Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That’s good, normal semi broken service will hopefully resume soon!

(I’ll throw them the drat $20 pro subscription again if they can get reliability issues sorted).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Per their Facebook, they got some new server equipment and it's got some strange traffic bottleneck that didn't show up in testing.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Happy new year!

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
I'm amazed how many different hosed-up versions of the Gremlins screen I've seen. Not even their error messages work consistently.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Anyone wanna post their end of year stats?
Here's me: https://letterboxd.com/teenage_fansub/year/2018/
I only log features. For the year I'm on 239, which is the highest I've done since signing up. Up from 164 in 2017.
Biggest week was during a film festival with 13 entries. No zero movie weeks :)
28% new releases, 90% first time watches.
Best 2018 film is probably a tie between Roma and First Reformed, worst would be Tomb Raider or The Girl In The Spider's Web.
Favourite old movie first-time-watch was Experiment In Terror.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Dec 31, 2018

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.
Sure, I'll play.

Here's my Year in Review: https://letterboxd.com/ratedargh/year/2018/

Saw only a few movies multiple times, and the last film of the year will change as my wife and I just watch movies and eat cheese on New Years Eve every year.

Tom Cruise is atop my most watched actors' list because I ran through most of the Mission: Impossible movies again.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
2018 stats: https://letterboxd.com/kenny_waste/year/2018/

That lull you see is me finding temporary employment.

The Soviet cartoon I watched twice was Lesson Not Learned

Guess which franchise I watched the entirety of this year? Go on, take a wild stab

I'd like to thank France and the short film megathread; the National Film Board of Canada; the online Japanese Animated Film Classics archive through the National Film Center, Museum of Modern Art, Tokyo; and wikipedia's "films by year" tabs for making this all possible.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Here's mine: https://letterboxd.com/darthemed/year/2018/
Not much change from the snapshot I posted in November.
Most popular film I watched this year: Get Out.
Most obscure: Little Orphan Annie's A Very Animated Christmas, which I am apparently the only person on Letterboxd to have logged. It's on Youtube in full, if anyone wants to change that.
690 films watched, 57.5 average per month, 13.3 average per week.
About 95% of my films were in English, so I'll probably try to be more international with my selections in the coming year.

Here's to enjoyable film consumption for you all in 2019!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
https://letterboxd.com/jivjov/year/2018/

I did an MCU rewatch in the leadup to Infinity War, so my "most watched" is dominated by the frequent members of that franchise. And then work became hell toward the end of the year, leading to a big lull of several 0 and 1 Film weeks.

SMP
May 5, 2009

https://letterboxd.com/smp/year/2018/

266 films watched / 22.2 per month avg / 5.1 per week avg

Around July I got into the weird habit of watching a movie almost every day and haven't stopped. Barely watched anything in the first half of the year though (I binged all of the Dragon Ball series). I also reviewed 100% of what I watched, because I wanted to stop Letterboxd from being just a gamified checklist. I'm really glad I started reading/writing reviews because it's led me to some great people on there that have pointed me to a bunch of great movies.

Bookended the year with Brawl in Cell Block 99 and Antichrist.

Most Watched: Watched (and loved) Hereditary three times, but only watched my favorite, First Reformed twice.

Best 5/5 First Watches: Inside Llewyn Davis, Phantom of the Paradise, Candyman, Texas Chainsaw 2, Halloween II (2009), Possession (1981), Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters, Eyes Wide Shut.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
https://letterboxd.com/kanleystubrick/films/diary/for/2018/

I'm too cheap to pay for Pro, but I watched 111 movies last year. The vast majority of those were during the 4 months I had Moviepass and then during the SA Halloween challenge, which burned me out on movies so bad I didn't watch anything for two months.

Started the year with The Cloverfield Paradox and ended it with A Clockwork Orange. My favorite 2018 release was Sorry to Bother You, but my best first-time-watch was either Eyes Wide Shut or A Ghost Story. Ready Player One was by far the worst thing I watched this year. Edit: Actually I forgot about Survival of the Dead. That was somehow worse than RPO.

Lester Shy fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jan 1, 2019

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

https://letterboxd.com/nroo/year/2018/

354 entries, far more than I saw last year.

From January to December I watched all the live action Godzilla films, many for the first time. So that's why my stats are dominated by Ishiro Honda and Haruo Nakajima.

See if you can find when I did the 24 hour horror marathon

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

I saw 344 films last year, way more than usual.

https://letterboxd.com/moonsmilk/year/2018

I started the year with Solaris and capped it off with The Sword of Doom.

