Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
We've missed the last few episode of the season, if we watched the special would we be spoilt on anything major?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I dropped off half way through and watched this one, nothing major is spoiled from what I could tell. Two of the Tardis gang seem closer than they were when I watched last and that's about it.

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010
It was alright, still suffers from too much exposition and 'stating the obvious' lines. The puppeted lady commiting crimes was the best part.

It's a shame they still didn't Yaz anything to do and the big emotional scenes with Ryan nd his dad fell completely flat for me.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Ryan's dad has had more character work in one New Year's Special than a whole season of Yaz.

Fun episode. The big baddie was actually kind of scary and threatening which they havent been in a long time. Shame about the Stormtrooper aim though.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Thought this was one of the stronger episodes of the season and felt like a much better season finale. Yaz still got the shaft again, at least she could have rang up her old station or something for some kind of information.

Time to rank the season's episodes?

11. Arachnids in the UK - Weakest villain, good special effects and the first non-ending for the season.
10. The Ghost Monument - I like the setup but the episode doesn't seem to *go* anywhere, even though the whole episode is about a trek to the Tardis.
9. The Tsuranga Conundrum - Good effects on the Pting. Felt like the characters of an RTD episode but lacked some RTD-level umph to it.
8. The Battle of Ranskoor Av Kolos - Waste of Mark Addy, though he was good in it. Ux were another interesting concept but seems like unrealized potential. Tim Shaw was also still a joke. The show seems to treat him as a joke but never fully delivers on it, leaving the viewer unsatisfied.
7. The Witchfinders - Alan Cumming is delightfully hammy, last act falls apart a bit once the monsters are revealed but props for being an *evil* alien finally.
6. Kerblam! - Fun and enjoyable romp, post-kerblaming ending falls short.
5. The Woman Who Fell to Earth - Thought Jodie did well and hit the ground running. Also felt it was a good introduction for the companions.
4. Resolution - Great return for the Daleks, giving us a new and fresh approach for their story. Felt properly menacing and gave Jodie the first chance to finally play off against a series stalwart.
3. Rosa - Potentially the season's best, let down by the unresolved villain plot threads. Personally hoping Chibnall picks that back up and delivers on Krasko in an interesting way, more so than he did with Tim Shaw.
2. It Takes You Away - Great fantastical story, middle of the episode is a bit weak, even if I like most of the concepts of the buffer zone.
1. Demons of the Punjab - Strongest episode of the season for me, gave most of the gang something to do, with Yaz finally able to step up. Some great Doctor humor and solid argument for possibly jumping all in on a pure historical next season.

Overall I'm happy with the season. Things which I think could have solidified this season or aka things I'd like to see next season:

1. One more returning monster appearance. Would like to see Chibnall get in at least two returners from now on. Even if it's minor aliens, or heck, even something from classic who which hasn't migrated over yet.
2. Bottle episode in the Tardis to really highlight the redesign and team dynamics. Selfishly I just want this to keep costs down and get back up to 13 episodes a season.
3. Doctor-lite episode to pump up Yaz. Have the companions on Earth while the Doctor is off recharging the Tardis or something, have Yaz get involved in something monstery through her job. Ryan, Graham and Aaron can be off on holiday or something. Would actually be a good way to do a loosely connected three-parter. Have one episode with the Doctor, another with Yaz and the third with the three guys.

Teek fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jan 2, 2019

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

BioEnchanted posted:

Also the whole Dalek being home made just like the Doctor's screwdriver is a neat parallel.

Yeah, the series was bookended with neat steampunk construction sequences. TBH, that's kinda my biggest disappointment with 13 as a character; I wish the writers had run with her being a gadgety tinkerer. Yeah, she's had some cool gadgets this season...but she's just kinda pulled them out of hammerspace. "Here's your neural dampers/translators/shield generators, kids".

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

TinTower posted:

Also, with mind control tentacles, Chibbers is truly a horny millennial at heart.
That scene with the Dales and the lady archaeologist in her house was a bit much for me tbh. Though I suppose it could've hollowed her out like in Asylum of the Daleks.

BioEnchanted posted:

Also the whole Dalek being home made just like the Doctor's screwdriver is a neat parallel.

That was a fantastic little callback that worked really well.

The title cards were very Killing Eve.

Gravastars
Sep 9, 2011

I feel a bit better about Chibnall's season now we've had something that feels more like a finale. The dalek was creepy and interesting, and the stakes felt more real than they usually do.

My main complaint is the slow and drab build-up. This was something Moffat excelled at because he always managed to make these kind of 'context' scenes interesting. Compare, for example, the build-up in A Good Man Goes to War or The Wedding of River Song to this episode's flat, voice-over exposition and weird title cards.

Once the episode got going, it was pretty good however. The acting of the supporting cast was dodgy, but I at least cared about what happened to them. The next season definitely needs more stuff like a dalek being pulled over for speeding.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Ya'll saying that Ryan's dad should have died are some morbid motherfuckers.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

AndyElusive posted:

Ya'll saying that Ryan's dad should have died are some morbid motherfuckers.

