Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wheat Loaf posted:

One interesting one is the soundtrack to The Last Action Hero because it's like the last gasp of 80s hard rock. The biggest hit single from it was a Def Leppard song.

I recently rewatched some Todd In the Shadows videos from a couple of years ago and in one of them he mentioned that grunge didn't just clear out hair metal; it also did away with a lot (not all - R.E.M. survived and thrived - but a lot) of pre-grunge alternative rock.

I really like Todd's shows, even when he's ranting about Chris Brown for the sixth time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Randaconda posted:

I really like Todd's shows, even when he's ranting about Chris Brown for the sixth time.

I like his One Hit Wonder shows and his newer one about albums that killed bands' careers but I don't really follow his pop song reviews because I don't listen to as much Top 40 music as I used to.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wheat Loaf posted:

I like his One Hit Wonder shows and his newer one about albums that killed bands' careers but I don't really follow his pop song reviews because I don't listen to as much Top 40 music as I used to.

Trainwreckords owns, especially the CCR episode

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Randaconda posted:

Romeo + Juliette was loving terrible

twistedmentat posted:

Romeo + Juliette.

I don’t understand how someone could spell Juliet wrong, let alone two of you.

The play has been around for 400 years, we all had to suffer through it in high school.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

wow

such britnay

such spier

wow

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Sir Lemming posted:

wow

such britnay

such spier

wow
Some of these things make me feel like my esophagus is trying to tear itself away and time travel.

All the packaging on that thing does this. So late 90s.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
I feel like nobody was ever coolin', especially not like Britney at least.

eminkey2003
Oct 11, 2009

There was a bit of a 60's revival in the 90s.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Randaconda posted:

His research is good. I started listening to the early Oasis albums again because of him. The third album does suck.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mu Zeta posted:

His research is good. I started listening to the early Oasis albums again because of him. The third album does suck.

His video on that one really made it feel like the Gallagher brothers were the last rock musicians who really felt like rock stars. You know, swaggering about talking poo poo about people but then backing it up with their music (for their first two albums - I could listen to Definitely Maybe and (What's the Story) Morning Glory on a loop for a week, cliche as it is to say so). For the past 20 years or so, the biggest rock stars have all been in hip-hop and I'm specifically talking about Kanye West (which is probably another cliche to indulge). :v:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I never really agreed with the rock star part. I guess that stuff happened off stage in the UK, but in the US all we saw were really boring live performances where a bunch of balding dudes would just stand there while playing. Nobody here cared about their private lives. The one live album they released sucks IMO.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Everyone cared

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Randaconda posted:

Romeo + Juliette was loving terrible

Outside of Lovefool being the most overplayed song for a year, the rest of it is at least interesting choice of music.

Shrapnig posted:

I don’t understand how someone could spell Juliet wrong, let alone two of you.

The play has been around for 400 years, we all had to suffer through it in high school.

My moms name is Juliette. With two t's.

Wheat Loaf posted:

One interesting one is the soundtrack to The Last Action Hero because it's like the last gasp of 80s hard rock. The biggest hit single from it was a Def Leppard song.

I recently rewatched some Todd In the Shadows videos from a couple of years ago and in one of them he mentioned that grunge didn't just clear out hair metal; it also did away with a lot (not all - R.E.M. survived and thrived - but a lot) of pre-grunge alternative rock.

I figured they transitioned to College Rock, like Spin Doctors and uh, um, I can't think of anyone else, but I'm sure somene can come up with something else.

Wheat Loaf posted:

This sounds fascinating, where do i see these?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

twistedmentat posted:

This sounds fascinating, where do i see these?

They're all on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaTSjmqzOO-P8HmtVW3t7sA.

Some of these go all the way back to 2009 so you can watch him reviewing stuff like "Party In the USA" and "Tik Tok" when they were new.

Wheat Loaf has a new favorite as of 23:12 on Jan 1, 2019

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wheat Loaf posted:

They're all on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaTSjmqzOO-P8HmtVW3t7sA.

Some of these go all the way back to 2009 so you can watch him reviewing stuff like "Party In the USA" and "Tik Tok" when they were new.

His turnaround on K$sha after she got away from her pervy producer was pretty interesting

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Randaconda posted:

His turnaround on K$sha after she got away from her pervy producer was pretty interesting

I think it was before that - he didn't have much nice to say about her first few singles like "Tik Tok" and "We R Who We R" but I think he changed his mind when she did the Warrior album and the "Die Young" single, which he put in his top 10 for the year it came out. Similar to how he didn't like "Call Me Maybe" or "Good Times" but has spoken quite highly of everything else Carly Rae Jepsen has done since.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think it was before that - he didn't have much nice to say about her first few singles like "Tik Tok" and "We R Who We R" but I think he changed his mind when she did the Warrior album and the "Die Young" single, which he put in his top 10 for the year it came out. Similar to how he didn't like "Call Me Maybe" or "Good Times" but has spoken quite highly of everything else Carly Rae Jepsen has done since.

