Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Ingmar terdman posted:

Lolling at that old clone wars interview someone posted George owns

Love the idea of George just occasionally poking his head in the writers room and going "what's up you fucken nerds?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Captain Jesus posted:

I enjoy TFA more after seeing TLJ. It has some good character moments and slightly less terrible humor than TLJ. I also enjoy the music. It feels more like a Star Wars movie than TLJ. I'm aware that this is a very shallow analysis but I learned to settle for very little when it comes to Star Wars sequels.

A big reason TLJ was bad was because it was built on a foundation of poo poo thanks to Abrams and TFA and attempted to course correct into something interesting. I mean, it course corrected into an iceberg, but still, I wilö not fault Johnson for not playing it safe like Abrams

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

As with, like, Jurassic World, it’s competent enough that people don’t actively hate it - but it’s also a huge mess of reshoots. Boyega’s scenes with Rey were one of the big targets of the reshoots, which is why the FN character doesn’t really work - despite being the protagonist.

I remember you roughly reconstructing the kids' edited story arch in Jurassic World, do you think you could do the same for FN's?

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

General Dog posted:

Love the idea of George just occasionally poking his head in the writers room and going "what's up you fucken nerds?"

"Shut the gently caress up about Plo Koon!"

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Guy A. Person posted:

I remember you roughly reconstructing the kids' edited story arch in Jurassic World, do you think you could do the same for FN's?

FN’s arc, on paper, is that he’s an Stormtrooper who’s done terrible things and quits for selfish reasons - he’s a coward and a liar. But in the process of living the lie, lying to Rey, he grows to become a heroic character.

Maz’s bar is blatantly the most heavily-reshot part of the film - which is something they‘ve actually been surprisingly open about. It believe that in the original version, FN and Rey have a fight in Maz’s bar - presumably over the whole ‘lying about being in the Resistance’ thing - which is why they split up. Rey is then captured, and FN must redeem himself by rescuing her. (Leia was going to give the lightsaber to FN and send him on the mission, as a sort of formal induction into the Resistance.)

In the actual film, FN is kinda innately good and just lacks self-esteem.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

It is crazy how little Finn being an ex-Stormtrooper ever matters, beyond it serving a few very basic plot functions (giving the Resistance extremely rudimentary info on Starkiller base)

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Wheat Loaf posted:

Honestly, the thing that most endeared me to George Lucas is his thinly-veiled disdain for Star Wars fans.

However, the one thing that still annoys me about him is how he always beats around the bush about how much he hates the new movies. I can't really understand why he isn't more straight with people who ask him in interviews and what have you. It's not like he has an active mainstream directing career that people will conspire to derail. I mean, the man is a multi-billionaire, he can write his own ticket if he so desires. Just say you don't like them, Lucas, you're hardly in the minority on it and it would probably be the final thing you need to do to turn everybody else around on the prequels.

While the rest of us poor bastards are still climbing the mountain, George has freed himself of Arguing About Star Wars.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Hodgepodge posted:

Awkward dialogue? In my Star Wars?

That was supposed to be a Lucas problem. Lucas has a lot of problems, he's a mediocre director and he's not great at writing details, but he also has a lot of strengths that helped carry Star Wars. The prequels were bad but people still like the universe and lore surrounding them, the games, books, spin-off shows, etc. If we don't get his positives (he would never have had that TFA->TLJ mess where the movies were barely connected) but we still get to have all of the lovely dialogue and bad writing, then why give a poo poo about the new movies?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Mediocre director ? On what criteria.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Wheat Loaf posted:

It is unlikely, because the prequels were very popular in their time, but the sequels are very unpopular now.

Going to have to question this retcon of what I lived through. The prequels were popular in what way? Among fans? Having been the admin of a popular Star Wars forum at the time, I can unfortunately state that wasn't really the case. There was just as much bitching back then. The only difference was there was no social media to amplify things. All the same complaints about the Prequels were being made back then, it's only that in the last decade or so that most of the young fans at that time are now adults and giving them the meme treatment.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

If you can't handle George at his worst, you don't deserve him at his best.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah I think everyone here agrees Star Wars is not popular with Star Wars fans.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

euphronius posted:

Mediocre director ? On what criteria.

He managed to get a wooden performance out of Samuel L Jackson.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yes. That’s what he was going for.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

So your criticism is “Lucas got the intended performances from his actors”. Ok.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah the prequels are poo poo but Lucas intended them to be so it's fine. By the way have you heard of Death of the Author?

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Just because you try to do something doesn't make it a good idea.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You jumped from “intended a wooden performance from one actor” to “intended the movies to be poo poo”

That’s not very honest.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Jackson isn’t even “wooden” in episode three when he is executing an overthrow of the state to save the Jedi. He’s pretty emotional at the end.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

euphronius posted:

You jumped from “intended a wooden performance from one actor” to “intended the movies to be poo poo”

That’s not very honest.

No, you just read into things in weird ways. Nothing I said was inconsistent. Lucas failed to get performances out of his actors that played to their strengths.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

NovemberMike posted:

No, you just read into things in weird ways. Nothing I said was inconsistent. Lucas failed to get performances out of his actors that played to their strengths.

is your criteria of “good directing” to bend the movie to people’s expectations of typecasted actors.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

euphronius posted:

is your criteria of “good directing” to bend the movie to people’s expectations of typecasted actors.