I'm very glad they didn't but I fully expected them to do it all the same.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
One small issue, they set up these two characters in love and then she’s possessed, so far so good, you figure this will be key to the climactic action of the story, but when she gets saved it’s kind of incidental? Like you figure RTD or Moffat would have milked that for a little more. But then it would interfere with the stuff with Ryan’s dad, so I’m not sure how best to resolve that.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Gaz-L posted:

I like the Dalek's little grabby hand in place of the plunger.

And Bradley as Cockney geezer Doctor would probably have been great but too similar in a way to Capaldi.

Edit: And the Doctor being only barely passive-aggressive (in the sense that she was about a hair's width from outright aggression) to Ryan's dad was great.

See I interpreted that the other way- that “makes up for your lack of parenting” quip seemed like the Doctor briefly forgetting how humans talk as she historically has sometimes done.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Nah, Jodie can distinguish those two. Her delivery of the 'intruder alert' bit about the doorbell is "the Doctor doesn't understand how normal Earth stuff works". The stuff with Ryan's dad was an extension of her reading him the riot act about not showing up at the funeral.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Gravastars posted:

My main complaint is the slow and drab build-up. This was something Moffat excelled at because he always managed to make these kind of 'context' scenes interesting. Compare, for example, the build-up in A Good Man Goes to War or The Wedding of River Song to this episode's flat, voice-over exposition and weird title cards.

I think if anything Chibnall's approach has confirmed just how Michael Bay-ish Moffat was getting, I don't get whiplash from illogical contexts jumbled together under foghorn-loud "dramatic" music, nor am I as disappointed with the core story. It's not perfect but it comes a lot closer towards a more classic Doctor, and I won't look that gift horse in the mouth.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

That was great, and gets bonus points for actually having an ending.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i was leery of the 'ryan's dad returns' plot point but both actors really did a great job. it wasn't exactly groundbreaking but they made it work

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

That was a way better closer to the season that The Battle of I Can't Even Remember The Silly Name and the Dustbin Dalek was pretty great. Best part was the Dalek "piloting" the human and the way its emotions were being translated via her facial expressions - they did a great job of making it clear how monstrous/inhuman the Daleks are - the little smile after,"This isn't a rescue... this is combat" was perfect.

I absolutely love that this was an early Dalek, one of the first to leave Skaro, so presumably the only Doctors it ever encountered were Hartnell and Tom Baker. So it doesn't IMMEDIATELY recognize the Doctor, but after the initial scan and her giving her name, the way it recoils like,"AHH gently caress!" was just excellent. It very much felt like a reasonable extrapolation of how a Classic Series Dalek might react to a Revival Series Doctor.

There are still some of the clear pacing/edit issues that have been present throughout this season, but it is up on the higher end of the stories and I'm really glad this is my last memory of the show until 2020 rather than the lackluster "finale" episode.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I might be mistaken in this claim, but in reflection that was a Dalek story that we've been told about but never had turned into a proper story - over and again we hear how devious and dangerous Daleks are, even without their nasty metal suits, and how one living Dalek stranded without any resources is still a top-tierthreat... but this is the first time we've been show a Dalek in action that way!

So even without being given bonus points for being clever, that was an excellent episode.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

CommonShore posted:

I might be mistaken in this claim, but in reflection that was a Dalek story that we've been told about but never had turned into a proper story - over and again we hear how devious and dangerous Daleks are, even without their nasty metal suits, and how one living Dalek stranded without any resources is still a top-tierthreat... but this is the first time we've been show a Dalek in action that way!

That's actually a great point, we got new Dalek lore, something I did not expect.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CommonShore posted:

So even without being given bonus points for being clever, that was an excellent episode.

I'd argue that Dalek is a pretty good episode about showing how sly and dangerous even a captive, weaponless and powered-down Dalek can be. The way it recovers during its conversation with the Doctor and starts trying to push his buttons is good, but even better is the way it reads the room when Rose shows up and figures out EXACTLY how to play her to get what it wants. I thought it was really well done/interesting.

THIS particular Dalek was a right bastard though and I really liked how they demonstrated how smart/innovative it was.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
That was a good episode. Leaving the total good episodes for this season at 1. Well done everybody! Who is BACK!

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Quality of the episode aside (I enjoyed it), I'll say one thing - there were enough short hops in this episode to show me I bloody love how the vortex and travelling through it looks this season.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Wolfechu posted:

Quality of the episode aside (I enjoyed it), I'll say one thing - there were enough short hops in this episode to show me I bloody love how the vortex and travelling through it looks this season.

Loved the scene where his dad stepped into the TARDIS and you could see the blurred lights of the vortex coming through the window.

Also nice that they explicitly called out a reminder for why they don't just drive the TARDIS around for all the trips in an episode, that short trips aren't really what it's designed for.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It reminded me of in Runaway Bride where the Tardis is spinning wildly down a motorway.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I was enjoying this episode up until the Doctor's plan of "find a Dalek-sized black hole." That's what the plan was, right? I still have no loving clue how that was supposed to work.

I am glad they resisted the temptation to have a steampunk Dalek and instead went with ironworks Dalek. The human-steering Dalek was a simply fantastic idea.