Carly Rae Jepsen did a pretty decent cover of The King Of Wishful Thinking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XnWSRi5Jsk

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Wheat Loaf posted:

Cool. Oh wait, I've seen those suggested, but I've never watched them.

I just fell down the Defunctland hole and am trying to get through their stuff. That's pretty 90s too, I remember going to Busch Gardens in the 90s and going on both the Big Bad Wolf and the Drachenfire. I remember that trip, not only because it was the first time I was brave enough to go on an coaster with upside down parts, and also because i kept seeing those giant shorts that go about mid shin. They were everywhere. It wasn't just kids and teens wearing them, it was adults too. One guy and his 3 sons were all wearing them as if it was some kind of uniform.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

twistedmentat posted:

I just fell down the Defunctland hole and am trying to get through their stuff. That's pretty 90s too, I remember going to Busch Gardens in the 90s and going on both the Big Bad Wolf and the Drachenfire. I remember that trip, not only because it was the first time I was brave enough to go on an coaster with upside down parts, and also because i kept seeing those giant shorts that go about mid shin. They were everywhere. It wasn't just kids and teens wearing them, it was adults too. One guy and his 3 sons were all wearing them as if it was some kind of uniform.

Busch Gardens was a good time in the 90s. Shame they quit with the beer.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Randaconda posted:

Busch Gardens was a good time in the 90s. Shame they quit with the beer.

There is an episode about Action Parks, and it sounds like booze and parks does not mix. Related, Jenny Nicholson has an video about the Avatar Disney park, which she kind of loves because of how terrible it is, and I was surprised she could get a rum slushy there. Since when could you get hard liqour at disney parks? Also I didn't know she was 21.

Oh! Todd in the shadows is one of the refugees from Channel Awesome. I knew the name was familiar.

twistedmentat has a new favorite as of 03:02 on Jan 2, 2019

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think it was before that - he didn't have much nice to say about her first few singles like "Tik Tok" and "We R Who We R" but I think he changed his mind when she did the Warrior album and the "Die Young" single, which he put in his top 10 for the year it came out. Similar to how he didn't like "Call Me Maybe" or "Good Time" but has spoken quite highly of everything else Carly Rae Jepsen has done since.

Didn't like "Good Time"? Todd put it on the Honourable Mentions for his Best of 2012 list. What he didn't like about that song was Adam "Owl City" Young invoking Prince at the beginning of the song, because Todd didn't think AY was worthy enough of that comparison.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I feel really bad for the lovely things I said about Kesha when she first came out after finding out the hell she was put through. Though at the same time i did find her stuff kind of fun. So there's that.

Okay been watching the Todd one his wonder videos and watching the Snow one and holy poo poo, I did not know that that beyond the brutal parody of informer, that they basically wanted to seal him in a drum and throw him off the pier for being what they saw as a ministral show. The thing is, Snow was lame when it came out, and the second video Todd shows with the girls in the snow, that video was shown like 3 times on MuchMusic then it was pulled for being terrible. It was replaced by another video for the song that basically was just a generic guy in front a a bunch of dancers.

I am very disappointed by Groove Is In The Heart blocked in Canada. Though its more 80s, there used to be a fantastic radio show on sunday nights here called the Spirit of the Edge that played a lot of alternative 80s and 90s pop and electronic music and I knew i'd heard Tomas Dolbey's Submarines song. This is a really good channel and I'm just binging the One Hit Wonder stuff right now, first going through the stuff i like/interested in, but i'll go back and watch the videos about other stuff later.

Carly Rae Jepsen is like the nicest person i've ever met that was a celeb, though Drake didn't have to go downstairs to meet a mobility challanged fan, so its possible he would have done that, but Jepson did that, even though she wasn't supposed to leave the upstairs part of the store for insurance reasons. She was also really pretty but they really caked on makeup to make her look younger at the time. Can't have those 27 year old crows feet showing there grandma.

