Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
I was lazily looking forward to it, but after installing Asscreed Odyssey with a 2500k it can't come soon enough! Dear AMD pls announce a 3700x with maybe an even better cooler that comes out before the FFXV DLC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
Has there been any more word on the leaks that happened for the Zen 2 CPUs? My brain says don't expect 5.0GHz, but my heart (and wallet) wants to BELIEVE!

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Broose posted:

Has there been any more word on the leaks that happened for the Zen 2 CPUs? My brain says don't expect 5.0GHz, but my heart (and wallet) wants to BELIEVE!

Hopefully there will be more news come CES since Lisa has the keynote.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

both Zen 1 and Zen+ launched in the spring (march and april respectively), but this transition seems pretty major so i dunno how relevant that is.

Zen2 Epyc seems to be sampling to big partners and theyve said it will come to market first, so its just a matter of time i guess. i think this is gonna be a fun one

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Broose posted:

Just some weak rumors about TSMC's 7nm HP process that suggest 5Ghz may be real (at least as a single core stock boost setting) but nothing worth getting hyped for sure over. We'll probably see better leaks after CES in early January.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
AdoredTV has a new video out rounding up all the new "leaks"/rumors since his last video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MG-onUm__c8

tl;dw: If these are accurate we're probably getting announcements for Ryzen 3000-series CPUs based on 7nm Zen 2 and Navi GPUs at CES which will launch 3-4 months afterwards. We're probably also going to get 12nm Zen+ APUs in the Ryzen 3000 series but the timing/details are a lot fuzzier on those.

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Dec 31, 2018

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Mr.Radar posted:

AdoredTV has a new video out rounding up all the new "leaks"/rumors since his last video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MG-onUm__c8

tl;dw: If these are accurate we're probably getting announcements for Ryzen 3000-series CPUs based on 7nm Zen 2 and Navi GPUs at CES which will launch 3-4 months afterwards. We're probably also going to get 12nm Zen+ APUs in the Ryzen 3000 series but the timing/details are a lot fuzzier on those.

Big if true

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Does MSI Afterburner have that +10C offset on Ryzen CPUs? Pulled it up while playing Overwatch today and was surprised to see my temps spike into the low 80s at like 20% load. Alt+tabbed to open Ryzen Master and it instantly dropped, although that might have been because I was out of the app.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

exquisite tea posted:

Does MSI Afterburner have that +10C offset on Ryzen CPUs? Pulled it up while playing Overwatch today and was surprised to see my temps spike into the low 80s at like 20% load. Alt+tabbed to open Ryzen Master and it instantly dropped, although that might have been because I was out of the app.

HWiNFO gives both the offset (Tctl) and non-offset (Tdie) temperature values in its sensors panel. Compare Afterburner's to those numbers and figure out which one it's using. (I'm guessing Tdie because that's what it's using for me? At least on 4.6.0b9.)

And yeah the CPU can shed heat pretty quick when it stops being under load; that's probably what happened when you tabbed away from the thing loading your CPU.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

dont be mean to me posted:

HWiNFO gives both the offset (Tctl) and non-offset (Tdie) temperature values in its sensors panel. Compare Afterburner's to those numbers and figure out which one it's using. (I'm guessing Tdie because that's what it's using for me? At least on 4.6.0b9.)

And yeah the CPU can shed heat pretty quick when it stops being under load; that's probably what happened when you tabbed away from the thing loading your CPU.

afterburner has always used the offset number for me.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
Found on a Russian web shop:

http://www.e-katalog.ru/AMD-RYZEN-9-MATISSE.htm

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
:getin:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

12c/24t at 5Ghz boost? Isn't this from the leak that someone admitted they were just loving with their friend? CES is next week and we'll probably have a realistic idea of what to expect then.

drat it would be nice though, I'd probably pay up to $400 for that, and $200 is my normal CPU budget. Going to push the entire computer over the 1K mark probably but would be so worth it.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
This is just a spec for spec direct transcription of the adoredtv "leaks": https://www.notebookcheck.net/Tech-Analyst-AdoredTV-leaks-alleged-specs-of-the-upcoming-Ryzen-3000-series.374256.0.html

