Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

exploded mummy posted:

not really, wizards tracks that number for production purposes

someone knew they were going to hit card #1488 in that expansion set and likely fixed the order of some cards to get to that point

it also isnt strictly alphabetical order either (it's broken down by color first), so getting the target on it being 1488 is probably less harder than your think

Those first few sets were literally dudes taking their D&D campaigns and just making cards out of characters in them. So it's pretty easy to assume some dude thought he was funny in 1993 and named that card to fit in that slot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Radish posted:

The Romney clan is characterized by their gutless and craven subservience to power. They have no self respect if it means following an authoritarian that will abuse their enemies and enrich themselves.

I'm not looking forward to at least two years of our idiot DC presscorp acting surprised when Romney votes along with Trump on every vote.

I didn't even realize Mitt was Ronna McDaniel's uncle, holy poo poo :laffo: gonna be an awkward family reunion

(I knew they had to be related but I figured that it was like a second cousin twice-removed type thing)

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

It seems appropriate that something is literally turning to poo poo because of Trump.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Jesus christ, it's a blue card, too.

It's a blue card with what should be a black card's name.

KillHour posted:

I'm not sure what you mean by that, but it's very apropos for blue's "flavor."

https://mtg.gamepedia.com/Color

the ability is blue, but not the name

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jan 2, 2019

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm not sure what you mean by that, but it's very apropos for blue's "flavor."

https://mtg.gamepedia.com/Color

exploded mummy posted:

Black is allied with blue and I would argue blue cares more about "purity" and would totally go full Nazi.

"Blue is the color that wants perfection and looks on the world and sees opportunity to achieve that, figuring out what you could achieve with the right education, experience, and tools." :godwin:

KillHour fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jan 2, 2019

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

I hate like, 90% of my family but even I can't imagine changing my last name and pretending I don't know them to attack them for making the most tepid 'rebuke' of the dumbest american neo-nazi.

It's almost impressive, tbh.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Hey, I play straight blue and that actually makes sense, what with the thematic mind manipulation, and bending the rules of the game and all. I didn't realize we had so many MTG nerds in here!
:goonsay:

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

I didn't even realize Mitt was Ronna McDaniel's uncle, holy poo poo :laffo: gonna be an awkward family reunion

I don't think they care about this poo poo at all behind closed doors. It's all theatre.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

exploded mummy posted:

the ability is blue, but not the name

Yeah, the implication of making it a blue card is that prejudice is smart and intellectual (rather than, say, if it were Black).

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

These grifters just can't help themselves

Top Pentagon Spokeswoman resigns over misconduct investigations into having employees run errands for her and drive her around in a snowstorm

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Those first few sets were literally dudes taking their D&D campaigns and just making cards out of characters in them. So it's pretty easy to assume some dude thought he was funny in 1993 and named that card to fit in that slot

this was a card in Legends, so your time frame isnt quite right

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

I don't think they care about this poo poo at all behind closed doors. It's all theatre.

In fact, she's probably totally disingenuous. Tweeting about it draws more attention to it, while simultaneously signaling to strong daddy that she supports him. But in fact, her goal may very well be to draw attention to the fact that there's a new concerned Republican who is "mature" and "statesmanlike"

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

friendbot2000 posted:

These grifters just can't help themselves

Top Pentagon Spokeswoman resigns over misconduct investigations into having employees run errands for her and drive her around in a snowstorm

haha i like the angle of "I'm just stepping down because of Mattis" - it's good cover to quit before nasty investigations reveal your malfeasance

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

nah the dude who did that art is actually famously a racist piece of poo poo who barely got any work once that was revealed

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

sexpig by night posted:

nah the dude who did that art is actually famously a racist piece of poo poo who barely got any work once that was revealed

right. That has nothing to do with who named the card or what production number it fell under

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo
I think this "everyone reveals they're all Magic the Gathering nerds" derail has to be the lamest one yet.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

right. That has nothing to do with who named the card or what production number it fell under

Oh, right yea that was probably just someone having an easy joke.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

sexpig by night posted:

that doesnt really matter

the artists get the commission for the card later in the creative process than this

they aren't involved in the numbering, naming, or flavor

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

VH4Ever posted:

I think this "everyone reveals they're all Magic the Gathering nerds" derail has to be the lamest one yet.

