Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is this show
Gay?
Sad?
Sad and Gay?
What the hell is wrong with you people?
View Results

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Not only that, but the arc is literally just (including Legs) a mere 4 episodes followed by an hour special (so an amount of time equivalent to 8 episodes). That's roughly the longest stretch of time townie episodes have lasted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Caidin posted:

Man, I straight up don't care about Homeworld, don't like the diamonds on a couple different levels and nothing in these episodes have changed that with no end in sight. This blows.

I feel you, yeah. Than again like someone else pointed out this whole arc is supposed to be basically a visit to lovely family. This arc is really capturing that long tense feeling of being in a place you don't wanna be getting subjected to conversations you don't wanna have.

Hopefully it ends with guillotines though.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
One day Aimee Man will come back. One day.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Caidin posted:

Man, I straight up don't care about Homeworld, don't like the diamonds on a couple different levels and nothing in these episodes have changed that with no end in sight. This blows.

INT. CARTOON NETWORK OFFICE - DAY

A CARTOON NETWORK EXEC closes his smartphone and turns back to the other waiting executives.

EXEC
"I don't know, they don't like the Diamonds. What the fans want is another Onion Gang. Perhaps even another Rocknaldo."

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Homeworld won't be liberated by a boss fight. The reason for this is because the personal combat abilities of the Diamonds aren't what upholds the system.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

INT. CARTOON NETWORK OFFICE - DAY

A CARTOON NETWORK EXEC closes his smartphone and turns back to the other waiting executives.

EXEC
"I don't know, they don't like the Diamonds. What the fans want is another Onion Gang. Perhaps even another Rocknaldo."

Onion Gang was great because it turns out there was a guy in real life who actually had the nickname "Squash" and he got super excited because the character 'Squash' in that episode looked just like he did when he was a kid. Then he posted pictures of himself doing this:

I'm all for more episodes that inspire things this adorable. Squash is a cool dude.

There is nothing good about Rocknaldo, though.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

LemonLimeTime posted:

why is this bad again?

Heck if I know, all these gals are great.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

chitoryu12 posted:

Maybe trust that the writers who have had this planned out for years are better at this than you?

As others have noted it's just easier to rag on about this cause of how little has been released in recent times, the current season started back in 2017 after all

Open Source Idiom posted:

One day Aimee Man will come back. One day.

I've said it in the past, but they really just need to recast her and Sugilite already, it's idiotic that what should be two of the most important fusions in the show have been mostly nonexistent since their respective debuts just because they can never get their VA's in the studio

Satchel and Trunk
Nov 4, 2008
Just no pleasing some people, these episodes are great.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

If they wanted to use Opal and couldn't get Mann they'd recast it in a second, I'm sure. She only had three lines.

It's more likely they just haven't wanted to use her.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
Yeah, I've thought the last few episodes were fantastic, and until Yellow Diamond whips out an AOE version of that beam I'm not sold that a worldwide uprising + Stevonnie couldn't handle her in a real fight. There'd be a lot of poofing, but she can only drop one gem at a time--it's not a fight the Crystal Gems can win alone, but they've already planted the seeds of a legit rebellion.

That's if it even comes to a fight--the walls and furniture and appliances and poo poo all being gems themselves means there's other ways to undermine the Diamonds if talking them down is totally off the table.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Lunatic Sledge posted:

the walls and furniture and appliances and poo poo all being gems themselves means there's other ways to undermine the Diamonds

:rimshot:

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
We can all agree that White didn't come because she can't, right? She's cracked herself in some way?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

VanSandman posted:

We can all agree that White didn't come because she can't, right? She's cracked herself in some way?
It's pretty obvious that she can't move, but I have a theory that her pearl speaking in her voice is because she's controlling her directly as an avatar. So, in a sense, White Diamond was at the ball.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

VanSandman posted:

I think it's actually because she can't move anymore because she's literally holding the broken planet together.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Even if the diamonds are powerful enough to poof all of Homeworld, that's not exactly an automatic win button. Steven managed to plant the seed in both Pearls and some courtiers that were literal cogs. It's abundantly clear that they don't have the resources to sweep Steven and any subversives under the rug and just keep Homeworld chugging along, even if the diamonds' physical bodies are not under any threat.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Caidin posted:

I really can't understand what you'd be watching this for if you didn't care about homeworld/the gems. This is what the whole show has been leading up to!

As someone said earlier these episodes absolutely feel like they should have been a bomb. It just doesn't quite work in 10 minute segments and they're just really suddenly coming to an end.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

It works for me, I love it and I missed the weekly releases. More time to think about/do fandom stuff with each individual episode, as opposed to the bomb format where they all come out at once and the less prominent stories in the middle get glossed over.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Taear posted:

I really can't understand what you'd be watching this for if you didn't care about homeworld/the gems. This is what the whole show has been leading up to.