The existence of the Ryzen 9 tiering, while totally believable and very likely even, hasn't been proven conclusively 100% just yet. CES in a week.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Money in hand for 3700X if it boosts to :five:

aluminumonkey
Jun 19, 2002

Reggie loves tacos

teh_Broseph posted:

I was lazily looking forward to it, but after installing Asscreed Odyssey with a 2500k it can't come soon enough! Dear AMD pls announce a 3700x with maybe an even better cooler that comes out before the FFXV DLC

Are you me? I'm still rocking my 2500k with 16GB of ram. It works well enough for the work I do with it, but it would be so much better with new everything. My data conversion scripts take too long to run and would like to cut that in half or more.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

pixaal posted:

Isn't this from the leak that someone admitted they were just loving with their friend?

That was the reddit leak. Adored's was supposedly emailed to him though he mentioned both in one of his videos a few weeks ago initially. But yeah we should have a much better idea of what will happen after CES.

Should firm up the launch dates better too. If Zen2 for desktops is a Q1-Q2-ish (March or May) product instead of Q2-Q3-ish one that'll be real nice.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

aluminumonkey posted:

Are you me? I'm still rocking my 2500k with 16GB of ram. It works well enough for the work I do with it, but it would be so much better with new everything. My data conversion scripts take too long to run and would like to cut that in half or more.

but asscreed Odyssey is legit poo poo for cpus and just pegs my 4690 at 100% and 35ish fps while my gpu just hums around at 70% usage.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 23, 2021

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

sincx posted:

Isn't it because of the DRM?

That was the initial thought but someone tried to optimize the game and found out it was an Arkham Knight situation all over again.

The game constantly loads in, loads out, and then loads back in textures and other stuff causing a lot of driver overhead. It also isn't constrained by disk speed so a nvme ssd somehow exacerbates the problem? It's some dumb poo poo

edit: https://github.com/Kaldaien/SpecialK/releases/tag/sk_odyssey

aluminumonkey
Jun 19, 2002

Reggie loves tacos
Would it be worth the drop in clock frequency to go with the "3800X" vs the "3700X" assuming this data is correct?

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

aluminumonkey posted:

Would it be worth the drop in clock frequency to go with the "3800X" vs the "3700X" assuming this data is correct?

Depending on your workload yes, but in VIDYJAGAMES you want the faster clock.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Yeah for games probably the best balance of multi thread and single threaded performance for the money/watts would be the R5 3600X (going by that linked leak image).

I'm guessing power/heat will be the biggest issue when overclocking the 8C+ chips. Assuming you want to get as close to 5Ghz as possible of course. Much like with Intel's latest 8C+ chips practical overclocking will probably require you back off the max possible clocks a bit for 24/7 OC's with a practical 2x 120mm AIO cooler.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

wargames posted:

Depending on your workload yes, but in VIDYJAGAMES you want the faster clock.

Even outside of that 24 to 32 threads probably isn't going to make up for the 300Mhz difference outside of things that scale extremely well with core count or extreme multi-tasking. It's a 33% gain on cores vs a 7% increase in clock speed so there's a lot of room but so many programs still have a main thread that does over 50% of the work and that's what is going to limit you, most desktop software isn't designed for high core count either since they assume only 4 cores and threads will be reasonably available since the i5 doesn't do Hyper-threading.

PS4 is at 8 threads, and so is the i7, even with the R7 you get 300% the core count from this. This is much like buying the AMD x64 and expecting that to future proof you. I replaced my AMDx64 before a Windows OS came out that even had a 64 bit option, and it took years for actual software to support it. To this day a 32bit processor will run almost everything since they still make 32 bit builds of anything that doesn't need more than 4GB of RAM.

