Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I mean, it explains why he's suddenly more kill happy and violent instead of actually manipulative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Nodosaur posted:

I mean, it explains why he's suddenly more kill happy and violent instead of actually manipulative.

You’re talking about a guy who stabbed his brother as a prank. Asgardians have a different approach to violence, really.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

either way he took a hard swerve to angry demagogue from an emotional teen who wanted daddy to acknowledge him that didn't feel wholly natural.

Gaebril
Dec 18, 2016
That wasn't violent, that was my brother!

A Loki that willfully harms innocents is not quite consistent with his depiction in the other movies, and it certainly won't be consistent with their new streaming series.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Nodosaur posted:

either way he took a hard swerve to angry demagogue from an emotional teen who wanted daddy to acknowledge him that didn't feel wholly natural.

I mean...okay, seriously, by the end of Thor Loki was literally trying to destroy an entire realm and commit genocide. Honestly, wanting to rule Earth is a bit of a step back.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Phylodox posted:

I mean...okay, seriously, by the end of Thor Loki was literally trying to destroy an entire realm and commit genocide. Honestly, wanting to rule Earth is a bit of a step back.

A realm of monsters that his people had been at war with for centuries, not excusable but not exactly genocidal

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
The reason it's a dumb retcon is because nobody cared. It's some JK Rowlinging. Loki went from trying to take over the Earth to his mom dying in Thor 2. I feel like most people kept up with how the character was able to make the change from 1 movie to the next considering the circumstances. I think it's safe to say the character is very popular. So why add mind control? Why completely take all of his responsibility for Avengers away? To please some 1 nerd on Earth who felt there was some character inconsistency? It just rubs me the wrong way. Loki did some bad poo poo. He got several beatings and talking tos. He died trying to do the right thing even understanding the cost. That moment is brilliant without adding "and also some of the bad stuff wasn't his fault."

Plus while I like supplementary material, I never enjoy when Word of God tries to alter the events of the media without using anything that actually happened in that media. Like we were given 0 indication that Thanos was doing anything to Loki across several films and 6 years.

Agent_grey
Jan 8, 2007

Scrub-a-Dub-Dub!
Aquaman was fun, but my favourite part was the secret Uncharted movie right in the middle of it.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Phylodox posted:

You’re talking about a guy who stabbed his brother as a prank. Asgardians have a different approach to violence, really.

that snake story is really funny

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I just hope there's an entire episode of Loki based around Get Help.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Agreed with all of this.

Chickenwalker posted:

I can't tell if I'm reading too much into it to think it's jormungandr reference.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Chickenwalker posted:

I can't tell if Loki's smile was acting or Hiddleston breaking down and it makes it even funnier

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

So Infinity War question.

Groot used his own arm to help finish Stormbreaker but was also snapped away. Also any of his branches can regrow him. Does this mean either a) Stormbreaker has no handle or b) they can just get a new Groot from breaking off a piece of the handle?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

each new Groot is a new being in the movie continuity, so it'd still mean Groot 2 was dead.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Retro Futurist posted:

A realm of monsters that his people had been at war with for centuries, not excusable but not exactly genocidal

It’s still genocide, even if you’re at war with them. And they were his people. And he murdered his own father.

By the end of the first film, Loki is basically completely demented by his shame, self-loathing, and feelings of betrayal.

And he even says to Thor, “I never wanted to be king! I only wanted to be your equal!” Well, if he rules over Midgard that would put them on even footing. Plus it would hurt Thor.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.

Phylodox posted:

And he even says to Thor, “I never wanted to be king! I only wanted to be your equal!” Well, if he rules over Midgard that would put them on even footing. Plus it would hurt Thor.

That's daddy issues(sibling issues?), not ruling issues

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The Avengers kinda had Cap directly compare Loki to Hitler so maybe that was a bit much. I do wonder if time travel shenanigans might bring Loki back in Endgame.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
Wasn't that the old man who stood up to him?

That was cheesy as gently caress but I love little moments like these.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Samuringa posted:

That was cheesy as gently caress but I love little moments like these.

No, the old man just says he won’t kneel to a man like Loki. Loki responds “There are no men like me” and oldie says “There are always men like you.”

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Aquaman is fun. Writing is eh, but the leads had good chemistry and the movie looked amazing.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Samuringa posted:

Cap says "the last time I was in Germany and saw a man standing above everybody else, we ended up disagreeing"

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Agent_grey posted:

my favourite part was the secret Uncharted movie right in the middle of it.

Same. The set piece in Italy was the highlight of the film for me. It easily has some of the best action in a superhero movie in both execution and creativity.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Phylodox posted:

It’s still genocide, even if you’re at war with them. And they were his people. And he murdered his own father.

By the end of the first film, Loki is basically completely demented by his shame, self-loathing, and feelings of betrayal.

