Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Stereotype posted:

Someone should post that “Biden been creepy video” once a day in the presidential primary thread where all mentions of him should also go.

Was he the basis for Oscar and Buster doing that sort of thing on Arrested Development?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

Are they doing the supermajority thing too? Like I said I assumed it, but I haven't read a confirmation of it or anything. If so then LOL we're hosed. A Democratic House that does that poo poo might pass some unworkable symbolic poo poo over the next two years (though I doubt they'll do even that), but there is no way they'd do the same with the Senate and the Presidency, if they have it in two years. I'm looking at this as less of a "well what can they technically still do" thing and more about where is the center of gravity of the Democratic caucus in the House: what lessons have they learned over the last two years and from this recent election. If they're doing PAYGO and a supermajority for tax increases, then the answer that is looking to be much more like "gently caress all, except maybe say some progressive-sounding poo poo every once in a while, just enough to fool people like karthun without actually doing anything."

Oh and I just remembered the climate change committee they're reconstituting has even less power than the one from ten years ago. The Democrats are a waste.

No, the supermajority thing died and there is no major legislation passing for the next two years so we might as well gently caress the rich.

pseudanonymous posted:

The problem is a bill might incidentally raise taxes in a very minor way on the bottom 80%, or function like a tax.

Buying into the whole "taxes are bad" thing is buying into Republican bullshit framing of reality. Taxes pay for needed goods and services. Yes, the rich should pay their fair share, i.e. far more than they do now, but it might also be necessary to raise taxes on everyone.

There is no situation where taxes need to be made more regressive, ie raised on everyone, when they instead could be made more progressive, ie raised on the rich. That is unless you think that we have hit the Laffer Curve and if so I need your work on a napkin.

Unoriginal Name posted:

Why not attach a RICH-FIRST rule, that requires taxes to come from the rich first if that is your priority?

Hint: its not actually their priority

How exactly do you attach a RICH-FIRST rule? What would your RICH-FIRST rule look like and how would that be better the just raising taxes on the rich and the additional money that would be raised on everyone else also on the rich because the the rich.

karthun fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Jan 2, 2019

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Pay your taxes!

https://twitter.com/JocAPhotography/status/1080217540264116224

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Inferior Third Season posted:

A lot of the "decorum centrists" aren't even into decorum at all. What they really want is a return to the old status quo so that they can go back to ignoring politics entirely.

It's this in a huge way, as well as the fact that as the prevalent message moves further and further away from one of idealized bipartisanship and fanciful Good Republicans reaching across the aisle to their respected Democratic colleagues and towards one of "the Republicans are bigot scum enabling a fresh wave of white nationalism and homegrown nazi-wannabes, also the environment is turbofucked, our healthcare sucks, and bipartisanship is a sham, give us universal health care, a better living wage, and start addressing climate issues or go gently caress yourself," the decorous centrists are increasingly getting lumped into the "if you aren't part of the solution then you're part of the problem" category. They don't just want to be able to ignore politics, they want to comfortably remain assured that they aren't bad people even as they just sort of shrug their shoulders and vote for someone who won't rock the boat too much.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

karthun posted:

No, the supermajority thing died and there is no major legislation passing for the next two years so we might as well gently caress the rich.
Well that's something, at least.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

pseudanonymous posted:

Buying into the whole "taxes are bad" thing is buying into Republican bullshit framing of reality. Taxes pay for needed goods and services. Yes, the rich should pay their fair share, i.e. far more than they do now, but it might also be necessary to raise taxes on everyone.

No. Absolutely not. There is no reason or circumstance wherein taxes need to be raised “on everyone” if we start in our current position. All of the wealth resides with a very small number of people. The bottom half in the United States control less than 5% of the wealth. What shortfall could conceivably be made up by increasing taxes for the people with no money? What would cause a situation where it would be reasonable to say, “We just can’t squeeze the money out of this 95%, but maybe we can find it down here in this 5%?”

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

No. Absolutely not. There is no reason or circumstance wherein taxes need to be raised “on everyone” if we start in our current position. All of the wealth resides with a very small number of people. The bottom half in the United States control less than 5% of the wealth. What shortfall could conceivably be made up by increasing taxes for the people with no money? What would cause a situation where it would be reasonable to say, “We just can’t squeeze the money out of this 95%, but maybe we can find it down here in this 5%?”

