn't tell any difference between how they spun or felt. One just happened to whine loudly at highway speeds...

Thankfully, the noise is gone now. I was a little unsure if this was going to be the correct one (I knew it was left side but wasn't sure if F/R, but it seemed louder when sitting in the back seat). This one never gave any indication of being warm, even after checking all the wheels after a 2-3 hour drive they all felt similar.

STR posted:

I'd think it'd be a lot easier to copy and paste the Corvette's MAF tables over, as a starting point, and tune from there. But I've never used any tuning software.

Probably a good start, but being in a different pipe/orientation/etc. will make it different vs. stock Corvette to be sure. Can probably do some steady state runs and adjust the flow curve based on wideband output (adjust airflow curve to make wideband read stoich assuming you're that's your target for cruise speeds) but I'm guessing low speed and idle will be most different.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

STR posted:

Always get OEM for those drat checks, even if it means a used parts. They're a pain in the dick to rip out at the junkyard since the speakers were riveted in from the factory (as you discovered), at least if you have fat arms like I do, but if you're at a PnP type place, you can bend the inner door a bit to wedge your arms in. Also, the Prius one is a different length - a same-generation Corolla one will work better, and there's a lot more of those in junkyards vs Priuses.

The car is just a Matrix with a GM stereo and AC compressor (plus the body differences). The Matrix is just a Corolla wagon. They're pretty bulletproof cars aside from little poo poo (hatch struts and door checks mainly :argh:).

What did you use for screws when you replaced the speakers? Just self tapping sheet metal screws? GF's Matrix needs a lot of love in the audio department, it's getting a new head unit and front speakers for her birthday (... and a new-to-her door check on the LF door - I've had the check for months, but I don't want to gently caress with it until I have a reason to yank the speakers).

Definitely sticking with OEM assuming this one lasts longer. I don't think it's any different in length, the part number is the same and the door seems to open the same amount.

I've only got 102k on mine so yeah, planning on it lasting a while. When I was shopping I was regularly seeing Matrixes and Vibes with over 200k. It's been a great trouble free beater for the few years I've had it so far.

Mounted the speakers using these that Crutchfield sent: https://www.amazon.com/Metra-82-8148-Speaker-Adapter-Vehicles/dp/B00IIC63P8

They come with screws and nuts to attach to the doors, then you just screw the speakers to the plastic mounting rings with the screws they come with. They worked fine, just had to trim the inside mounting spots to clear my 6 1/2" speakers. Even with drilling out the rivets its not a bad job, I had it down to maybe 10 minutes per door by the end, including taking the door panels off.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

STR posted:

In your case - you're using HPTuners or EFILive right? Can you pick and choose what parts of a program to load, or is it all or nothing?

Also, I thought most Hitachi MAFs (which GM has used forever) had the IAT built in. Guess not. Or is there a way to keep using the separate IAT while using the Corvette MAF?

It's a table that can be edited, so yeah you can plug in the values from the stock Corvette tune. It's still a tube style MAF instead of a blade insert, so the airflow through it should stay very close to those values. The reality is that with all of the recent / in progress changes I'm making, I should probably pay for an actual dyno tune. Right now it just has things like EGR and rear O2s tuned out.

The early LS MAF is the same one used on most of the LT1 cars as well and doesn't have an IAT sensor. Part of the reason I want the newer one is to have that sensor built in, so I don't need to have a bung for it in the intake tract anymore. Signaling is identical and the swap is common enough that cheap adapter harnesses exist to plug the separate IAT and MAF plugs into the combined sensor.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
Started out the day by installing the new LED foglights. They are 5500k and don't really match the OEM headlights but I have a solution for that soon. The fogs are Morimoto's XB LEDs and I did my best to level them while in the garage, will have to make a better effort one night on a level street with a backstop for aiming against.

Got the downpipe and front pipe mated up.

Got the OEM cat-back off, it's all one piece with nothing but hangers and being bolted up to the front-pipe holding it to the car.

Most of the new Magnaflow for comparison. Piping is only slightly larger at 2.5 compared to 2.25, and it's completely round as opposed to oval shaped on the OEM piece, plus much smaller mufflers. I will miss the HDMI tip of the stock exhaust but I am keeping it because I think I want to use it for a custom 3" setup using Vibrant components and the stock tip down the road.

It sounds pretty bitchin for a 1.5l 4 banger.

Reverted back to factory tune then applied my new base tune for the big turbo.