EDIT: Watching the one on EMF, I had no idea that Ebenezer Goode was actually E. but like, in Canada in the 90s how the gently caress would you have context for that? Man, his pointing out that Nirvana comes out and that changed everything so quickly. He says it wasn't over night but honestly, it kinda was. The first day I saw Smells Like Teen spirit I went looking through my and my dads closet and found plaid shirts and wore it to school the next day, and i was not alone. Like there was one guy who i always remember being one of those slicked back hair, ball cap style, he got rid of the gel and hat and started letting his hair grow out.

twistedmentat has a new favorite as of 05:20 on Jan 2, 2019

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

twistedmentat posted:

There is an episode about Action Parks, and it sounds like booze and parks does not mix. Related, Jenny Nicholson has an video about the Avatar Disney park, which she kind of loves because of how terrible it is, and I was surprised she could get a rum slushy there. Since when could you get hard liqour at disney parks?

Since Epcot at least. Proper Magic Kingdom has historically only been dry parks, but every park since then (at least in the continental US) have had three pillars: Ticket Sales, Merchandise, and a gently caress ton of Booze. Infact, they kinda reversed the policy with Magic Kingdom in 2012, though exclusively in the brand new Beauty and the Beast restaurant. And since that was a success, they've branched out Drink sales to every single proper table service restaurant in the last year.

Even Disneyland itself is going to start selling hard drinks when Star Wars Land opens later this year.

Of course this is ignoring the entire history of Club 33, where club members coul-:fuckoff:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Since Epcot at least. Proper Magic Kingdom has historically only been dry parks, but every park since then (at least in the continental US) have had three pillars: Ticket Sales, Merchandise, and a gently caress ton of Booze. Infact, they kinda reversed the policy with Magic Kingdom in 2012, though exclusively in the brand new Beauty and the Beast restaurant. And since that was a success, they've branched out Drink sales to every single proper table service restaurant in the last year.

Even Disneyland itself is going to start selling hard drinks when Star Wars Land opens later this year.

Of course this is ignoring the entire history of Club 33, where club members coul-:fuckoff:

That's cool. A lot of youtubers and podcasters i follow are all obsessed with Disney parks, and I've only been there once when I was really little. So I don't really have any reference for their enthusiasm. I haven't been on a vacation since the late 90s, when I turned 18 and could not longer travel on my parents insurance.

Club 33 just sounds really sinister. Like more so than like the Bilderburgs or something.

I've spend the last 4 hours watching the One Hit wonder episodes. The one about Crazytown was pretty funny, just how much Todd hated rap metal, which is the single worst genre of music that was popular. Its worse than New Country.

twistedmentat has a new favorite as of 08:48 on Jan 2, 2019

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I went to Disneyland a few times as a kid and from what I recall it was always a good time and the lines weren't too crazy. What I did hate was Universal Studios in Los Angeles because there was nothing to do. In the span of 5 hours I think I went on the Jurassic Park ride and the Back to the Future ride at least 4 times each. Then I was bored.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Mu Zeta posted:

I went to Disneyland a few times as a kid and from what I recall it was always a good time and the lines weren't too crazy. What I did hate was Universal Studios in Los Angeles because there was nothing to do. In the span of 5 hours I think I went on the Jurassic Park ride and the Back to the Future ride at least 4 times each. Then I was bored.

i always wanted to go there, but I'm pretty sure I can make one guess why my dad never wanted to go to LA in the 80s or 90s.

DC was safer I guess?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I was at Disneyland and Universal Hollywood in October. Disneyland has some attractions that are so much more awesome than their technological counterparts in Florida that I want them instead (Radiator Springs Racers and Indiana Jones) and a good number of its own unique rides that are still worthwhile, along with a few that are completely identical like Soarin'. The two biggest things I noticed about Disneyland is how incredibly tiny the original park is and how awful the other guests are. Especially the kids. I've been going to WDW since I was 3 and I've never seen more ill-behaved kids with less attentive families than at Disneyland. Just about every queue was filled with screaming, fighting, or both.

Downtown Disney is also blown out of the water completely by Disney Springs. It's much smaller than Disney Springs and hasn't seen anywhere close to the renovations Florida has had, so you've still got a fairly limited choice of shops and restaurants and the restaurants are easily beaten by ones out in the city. In general, the inability of the park to expand due to development outside its borders makes everything feel much more cramped and you're liable to be done with the place after a few days, whereas WDW can take weeks to experience everything there is.

Universal Hollywood has a small handful of attractions that are different from Orlando, including Waterworld, which is the best stunt show running on the planet right now. Others, like Jurassic Park and Transformers, are identical to Orlando and can safely be skipped if you're a local. However, their HHN was abysmal. It has none of the budget that Orlando does and the houses are bright, the rooms are big and empty, and about half of each house just consists of black plywood hallways. Even small local haunts easily beat HHN Hollywood in terms of scares and set design. Don't even waste your money on it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I often wonder what it was about translucent plastics that enthralled us so much in the 90's, there was tons of it everywhere.

twistedmentat posted:

I have relatives in the area, so we went on "vacation" there a bunch in the 90's. One day at Busch Gardens Williamsburg, and 9 days in one of my grandparents' spare rooms.

