Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I didn't think to count all my unread emails before the big "open, acknowledge there's nothing I need to do with this, move on" purge but I'm at 81 after that.

I'm usually super plugged in but when I upgraded my phone in October, my work email de-synced during the iCloud restoration and I used it as an excuse to completely ignore stuff the week of Christmas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

Maybe it's just a matter of course for my industry, but I have to accessible 24/7 unless I'm on vacation. It's not unusual for an architect, board member, private client or inspector to call, text or email at odd hours.

We have a 4 hour reply window policy, and a chain of redundant checks to make sure it happens, but ultimately it's me or one of my brothers who are responsible

:same: but even on vacation. This is a dead period so nothing ever comes up, also why I do all my longer vacations at end of year. I'm still off until monday and ill probably come back to a thousand unread useless emails though rip. The bigger thing is gonna be catching up on all the slack channels

Master Stur fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jan 2, 2019

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Master Stur posted:

:same: but even on vacation. This is a dead period so nothing ever comes up, also why I do all my longer vacations at end of year. I'm still off until monday and ill probably come back to a thousand unread useless emails though rip. The bigger thing is gonna be catching up on all the slack channels

If you're required to respond to work emails on vacation, then you're not on vacation. I can't even imagine any normal job that requires a 4 hour response time, not matter when the emails is sent. I hate how smart phones have completely changed how we think about work hours.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I didn’t have to respond to a single email the last 12 days I was off because I am the greatest sys admin who ever lived

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Bird in a Blender posted:

If you're required to respond to work emails on vacation, then you're not on vacation. I can't even imagine any normal job that requires a 4 hour response time, not matter when the emails is sent. I hate how smart phones have completely changed how we think about work hours.

My company is a 9 figure per year construction business where the average project is $15mil. Not defending blurred personal/work times, just saying that people in charge of spending that much money expect return calls/texts/emails. Not everything is expected to be resolved within 4 hours, but you gotta respond.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
I can’t imagine completely unplugging, which isn’t to say I don’t (hard to worry about work email when I’m in the woods and two days from electricity), but I try to keep my phone with me even on vacation, since personal relationships with clients are pretty crucial, and you never know when they might only want to talk to you and no other workers, plus teens have a tendency to go days without responding, so I’m usually best served getting a text to them when I know they’re answering. That said, I also feel no compunction about ignoring calls or texts that I don’t believe crucial if I’m not on the clock, a habit assisted by how of the roughly 100–150 emails a day I receive, only about 5-10 actually matter to me, so staying accessible is rarely time (or brain space) intensive.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Ehud posted:

I didn’t have to respond to a single email the last 12 days I was off because I am the greatest sys admin who ever lived

I dunno my sysadmin doesn't respond for 12 days either to emails and he sucks

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I dunno my sysadmin doesn't respond for 12 days either to emails and he sucks

not in his mind tho

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

My company is a 9 figure per year construction business where the average project is $15mil. Not defending blurred personal/work times, just saying that people in charge of spending that much money expect return calls/texts/emails. Not everything is expected to be resolved within 4 hours, but you gotta respond.

I work for a 9 figure per year construction company too, although our average size job is smaller than $15mil. I'd go nuts if I had to respond to every email within 4 hours.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I think D-LINK is one of the owners though?

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail

Bird in a Blender posted:

I agree but currently nobody else can properly manage and do what I do so is what it is. Thankfully end of year is so dead i maybe have to check once or twice in two weeks. 2019 has a lot of planned hires which will let me actually unplug and stop receiving email/slack/txt alarms daily :rip:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I don;t have to be at work today but I came in anyways to impress my bosses

#elite

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
The only way my company knows how to contact me is via my work phone, which goes on do not disturb from 4:30 PM to 8 AM every single weekday (unless I'm on OT), and weekends. They had to reach me on vacation a couple years ago to give me very good news (that my transfer to the new office was approved) and had to call my wife, who is my emergency contact.

I'm unreachable outside of business hours, and I gotta say... it's good, folks.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
As a trucker I don't have to respond to emails for poo poo, but if I'm "under dispatch" like I am today I have to keep my phone handy for any text or calls. Last Wednesday my boss called to see if I wanted to pick up some extra work but I had a long day of watching movies with my brother in law so I cancelled out. If he calls today I'll go in.

My boss is the guy juggling texts and emails from Pittsburgh and Charlotte and blah blah

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

oh poo poo tell us trucker stories

we want trucker stories

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
The nice thing about anesthesia is that once I get my patients out of the OR, they aren't my responsibility, so I never get called at home. All calls and emails are either about scheduling or some broad change in policy.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Man, I probably wrote less than 40 work emails last year.

I loving hate you.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Intruder posted:

I think D-LINK is one of the owners though?

Sorta. It's family owned and operated, so my brothers and sister all have stock, but we're all salaried. I still see my dad as the owner even if he's retired.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

Sorta. It's family owned and operated, so my brothers and sister all have stock, but we're all salaried. I still see my dad as the owner even if he's retired.

Well my point was you have more of a stake in the company than "I work for them"

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

the pittsburgh construction mafia

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Spent my first two years in manufacturing as the engineer in charge of a few different product families which required being on-call 24/7 to answer questions. The people who called were good about trying to solve stuff on their own, but I probably averaged one after-hours call every other day or so, including in the middle of the night. A lot of those calls were just a minute or so, but I do not miss that part of the job.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

swickles posted:

The nice thing about anesthesia is that once I get my patients out of the OR, they aren't my responsibility, so I never get called at home. All calls and emails are either about scheduling or some broad change in policy.