Well to get to the root of the issue I keep checking back in on SU in the hopes that Pearl has become the main character and the show is now about her kicking everyone's rear end all the time.

I'm positive the creators will come to their senses and implement this shortly.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I guess I've always assumed Yellow Diamond has more power/strength than just the beams. Like, even if she couldn't use that to take out a gem/fusion, she could just beat them with something else/normal combat.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Caidin posted:

Well to get to the root of the issue I keep checking back in on SU in the hopes that Pearl has become the main character and the show is now about her kicking everyone's rear end all the time.

I'm positive the creators will come to their senses and implement this shortly.

There are now MORE Pearls than ever, so your chances keep going up.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I guess I've always assumed Yellow Diamond has more power/strength than just the beams. Like, even if she couldn't use that to take out a gem/fusion, she could just beat them with something else/normal combat.

She's also the size of a building and just as fast or faster than any Crystal Gem. I'm sure she could easily take on any individual Gem of less than Diamond strength in combat if she lost her ability to poof them with a wave for some reason.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I think it's actually because she can't move anymore because she's literally holding the broken planet together.
She can't move because she's just so (mentally) rigid.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I have to say, every time they used that shot of the leg ship in front of White Diamond was absolutely hilarious.

It just looked so sassy.

If every ship assembled, could they do some Dance, Dance Revolution on that platform there?

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jan 2, 2019

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I wonder if by the time they get back to Earth it'll turn out Lars and the Off-Colors already made it there.

Also, I bet Peridot and Lapis are gonna have significant design changes by the time they reform.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I wonder if by the time they get back to Earth it'll turn out Lars and the Off-Colors already made it there.

Also, I bet Peridot and Lapis are gonna have significant design changes by the time they reform.

Based on the credits promo Steven is going to contact Lars and him and the off colors are going to come back. I don't think they made it to earth yet

edit: Though I'm not totally sure how since Lion isn't with them but I feel that's what he was implying

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
"so connie, remember how you said you would die for me? don't worry bringing you back is part of the plan"

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

I don’t care about anything else until I know the Jades are OK

“I knew I couldn’t be the only one!” was funny but also it broke my heart :smith:

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

This arc will end with Homeworld blowing up and every gem there being stranded in Beach City.

Satchel and Trunk
Nov 4, 2008

Rhonne posted:

This arc will end with Homeworld blowing up and every gem there being stranded in Beach City.

I'm waiting for Lars to show up and to begin the great offcolor gem exodus to earth through his head.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

This better end in a beam struggle.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I hope Peridot and Bismuth are working on a giant robot.

I'm still sure a Peridot/Lapis fusion will be able to control earth.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Funky Valentine posted:

This better end in a beam struggle.

Kamehameha or nothing.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Rhonne posted:

I'm pretty sure the series ends with a rendition of the opening theme song being performed on homeworld, making use of the ambiguity of the line "That's why the people of this world..." and me crying.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Satchel and Trunk posted:

I'm waiting for Lars to show up and to begin the great offcolor gem exodus to earth through his head.

Go FLCL and have the Cluster just explode out of his forehead ready to rock the Diamonds

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I have to say, every time they used that shot of the leg ship in front of White Diamond was absolutely hilarious.

It just looked so sassy.

If every ship assembled, could they do some Dance, Dance Revolution on that platform there?

Looking at that shot, I only just realized that Blue and Yellow also have platforms there, but they're empty because their ships were destroyed.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

TwoPair posted:

Go FLCL and have the Cluster just explode out of his forehead ready to rock the Diamonds

The ending of the show is so definitely going to be everyone on earth fusing and steven needing to have a philosophical debate inside the mental landscape of the third impact fusion

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The ending of the show is so definitely going to be everyone on earth fusing and steven needing to have a philosophical debate inside the mental landscape of the third impact fusion

no thank you

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

now throw in the fact that Adventure Time made heavy use of "dreams as foreshadowing" in later seasons and Tom Herpich's involvement in these eps...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

now throw in the fact that Adventure Time made heavy use of "dreams as foreshadowing" in later seasons and Tom Herpich's involvement in these eps...

I dunno, symbolism? Foreshadowing? That seems pretty far-fetched. I'm pretty sure what the writers are actually trying to tell the audience is this:

Don't eat hair.

Has anyone else in this thread ever eaten a big bowl of hair? It's a bad scene man.

Non-joke response: This is really interesting, thanks for posting. I wonder if there's also some hidden significance to the bubbled items dream Steven was juggling? Let's see...Chaaps are Centipeetle's favorite food, MC Bear-bear is with Lars right now, and I guess the ukulele could represent Steven's life on earth?

Maybe, Earth (the ukulele) is where Steven started, Centipeetle (chaaps) is why he went to Homeworld, and Lars (MC Bear-bear) is how he's going to get home?