My most watched is a tie between Annihilation and Sorry To Bother You, at 4 times each.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

My year end stats page:
https://letterboxd.com/tildeswinton/year/2018/
A ranked list of all my first watches of 2018:
https://letterboxd.com/tildeswinton/list/new-to-me-2018/

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Does Pro give you access to a filter which shows only short films? That's the only thing which would make me consider upgrading.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

There's only a filter to hide them.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

You've got The Brothers Solomon ranked higher than The Raid and that's really hurting my head.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Cos I know in this thread we all love to log and rank things, if anyone here has a few minutes available I’d appreciate it if you could check out a thread I made for a site I’m working on. It’s just in testing at the moment, but when the Oscar nominations come out we can all vote on our faves and see how we fair compared to the professionals.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3878402

Tbh it’s more wordier than it needs to be, just click the link in it and vote on last years and add to the test base. You have to sign up with a username/password but there’s no email verification crap. Thanks!

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

You've got The Brothers Solomon ranked higher than The Raid and that's really hurting my head.

I really didn't care for The Raid movies, and Brothers Solomon is hilarious.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

https://letterboxd.com/fancymike/year/2018/
383 watched, 37 of those were shorts.

If Dec 31 wasn't listed as its own week I'd have at least one for every week of the year.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
That's an impressive amount of Ferrara.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

- 355 diary entry (mostly features, but maybe 30 or so shorts as well)
- 527.4 hours
- 311 new-to-me, 44 rewatches

Stars:

Tom Cruise - 24 films
Forest Whitaker, Steve Buscemi, Tim Curry, Willem Dafoe, Nicole Kidman, and Paul Rudd - 4 films

Director:

Steven Spielberg - 5 films

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I went through a Cruise phase this year too. Watched every Mission Impossible, then I was still looking for more Cruise so I bought Jack Reacher and Oblivion on UHD. Then of course when MI: Fallout came out recently I grabbed that right away too.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

My girlfriend and I are watching his filmography. Going in order, left off on Eyes Wide Shut and got Magnolia up next. Also before we started this I had watched a couple other Cruise movies by chance earlier in the year so those got counted as well.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

TrixRabbi posted:

My girlfriend and I are watching his filmography. Going in order, left off on Eyes Wide Shut and got Magnolia up next. Also before we started this I had watched a couple other Cruise movies by chance earlier in the year so those got counted as well.

I mean, those two are his best.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

That's an impressive amount of Ferrara.

Ferrara is very good, I've enjoyed them all so far and still have several on the watchlist.

Funny thing, last year I logged 100 fewer films, but managed to see into the double digits with four directors and nine actors.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

FancyMike posted:

Ferrara is very good, I've enjoyed them all so far and still have several on the watchlist.

Funny thing, last year I logged 100 fewer films, but managed to see into the double digits with four directors and nine actors.

I'm excited to watch more of his stuff this year. I still have quite a bit left. He's great.

My biggest issue with my watching is how USA-centric it still is. Gonna make an even bigger push to watch more international films, especially African and South American films. The only thing I watched involving Africa was The African Queen.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

FancyMike posted:

Pasolini, dog.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

K. Waste posted:

Pasolini, dog.

How much of Pasolini's work is "necessary" for this? All of it? Just Salo?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Franchescanado posted:

How much of Pasolini's work is "necessary" for this? All of it? Just Salo?

Surprisingly, only The Hawks and the Sparrows

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

K. Waste posted:

Surprisingly, only The Hawks and the Sparrows

Which is on Amazon Prime. Very cool, I'll try and check both out soon. How are they as a double feature?

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

K. Waste posted:

Pasolini, dog.

It's on the list but I just rented The Funeral today so that one is next.

And since we're on less obvious Ferrara recommendations The Addiction, New Rose Hotel, and Dangerous Game are imo all essential in roughly that order.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

FancyMike posted:

It's on the list but I just rented The Funeral today so that one is next.

And since we're on less obvious Ferrara recommendations The Addiction, New Rose Hotel, and Dangerous Game are imo all essential in roughly that order.

I'm really happy you pushed me to watch The Addiction. That was a solid, fascinating film.

edit: Ms. 45 is still my favorite though, so far.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Franchescanado posted:

Which is on Amazon Prime. Very cool, I'll try and check both out soon. How are they as a double feature?

Excellent, really, but in a largely poetic sense. Ninetto Davoli was in a lot of Pasolini's films, including Hawks where he played the young sidekick to Totò's older man character. In Pasolini, Ninetto Davoli now plays himself being cast in the film that Pasolini is developing after finishing Salo, in which he now plays the older man, real-life Italian actor Eduardo De Filippo, and Riccaro Scamarcio now plays a young Davoli.

The film-within-a-film is a lot less overtly comic and more ponderous than Hawks, so basically while you're watching Pasolini, tangential and intertwined with it is a spiritual sequel to Hawks.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Anyone else watch both the Fyre fest docs and have Billy McFarland topping their Letterboxd stats for the year now? Is this just my weirdly specific problem?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I haven't even watched enough to have a 2019 stats page yet :(

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

So far my 2019 is:

- Diva
- A Star is Born
- Wavelength
- Chuck and Buck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I'm pretty happy with my movie year so far.

https://letterboxd.com/mikeycp/year/2019/