Yes, this and the 15 weeks a year of vacation.

My buddy is finally living the good life, albeit after 13 years of waiting.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Intruder posted:

Well my point was you have more of a stake in the company than "I work for them"

Oh, mos def

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Flikken posted:

I loving hate you.

Oh man. I haven't even gotten into the extra week of vacation I get this year on top of all the comp time. Get a union folks. It's great!

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

im laughing at this image

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Mel Mudkiper posted:

oh poo poo tell us trucker stories

we want trucker stories
Heading south on I-5 in Southern Oregon / far Northern California, there is a scenic view exit where you can take some lovely distant pictures of Mt Shasta rising alone over the plain. While driving towards it, as the mountain looms ever closer, there is a small hill and the only real civilization around, with a Flying J truck stop and some fast food places. Be sure to stop there, because it's the place to buy a "I :h: WEED California" tee shirt.

Yes there is a town called Weed CA and they lean into and it's right at the foot of an enormous picturesque mountain.

Get your "I :h: BEAVER Utah" shirts along I-15 in the middle of fuckall at yet another Flying J.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jan 2, 2019

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Spent my first two years in manufacturing as the engineer in charge of a few different product families which required being on-call 24/7 to answer questions. The people who called were good about trying to solve stuff on their own, but I probably averaged one after-hours call every other day or so, including in the middle of the night. A lot of those calls were just a minute or so, but I do not miss that part of the job.

I was a manufacturing engineer, but moved back to design. I do not miss getting support requests from third shift that required remoting in to end of line test equipment, and after a long troubleshooting session, realizing they just read the bill of materials wrong.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

weed is a sick band

if you're in california do you have to run the 17 between san jose and santa cruz? that's gotta be terrifying in a truck

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

CannonFodder posted:

Heading south on I-5 in Southern Oregon / far Northern California, there is a scenic view exit where you can take some lovely distant pictures of Mt Shasta rising alone over the plain. While driving towards it, as the mountain looms ever closer, there is a small hill and the only real civilization around, with a Flying J truck stop and some fast food places. Be sure to stop there, because it's the place to buy a "I :h: WEED California" tee shirt.

I-5 narrowly missed out on being routed through the much more scenic US 97 there, which is kind of a shame.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Week or two back I'm driving in the middle lane slowly coming up on a truck in the right lane. Just as I'm approaching its bumper, I catch a glimpse of a car coming in on an onramp that's cutting the truck off while going like 30 mph slower at least and see the truck about to panic shift into my lane.

Luckily I just shot my eyes to the rear view and was able to cleanly move into the fast lane, but I'm pretty sure if I die in the next twenty years it'll likely be to a truck turning me into a red smear.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
^^^^ Thanks for being aware, I hate that poo poo too. The worst is when I'm leaving enough space in front of me, the person on the onramp is getting right up to the road and the space I have left, then I watch them look over their shoulder while hitting the brakes. THE GAP IS RIGHT THERE

hifi posted:

weed is a sick band

if you're in california do you have to run the 17 between san jose and santa cruz? that's gotta be terrifying in a truck
Looking at a map, that road looks pucker-riffic. That might be a road that doesn't allow 53' trailers, California does that a lot.

Also I don't go to California anymore but I fondly remember seeing Mt Shasta like that. I also distinctly remember all the goddamn traffic from LA to San Bernardino. That's why I won't be back in a truck.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jan 2, 2019

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

CannonFodder posted:

As a trucker I don't have to respond to emails for poo poo, but if I'm "under dispatch" like I am today I have to keep my phone handy for any text or calls. Last Wednesday my boss called to see if I wanted to pick up some extra work but I had a long day of watching movies with my brother in law so I cancelled out. If he calls today I'll go in.

My boss is the guy juggling texts and emails from Pittsburgh and Charlotte and blah blah

What sort of trucking do you do? Long haul? I work for an ocean freight company that moves a shitton of containers so I'm curious if you've moved any of our stuff.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

hifi posted:

A new setup for the OU Sucks punchline.

E: Walmart got a patent for tracking biometrics through your shopping cart for "health reasons" https://www.retaildive.com/news/walmart-files-patent-for-stress-tracking-cart-handle/538495/

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail
my stress levels in walmart are always Maximum because its too crowded constantly

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Intruder posted:

OK yea, fair enough. I guess I get really angry about those sort of demands from companies, and see it as another intrusion into our personal time. If you have an ownership stake, or are very high level management, then that equation changes significantly.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Joey Freshwater posted:

What sort of trucking do you do? Long haul? I work for an ocean freight company that moves a shitton of containers so I'm curious if you've moved any of our stuff.

FedEx Ground Doubles linehaul from SC to Dallas to Florida, two loops on a regular week, driving team so the truck keeps moving.

If you have containers going into Savannah then some of those containers get emptied into other warehouses and then sent to FedEx and I sometimes take those trailers up to Spartanburg or Charlotte.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jan 2, 2019

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Went into work this morning super chill.

After scheduling meetings, it's panic time again.

Go go crazy work schedules.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Oh good, mere hours after getting all of my various applications and files open and ready to go a mandatory restart message pops up on my work computer because of newly installed software. Joy

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Shamelessly stolen from D&D

https://twitter.com/urvillageidiot/status/1080377410267172865

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

hifi posted:

Time to build a wall