This was pretty clearly Chibnall's best work of the series, though that's damning with the faintest of praise. The semi-procedural style really doesn't work for this show at all, at least the way it's going so far. Ideally it would be about characters breaking into groups and accomplishing different tasks or learning different things... but everybody largely stays together and there's been next to no development of the characters. The only episode that did a good job of this was Ker-blam! and that was awful for entirely separate reasons.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rochallor posted:

I was enjoying this episode up until the Doctor's plan of "find a Dalek-sized black hole." That's what the plan was, right? I still have no loving clue how that was supposed to work.

She dropped the TARDIS into orbit around a star going supernova and opened up a tiny patch in the forcefield around the TARDIS large enough (and positioned expertly enough) that it was pulling on the Dalek only. The Dalek held on long enough that the hole started to widen and pull more stuff in until Ryan was able to get hold of his dad and the Dalek couldn't hold on any longer.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Rochallor posted:

Thought it was more "leave a Dalek sized hole in the Tardis's forcefield or shielding or whatever you would call it." Except she messed up and didn't have as fine a control on it as she thought so oops, it slipped open wider.

E:fb

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I really enjoyed that episode (and the jab that bascially UNIT was disbanded due to Brexit). I'm bummed that it's going to be an entire year before we get more episodes.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm real happy her reaction to the Dalek was "Kill it as dead as it possibly could be killed and then KILL IT SOME MORE."

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

Not sure how, but it could be.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

(and the jab that bascially UNIT was disbanded due to Brexit)

That plus the DW version of Trump trying to get out of it just like NATO and every other international treaty.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

SimplyCosmic posted:

That plus the DW version of Trump trying to get out of it just like NATO and every other international treaty.

Didn't they make it explicitly Trump in the episode with Chris Noth? Specifically that he was running for president because he was infuriated tht Trump had managed it?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

CommonShore posted:

Jerusalem posted:

I'd argue that Dalek is a pretty good episode about showing how sly and dangerous even a captive, weaponless and powered-down Dalek can be. The way it recovers during its conversation with the Doctor and starts trying to push his buttons is good, but even better is the way it reads the room when Rose shows up and figures out EXACTLY how to play her to get what it wants. I thought it was really well done/interesting.

THIS particular Dalek was a right bastard though and I really liked how they demonstrated how smart/innovative it was.

The BF story "The Dalek Transaction" in UNIT: Encounters just might be what you're looking for.

Big Finish posted:

When a rogue guerrilla faction offer an alien artefact for auction, Kate Stewart and her team go undercover to the jungles of Central America. But they find that the prize on offer is far deadlier than its owners realise. Captive, desperate and alone. That’s when a Dalek is at its most dangerous.

It turns out that the Dalek mutant has been sneaking out of its casing at night, setting traps and facilitating a means for its eventual escape without any of its captors realizing what it was up to

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Just realised that the best merchandise the BBC could produce right now is a Dalek mutant backpack.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

That was good and occasionally great. Definitely Chibnall's best.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
That's probably one of my favorite episodes of the season, and almost definitely my favorite New-Who Dalek story (depending on if Doomsday counts). It's always felt hard to make a Dalek story feel impactful these days, because the Daleks themselves are such a known quantity that aren't taken seriously anymore, but this one definitely proved there's still the ability to make one scary, you just have to get clever with it.

Echoing the love for Scrap Heap Dalek, but I do want to say that a lot of the episode, especially after it turned up, felt really seventies to me for some reason. The outdoor lighting, the way its action scenes were shot, the way the GCHQ title was written, the inside of the GCHQ itself, it all reminded me specifically of suspenseful 70s sci-fi films, and I kinda loved that.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I thought it was fine but the bit at the start with the medieval battle scene felt like it was going to turn into an advert for Skittles or Progressive or something. :v:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I really like the idea of the scrapheap Dalek but the middle section seemed a bit skinny and cylindrical given how wide the base was. It looked fine from the front but a bit weird from some other angles.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Good story, perhaps the best of the series. But I’m sadly shaking my head at the people saying it’s the first time we’ve seen a Dalek mutant be a menace outside it’s casing, how soon we forget Resurrection of the Daleks!

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
I really liked the special but then I am very forgiving of Doctor Who in all its forms. It really struck me last night that if it had been a Moffat or maybe even an RTD episode then Lin would have been dead by the end, not basically ok with a new boyfriend.

Which stands in stark contrast to the cruel death of the girl in 'Kerblam!' really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Really enjoyed that, and certainly the most interesting Dalek story in some time.

I did enjoy the Doctor all "LOOK I GAVE IT A CHANCE TO SURRENDER YOU ALL SAW ME RIGHT?!?" Also I'm assuming that the supernova the Doctor took the Dalek to at the end was the one that had destroyed Skaro back in the day.

I thought they handled Ryan's father very well, and I particularly liked that the reason he hosed up so badly with Ryan was because he just fell apart after his wife and later his mother died (and that that didn't actually make it okay that he had hosed up with Ryan).

Here's hoping they use the delay til 2020 brainstorming storyline ideas for Yaz.