Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manifisto

I never understood the deal with the three rings. they were created, what, with sauron's advice/technology, or just sort of concurrent to the other rings? but the elves somehow managed to keep the three from being "entangled" with the one ring or whatever? I mean if the one ring could control the wearers of the three like with the wringwraiths/the nine, wouldn't sauron have used those capabilities in the "war of the last alliance" where isildur cut off sauron's ring finger?

"one ring to rule them all" sure sounds like it should be able to control the three . . .

ty nesamdoom!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoldFrankensteinMir

Much thanks for all the thoughtful Tolkien posts, I am greatly educated. I still think the old man could have been clearer about his heavy's goals and limitations, it's always been the glaring flaw in the story as far as I'm concerned.

And don't tell me it's just JRR's style- Smaug is a fully realized, fantastic villain whose goals (pile o' treasure please) and shortcomings (shoulda smashed that burglar when you had the chance you narcissist) are central to the conflict.

Jaded Burnout

what do you call a lotr and game of thrones mashup?

a mordor of crows

Manifisto

Manifisto posted:

I never understood the deal with the three rings. they were created, what, with sauron's advice/technology, or just sort of concurrent to the other rings? but the elves somehow managed to keep the three from being "entangled" with the one ring or whatever? I mean if the one ring could control the wearers of the three like with the wringwraiths/the nine, wouldn't sauron have used those capabilities in the "war of the last alliance" where isildur cut off sauron's ring finger?

"one ring to rule them all" sure sounds like it should be able to control the three . . .

"what's the deal with the three rings anyway?" :jerry:

Jaded Burnout

Manifisto posted:

elbes be mad powerful yo. it worked on everyone else

vanisher

I may not have all the info but I think how it went down is that the elves made the 3 rings first, and they were "never touched" by sauron and remained untainted. He created all the rings for men and dwarves and secretly made a master ring.

vanisher

Like a hotel with that little card the maids carry.

One card to rule them all

xcheopis

Also, the Book Barn has a Tolkien thread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3532243

Everywhere, everyone is red and green
I gotta lust for glory and a tape machine
I'm living out Frank Coppola's dreams
Outta my mind, I'm feelin' mean

glowing-fish

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

vanisher posted:

This is a good post.

Maybe it makes folks invisible because it entangles them to the world, but because they are not Maiar or whatever they get pulled into it entirely.

Some long post goes here about Tom Bombadill being a neat guy.

The real reason the ring makes people invisible? Because in The Hobbit, Tolkien had no idea what he was writing, and it making people invisible just worked to move the story forward.

In the books? The ring gives people a link to the "supernatural" realm. Which equals invisibility.

So, about Chile and Tolkien: I was thinking of pointing out that I have seen a couple of people wearing shirts of the niche death metal band "Amon Amarth" (Sindarin for "Mount Doom"), and that I have forgotten that seeing people wearing t-shirts of niche death metal bands is not common in the rest of the world, but that in Chile, yeah, you can just walk around and see middle aged dads wearing t-shirts like that, walking around with their kids. I thought it was a tangental point, and then I went out to buy some cheese, and what did I see? A Chilean dad out with his family wearing an Amon Amarth t-shirt.

Ginette Reno

How Doers get more done

Manifisto posted:

Basically when Sauron put on the ring and claimed mastery the elves sensed/heard it from afar and said nope gently caress you and took off their rings rather than get dominated by Sauron.

So during the War of the Last Alliance the Elves hid their rings and didn't use them since Sauron with the one would have been able to dominate them if they had. During Fellowship et al they were able to use them safely since Sauron didn't have the one. Of course once the ring was destroyed, their powers were lost too.

Manifisto

Ginette Reno posted:

Basically when Sauron put on the ring and claimed mastery the elves sensed/heard it from afar and said nope gently caress you and took off their rings rather than get dominated by Sauron.

So during the War of the Last Alliance the Elves hid their rings and didn't use them since Sauron with the one would have been able to dominate them if they had. During Fellowship et al they were able to use them safely since Sauron didn't have the one. Of course once the ring was destroyed, their powers were lost too.

ah okay this makes sense

it is very important that my fictional fantasy universes are internally consistent you see

ty nesamdoom!

