Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

IUG posted:

I wonder what the company who makes those cards does in this case. Do you discontinue the card, but then therefore make it rare and "valuable". Or do you pump out the card in vast quants (maybe we a second card saying they disavow it), so it's worthless?

I know they have some kind of black lotus card that's super valuable, not because it's good, but because they made so few. If you wanted to make that card worthless, how do you handle it? (What did that company actually do in this case?)

Black lotus is super valuable because it is indeed super good, and I think they took it out in the beta run or something because it was TOO good. I think a mint one now can run you up to like ten grand (no lie!)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

IUG posted:

I wonder what the company who makes those cards does in this case. Do you discontinue the card, but then therefore make it rare and "valuable". Or do you pump out the card in vast quants (maybe we a second card saying they disavow it), so it's worthless?

I know they have some kind of black lotus card that's super valuable, not because it's good, but because they made so few. If you wanted to make that card worthless, how do you handle it? (What did that company actually do in this case?)

It's a card from 25 years ago. If they ever rereleased it they could just get new art. And I doubt Wizards has ever concerned themselves overmuch with the after-market value of cards since they sell them randomly sorted in booster packs and don't make any money when two nerds sell each other black lotuses.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

he could be garbage on every other issue and if he seemed sincere about climate change, I'd vote for him

He does seem to be, and depending on his proposed solutions it could be a winning issue for him.

That being said, I find it too early to tell if he's going to become a force or not, my gut reaction is "hell of a lot better than Biden"

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

IUG posted:

Black Lotus was a really good card for any color deck which is why it went up in scarcity. (Its basically 3 free uncolored mana)

Cards only get one production order per production number. Cards can be brought back with another production # in a future set, though they're also just as likely that they may change the name but keep it functionally identical

they do have a list of cards that will never ever be reprinted though and Black Lotus is on it

Wicked Them Beats posted:

It's a card from 25 years ago. If they ever rereleased it they could just get new art. And I doubt Wizards has ever concerned themselves overmuch with the after-market value of cards since they sell them randomly sorted in booster packs and don't make any money when two nerds sell each other black lotuses.

They announced they would never reprint it 23 years ago

They do care about the aftermarket, its marketed as a collectible card game, so half the reason they get away with selling little lootboxes of cars for so much is the unspoken promise on the backend that these will be collectors items and worth money later.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Trump is that one friend who bought a premade deck from the shop, lost badly and complained to high heavens so you build them a great deck with your own catalog and knowledge and when he ultimately ends up winning believes it's genuinely due to his superior skills and not because you gave him dual lands for everything and a black lotus.

also my deck is green/white what does that say about me fellow nerds

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Wicked Them Beats posted:

The benefit to them is that people think of their cards as valuable collectables, rather than tat.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

sexpig by night posted:

why is she even trying this

why is dem history so full of self owns

Even good people are incapable of admitting when ideas they support are bad and they are wrong.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

sexpig by night posted:

why is she even trying this

why is dem history so full of self owns

Because her politics suck and as does her political strategy.

https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1080492088356159489

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Ah, I haven't played that game in like 20 years (christ I'm old). I don't even know who owns it, or that the blue card was an old one. Sounds like they're at least doing what Disney did with Song of the South then. Yeesh.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Photo of the 5 Democrats who will have subpoena power

Are these the 5 Angry Democrats I've heard so much about?

Discendo Vox posted:

Yeah, fair. Idk how much he coordinates with the party apparatus. I'd fully be expecting them to be setting up an escape hatch at this point, though.

The real escape hatch is the guy he's replacing.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Koalas Massacre posted:

Trump is that one friend who bought a premade deck from the shop, lost badly and complained to high heavens so you build them a great deck with your own catalog and knowledge and when he ultimately ends up winning believes it's genuinely due to his superior skills and not because you gave him dual lands for everything and a black lotus.

Openness, equality, freedom, and probably a deck full of critters that are annoying!

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Koalas Massacre posted:

Better things than my inclination toward Red/Blue
But I haven't made a deck in like 20 years.

Trump is def red.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/RoKhanna/status/1080472399123042304
https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1080492088356159489

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

KickerOfMice posted:

Black lotus is super valuable because it is indeed super good, and I think they took it out in the beta run or something because it was TOO good. I think a mint one now can run you up to like ten grand (no lie!)

Is the grammar for “Cats creature” correct? Like I understand why it’s “attorneys general” and not “attorney generals” but “Cats creature” sounds weird to me because the noun is “creature,” not “cat?”

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Love that he tagged Stephanie Kelton.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

One amazing moment to watch tomorrow

https://mobile.twitter.com/CNNPolitics/status/1079987097694547968

quote:

This week, like other new members of Congress, incoming Michigan Rep. Rashida Tlaib (D) will take her first oath of office. Unlike most other incoming members of Congress, however, Tlaib will be sworn in on the Koran, Islam’s holiest book. And not just any Koran, but the 1734 English translation of the work that belonged to Thomas Jefferson and now resides in the Library of Congress.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

(literal) Holy Moly! I didn't know you could swear into congress on the Koran, given, you know, the United States. Nice. :discourse:

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is the grammar for “Cats creature” correct? Like I understand why it’s “attorneys general” and not “attorney generals” but “Cats creature” sounds weird to me because the noun is “creature,” not “cat?”

I think it's probably just a photoshop from some radno. I just googled "cats MTG."

