Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Mr Interweb posted:

My former roomates were all Christian (I don't know the denomination), and I was surprised when they said that they were all circumcized and that that it's apparently a thing with Christians (I thought it was relegated only to Muslims and Jews). They were also all racist and bragged about how it was a good thing because only black people don't do it.
uhhhh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

drilldo squirt posted:

It's really good.

even funnier when you realize Lee and Ditko are both jews :allears:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

twistedmentat posted:

The weird stuff about the Python gay stuff was that it was 100% approved by Graham Chapman who was fairly open with his gayness at the time, and even once yelled at David Bowie for making gays look like clowns. It's like Scott Thompson and Kids in the Hall gay sketches.

Though just because a gay man 50 years ago made a joke about being gay doesn't mean its not offensive or problematic now.

A lot of Python stuff is about taking down the class system that was still pretty well entreched at the time, and they could do it because they were all from that class. Well except Gillam, but most histories of the Pythons kind of ignores him for most of it. The majority of their comedy is about how England of the late 60s and early 70s was still ruled by idiot inbread aristocrats with fancy educations but little brains.

It's really interesting seeing how the intent of a scene like that Life of Brian clip, and what parts of it are emphasized by their historical context, change over time.

The joke of the scene, in the 70s, was the infighting and sophistry of left-wing groups and how they're so obsessed with philosophical little trivialities that they miss the entire point of what they're fighting for, or the human connection of what is at stake. The "Stan wants to be a woman" thing is not the point of the scene really, it's just a convenient (and sufficiently "wacky") framework in which to have the conversation and on which to hang the jokes. But today, you watch that clip and you almost miss the entire "revolutionaries are nitpicking little beaureaucrats-in-the-making" satire because the conversation is blaring out line-by-line what a totally sincere and heartfelt argument for transgender acceptance sounds like over n-thousand 2018 holiday dinner tables.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!

They'll be so dissapointed if they ever read Roots.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Data Graham posted:

It's really interesting seeing how the intent of a scene like that Life of Brian clip, and what parts of it are emphasized by their historical context, change over time.

The joke of the scene, in the 70s, was the infighting and sophistry of left-wing groups and how they're so obsessed with philosophical little trivialities that they miss the entire point of what they're fighting for, or the human connection of what is at stake. The "Stan wants to be a woman" thing is not the point of the scene really, it's just a convenient (and sufficiently "wacky") framework in which to have the conversation and on which to hang the jokes. But today, you watch that clip and you almost miss the entire "revolutionaries are nitpicking little beaureaucrats-in-the-making" satire because the conversation is blaring out line-by-line what a totally sincere and heartfelt argument for transgender acceptance sounds like over n-thousand 2018 holiday dinner tables.

yeah it's a good thing that the left has moved on from infighting and sophistry and that revolutionaries aren't nitpicking little bureaucrats in the making any more.

now time to take a big drink of water and read any leftist discourse on the internet in tyool 2019

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

uncurable mlady posted:

yeah it's a good thing that the left has moved on from infighting and sophistry and that revolutionaries aren't nitpicking little bureaucrats in the making any more.

now time to take a big drink of water and read any leftist discourse on the internet in tyool 2019

I think you missed Data Graham's point a bit.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Oldstench posted:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A lot of people probably haven't actually watched the clip in a long time but the Judean People's Front jokes are pretty common in leftist circles for a reason.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Uncle Wemus posted:

What did gillam do

hes american

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A lot of people probably haven't actually watched the clip in a long time but the Judean People's Front jokes are pretty common in leftist circles for a reason.

I’m sure that’s common among the fringe wackos, but all of us normal people on the left make jokes about the People’s Front of Judea :smuggo:

splitters

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
yeah that peoples front of judea skit might be the most timeless thing the pythons ever did. shame the left never learned anything from it.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Lol @ left unity types itt

Have you ever dealt with MLs or maoists or even the wrong kind anarchists

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Phi230 posted:

Lol @ left unity types itt

Have you ever dealt with MLs or maoists or even the wrong kind anarchists

trots!

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Oldstench posted:

I didn’t miss it, the original joke is timeless.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I think we're all violently in agreement.

And so we neatly illustrate the point

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
didn't Cleese encourage people to graffiti a xenophobic, nativist slogan on public buildings?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

drat trots ruined leftism!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
*leftist gets called a liberal and beaten by Chud*

"Well actually im a-"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ague Proof posted:

didn't Cleese encourage people to graffiti a xenophobic, nativist slogan on public buildings?

We're building a wall to keep the Romans out, and the Romans will pay for it!

And an aqueduct!
And viticulture!
And public health!
And...