The car is fully put back together and I got to take it out for a spin. I let it warm up and come back down to idle while inspecting everything for leaks, none found as far as coolant and oil were concerned. Took it around the block a few times, let it warm up then gave it the beans. It made 15.1 lbs of boost on that first pull, however, every pull after that never pushed past 10.5 lbs or so, indicting to me a vacuum/boost line issue with the wastegate actuator. I am going to review my setup in the morning and see if I can optimize it/shorten the hoses or find a better location to tap into for pressure/vacuum plus check for leaks.

The two metal hard pipes are vacuum/boost but apparently if you hook up the wastegate actuator to the top line it will never open the wastegate causing the turbo to happily spool to over 30+ lbs. The bottom line connects to the recirc valve. I am tapped into the cold side charge pipe per another CivicX user who purchased the kit, as shown in the photo below, but I'm considering tapping into the top line coming off the valve cover instead. People often tap here for boost gauges, I think it should work?

Overall I am extremely happy with it right now, looking forward to getting the tune dialed in over the next few weeks! The cacophony of intake noise, turbo spool, the recirc valve blowing off, plus the new exhaust is just amazing. Videos to perhaps come later and I hope to get it onto a dyno at some point in the next couple months.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

opengl128 posted:

Definitely sticking with OEM assuming this one lasts longer. I don't think it's any different in length, the part number is the same and the door seems to open the same amount.

Mounted the speakers using these that Crutchfield sent: https://www.amazon.com/Metra-82-8148-Speaker-Adapter-Vehicles/dp/B00IIC63P8

Forget what I said about the check part number then. Didn't realize it was the same on the Prius.

Do you know if those speaker adapters will work to re-mount the stock speakers? I plan to yank the LF speaker to get to the check; my arms are kinda thick, so getting to the check without damaging the inner door skin is impossible unless I yank the speaker.

Also, on yours, do you have manual windows or power? (guessing power since I thought I saw a hatch release button...) If manual, how did you get the crank off? It's been 20+ years since I pulled a door panel with manual windows. :argh:

Suburban Dad posted:

Hope this fixes it.
...and I don't look like a dummy
If not, we'll look at the data again and see what else is there. Assuming one of the couple MAPs you've tried didn't fix it, it has to be the MAF or a leak somewhere. It's not an electrical short, so there's not much else it can be.

Should be plug and play. Shouldn't need an ECU reset even, but it won't hurt and may be a little faster to learn fuel trims again if you do.

So I tossed in the new MAF (which looked like a return - fingerprints all over it, but no marks on the screw holes from being installed, pins looked brand new, and the same p/n as what came out), and killed power to the ECU for a minute to reset it. The cold hunting idle + stalling issue when cold is still there (which I expected; I'm pretty sure the throttle body is just dirty as gently caress). I'm going to pull the throttle body and clean it, and while I'm at it, replace the throttle body gasket (the old car taught me just how easy it is to pinch that gasket, but on that one, it resulted in a "reduced power" light and a 2000 RPM idle the first time, and a hunting idle between 500-1500 and lean codes the second time).

There's always been a bit of a bog if I went full throttle below 1500 rpm; it would fall on its face, sputter a bit, then take off. That's completely gone. There used to be the occasional buck during mid-throttle acceleration around 2500-3500. That seems to be mostly gone. I used to be able to reliably get the CEL to come on just by letting the clutch out at idle, then stomping the throttle to the floor. Tried multiple times, no CEL. Unfortunately, I left my code reader in Dallas, so unless I can find my old one, I have no way to check for pending codes. Also, the old Ion had the same bog issue toward the end, but it wasn't throwing any codes.

It still has the original fuel filter, which I suspect may be causing it to lean out when I get on it (not pinging, but there's some hesitation at higher RPMs @ WOT); I'm holding off on changing that until the new fuel pump module + lines get installed (if you remember, special coverage 12191, superseded by 12191A I believe). I did try changing it, but the lines are pretty stuck from corrosion, so I'll just let the dealer deal with those when they replace all of that. Plus I don't want them trying to say "oh, you smell fuel because the filter was just changed"

I do still have another MAP to try, but if it chucks another MAP code, I'll try that one for a few days; if it doesn't work, I'll order a new Delphi or AC Delco Original Equipment part (whichever is cheaper... should be the same OEM part).

Overall, the car does run a lot better with the new MAF (put ~100 miles on it today, it's a noticeable difference). It'll take a couple of tanks to see if it makes a big difference on MPG, but my trip to Dallas was a disappointing 28 mpg (rated 32 highway), trip back was 27.5. I hit 35 mpg on the same trip in the old car on multiple occasions.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jan 1, 2019

doogle
May 24, 2003

Ignore this.

doogle fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jan 1, 2019

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

STR posted:

Do you know if those speaker adapters will work to re-mount the stock speakers? I plan to yank the LF speaker to get to the check; my arms are kinda thick, so getting to the check without damaging the inner door skin is impossible unless I yank the speaker.