General purpose: Ghz, you probably know if you use a piece of software that scales really well with core count, and even if you do the actual difference will probably be fairly small so unless this is only going to run that I'd still grab the R7. These leaks are a bit unlikely though, but I do remember the massive increases of the early 2000s so I wouldn't say it's impossible.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jan 2, 2019

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

Once again this looks too good to be true. Is 7nm really that big of a leap?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

spasticColon posted:

Seamonster posted:

This is just a spec for spec direct transcription of the adoredtv "leaks": https://www.notebookcheck.net/Tech-Analyst-AdoredTV-leaks-alleged-specs-of-the-upcoming-Ryzen-3000-series.374256.0.html

The existence of the Ryzen 9 tiering, while totally believable and very likely even, hasn't been proven conclusively 100% just yet. CES in a week.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
7nm is the last big leap within like, the next 3 years IMHO. Like I think TSMC will hit 5nm but that should only have parity with Intel's proposed 7nm, and that's kind of it until we've made a materiel's breakthrough, AND make it cheap enough. Nodes are getting exponentially more expensive, it's not impossible to think of 7nm as the last consumer node TBF.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

spasticColon posted:

It's probably fake but yes, 7nm almost doubles transistor density.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

spasticColon posted:

Well TSMC's 7nm is about as good what Intel's 10nm was supposed to be going by what others who seem to know their stuff have said. If that is true why are big gains so shocking and impossible?

Holden MacRoin
Sep 5, 2011
faaaaart

Khorne
May 1, 2002
I'm not that hyped but I really want to see what gets announced so I can decide what computer I am building this year. Cya ivy bridge, you served me beyond well and hopefully will serve my family well as well.

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Well TSMC's 7nm is about as good what Intel's 10nm was supposed to be going by what others who seem to know their stuff have said. If that is true why are big gains so shocking and impossible?
People forgot what it was like when the market was competitive and technology moved forward. Intel has been selling the same desktop CPU since 2011 and only really added more cores with the 8xxx/9xxx series. I said desktop because they did make big strides for laptops, and Intel is still laptop king with AMD not even really trying to compete there.

It literally went single core -> e8xxx series -> sandy bridge in a 4-5 year period. Then sandy/ivy were competitive with all releases for the next 7 years outside of HEDT. Overclocked sandy bridge/ivy bridge i7 were literally beating stock clocked i7s 6 years later until the 6c dropped. It's not until this generation that intel has decent auto boost.

There were plenty of other crazy leaps before then, too. I honestly find the leaks believable outside of APU stuff. Intel slept because 10nm was supposed to come out years ago at this point and there was nothing pushing them to get better products out.

AMD has a process and an architecture lead. But not for long. AMD is also going to make bank on server sales and can afford to push for consumer market share. Whether their CPUs can meet the leak specs or not I don't know, but they're going to try real hard to gain market and mind share.

Risky Bisquick posted:

Money in hand for 3700X if it boosts to :five:
There's a chance it might have a slight ipc lead over intel in games. Which means 4.8 AMD might be faster than or equivalent to 5 intel.

If the improvements to zen2 epyc are there on the consumer CPUs then zen2 should have a 2%-5% ipc lead in most benchmarks. Already AMD has been between an 0.6% lead and a 3.2% deficit in things that don't make heavy use of vector instruction sets. Vector stuff zen+ gets slain by intel. The epyc improvements increase some vector op heavy benchmarks by 20%+. Extrapolating, it's reasonable to assume AMD will be about even in games across the board, have a slight lead in the games they're already even in, and have an advantage in heavily threaded games.

The one thing I'm hyped about that is very real for sure is power efficiency.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jan 3, 2019

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Oh God. If that is even remotely true, I'll try to sell my 2600x and upgrade to a 3600x or 3700x but will probably have to firesale it, if the 8/16 cores 3600x really goes for 230$ and the 3300x (6/12 cores, 3.5/4.3Ghz just like the 2600x...) for 130$ :stare: I honestly didn't expect prices to remain almost the same for such a big leap (if confirmed of course)

If this goes forward, and people start adopting 12 or 16 cores CPUs, will that change how developers make games? Will they be really useful? Right now for a gamer, there's not much point in going any higher than 8 core, let alone 16, since most games use up to 4-6 and that's quite recent, it was up to 2 until last year or so :v:

I'm more interested in the 4.8/5.0Ghz boost speeds, actually :unsmigghh:

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Jan 3, 2019

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

TorakFade posted:

If this goes forward, and people start adopting 12 or 16 cores CPUs, will that change how developers make games? Will they be really useful? Right now for a gamer, there's not much point in going any higher than 8 core, let alone 16, since most games use up to 4-6 and that's quite recent, it was up to 2 until last year or so :v:

Probably not, I'm doubtful that the next gen consoles will have more than 8 physical cores due to the chiplet design and that was the primary driver of increased multithreading in game engines.