To be fair, his birth father tried to murder him first.

I don't see what the big deal is about this retcon, honestly. The mind stone subtly influencing Loki to exaggerate his worst characteristics is not outside the realm of plausibility. Superboy Prime this ain't.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Captain Oblivious posted:

To be fair, his birth father tried to murder him first.

I don't see what the big deal is about this retcon, honestly. The mind stone subtly influencing Loki to exaggerate his worst characteristics is not outside the realm of plausibility. Superboy Prime this ain't.

I didn’t say it’s implausible, I said it was unnecessary. Loki had already gone off the deep end of supervillainy by the end of Thor. Nothing he does in The Avengers is really inconsistent with what we’ve seen. It’s only in later movies that he’s able to dial it back down to assholish mischief.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

It's not a big deal, but it also kind of cheapens his quasi redemption and even Thor's continued acceptance of him. Instead some character being shown by both, it's "mind control, my bad" "oh that's ok then".

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I don't think they mean full on mind control there, either. More just a subtle nudging, which we saw it do to everyone on the helicarrier in Avengers (the big argument, not full control like Clint) so it's not that far outside the realm of possibility.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Retro Futurist posted:

it's not that far outside the realm of possibility.

Phylodox posted:

I didn’t say it’s implausible, I said it was unnecessary.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
And the staff influencing the Avengers wasn’t just some incidental effect. It was deliberate on Loki’s part. It was instrumental to his plan.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

In fairness, the staff retcon at least helps to explain why Thanos would gamble one stone to get a second stone. It makes a certain amount of sense, but the retcon helps make it more sense.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Especially since, at the time, most of the stones were on Earth, IIRC.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

Especially since, at the time, most of the stones were on Earth, IIRC.

Kinda.

Time and Space were on Earth, Power and Soul were off in space, and Thanos had the Mind Stone. Reality wasn't really anywhere at that point, and while I suspect the way it appeared meant it could have popped up in a lot of different places it was found on Earth.

Have they ever talked about how Thanos got the Mind Stone in the first place?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
If, for some reason, you wanted to experience Into The Spider-Verse without all that pesky animation, Sony put the whole script online.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

I saw Aquaman. It's a movie that tries to be everything at once, and somehow it succeeds?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Spider-Verse: Often I find it hard to get into a movie's music without seeing it in the movie but this Spider-verse soundtrack is just loving awesome.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Spider-verse script now available:

https://twitter.com/rodneyrothman/status/1079057234959556608?s=21

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Something I haven't seen anyone mention of Aquaman yet is how mythologically-adept it is. Far moreso than Thor or Wonder Woman. Not exactly in terms of specific details, but in terms of theme and inspiration.

Right off the bat the Tom Curry/Atlanna romance evokes the animal bride global folklore motif where some rando mortal man encounters and falls in love with a supernatural woman -- sometimes a swan maiden or a selkie, or any combo of shapechanging yokai like a fox or crane or even snake, or even a celestial maiden -- and she bears him a child but ultimately, in all variations, ends up having to leave him to return to her supernatural world. I mean, the motif is right there in the Aquaman source material (and just goes to show how comic books are, broadly, modern mythological canon), but it's usually not given a great deal of focus (in the entirety of post-Crisis, Arthur isn't even Tom's biological son). This movie, on the other hand, really stresses the Curry family relationship, and so the mythological inspiration is made clearer for it.

People will probably look at Mera's design and think "mermaid" and "Ariel," which is understandable, but she actually evokes a Nereid nymph -- literally being the daughter of King Nereus, who is the father of all Nereids in mythology -- and specifically Nereus' daughter Amphitrite, who marries the next ruler of the seas, Poseidon, who was in fact not a native sea god but actually came from the land and was more known, in antiquity, as a horse god.

And even then, Arthur's own thematic design has less to do with Poseidon and more to do with his and Amphitrite's son Triton, who's depicted as a rough-bearded merman who rides around on seahorses and calls other sea creatures to his retinue with his shell conch. Again, the thematic connections had always been there with this character, but is especially pronounced in this depiction of Aquaman as Jason Momoa: a wilder, more feral oceanic entity instead of the clean-cut Arthurian king. By contrast, Orm actually looks and acts more like how the silver age Aquaman might appear onscreen.

And none of that is even touching on the actual Arthurian motifs of the story which get pretty hogwild as well.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
So, for whatever reason, I watched part of Justice League the other night and... Aquaman just straight up ignores most of what happens there, yeah?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Soonmot posted:

So, for whatever reason, I watched part of Justice League the other night and... Aquaman just straight up ignores most of what happens there, yeah?

How so? They don't generally seem to really have any story connections so there's nothing to really ignore

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Wouldn't the multiple attempted alien invasions that the humans (and superman) stopped kinda put a dent in Water-Loki's arguments against the surface world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I don't think he watches much CNN