Also, on yours, do you have manual windows or power? (guessing power since I thought I saw a hatch release button...) If manual, how did you get the crank off? It's been 20+ years since I pulled a door panel with manual windows. :argh:

Don't think so, the stock speaker/assembly as a whole is the same size as the new speaker + adapter. You'd have to rivet it back into place I think.

I have power windows, which maybe explains why I was able to replace the check twice before without removing the speaker. There's another access hole above it I had no trouble reaching through.

As for taking the crank off, I always used the rag trick when I had manual windows, just run it back and forth under the base until the clip pops out and fires across the driveway into the lawn.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

MrOnBicycle posted:

I have a secret love/fetish for the two Camry gens. around the new millennia. The older gen is cooler looking, but the new on is safer. As a proper European I've never driven a 6+ cylinder until recently - a Sonata V6 Automatic. I instantly got why Americans like their V6 autos. So smooth and comfortable.

So now I kinda a want a V6 auto pensioner-mobile.

I daily drive a V8... :911:

Although I've been half-heartedly looking for something like a vw TDi that gets better mileage as a daily driver. I just can't justify the cost and overhead of ANOTHER drat car in the fleet. I'm already up to about 6...

I finally had time to do some maintenance over the holidays.
This poo poo really pisses me off, why didn't they put an access hatch in the engine skid plate to get to the oil filter. And once you take that stupid thing off, why does it have to do this...

Next oil change due at 264k miles.... Getting scary close to a timing belt interval...

This massive thing showed up:

I randomly bought some flanges off ebay I thought might be the right size... I hit it bang on.

AAAAAAnd all is now quiet again.

chrisgt fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 1, 2019

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

S2000 got a square 17x10 +55 Wedsport SA72R to replace the 17x9 +45 RPF1s so I can stick a big brake kit under it later this year, with the added benefit of better fender clearance and optimizing a 255 tire.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

BlackMK4 posted:

S2000 got a square 17x10 +55 Wedsport SA72R to replace the 17x9 +45 RPF1s so I can stick a big brake kit under it later this year, with the added benefit of better fender clearance and optimizing a 255 tire.

Serious wang my dude!

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

BlackMK4 posted:

Your car looks like so much fun.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
:) Problem is getting more grip out of the front since it pushes in long, fast corners (at 2* AoA and a front splitter). I have a few ideas, we will see.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Speed holes, obviously.

But there is likely a lot you can do up front with ducting and venting without even making the splitter any bigger. Although I don't know what your splitter/front end looks like.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

opengl128 posted:

Don't think so, the stock speaker/assembly as a whole is the same size as the new speaker + adapter. You'd have to rivet it back into place I think.

I have power windows, which maybe explains why I was able to replace the check twice before without removing the speaker. There's another access hole above it I had no trouble reaching through.

TBH, I pulled the check from a Corolla, which may have a different inner skin. I've never had the door panels off on her car. I can't see them using a different skin for power vs manual, so it'll probably have the same hole; that's good to know.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

jamal posted:

Speed holes, obviously.

But there is likely a lot you can do up front with ducting and venting without even making the splitter any bigger. Although I don't know what your splitter/front end looks like.

I'll post a picture, but it is a super un-optimized 1/2" birch that is a 4" extension from the bottom EDGE of the bumper, after being spaced down about an inch with an airdam to cover up the gap between the splitter and bottom of the bumper, then extends back to basically the steering rack.

I plan to push the splitter down a bit mor, add fences on either side to cover the front of the tire, and I modeled and 3d printed some diffusers similar to the Professional Awesome ones. I should be venting the fenders and hood but I am really trying hard not to gently caress up my original vin tagged panels. I'm completely open to having suggestions thrown at me. I am just running NASA TA-B this upcoming year, which I am dyno'd at 200whp for and I'd guess I am about 2900 including driver at this point, so I can lose 900 pounds or make 90whp more and still be in class. No aero restrictions. Plan is to try some TT4 next year (without going hoho) since TT5 is pointless from a contingency point of view locally, even though I am way outclassed.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jan 2, 2019

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

chrisgt posted:

I daily drive a V8... :911:

I'm starting to lose hope of ever owning a V8 car. The LS400 would be perfect as it gets decent mileage as well as being safe. Cheap to buy. Just missed out on one the other day, but I'm not going car shopping on the day before NYE.