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Alan Smithee posted:

*leftist gets called a liberal and beaten by Chud*

"Well actually im a-"

Getting called a liberal is actually worse than any physical harm

Also lol at assuming you'd let yourself get beat up or your comrades would let you get beat! Maybe YOU are the lib

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I forgot to wear my black t shirt ninja

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

twistedmentat posted:

The weird stuff about the Python gay stuff was that it was 100% approved by Graham Chapman who was fairly open with his gayness at the time, and even once yelled at David Bowie for making gays look like clowns. It's like Scott Thompson and Kids in the Hall gay sketches.

Though just because a gay man 50 years ago made a joke about being gay doesn't mean its not offensive or problematic now.

A lot of Python stuff is about taking down the class system that was still pretty well entreched at the time, and they could do it because they were all from that class. Well except Gillam, but most histories of the Pythons kind of ignores him for most of it. The majority of their comedy is about how England of the late 60s and early 70s was still ruled by idiot inbread aristocrats with fancy educations but little brains.

Data Graham posted:

yeah the pythons have issues, but i think their humor still has relevent today. the silly party and mr. hilter sketches still work.

And Oliver has run himself over!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I just remembered the super bad flying circus bit where michael Palin finds himself in "china" and two of the pythons have incredibly embarrassing yellowface

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

I just remembered the super bad flying circus bit where michael Palin finds himself in "china" and two of the pythons have incredibly embarrassing yellowface

the original communist leaders/philosophers asked about soccer trivia sketch with Gilliam as Mao

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
they did skits in blackface and poo poo but who cares tbh

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Australia skit is a bit eh but maybe sadly fitting given how amazingly racist Australia is, especially towards native Australians.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Batsmen of the Kalahari doesn't hold up too well either

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Love too queue up some of my favorite classic comedy sketches on Netflix to turn on the younger generation to the timeless greats, only to find myself apologizing over and over for blackface and trans panic jokes and fast-forwarding in horror through parts that I had remembered as really funny

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Data Graham posted:

Love too queue up some of my favorite classic comedy sketches on Netflix to turn on the younger generation to the timeless greats, only to find myself apologizing over and over for blackface and trans panic jokes and fast-forwarding in horror through parts that I had remembered as really funny

no joke I never saw Delirious so I checked it out on Netflix and I had to turn it off because the first 20 minutes was nothing but "gays can't stop having sex and also have AIDS lmao"

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

mitchell and webb did blackface in like 2015 or something in conclusion the bbc was bad and remains bad, possibly getting worse

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
it’s best to simply enjoy the only Content which is never Problematic despite its age, the Holy Bible

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
i expect to see the IDW brag about how patreon dying in the next few days because of what happens at the start of every month

also enjoying them coming to terms with needing to censor speech on their new platform

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

zegermans posted:

no joke I never saw Delirious so I checked it out on Netflix and I had to turn it off because the first 20 minutes was nothing but "gays can't stop having sex and also have AIDS lmao"

you should watch raw now

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Sir Tonk posted:

you should watch raw now

just reading the summary of Raw on Wikipedia makes me :chloe:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

And uses him as a wastepaper basket! That's probably my favorite sketch.

There's also an episode with a bit about a candy company that makes gross candy including something called Crunchy Frog, which later in the episode, Eric Idle dressed as a native america is eating it and talking in cartoony Tonto speak going "Crunchy Frog, heap good!". Ugh.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
kent state gun girl's latest stunt?

https://twitter.com/CobyJOwens/status/1080340208237850624

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

lol I couldn't tell if this was libs trying to make it looks really bad or chuds trying to trigger said libs until I saw the sign

these people should be in camps and I'd love to know the identity of the guy in the diaper

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

aware of dog posted:

just reading the summary of Raw on Wikipedia makes me :chloe:

Raw has some really good stuff in it. Delirious is.....Delirious is really cringey and hasn't aged well at all.

Raw aged slightly better, but there's still some stuff that is pretty bad now.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Epic High Five posted:

I'd love to know the identity of the guy in the diaper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Yay, something I can chime in on!

My pops lives in Middletown, and yeah, it's a poo poo hole full of lovely people. The "Hummer Parade," is a white folks parade where the floats are meant to be "as politically incorrect" as possible. It's a Turning Points USA version of the Philadelphia Mummer's Parade, but with minimal control over the crass racism. They won't shout the hard -r but they really try to create a mood where it would be acceptable if one of their "volunteers" let one out.

Yeah, it's about as bad as that sounds.

Nothing negative will happen to these people. They happily mask their awful ideology behind a "it's just a joke, bro" veneer and the local news eats it up for a B page byline. It's all a "If you don't like it, don't watch it," festival of suck that lasts 30 minutes as the same 5 assholes loop around the townies.

A Bad King has issued a correction as of 21:47 on Jan 2, 2019