Hogge Wild

by FactsAreUseless

haha, hadn't seen this post when i posted an invite in that thread

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Hieronymous Alloy

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

vanisher posted:

I may not have all the info but I think how it went down is that the elves made the 3 rings first, and they were "never touched" by sauron and remained untainted. He created all the rings for men and dwarves and secretly made a master ring.

They we're basically three workstations that weren't turned on when the virus hit the server. Then Isildur took down the server and people used the workstations for a while because they thought the infected server was permanently down. If the infected server comes back up, though, badness.

alnilam

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

They we're basically three workstations that weren't turned on when the virus hit the server. Then Isildur took down the server and people used the workstations for a while because they thought the infected server was permanently down. If the infected server comes back up, though, badness.

lol

Hogge Wild

by FactsAreUseless

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

Much thanks for all the thoughtful Tolkien posts, I am greatly educated. I still think the old man could have been clearer about his heavy's goals and limitations, it's always been the glaring flaw in the story as far as I'm concerned.

And don't tell me it's just JRR's style- Smaug is a fully realized, fantastic villain whose goals (pile o' treasure please) and shortcomings (shoulda smashed that burglar when you had the chance you narcissist) are central to the conflict.

Sauron wanted mastery on all things, unlike his master Morgoth who wanted to destroy the world. His limitations were that he couldn't anymore take beautiful shapes to fool people with. It's not made very clear in the movies, but he isn't a lighthouse, and is istead some kind of nine-fingered monster. And I think that he's a bit of a coward because he stopped fighting in the front ranks. Though he could also just be too weak after the Numenor sank. I mean a group of few wizards kicked him out of his Mirkwood flat.

Hogge Wild

by FactsAreUseless

hi!

do you have any pets? and have done any cool crimes?

Hogge Wild

by FactsAreUseless

Ginette Reno posted:

hi and welcome to you too!

post your pets and criminal history

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Manifisto posted:

ah okay this makes sense

it is very important that my fictional fantasy universes are internally consistent you see

tbf though thats why tolkien was so good at what he did, his world building is amazing

Hieronymous Alloy

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Hogge Wild posted:

hi!

do you have any pets? and have done any cool crimes?

I have two dogs but one is very sick right now so kinda stressed about that :fret:

edit: the dog is getting medications and two vienna sausages a day full of pills and is very happy in the moment, i'm just worrying =(

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jan 2, 2019

Hogge Wild

by FactsAreUseless

I have two dogs but one is very sick right now so kinda stressed about that :fret:

edit: the dog is getting medications and two vienna sausages a day full of pills and is very happy in the moment, i'm just worrying =(

sorry to hear that the dog is sick

would you mind posting pics of the dogs?

Ginette Reno

How Doers get more done

Hogge Wild posted:

hi and welcome to you too!

post your pets and criminal history

2 dogs and a cat.

Hogge Wild

by FactsAreUseless

Ginette Reno posted:

2 dogs and a cat.

pics please

BoldFrankensteinMir

Also very sorry to hear about sick pups, please know our sympathies are with you and your family in this difficult time, friend.

While we're talking about fantasy and magic, I am reading an amazing book I'd like to recommend to anyone who is a fan of fantasy: The Turnip Princess and Other Newly Discovered Fairy Tales by Franz Xaver von Schonwerth. In 2009 a historian found 500 Bavarian folktales von Schonwerth recorded from interviews in the 1850's, basically parallel to the Brothers Grimm, and they are just as bizarre and wonderful as all those classics but brand new. It's been such a glorious read it makes me want to dust off my old fabulist persona...

Hogge Wild

by FactsAreUseless
https://i.imgur.com/CXB99bZ.mp4

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

sweet geek swag

Adjust lasers to FUN!

On the subject of the rings making halflings invisible: basically the ring gives you power relative to the power you already have. Hobbits really only have being all sneaky and hidden as their special thing, so the ring makes them better at it by making them invisible. If you tried to use the ring to dominate others you wouldn't be invisible.

vanisher

Great analogy

Jaded Burnout

I love that we're somehow having the same conversation in the CCCC UK megathread

Hogge Wild

by FactsAreUseless

sweet geek swag posted:

On the subject of the rings making halflings invisible: basically the ring gives you power relative to the power you already have. Hobbits really only have being all sneaky and hidden as their special thing, so the ring makes them better at it by making them invisible. If you tried to use the ring to dominate others you wouldn't be invisible.