It would be cool for people who want their workstation to double as a gaming box (or vice versa) though.

eames
May 9, 2009

TorakFade posted:

As Arzachel said, 8 cores will probably be the limit for a while. Core scaling is far from linear and while I don't know how parallel modern game engines are, I'd guess that the light blue line in that graph currently best represents that workload.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

TorakFade posted:

If this goes forward, and people start adopting 12 or 16 cores CPUs, will that change how developers make games?
Eventually but it'll be years before it does.

The developers have to wait for the hardware to be commonplace enough that they know it'll work on most people's machines before they start making 6-8 core CPU's the normal baseline to target. There are some games that'll use more than 4 threads now, and more will pop up over time, but they still aren't the norm yet.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Windows also needs to fix their core assignment. Wendell @ L1T, Ian at Anandtech, and the writer of Process Lasso seem to have nailed down that the performance regressions that the 2nd gen Ryzen exhibits down to a kernel bug.

https://level1techs.com/article/unlocking-2990wx-less-numa-aware-apps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2LOMTpCtLA

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Jan 3, 2019

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

OK so best gaming bang for the buck will be the 3600x, kinda like the 2600x now if you don't want to pay the Intel tax...

With 8 cores/16 threads you'd be covered at least a few years and 4.8Ghz (possibly even more with overclocking) is plenty of speed.

If it really goes for 230$ and performance is good, I could be convinced to let some lucky guy have a barely-used ryzen 2600x for 80$ or so, and just pay the 150$ difference for that 8-core 4.8Ghz goodness :allears:

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
I'm still on a 2500K and I'm hoping that Zen 2 isn't a wet fart because I don't want to pay the Intel tax. I would wait for the next-gen consoles to be revealed before upgrading but it's probably a safe bet they will use 8-core Zen 2 based CPUs. Because of that I want to upgrade to a 8-core CPU because by then more games will probably take advantage of those cores because of Vulkan and DX12. I know you can't "future-proof" but you can upgrade with the future in mind.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

spasticColon posted:

I'm still on a 2500K and I'm hoping that Zen 2 isn't a wet fart because I don't want to pay the Intel tax. I would wait for the next-gen consoles to be revealed before upgrading but it's probably a safe bet they will use 8-core Zen 2 based CPUs. Because of that I want to upgrade to a 8-core CPU because by then more games will probably take advantage of those cores because of Vulkan and DX12. I know you can't "future-proof" but you can upgrade with the future in mind.

Agreed, Intel's pricing has been bullshit for awhile so I'm definitely getting a Zen 2 platform this go around. I will probably just get an 8-12 core Zen 2, I doubt the consoles will go beyond that for the foreseeable future. Can't loving wait for CES which is funny because I haven't cared about the show in years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
Sorry, I don't have anything to back this up (although I've been playing around, trying to find evidence - any cached pages (although the cpu list queries a database), links to that f7d bios, etc...), but I thought everyone would want to see this image anyway:

I can't really figure out where it originates from, it could be that someone has simply manipulated the image, of course, although it's more likely they'd have just edited the code to give it an authentic look.
It's hard to know whether we're seeing more real info, or just an echo of all the other poo poo rattling around.

Obviously the current page doesn't look like that.

Edit: hmm, is this the first possible leak of the L3 cache size?
Double edit: this type of leak is also verifiable after the launch, because it contains very specific information - the stepping and the BIOS version that introduces support. I know a "leak" simply being known information after launch isn't very interesting, but I think that it'd be pretty neat to come back and see if it was valid.
Triple edit: for what little it's worth, I think the 3700X is the one to get. 12 cores (more than most people know what to do with... today), out of the box boost to 5GHz, all in the same power envelope as the old 2700X? If it's real, Intel should be very worried.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jan 3, 2019