Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I'm going to attempt to get into Splatoon 2. It's been sitting around for way too long.

:synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

How many inches are in a second?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

pixaal posted:

It depends on how fast you thrust.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Gripweed posted:

There's a new game coming for the Switch in the River City Ransom/Super Dodgeball series

I want Kunio in Smash with an alternate Alex skin

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

pixaal posted:

is this like a light-inches thing we're talking here, because that would be a very large number!

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

pixaal posted:

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Over There posted:

I'm going to attempt to get into Splatoon 2. It's been sitting around for way too long.

You come at the right time with the Frost Fest starting this weekend.

Incidentally check the thread by yours truly.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

You come at the right time with the Frost Fest starting this weekend.

Incidentally check the thread by yours truly.

name checks out

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

are river city ransom and super dodgeball the same series

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
They're more broadly the Kunio-kun series

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Super No Vacancy posted:

Yes, as well as Crash N The Boys Street Challenge, and some Japan-only feudal-themed fighting RPG.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Super No Vacancy posted:

I don't think they were marketed that way at all outside of Japan. Both are based on the same manga. I only know of this from someone mentioning it in this thread probably 6 months ago. Giant list of every game in the series on wikipedia Most are JP only.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

How are they connected to double dragon? The dragons are the 2nd to last bosses in River City Ransom.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Yes, as well as Crash N The Boys Street Challenge, and some Japan-only feudal-themed fighting RPG.

What?!

I want to play this!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

bushisms.txt posted:

How are they connected to double dragon? The dragons are the 2nd to last bosses in River City Ransom.

Asked and answered

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Asked and answered

Just looked this up, same dev, different publishers? Haven't seen DD labeled as kunio though

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

apparently double dragon II was a kunio game in japan that got rebranded for the west? like mario 2 style?

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

a7m2 posted:

There's so much post game content in Odyssey, it's nuts.

It's like almost half the game, it's crazy, some of the most fun moons to get are only available after you 'beat' it.

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt
I’ve never played any of the previous smash games but I’m finding myself quite tempted by this one on the switch.
Is there much to do in the game solo? I don’t know anyone else who’d be super interested in it so multiplayer would probably be online only.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Luxury Tent Carpet posted:

I’ve never played any of the previous smash games but I’m finding myself quite tempted by this one on the switch.
Is there much to do in the game solo? I don’t know anyone else who’d be super interested in it so multiplayer would probably be online only.

I've only played single player and gotten about 30 or so hours.

It's good.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Over There posted:

I picked it up this weekend too. I only played one match but it seems fun and the painting mechanic lets you be helpful to your team really fast even if you can't shot the man

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Luxury Tent Carpet posted:

I never played any Smash games before it and it's really fun. The adventure mode is interesting and becomes a puzzle game trying to figure out a loadout that will win you the tough fights. Classic mode is fun to just pick up and play. Me and my wife enjoy getting our asses handed to us by Kirby and a couple of anime characters in the Team Battle.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

EmmyOk posted:

I picked it up this weekend too. I only played one match but it seems fun and the painting mechanic lets you be helpful to your team really fast even if you can't shot the man

In fact you lose when there's too much shoot man and not enough paint.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

pixaal posted:

1212 inches since a second is a measurement of distance on globe. :eng101:

Note that this distance does change with distance from the equator. You'll probably want to be close to one of the poles for a 15 second pecker.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Over There posted:

In fact you lose when there's too much shoot man and not enough paint.

I could never get past feeling like matches were 100% decided in the last twenty to thirty seconds, though I'm sure that's absolutely untrue

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Ciaphas posted:

I could never get past feeling like matches were 100% decided in the last twenty to thirty seconds, though I'm sure that's absolutely untrue

The worst is when someone on your team is AFK

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

I'd say to some degree it's not false. Maps are divided into two equal camps and a middle no man's land that in theory swaps hands between the two sides. An aggressive team could easily take that and make strong incursions into another teams end, but all it takes is them being wiped all at once to lose that advantage. In general you have some give and take in that central area, before someone makes a decisive strike at the end. That said, the same thing can be said about a lot of competitions, they're decided at the end only because that's when the match actually ends.

(I realize how dumb that sounds having written it out)

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

So having picked up a Switch again (previous one stolen) after about 6 months, I finally decided to see what was so cool about amiibos. I've been reading about amiibo cards/pogs/something or other that people make for amiibos that are no longer in circulation. Is this an actual thing? Is it :filez: to talk about? Should I go to the homebrew thread?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Yestermoment posted:

So having picked up a Switch again (previous one stolen) after about 6 months, I finally decided to see what was so cool about amiibos. I've been reading about amiibo cards/pogs/something or other that people make for amiibos that are no longer in circulation. Is this an actual thing? Is it :filez: to talk about? Should I go to the homebrew thread?

Basically people program writable nfc chips with the amiibo data so they can make them. I did that for BOTW. You can find people selling them on Etsy for example. I also bought this thing for like 20 bucks that has a re-writable disc thing so you can 'make' whatever you want.

edit: I get the idea behind Amiibos but it's dumb to lock content (that's already on the disc) behind a toy that you pay scalper prices for.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Jose Oquendo posted:

Basically people program writable nfc chips with the amiibo data so they can make them. I did that for BOTW. You can find people selling them on Etsy for example. I also bought this thing for like 20 bucks that has a re-writable disc thing so you can 'make' whatever you want.

edit: I get the idea behind Amiibos but it's dumb to lock content (that's already on the disc) behind a toy that you pay scalper prices for.

I was under the impression that any Amiibo-accessed content was somehow legitimately accessed via gameplay, albeit maybe not easily. Is that not the case?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Jose Oquendo posted:

Yeah, I’d buy some of the amiibo stuff as DLC but I don’t need any plastic crap taking up room in my apartment and I don’t want to pay triple MSRP because they sold out in thirty seconds.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I was under the impression that any Amiibo-accessed content was somehow legitimately accessed via gameplay, albeit maybe not easily. Is that not the case?

It varies by game, but no there are lots of them that have Amiibo exclusive stuff. BOTW has a bunch of Amiibo exclusive outfits for instance.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

As mentioned, BOTW is a great example. You can only get Epona via an Amiibo. There's costumes and weapons that are only accessible this way as well.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
You can use TagMo on Android with a Datel Power Tag, that's probably the easiest solution. Easier to do on the go, much as I like my overlarge Amiibo collection.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Yeah that Power Tag thing is what I have. I didn't know you could do it with a phone. I just hook it up to my computer. They have a Windows and a MacOS client.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Regy Rusty posted:

It varies by game, but no there are lots of them that have Amiibo exclusive stuff. BOTW has a bunch of Amiibo exclusive outfits for instance.

Not just outfits, BOTW has a Wolf Link companion that can only be unlocked via Amiibo, and the only way to improve it's stats is by playing TP:HD on a Wii U and saving your progress to the Amiibo.

There are no other companions in the game so the mechanic is completely gated behind the Amiibo, and you need to buy another game on another console to take full advantage of it.

amiibos are dumb

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

That's amazing. I played BOTW on Wii U so it didn't even dawn on me that Switch players would have to drop hundreds of dollars just for that.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Amiibos are cool tchotchkes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Jose Oquendo posted:

Yeah that Power Tag thing is what I have. I didn't know you could do it with a phone. I just hook it up to my computer. They have a Windows and a MacOS client.

Yeah, they added it to Tagmo a while back. You have to use a brand new one or reset it with a special bin they have available.