Yes, cf: Samwise the Strong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am-piARxy4U

His thought turned to the Ring, but there was no comfort there, only dread and danger. No sooner had he come in sight of Mount Doom, burning far away, than he was aware of a change in his burden. As it drew near the great furnaces where, in the deeps of time, it had been shaped and forged, the Ring’s power grew, and it became more fell, untameable save by some mighty will. As Sam stood there, even though the Ring was not on him but hanging by its chain about his neck, he felt himself enlarged, as if he were robed in a huge distorted shadow of himself, a vast and ominous threat halted upon the walls of Mordor. He felt that he had from now on only two choices: to forbear the Ring, though it would torment him; or to claim it, and challenge the Power that sat in its dark hold beyond the valley of shadows. Already the Ring tempted him, gnawing at his will and reason. Wild fantasies arose in his mind; and he saw Samwise the Strong, Hero of the Age, striding with a flaming sword across the darkened land, and armies flocking to his call as he marched to the overthrow of Barad-dûr. And then all the clouds rolled away, and the white sun shone, and at his command the vale of Gorgoroth became a garden of flowers and trees and brought forth fruit. He had only to put on the Ring and claim it for his own, and all this could be.

In that hour of trial it was the love of his master that helped most to hold him firm; but also deep down in him lived still unconquered his plain hobbit-sense: he knew in the core of his heart that he was not large enough to bear such a burden, even if such visions were not a mere cheat to betray him. The one small garden of a free gardener was all his need and due, not a garden swollen to a realm; his own hands to use, not the hands of others to command.

‘And anyway all these notions are only a trick,’ he said to himself. ‘He’d spot me and cow me, before I could so much as shout out. He’d spot me, pretty quick, if I put the Ring on now, in Mordor. Well, all I can say is: things look as hopeless as a frost in spring. Just when being invisible would be really useful, I can’t use the Ring! And if ever I get any further, it’s going to be nothing but a drag and a burden every step. So what’s to be done?’

He was not really in any doubt. He knew that he must go down to the gate and not linger any more. With a shrug of his shoulders, as if to shake off the shadow and dismiss the phantoms, he began slowly to descend.

Hogge Wild fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jan 3, 2019

Manifisto

Luvcow posted:

tbf though thats why tolkien was so good at what he did, his world building is amazing

I think you'll find the world building in my veronica mars extended universe fanfiction is also pretty amazing. I mean, I'm not saying it's better than tolkien . . . but I'm not not saying that, if you get me.

ty nesamdoom!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Oh my god

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Still hyperventilating over dogs, too day, at thirty four

BoldFrankensteinMir

I love Sam. 'Nah, it's probably a trick, and even if not... just nah'.

Keep your own garden... I wonder if that's a knowing wink to Voltaire.

FluffieDuckie

doxies best dogs

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

roomforthetuna

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Manifisto posted:

"what's the deal with the three rings anyway?" :jerry:
They go in the three seashells.

Has anyone else here read the Last Ringbearer? I enjoyed it a goodly amount. Y'can get it in an ebook format for zero moneys here.

I always enjoy a popular fantasy tale retold from the point of view of someone who isn't the chosen one. It's like what Blake's 7 is to Star Trek.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

FluffieDuckie posted:

doxies best dogs

This is the truth, I want to foster another one real bad

Scaly Haylie

both of my vape bottles broke, i want to cry and vomit :(

alnilam

this reminds me of a really good old smoobles post, itt i think. i can't find it but it went like this

get a long, little doggy *hands you a business card for a dachshund breeder*

alnilam

by "this" i mean the dach talk, not the vape thing sorry lizwiz

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Lizard Wizard posted:

both of my vape bottles broke, i want to cry and vomit :(

what happened? nic salts or concentrates for weed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie

i fixed one anyway mostly, with tape :unsmith:

hamjobs posted:

what happened? nic salts or concentrates for weed?

weeeeeed