You will be wishing for this type of poo poo when primary season starts in 37 seconds and lasts the next 65 years

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea my bad I somehow blocked out that last chunk of the post and assumed we were talking about the hilariously terrible art and not the name. Yea that was someone 100% just being a dork and saying 'hah...that'd be funny right' and assuming they wouldn't give that card to a secret neo-nazi for the art.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

exploded mummy posted:

that doesnt really matter

the artists get the commission for the card later in the creative process than this

they aren't involved in the numbering, naming, or flavor

there is literally zero chance that a guy that paints hitler as jesus just randomly happened to get card 1488 for his drawing of the KKK called "prejudice"

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

there is literally zero chance that a guy that paints hitler as jesus just randomly happened to get card 1488 for his drawing of the KKK called "prejudice"

there was one guy who said that it was random, but that wasnt me, champ

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Yeah, the implication of making it a blue card is that prejudice is smart and intellectual (rather than, say, if it were Black).

Mechanically, blue tends to delay (force creatures back to their owner's hand) while black tends to destroy (send creatures to the graveyard).

It works both thematically and mechanically.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

pseudanonymous posted:

In fact, she's probably totally disingenuous. Tweeting about it draws more attention to it, while simultaneously signaling to strong daddy that she supports him. But in fact, her goal may very well be to draw attention to the fact that there's a new concerned Republican who is "mature" and "statesmanlike"

Of all the republicans leaping at the chance to appear reasonable and statesmanlike, Mitt Romney is the one I see trying the hardest, him and Flake. What that means for 2020 is still a mystery, but there it is.

Blue isn't just about smart intellectual stuff. It's also manipulation of the lessers for the "greater good", theft, and deceit.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Correct, no one is saying it's an accident. We're saying the actual artist wasn't involved in the production number or even the name. They assign artists the cards to paint

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

He probably requested it after the fact but they're right that the card making process is that someone had to sit down and go '1488 right? Hah let's be dumb and call it 'invoke prejudice' and have it be about loving up summoning different monsters' before the art team got it. They almost certainly had no clue he was secretly Creepy Nazi Artist but yea he probably saw that come up and was all 'oh man guys I've got this don't worry'.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

VH4Ever posted:

It's actually cool, because that Harold guy is extremely bonkers and drew a literal Hitler Jesus, he's like Garrison on a bad trip. If anyone in the world should get pre-arrested for "probably going to murder someone very very soon," it's former Magic the Gathering artist, Harold McNeil.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

One of the consequences of the shutdown has been that Native American reservations are not being maintained since the agency responsible for that is shut down. This means that at one reservation people could not drive their cars into town because their roads were covered in snow and they had to walk miles in the snow. Or in some areas food assistance (provided by the government) is drying up since no money is coming in.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

exploded mummy posted:

there was one guy who said that it was random, but that wasnt me, champ

Look at this guy impeding forums poster oocc's duty to remind us what a very rational boy he is

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

One of the consequences of the shutdown has been that Native American reservations are not being maintained since the agency responsible for that is shut down. This means that at one reservation people could not drive their cars into town because their roads were covered in snow and they had to walk miles in the snow. Or in some areas food assistance (provided by the government) is drying up since no money is coming in.

But we need a WAAAAAALLLLLLLLL :freep:

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
https://twitter.com/TheAtlantic/status/1080420311814848512?s=19

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The :psyduck: thing is the art he drew is really creepy and appropriate for the card, except every normal person sees it as "He's invoking the KKK and death to drive the point home" when the artist is like "We should totally do this."

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/ryangrim/status/1080490125119942658

16 more to kill Paygo.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Ahh so they ARE trying to pivot on the wall issue and the "wall" is now a metaphor for Border Security (I will always capitalize Border Security!) so that he doesn't have to ask for as much money and can turn it into a symbolic effort. It might have been a clever move had it not been performed with the grace of a blind elephant. This administration is aggressively stupid.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I wonder what the company who makes those cards does in this case. Do you discontinue the card, but then therefore make it rare and "valuable". Or do you pump out the card in vast quants (maybe we a second card saying they disavow it), so it's worthless?

I know they have some kind of black lotus card that's super valuable, not because it's good, but because they made so few. If you wanted to make that card worthless, how do you handle it? (What did that company actually do in this case?)

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/smithsonian/status/1080461674019196928

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

I'm sure the rest of the DSA Dems (Omar/Pressley/Tlaib) will sign on too, and I'm sure they can dig more out of the Progressive Caucus.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

why is she even trying this

why is dem history so full of self owns

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

he could be garbage on every other issue and if he seemed sincere about climate change, I'd vote for him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Do they feed legislators to the zoo animals so they don't starve?