I agree, but saying "no, I wouldn't mind if my taxes were a bit higher, provided taxes on the wealthy were way higher," is a useful rhetorical device for shutting down idiots who open every conversation on the topic with "but your taxes will go up too! Checkmate!"

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

Translation: My father chose to vote for people who opposed ending segregation, ignored the AIDS crisis because to them homosexuals needed to be punished, deficit-spent while cutting revenue generation, started endless wars in the Middle-East, and created a giant security theater that strips our liberty, but Trump is a bridge too far. Democrats in 2020 better take note of what people like him want.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Certainly, it's not ideal, but if its a tax increase of 1$ per 1000 you make per year for Medicare for everyone, I'd take it. Is that perfect policy? No, of course not, the rich should pay their fair share. But the Democrats handcuffing themselves before the session even begins is stupid.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Boris Galerkin posted:

They’re all so old.

Schiff is only like 58, man. He's not even retirement age yet.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

logger posted:

Translation: My father chose to vote for people who opposed ending segregation, ignored the AIDS crisis because to them homosexuals needed to be punished, deficit-spent while cutting revenue generation, started endless wars in the Middle-East, and created a giant security theater that strips our liberty, but Trump is a bridge too far. Democrats in 2020 better take note of what people like him want.

Alternate translation: I was sitting in a hipster coffee shop and I overheard my uncle who works for Nintendo say,

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

cheetah7071 posted:

who would even vote for a proven loser in the primary though

Nixon was a super loser (lost a POTUS election and California governor) before he won two terms as President, y'all too tied up in this media horse race poo poo or I'm being wooshed

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
So what about this Inslee guy who just announced for 2020? On the one hand he has a focus on global warming, which is good, but his solutions appear to be the usual corporatist garbage. Any other opinions worth knowing?

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

karthun posted:

How exactly do you attach a RICH-FIRST rule? What would your RICH-FIRST rule look like and how would that be better the just raising taxes on the rich and the additional money that would be raised on everyone else also on the rich because the the rich.]

How about a CAPITAL-GO rule where every program budgeted with income tax must also come with an equivalent percentage from capital gains?

Why not a HEALTH-NEEDS program that requires that any spending reduction comes with an equivalent increase in Medicare coverage until every American is covered?

If you are going to create stupid loving rules, why predicate them on Republican ideals

Unoriginal Name fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Jan 2, 2019

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Failed Imagineer posted:

So what about this Inslee guy who just announced for 2020? On the one hand he has a focus on global warming, which is good, but his solutions appear to be the usual corporatist garbage. Any other opinions worth knowing?

Jay Inslee announced? When did he do that?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Failed Imagineer posted:

As a Washingtonian I have very little opinion of him. He seems like he's done mostly good things, but he's not a huge firebrand or anything. He was aggressive in suing over the travel ban, but it's hard to know if that was genuine or calculated.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Failed Imagineer posted:

I'm going to save you some time here.

Step 1) Is he for destroying capitalism root and branch? If no, then about 40% of the thread hates him.
Step 2) Does his last name rhyme with "Ganders?" If no, then another 30% or so of the thread hates him.

So about 70% of the responses you're gonna get to just about, well, anyone is going to be a torrent of hatred. :) As for Inslee specifically I can't say I'm particularly thrilled with him. It's good that people are running who are focusing on the climate, but his solutions are nothing remarkable, and he ran pretty much dead even with Hillary in '16 and a few points behind Obama in '12 in Washington so he's not even really super great at winning voters. He's probably not gonna go anywhere, but hey, in a year like this, every 50 and 60-some governor and senator's probably thinking it's their best shot.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

What would cause a situation where it would be reasonable to say, “We just can’t squeeze the money out of this 95%, but maybe we can find it down here in this 5%?”

Taxes as a deterant. You still should be funneling that money back to the poor though.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Hangover Day 2: I want to die.

On the flipside. I have good feelings towards this new Hell Year. Fancy, Solaris, Axeii, and I did our part for the electoral bloodshed in November and indeed to continue said slaughter in DMV state politics this year. If you have a state or local election this year, consider volunteering to canvass, phone bank, or do GOTV. State Politics is supremely important to start combatting power companies that are going to kill us all with climate change. Also, you get your progressives into state office and they can fill our Space Commie bench in the future!