The 4-cyls I own now are pretty nice sounding and characterful for being modern engines, but I'm getting real tired of 4-cyl cars, and time is kinda running out for bigger engines. Even a V6 Sonata got me excited for crying out loud...

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

MrOnBicycle posted:

I'm starting to lose hope of ever owning a V8 car. The LS400 would be perfect as it gets decent mileage as well as being safe. Cheap to buy. Just missed out on one the other day, but I'm not going car shopping on the day before NYE.

The 4-cyls I own now are pretty nice sounding and characterful for being modern engines, but I'm getting real tired of 4-cyl cars, and time is kinda running out for bigger engines. Even a V6 Sonata got me excited for crying out loud...

First gen LS400s are such nice looking cars, also look the tits with a slight drop. The engine will run for all eternity with the minimum of maintenance and sound seriously good with a decent exhaust, a friend had one with a straight through and it was incredible sounding. Another friend has one with a similar setup and again, yes. If you have the means, get one.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Olympic Mathlete posted:

First gen LS400s are such nice looking cars, also look the tits with a slight drop. The engine will run for all eternity with the minimum of maintenance and sound seriously good with a decent exhaust, a friend had one with a straight through and it was incredible sounding. Another friend has one with a similar setup and again, yes. If you have the means, get one.

Yea, I really like the first gens. Just hope you never have to replace the starter (I hope the same thing on my sequoia... (same-ish engine)), and the timing belts are kind of a pain in the rear end. Otherwise pretty good vehicles.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

jamal posted:

Speed holes, obviously.

You can tell who has been to the track and who hasn't. :colbert:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

The correct answer is to own a V12.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Colostomy Bag posted:

The correct answer is to own a V12.

I can't tell you how much I'd love to find an early Mercedes s600 project...

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

BlackMK4 posted:

I'll post a picture, but it is a super un-optimized 1/2" birch that is a 4" extension from the bottom EDGE of the bumper, after being spaced down about an inch with an airdam to cover up the gap between the splitter and bottom of the bumper, then extends back to basically the steering rack.

I plan to push the splitter down a bit mor, add fences on either side to cover the front of the tire, and I modeled and 3d printed some diffusers similar to the Professional Awesome ones. I should be venting the fenders and hood but I am really trying hard not to gently caress up my original vin tagged panels. I'm completely open to having suggestions thrown at me. I am just running NASA TA-B this upcoming year, which I am dyno'd at 200whp for and I'd guess I am about 2900 including driver at this point, so I can lose 900 pounds or make 90whp more and still be in class. No aero restrictions. Plan is to try some TT4 next year (without going hoho) since TT5 is pointless from a contingency point of view locally, even though I am way outclassed.

Anyway, here are some pictures of it now, along with the diffuser I printed -- I was kinda thinking about putting it in the center or printing another and putting one on each side (kind of like https://www.miataturbo.net/aerodynamics-119/hypermiatas-2017-splitter-98415/). You can see there is a pretty large amount of tire frontal area that I plan to block off with sheet metal, which will also help support the outside edge of the splitter since it is weak there. Passes the stand test in front of the car where I expect there to be air built up anyway.

I am kind of limited in what I can do in that I pretty much refuse to cut holes into my OEM body panels. I ended up getting lucky and finding a trunk cheap for the wing.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jan 3, 2019

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Your car and what you do with it is neat. :justpost:

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

MrOnBicycle posted:

I'm in the same boat of looking for my first V8 as I'm a bit tired of all the 4cyls, but I'm looking at Jaguar XJRs. They're really cheap and pretty reliable but seem to have geriatric owners who never miss a service rather than the cheap bastards (at least around here) who take Lexus reliability to mean "i never have to maintain any of it".

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

chrisgt posted:

I can't tell you how much I'd love to find an early Mercedes s600 project...

Oh, they are projects alright.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Colostomy Bag posted:

Oh, they are projects alright.

Since timing chains going slack is inevitable, probably just get one with that problem. Reduces the purchase price and starts me out hating the thing right from the start. I can't see how to go wrong with this plan. At least it'll look pretty while it ties up a bay in a garage somewhere...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Grakkus posted:

I'm in the same boat of looking for my first V8 as I'm a bit tired of all the 4cyls, but I'm looking at Jaguar XJRs. They're really cheap and pretty reliable but seem to have geriatric owners who never miss a service rather than the cheap bastards (at least around here) who take Lexus reliability to mean "i never have to maintain any of it".

