Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Several years ago, I was a fan of a musician by the name of Shoebox, singer, keyboardist, and sole member of the band Worm Quartet. His songs were funny in that sort of random monkey cheese way that was popular at the time, and one of the types of song he did were called "Chutney songs" (Chutney is the name of one of the worms). These are basically free verse word salad, where roughly half a quarter of a sentence makes sense before veering off into utter nonsense. Recently I was considering Markov bots and neural networks, and I realized you could probably generate Chutney songs more easily than you could do a regular coherent set of lyrics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaLU_8QJTbs
Every so often when I go to make a sandwich, I mutter "We each know a loaf, and we each know another loaf, and yet here comes Willard" as I grab the bread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Have you ever seen ads for t-shirts on your Facebook news feed that are created by an algorithm based on pages that you like and statuses that you've made? Of course you have. This Instagram page is filled with some of the funniest, weirdest, and creepiest examples.

F-Bomb Autism Mom, I Sprinkle That poo poo Like Confetti
Prayer is the Best Way to Meet the Lord, But Messing With a Woman Who Works At McDonald's Is Faster
Let More Hater Say Another Bad Word About My Falcons
Everybody's A Forklift Operator Until the Real Forklift Operator Shows Up
I Speak In J Cole Song Lyrics and Harry Potter Quotes

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Doctor: We've been telling you, autism is just an excuse your mom is using. She doesn't want to reveal she has tourettes because she doesn't want to get treatment.

Mom: gently caress that poo poo, gently caress you gently caress gently caress gently caress sprinkle fucks I sprinkle fucks I sprinkle that poo poo like confetti all over gently caress gently caress fucks fucks many fucks. I'm autism mom gently caress gently caress gently caress you for saying my condition is a lie gently caress loving tourettes it's all over gently caress look gently caress at gently caress them fucks.

Doctor: Honestly, it's kinda embarrassing. As a professional I must ask you two to stop wasting my time, and if you want my personal opinion, what you're doing is just downright wrong. Other than her constant use of the f-word her notion on what autism constitutes is extremely noxious. You should at the very least stop giving her dopamine stimulants.

Daughter: gently caress.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Daughter: Dad, I'm tired. Mom can be so tiring sometimes.

Father: Lights, please.

Daughter: Sure but it ain't that dark.

Father: Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.

Daughter: gently caress.

Elentor has a new favorite as of 22:48 on Jan 2, 2019

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

https://twitter.com/JanelleCShane/status/1080487321412272128

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Tag you are self, I'm Dawne Shift the Monkz

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I'm Tree Whistle the half-Orc barbarian. No, don't bother trying to pronounce the rest, your barbaric human tongue can't handle the phonemes.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Rune Diggler, star of Boogie Knights.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Phy posted:

Rune Diggler, star of Boogie Knights.

Talk about a magic missile! *Grouchos away*

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

These Titties Are Protected By a Skinny White Guy in his Mid-Thirties Who Wears DC Shoes Yells At Me in Public and is Addicted to Percs Who Was Born in February

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Rune Wash is already a character.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I'm no more a fan of the "forced a bot" type of post than y'all, but I have to admit, this one is some pretty good comedy.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Excuse me your link clearly says "Walsh" that's completely different

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I Rune Warsh myself with a rag on a staff

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3876229

A neat GAN breeder got its own GBS thread.

I made something then animated it

Tunicate has a new favorite as of 08:14 on Jan 7, 2019

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
GBS has also been loving with a procgen manga coloring algorithm with wonderful results.

caligulamprey posted:

Feeding the palate a steady diet of Lisa Frank and Pointillist sunrise paintings produces lovely results:

free hubcaps posted:

this is awesome and it works really well with HR Giger

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A few people in the FFVII thread ran some of my drawings through it:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The directional lighting on S2P is hit and miss, but when it hits it's really nice.

Anyway more horrible thigns

Tunicate has a new favorite as of 04:18 on Jan 8, 2019

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
God :drat: at the last four posts

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Dang I am having way too much fun screwing around

It's neat that the intermediate step grows a cardinal-style beak for a few frames.

Access granted.

Tunicate has a new favorite as of 07:42 on Jan 8, 2019

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Can't wait until we have augmented reality glasses that can do that in real time with everything you see. Until then, I guess I'll just have to keep taking drugs.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Tunicate posted:

Dang I am having way too much fun screwing around

It's neat that the intermediate step grows a cardinal-style beak for a few frames.