Here is to 2019, you filthy animals! Love ya all.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Inferior Third Season posted:

A lot of the "decorum centrists" aren't even into decorum at all. What they really want is a return to the old status quo so that they can go back to ignoring politics entirely. They think politics is like sports or TV or books - a hobby that most people have only a cursory knowledge about and they get to feel superior to loser nerds who are way too into that kind of poo poo because they're so busy with real world problems like picking up little Bobby from karate practice.

They're particularly susceptible to supporting lovely policies, so long as the effects are completely invisible to them. Nobody "feels" a tax cut for corporations, so they're okay. But they see poor people using food stamps, and they sometimes buy things that are not rice and beans, so that's a waste of taxpayer money. Global warming is also too abstract and big to waste effort on.

"Make government boring again" would be a disturbingly effective slogan against Trump.

Hopefully we're largely past the point at which it would be an effective slogan in the Democratic primary.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Unoriginal Name posted:

Repeal the Trump tax cuts and you can pay for anything. Its still an asinine rule that puts Republican "Deficit spending is bad!!" messaging ahead of the content ahead of any bill

Deficit spending in times of plenty is a pretty solid thing to be doing, especially if you ascribe to Keynesian Economic Thought.

One thing that really needs to be done is to successfully and publicly call bullshit in the Republicans when they start predictably wailing about deficits again.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Taerkar posted:

One thing that really needs to be done is to successfully and publicly call bullshit in the Republicans when they start predictably wailing about deficits again.

I feel like this myth is another thing millennials will ruin considering many of us are drowning in debt.

"Oh no, how can we spend any money when we're so deep in this hole? Welcome to my every waking moment motherfucker."

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/IlhanMN/status/1079544775370510337
Lol I loving love these women. Preach sista!

https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1079855554477072384

friendbot2000 fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jan 2, 2019

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
AND WE'RE OFF!

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1080447092882112512

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Skippy McPants posted:

I feel like this myth is another thing millennials will ruin considering many of us are drowning in debt.

"Oh no, how can we spend any money when we're so deep in this hole? Welcome to my every waking moment motherfucker."

It is something that appeals so strongly to the "Self-Made Successful Boomer" mentality.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Unless he's referring to Romney's 2012 bid (I can never tell), he's of course lying again...didn't Romney win the Senate race by, like, a lot?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Honestly more restrained than I thought.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

VanSandman posted:

What do you want to bet it's only the first of many, though.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
https://twitter.com/brookefoxnews/status/1080450273368334336?s=19

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Taerkar posted:

It is something that appeals so strongly to the "Self-Made Successful Boomer" mentality.

And yet they squeal whenever Millennials don't take on 10x their income in mortgage debt.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Crabtree posted:

RGB exercises more than most people ever have and lives on to spite the vile whites of this country. Some 87 Trump voting gently caress likely guzzles down deep fried swill from Bojangles/Country Kitchen, screams every day about how the liberals aren't angry enough/not happy about something Trump's doing and they're so dang mean about it, sitting on their rear end 24/7.

I've never seen a more :ironicat: pot/kettle post in my entire life. Frame it and hang it on the wall.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

You just KNOW this is because he wants to look big and strong and important and Not Mad.

Also LOL if it's another one of those meetings that involves no Democrats.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Whitlam posted:

What do you want to bet it's only the first of many, though.

He didn't even use the word loser

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

They need to determine wall funding with a magic the gathering tournament

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

VanSandman posted:

...for now. Will Romney kiss the ring again while flipping it’s bearer off?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I really wish I knew enough about Magic: The Gathering to make a joke here, but all I know is that everyone in my circle of friends and acquaintances who plays it is a loving weirdo about it.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

I voted for Jay Inslee for WA governor he's pretty bland but he supports the $15 min wage and radical climate change I guess. If he gets on board for AOC's Green New Deal and M4A I might vote for him again.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

There's no way Trump would be able to figure out even the most basic rules of how to play Magic, let alone anything even remotely complex.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

King of Solomon posted:

There's no way Trump would be able to figure out even the most basic rules of how to play Magic, let alone anything even remotely complex.

Honestly, same, I have tried to play not a ton of times, but a few, and I still don't know how blocking works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Nope. Nope nope nope. Not today thread.