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Koalas Massacre posted:

Honestly, it means absolutely nothing. People that play the game may prefer certain colors or styles of play over others. But identifying as being in a certain color or combination of them or faction like a guild in Ravnica has never been something beyond marketing. That kind of thing never really grew organically like alignment in D&D did.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

The angry tears in the comments are just :discourse:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

IUG posted:

Black lotus is rare BECAUSE it's so good. It's legit one of the best cards in the game and is banned from nearly all competition.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
I like the message “we need to learn that austerity doesn’t work” because holy loving hell Reaganomics is still destroying any chance of economic mobility in this country almost 40 goddamned years later.

Lord Jesus above can we get a loving public transit system? GM and Ford are dead anyways as they double-down on premium SUVs that nobody will buy when we hit full-recession come 2020, so we don’t have an automotive industry to protect. gently caress it, bring on the buses and trains.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

righto, Pelosi, you got twelve-thirteen days to make Trump buckle before this shutdown negatively impacts me personally (in a way i notice)

get on it

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

KickerOfMice posted:

(literal) Holy Moly! I didn't know you could swear into congress on the Koran, given, you know, the United States. Nice. :discourse:

I think it's probably just a photoshop from some radno. I just googled "cats MTG."

People at the NYT seem to think you can swear in using a comic book if you wanted.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/13/us/politics/roy-moore-bible-ted-crockett.html

I know you’re allowed to use other religious texts or no texts at all. I really hope you can swear in to spider man if you wanted.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

KickerOfMice posted:

How could you have forgotten this Precious Moment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFYRkzznsc0

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/getfiscal/status/1080497634333335552

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

KillHour posted:

Black lotus is rare BECAUSE it's so good. It's legit one of the best cards in the game and is banned from nearly all competition.

And because Wizards has said they won't reprint it.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Any member of the progressive caucus that votes for paygo needs to be kicked out. It's an idiotic idea when the supposedly fiscally conservative party goes HAM on spending whenever they like and it never results in any electoral gains. It's just conservative Pelosi committed to the austerity cult since fiscal conservatism is a religion and not based in any reality.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Ripoff posted:

I like the message “we need to learn that austerity doesn’t work” because holy loving hell Reaganomics is still destroying any chance of economic mobility in this country almost 40 goddamned years later.

Lord Jesus above can we get a loving public transit system? GM and Ford are dead anyways as they double-down on premium SUVs that nobody will buy when we hit full-recession come 2020, so we don’t have an automotive industry to protect. gently caress it, bring on the buses and trains.
That and we just gave corporations an enormous tax cut which they proceeded to pocket but nope, no money for good things sorry.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

mcmagic posted:

And because Wizards has said they won't reprint it.

They won't reprint it because it's so good it breaks the game. That's still the reason it's rare.

Also, I play a sliver deck because I'm an rear end in a top hat.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Sir Lemming posted:

How could you have forgotten this Precious Moment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFYRkzznsc0

:lol: I'd seen this before, yes, but if anyone else hasn't, watch it just for the hollow-faced DUHHHHHHH reaction when Tapper gently asks him a question about his knowledge of the law.

I've forgotten so much, drat Trumpian time dilation!

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jan 2, 2019

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

KillHour posted:

They won't reprint it because it's so good it breaks the game. That's still the reason it's rare.

Also, I play a sliver deck because I'm an rear end in a top hat.

No that isn't true. There is a TON of cards they won't reprint just because they are old and rares and they said they wouldn't 20 years ago for no reason. It has nothing to do with power level.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The only deck I've ever built from scratch was a joke deck that transformed the player into an invincible squirrel. I wouldn't *win*, but it was funny.

KickerOfMice posted:

You can't be required to swear on the book of a particular religion or a book that is religious, you can use any book IIRC. You also don't have to swear, you can choose to affirm instead if you have a deeply held objection to swearing oaths.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Me: "Maybe, just maybe, congressional democrats are learning a valuable lesson about governance from this mess and won't demonstrate that they're idiots who only deserve votes due to not being white supremacists. They might not able to make progress, but perhaps they can put forward plans that show the country that something better is possible."

Democrats: "Hey, we're just going to intentionally hamstring the government with a provably economically disastrous plan that's core to conservative economic policies."

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/EricColumbus/status/1080496023716458496

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

IUG posted:

Ah, I haven't played that game in like 20 years (christ I'm old). I don't even know who owns it, or that the blue card was an old one. Sounds like they're at least doing what Disney did with Song of the South then. Yeesh.

There is no amusement park ride based on Invoke Prejudice

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Random Stranger posted:

Me: "Maybe, just maybe, congressional democrats are learning a valuable lesson about governance from this mess and won't demonstrate that they're idiots who only deserve votes due to not being white supremacists. They might not able to make progress, but perhaps they can put forward plans that show the country that something better is possible."

Democrats: "Hey, we're just going to intentionally hamstring the government with a provably economically disastrous plan that's core to conservative economic policies."

Please first allow the Dems to be a waste before you post about it

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Republicans promoting the new tax cut on yachts: "Do we really need a department of education?"

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

He's actually pretty good and it's loving crazy that folks aren't paying attention to more folks from Washington State. Our AG is a total badass.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

haveblue posted:

The only deck I've ever built from scratch was a joke deck that transformed the player into an invincible squirrel. I wouldn't *win*, but it was funny.

You can't be required to swear on the book of a particular religion or a book that is religious, you can use any book IIRC. You also don't have to swear, you can choose to affirm instead if you have a deeply held objection to swearing oaths.

Interesting, and for me, new info. Thanks.

Not the unholy-powerful squirrel thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

mcmagic posted:

No that isn't true. There is a TON of cards they won't reprint just because they are old and rares and they said they wouldn't 20 years ago for no reason. It has nothing to do with power level.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_Nine

How are you so wrong about literally everything? It's staggering.