Access granted.

Haha these are too great. I really like the second one. ACCESS GRANTED

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Retro gaming people are going buckwild about this new image resizing deep learning AI called ESRGAN that can basically do the "computer, enhance" thing for real by being trained on huge pools of images to figure out what should go where when an image is resized and the missing info needs to be filled in.

An entire gallery of similar upscaling applied to different Sierra adventure games

buglord
Jul 31, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Buglord
Theres a few in there where you can tell the AI struggled but this is jaw dropping. Total pro click.

This makes me excited for procgen stuff again. I've always been interested in it, but NVIDIA doing the fake people thing really unnerved me to no end

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

That's really cool! Using that for a remake would definitely require some touches from a human but it's very promising. I kinda like how the green cottage image turned into all painting-like after ESRGAN treatment. Shame about the stars in the final screenshot (King's Quest?)

E: Very much King's Quest

Hempuli has a new favorite as of 19:38 on Jan 9, 2019

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Guy Mann posted:

Retro gaming people are going buckwild about this new image resizing deep learning AI called ESRGAN that can basically do the "computer, enhance" thing for real by being trained on huge pools of images to figure out what should go where when an image is resized and the missing info needs to be filled in.

An entire gallery of similar upscaling applied to different Sierra adventure games
The second image in this post is from this Morrowind texture replacer, so ESRGAN is already being used to make games look better.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Waifu2x does a similarly good job with anime pictures.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Tunicate posted:

Waifu2x does a similarly good job with anime pictures.

And Topaz Ai Gigapixel does a slightly better job with photos, drawings etc.
Does a better job with detail than Waifu2x I feel. (Though this can have a lot to do with Waifu's training pool, after all. )

TheMaskedUgly
Sep 21, 2008

Let's play a different game.

quote:

"Thank You Lord! Thank You LORD!": Nurse Explodes in Garage

Also, mods, name change please:
F-Bomb Autism Mom

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Guy Mann posted:

why hasn't this been applied to Steamed Hams yet, is what I'm wondering

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Well you’d probably have to do it frame by frame. It would be pretty time and resource intensive to do the whole thing. Obviously no expense is too great.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Maybe so, but you can use a computer to automate repetitive tasks, such as applying a filter to multiple images.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Unless you set up a filter like this to take time into account, you usually end up with irritating image flickering when processing video

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Tunicate posted:

Unless you set up a filter like this to take time into account, you usually end up with irritating image flickering when processing video

yea it flickers still but 1-2 years ago the whole image would jump and twist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayPqjPekn7g

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Krankenstyle posted:

yea it flickers still but 1-2 years ago the whole image would jump and twist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayPqjPekn7g

And as the paper says, that neural net isn't doing video by using blind frame-by-frame processing.

So trying to just apply the ESRGAN to video frame-by-frame is gonna have some pretty big problems - you'd have to design a different network and train it again from scratch.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Sorry ya I forgot to mention that, the reason it looks better than other solutions is that they have a layer to help with the frame transitions

there was had a great video where they show the same sequence with and without but I cant find it

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
:confused: I don't see how "it would be bad quality" is a detriment to a proposed Steamed Ham

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008

Hempuli posted:

That's really cool! Using that for a remake would definitely require some touches from a human but it's very promising. I kinda like how the green cottage image turned into all painting-like after ESRGAN treatment. Shame about the stars in the final screenshot (King's Quest?)

E: Very much King's Quest

Kings Quest V backgrounds were digitally scanned acrylic paintings, so it makes sense that the good images retain that look.

I was wondering why some people had missing arms, then I remembered that those were animated, so that would be a separate image drawn on afterwards.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Some new markov-chained motivational posters! I generated the quotee names separately this time around because settings that generated coherent(-ish) motivational quotes ended up using actual names very often. A lot of the generated lines are just kind of demotivating, which is ironic.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

This is a Final Fantasy Tactics quote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Dilb posted:

Kings Quest V backgrounds were digitally scanned acrylic paintings, so it makes sense that the good images retain that look.

I was wondering why some people had missing arms, then I remembered that those were animated, so that would be a separate image drawn on afterwards.

Yeah, ESRGAN is built primarily around algorithmically generating the data that is lost in image compression so it works really well at upscaling art assets that were compressed like that; the textures in Quake and the monsters in Doom would probably work well with it too. If you feed actual pixel art or clean flat colors like Steamed Hams it doesn't actually do very much because there's no missing data to fill in.