What are your thoughts on Crown Vics? Or even better, a Mercury Marauder?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Rhyno posted:

And if you hate both of these cars, maybe I can interest you in a lincoln town car or a mercury grand marquis.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Both are cool, I'd love a Marauder in particular, but I'm in Europe so they are rare and pricey and parts are hard to come by :( I can pick up an X308 XJR for about 60-70% of the price of a Crown Vic and it's faster and the interior is more luxurious. As for the Marauder, I don't think I've ever seen one for sale.. but now you've reminded me I'm setting an alert for one!

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
Just jump in the deep in head first like I did with n ‘89 Bentley Turbo R from ebay.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i have a weird fixation on maurauders

they are just so low key cool

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh I didn't realize! That's a shame man, a buddy of mine just bought a knackered Marauder but he practically stole it so we're all calling it a good purchase.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Get on the monthly COP plan when you buy one. Great cars, but...yeehaw with that flaw.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

BlackMK4 posted:

Anyway, here are some pictures of it now, along with the diffuser I printed -- I was kinda thinking about putting it in the center or printing another and putting one on each side (kind of like https://www.miataturbo.net/aerodynamics-119/hypermiatas-2017-splitter-98415/). You can see there is a pretty large amount of tire frontal area that I plan to block off with sheet metal, which will also help support the outside edge of the splitter since it is weak there. Passes the stand test in front of the car where I expect there to be air built up anyway.

I am kind of limited in what I can do in that I pretty much refuse to cut holes into my OEM body panels. I ended up getting lucky and finding a trunk cheap for the wing.

I can't really tell on the height but I'm not sure how much lower I would make it. Seems to be good to keep it off the ground to me. Plus the lower it is I think the more sensitive it'll be to ride height changes and maybe pitch. On the other hand keeping air under the car to a minimum is maybe more important without a full flat bottom and diffusers.

Endplates and a little flap on the fronts of the wheel wells would be a good change and other than that I don't think I'd do a lot different. I think GTA street class rules let it be 5" so unless you're doing something that requires a shorter one I'd make it that size.

Holes in the hood I think would be the next big improvement you can make. Making a duct from your grill to your radiator and out the top will mean a lot of air that otherwise ends up in the wheel wells and under the car goes out the top instead, so not only is there less lift, you're diverting that air upward to create some downforce. When I look at other race/time attack cars that seems like probably the most overlooked aspect of otherwise pretty well built stuff

Maybe find another hood if you don't want to cut up your stock one?

jamal fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jan 3, 2019

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Colostomy Bag posted:

Get on the monthly COP plan when you buy one. Great cars, but...yeehaw with that flaw.

I've put in one set of coils in the 3+ (4 in April) years I've had my P71, and realistically I probably only needed to replace 1 coil rather than the whole set, but they were cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

jamal posted:

I can't really tell on the height but I'm not sure how much lower I would make it. Seems to be good to keep it off the ground to me. Plus the lower it is I think the more sensitive it'll be to ride height changes and maybe pitch. On the other hand keeping air under the car to a minimum is maybe more important without a full flat bottom and diffusers.

Endplates and a little flap on the fronts of the wheel wells would be a good change and other than that I don't think I'd do a lot different. I think GTA street class rules let it be 5" so unless you're doing something that requires a shorter one I'd make it that size.

Holes in the hood I think would be the next big improvement you can make. Making a duct from your grill to your radiator and out the top will mean a lot of air that otherwise ends up in the wheel wells and under the car goes out the top instead, so not only is there less lift, you're diverting that air upward to create some downforce. When I look at other race/time attack cars that seems like probably the most overlooked aspect of otherwise pretty well built stuff

Maybe find another hood if you don't want to cut up your stock one?

It sits roughly 2.5" off the ground, iirc (I have the car in the air right now).

I'll go for 5" on the splitter when I cut my next one out, I also plan to wet wrap it in CF or something for a little bit more rigidity next time around. I'm in the middle of cutting spats that cover the front profile of the wheels, otherwise I'd have gone for end plate/gurney style like you were talking about... and might end up just going that way because I would hate to rip off my front bumper.

A few people have said exactly what you did in terms of cutting the hood / fenders for vents so I guess it is time to nut up and find a used hood (or maybe a poo poo vented CF knockoff). I was thinking these: http://trackspecmotorsports.com/shop-by-vehicle/s2000/s2000-99-09
The ducting is an interesting idea, and there is room for it. I've also got an oil cooler going in today so I do need the space.

Not that it really matters, but the car would be legal for GTA Street other than the missing interior around the rollbar, now that that has changed. Uncle Tony runs the NASA AZ TA tech/rules too (as I'm sure you know :lol: ), so it would suck if it went that way here as well.
e: An essentially legal for Enthusiast, other than the two way dampers.

As always, cautiously optimistic with this car. It has done nothing but work really well for the past two years.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jan 4, 2019