No

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Teek posted:

Going to have to question this retcon of what I lived through. The prequels were popular in what way? Among fans? Having been the admin of a popular Star Wars forum at the time, I can unfortunately state that wasn't really the case. There was just as much bitching back then. The only difference was there was no social media to amplify things. All the same complaints about the Prequels were being made back then, it's only that in the last decade or so that most of the young fans at that time are now adults and giving them the meme treatment.

I think the prequels had a 60:40 like:dislike ratio. For the sequels I feel as though it is about the same in the other direction. That's just the impression I get, so I won't have some singular piece of hard evidence I can point to if someone Jivjovs out and starts posting "[citation needed]" at me.

In any event, I believe is also true that most people who most dislike the new movies didn't like the prequels either.

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Yeah the prequels are poo poo but Lucas intended them to be so it's fine. By the way have you heard of Death of the Author?

People used to think they were poo poo until it was discovered they were actually good.

It happened in the previous incarnation of this thread some years ago. I watched it happen. People were shocked. They thought mr. Plinkett settled the question but then other people disagreed. Heresy! How can it be? I actually don’t know.

Some people still can’t get over the fact that the canon has changed and prequels are good now. Prequel haters are nothing but a shameful minority now.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Teek posted:

Everything about this paragraph made me lol.

Who cares what fans think? Especially those that visit forums dedicated to their chosen obsession?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Captain Jesus posted:

People used to think they were poo poo until it was discovered they were actually good.

It happened in the previous incarnation of this thread some years ago. I watched it happen. People were shocked. They thought mr. Plinkett settled the question but then other people disagreed. Heresy! How can it be? I actually don’t know.

Some people still can’t get over the fact that the canon has changed and prequels are good now. Prequel haters are nothing but a shameful minority now.

I refuse to believe that people have come around on Attack of the Clones. It has like a 54% on metacritic.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Why was Phasma an afterthought?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Colostomy Bag posted:

Why was Phasma an afterthought?

She wasn't

It was marketing that hyped her up as something other than a female Boba Fett

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Ingmar terdman posted:

Lolling at that old clone wars interview someone posted George owns

I still can't get over the time he roasted some uncomprehending doofus of a LucasArts employee in pretty much the same way with that "Darth Icky/Darth Insanius" bit, and then the nerd news media breathlessly reported it as "George Lucas is insane."

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Captain Jesus posted:

A couple people posted screen grabs of the prequels with lines on them made in photoshop, and said "THIS MAKES A GREAT MOVIE!" over and over again until everyone started agreeing with them just to get them to shut the gently caress up.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Cnut the Great posted:

I still can't get over the time he roasted some uncomprehending doofus of a LucasArts employee in pretty much the same way with that "Darth Icky/Darth Insanius" bit, and then the nerd news media breathlessly reported it as "George Lucas is insane."

"Darth Icky" is what Savage Opress demands to be called in the bedroom

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

sassassin posted:

Who cares what fans think? Especially those that visit forums dedicated to their chosen obsession?

The post was questioning a point Wheat Loaf was trying to make. I made no argument about whether we should care what fans think, merely contextualizing some imagined glory days of fandom. Fans complain, fans praise. Public complains, Public praise. Critics complain, critics praise. You'll get a mix of all, with people adjusting these values on their own whims. What was once maligned gets more rose tinted as the years go on, to various degrees.

OT release had word of mouth and public discussion. PT had the same with the newly added internet message boards. ST now has all that along with social media. Generally people who are having ongoing discussions about the films online are fans in some ways, even if they seem to hate watch them. Whatever were the old complaints begin to fall away as new reasons to bitch, both real and imagined, miraculously emerge.

So the old complaints about ewoks and bad acting gets replaced in the PT release era with complaints about bad jokes, bad acting and stereotypes. This then later falls away to complaints about SJWs, bad acting and character assassinations.

Teek fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jan 2, 2019

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

euphronius posted:

Jackson isn’t even “wooden” in episode three when he is executing an overthrow of the state to save the Jedi. He’s pretty emotional at the end.

My favorite RLM theory is that George Lucas only hired Samuel L. Jackson--an actor who despite his Pulp Fiction following was hardly a box office draw--to boost ticket sales to one of the most anticipated film releases in the history of the medium. According to Mike Stoklasa, it couldn't possibly be the case that Lucas simply liked him and thought he would be good in the role, because everyone knows Jackson is only capable of playing loud, angry men who constantly shout "motherfucker."

Also, Jackson is cool because on one of those behind-the-scenes featurettes on the DVDs about working with green screen, after a bunch of clips of actors somberly talking about how difficult it all is and how much of a challenge such things are for a professional actor, Jackson comes on and is just like, "It's easy man, didn't you ever play make-believe as a child?"

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jan 2, 2019

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
it's also impossible, of course, that an actor would want to be in a Star Wars movie

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Bleck posted:

it's also impossible, of course, that an actor would want to be in a Star Wars movie

Jackson actually got cast because he was being interviewed for some other movie and mentioned that he would love to be in the new Star Wars. Next thing he knew he got a call from the casting director.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The only good thing about Samuel L. Jackson being in Star Wars was the friendship bond that happened with John Boyega. They are both really good people.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yeah I swear I remember that Jackson specifically wanted to be in Star Wars and was really excited and the purple lightsaber was his idea etc.

The RLM reviews were pretty funny for the time but it is so creepy how people see the most random joke points in them as gospel

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It's cool that Jackson was in Star Wars, but disappointing that his strengths as an actor weren't utilized at all and he was barely in the three movies.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What are his strengths as an actor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

euphronius posted:

What are his strengths as an actor.

-Bombastic
-Angry
-Says the word