Dracken Fire was the worst ride ever.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Iron Crowned posted:

I often wonder what it was about translucent plastics that enthralled us so much in the 90's, there was tons of it everywhere.

I have relatives in the area, so we went on "vacation" there a bunch in the 90's. One day at Busch Gardens Williamsburg, and 9 days in one of my grandparents' spare rooms.

Dracken Fire was the worst ride ever.

I forgot there was another Busch Gardens

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Randaconda posted:

I forgot there was another Busch Gardens

Even as a kid, the fact the Florida one was called "the Dark Continent" felt off. Now its straight up racist.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I've never been to the one in Florida because the two times we went to Florida, that was for Disney and Universal. One time we did see a space shuttle launch, that was cool.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Iron Crowned posted:

I've never been to the one in Florida because the two times we went to Florida, that was for Disney and Universal. One time we did see a space shuttle launch, that was cool.

If you are already in or close to Tampa, it can be worth a visit. I can't imagine anyone going to Tampa just for BG. 1 1/2 hours drive time one way, in lovely traffic.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

twistedmentat posted:

Club 33 just sounds really sinister. Like more so than like the Bilderburgs or something.

Club 33 is a lot more hype and rumors than it actually deserves. It's purpose was literally just an extra lounge inside the parks for sponsors, investors, and partners who helped build Disneyland. The only things that are going on up there is drinks (hard liquor), dining, and conversation. Especially as of late, as the ability to get in has only gotten looser and looser. Hell, I've heard stories that if you work at a sponsor for one of the parks, you could just ask HR and it's no problem getting a reservation.

It's no more sinister than the Blue Bayou restaurant just below it (especially since they both share the same kitchen), only more exclusive and more expensive than anything else at Disneyland. Hell, they even got their own souvenir store that you can buy pins, hats, and plates at.

Speaking of Disney Parks, here's some content.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IDyStZBntM

And this wasn't in the parks, but you have to suffer with me. Here's Elton John being a proto-furry (In the 90's!).

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brD1lq7kvy4&t=440s

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

chitoryu12 posted:

Universal Hollywood has a small handful of attractions that are different from Orlando, including Waterworld, which is the best stunt show running on the planet right now. Others, like Jurassic Park and Transformers, are identical to Orlando and can safely be skipped if you're a local. However, their HHN was abysmal. It has none of the budget that Orlando does and the houses are bright, the rooms are big and empty, and about half of each house just consists of black plywood hallways. Even small local haunts easily beat HHN Hollywood in terms of scares and set design. Don't even waste your money on it.

I go to Orlando's HHN every year and it's really amazing how much more detailed and intense the Orlando houses are. You would think with Universal Studios Hollywood being literally IN Hollywood, IN an actual huge movie studio, it would have the means to blow everything else away. But instead the houses are very tame and lazy. The Orlando houses, by comparison, are an absolute assault on your senses and are properly trippy and disorienting.

Aside from the actual studio tram tour in Hollywood, Universal Orlando blows Hollywood away. It is more comparable to Disneyland in scope and scale: two theme parks, a shopping/dining/nightlife district, hotels, and now a water park. They just acquired enough land to double their property and have a new theme park in the works, with a goal of completion in 2023 or 2024.

twistedmentat posted:

Even as a kid, the fact the Florida one was called "the Dark Continent" felt off. Now its straight up racist.

It is officially just called "Busch Gardens Tampa" now, and sometimes referred to as "Busch Gardens Africa." It's an okay park, but if you're taking an Orlando vacation I wouldn't bother to make the hour and a half drive to Tampa for it. It's my least favorite of the big Florida theme parks.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Can’t mention weird Disney things in the 90’s without this childhood fever dream: Mother Goose Rock and Rhyme! https://youtu.be/fs-MqMELk40

Bonus: Disney music, Cousin Balki, and 90’s ice skaters!? https://youtu.be/5V16CumjmEA

Another bonus / I watched this whole thing, now you have to too: lovely children scream about Barbie in EPCOT! https://youtu.be/Uo28D8R9hIs

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Rahonavis posted:

Can’t mention weird Disney things in the 90’s without this childhood fever dream: Mother Goose Rock and Rhyme! https://youtu.be/fs-MqMELk40

I found this recently and until then, I spent most of my life unsure of if it really existed or actually was some fever dream I had! It's... so bizarre. I remember that the fact that you actually see Humpty Dumpty fall and crack into pieces disturbed 5 year old me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Disney Adventures was pretty drat '90s as well.

25 Very '90s "Disney Adventures" Magazine Covers

Some samples: