Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

RoboRodent posted:

I am so, so tired of this talking point.

Well, it's only gonna get worse from here...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

You know it's a bad thing because the child is white and hates Democrats.

londonarbuckle
Feb 23, 2017

Jurgan posted:

Albuquerque, OTOH, is having a multi-day snowfall; I'm new in town, but apparently it's the first blizzard warning in decades.

Um, no. There are sometimes blizzards.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
its good that america leaves syria

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Democrats convinced DACA kids to give all their information to the Federal government on the promise that they would be safe but then failed to protect them when the inevitable fascist took over, AGC

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

sexpig by night posted:

I mean, same but it's a complete own goal thanks to this DNA test poo poo

Yea she goofed and needs to make some serious amends to indigenous people in general and the Cherokee in particular. Until she does she can gently caress right off as far as I’m concerned.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
You don't actually get big trophies for pointing out inaccurate comics.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

All good and well if he wants to be opposition leader for the rest of his life. :v:

Edit: change that. Opposition leader for 2 years and then plain opposition.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

oh god my first reaction was to scrutinize all of their comics and social media accounts to see if they were part of the redpanels clique

this thread has broken me

This is the weekly reminder that Ted Rall literally works for Sputnik News, the Russian propaganda organ

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I had the same thought, though I didn't check. The art style seems similar.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Aaaaaand here we go, my fist "get hosed" of the year.

Get hosed, both of you.

Gaybies nomination: first one for "Least Concealed Bigotry (Racism) in a Cartoon", second one for "Worst Gaslighter Cartoon".

Mikl fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jan 2, 2019

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Katt posted:

All good and well if he wants to be opposition leader for the rest of his life. :v:

Edit: change that. Opposition leader for 2 years and then plain opposition.

Yeah, what do you expect, him to put the country and people first over his own political career?

Mikl posted:

Aaaaaand here we go, my fist "get hosed" of the year.

Get hosed, both of you.

Use the system to flag them for the Gaybies.

Even if you change your mind, you can just edit the tag out of this post.

Fulchrum fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jan 2, 2019

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
For example, i managed to go back qnd edit this once i remembered quote is not edit.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Fulchrum posted:

For example, i managed to go back qnd edit this once i remembered quote is not edit.

Right, I forgot. Thanks for the reminder! :)

KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

Lion of Judah protect you, Jah be praised.

Jurgan posted:

Albuquerque, OTOH, is having a multi-day snowfall; I'm new in town, but apparently it's the first blizzard warning in decades. I suspect the climate might be changing.

We had a pretty decent snowfall here in El Paso and it's freezing temperatures all week. I posted that on Facebook and an old boss in Chicago commented with "global warming".

I know this guy is an extreme global warming denialist so the comment was an "if global warming then why snow?", but my relatives and friends all agreed with him because they know how global warming works, my nephew commenting "I know, it's crazy right now!"

Even more ironic is that Chicago is actually warmer than El Paso right now.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://www.indystar.com/story/opinion/columnists/varvel/2019/01/02/varvel-indystars-cartoonist-says-thank-you-and-farewell/2421781002/

:bye:

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

drat, Varvel wrote and produced movies? This sounds like a winner:

The War Within posted:

THE WAR WITHIN is a unique fantasy that takes viewers to a world that only God can see; the world of the inner man. Michael Sinclair (Brett Varvel) is a syndicated cartoonist whose dream of a perfect life is upended when tragic events transform his dream into a nightmare. The result is a war that wages within his soul which is personified by six members; Mind, Memory, Emotion, Will, Conscience, and Heart. The ensuing battle for control adversely effects his relationship with his wife Amy (Rebecca Reid) and causes Michael to doubt his faith in God. But in the midst of this spiritual test, Michael discovers that victory is found in surrender. As viewers follow the quest for answers inside of Michael, they may discover their own war within.

Edit: Ahahahahahahahahaha! Jesus Christ.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekbkmnoxRvo

Tobermory fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jan 2, 2019

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013

For some reason that second panel really made me think of Vault Boy.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Skeleton Claw appears safe

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Varvel's smug-rear end "I'm just a wacky dude with conservative politics!" middle-manager aesthetic made/makes me want to brand him with a cast-iron skillet. Hope you get hit by a bus leaving the Indy Star office, wingnut.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Fulchrum posted:

Yeah, what do you expect, him to put the country and people first over his own political career?

Purposely sabotaging his chances of helping the country just so he can stand in the ashes and go "told you so" doesn't help anyone either.

The fact is that enough voters still want a good Brexit that you can't run a platform of no-Brexit (a whole bunch of unsafe Labour seats are also located in areas that voted leave). And you can't tell the people that a good Brexit isn't possible because both sides spent the last 2 years telling the people how they were going to do a good Brexit.

If Corbyn comes out now and says a good Brexit isn't possible then that means he was lying the whole time.

And a second referendum would probably end up with both parties promising that they could do a good Brexit yet again. Combined with the staggering amount of animosity generated against the EU through this whole Brexit disaster, the average Brit probably has a lower opinion of EU now than they did at the first referendum.

The truth is probably that the British people will have to first eat the worst that Brexit has to offer. Live with it for a few years and then Labour can campaign on rebuilding afterwards. I don't know if rejoining the EU is even remotely plausible in the next 20 years. British pride would probably prevent any party from running on that platform but maybe Labour can manually negotiate all the trade deals one at a time to restore the country to some semblance of what it was before.

You can't argue the British people into accepting that they voted wrong. Especially not before they got a chance to feel the result They have to watch their whole lives collapse around them as a result and then be given a chance to vote right. Even then you probably have to frame it in a way so they can get out of it with all their dignity. Like we're not reversing Brexit. Just improving on it slightly. Continuing Brexit on its natural course for a better society through improved foreign relations (wink loving wink)

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

RoboRodent posted:

I am so, so tired of this talking point.

Well you're in for a rough year, then.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Varvel is still making cartoons, so he's just ascending to the position of Asay, Retired rear end in a top hat.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Tobermory posted:

this guy fuckin sucks

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Tobermory posted:

This remake of Enemy sucks.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Heterosexuals got even more defensive and weird about marriage once it became clear everyone else was going to get it.

"Use God to Save Marriage" is practically a subgenre of Christian films at this point.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Tobermory posted:

So it's a lovely, lovely cross hybrid/abortion of "God's Not Dead LVIII" and "Fireproof" and "Inside Out"?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Pants Donkey posted:

Heterosexuals got even more defensive and weird about marriage once it became clear everyone else was going to get it.

"Use God to Save Marriage" is practically a subgenre of Christian films at this point.

from my experience it seems the only thing The Straights hate more than gays getting married is actually being married themselves.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Pants Donkey posted:

Varvel is still making cartoons, so he's just ascending to the position of Asay, Retired rear end in a top hat.

Is Asay still making cartoons? Even non-political ones?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Katt posted:

Purposely sabotaging his chances of helping the country just so he can stand in the ashes and go "told you so" doesn't help anyone either.

The fact is that enough voters still want a good Brexit that you can't run a platform of no-Brexit (a whole bunch of unsafe Labour seats are also located in areas that voted leave). And you can't tell the people that a good Brexit isn't possible because both sides spent the last 2 years telling the people how they were going to do a good Brexit.

If Corbyn comes out now and says a good Brexit isn't possible then that means he was lying the whole time.

And a second referendum would probably end up with both parties promising that they could do a good Brexit yet again. Combined with the staggering amount of animosity generated against the EU through this whole Brexit disaster, the average Brit probably has a lower opinion of EU now than they did at the first referendum.

The truth is probably that the British people will have to first eat the worst that Brexit has to offer. Live with it for a few years and then Labour can campaign on rebuilding afterwards. I don't know if rejoining the EU is even remotely plausible in the next 20 years. British pride would probably prevent any party from running on that platform but maybe Labour can manually negotiate all the trade deals one at a time to restore the country to some semblance of what it was before.

You can't argue the British people into accepting that they voted wrong. Especially not before they got a chance to feel the result They have to watch their whole lives collapse around them as a result and then be given a chance to vote right. Even then you probably have to frame it in a way so they can get out of it with all their dignity. Like we're not reversing Brexit. Just improving on it slightly. Continuing Brexit on its natural course for a better society through improved foreign relations (wink loving wink)

Honest question: what would a "good Brexit" even be? Literally everything about Brexit seems bad.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Honest question: what would a "good Brexit" even be? Literally everything about Brexit seems bad.

There really isn't one since the UK already had a sweetheart deal with the EU where they got all the good parts (free movement, European market) without the bad bits (the Euro, loss of economic sovereignty). The best thing they could do right now is just basically go "the 1st referendum was non binding, gently caress that, we're cancelling Brexit" without doing a 2nd referendum. Even if they leave and come back in 20 years they're not getting as good a deal as they had in the first place.

Occultatio
Aug 4, 2005

a massive toolclown who cannot stop causing problems

Vib Rib posted:

You don't actually get big trophies for pointing out inaccurate comics.

:golfclap:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

seiferguy posted:

Is Asay still making cartoons? Even non-political ones?
Nah. All his output in the politoon threads have been when he was retired from his employer but still drawing a few cartoons a week in his spare time. He then retired from cartooning altogether in 2013.

Varvel is sliding into a similar position, as he will still be uploading poo poo to Facebook.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Katt posted:

Is there a viable Corbyn successor? This seems like the optimum time for a carefully arranged, charisma-heavy generational transition.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

There is no good Brexit, but the people believe there is because their leaders on both sides told them so. May has been promising good deals forever. Corbyn has his six tests which from last I heard were 100% unrealistic and at best just serves to sink Mays lovely deals. A noble enterprise certainly but it has Corbyn implying that he and Labour may have a way to do a good Brexit if given the chance and so Brexit is given momentum by both sides as something that can be good if only the right person is at the wheel.

But no one can affect any change on the subjected without a mandate from the people and that mandate will only be giving to someone who implies they can do a good Brexit.

That mandate has to be given. That party then has to fail utterly, the reality has to come crashing down and then the other side has a chance to promise something else. Hopefully that will be Labour with some very skilled phrasing that will let them sign a deal that is EU membership in everything but name. Minus any influence on the EU as a whole.

Discendo Vox posted:

Is there a viable Corbyn successor? This seems like the optimum time for a carefully arranged, charisma-heavy generational transition.

I don't believe the current Labour vote minus the voters on the fence who are are pro-leave make up enough votes for a majority in parliament.

The Brexit process is a completely failure but the people are not yet convinced that the concept of Brexit has failed. Just that the Tories are failing to implement it properly.

Katt fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jan 2, 2019

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

sexpig by night posted:

I mean, same but it's a complete own goal thanks to this DNA test poo poo

The video was embarrassing, of course, but if you have access to alternate-universe-viewing equipment I will bet you all the dollars that in a world where Warren never made the video, Delonis drew the exact same cartoon.

Well, I suppose it wouldn’t reference “1/1024” specifically.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Huh, I guess someone was exaggerating. Still, three “historic” or “record” snows in 12 years doesn’t make me feel better.

Mellow Seas posted:

The video was embarrassing, of course, but if you have access to alternate-universe-viewing equipment I will bet you all the dollars that in a world where Warren never made the video, Delonis drew the exact same cartoon.

Well, I suppose it wouldn’t reference “1/1024” specifically.

I’m still not sure what the big deal is. Mostly people just say it was bad politics, but the people who will attack her for it would have attacked her anyway. I don’t see anything wrong with doing the DNA test to find out the truth about her heritage, since she never claimed to be a Native American herself. Some Cherokee officials complained I think because they were worried it would give the impression that Cherokee citizenship is about DNA, but she never said that, so...

I didn’t watch the video, though; maybe it was presented badly.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Jurgan posted:

I’m still not sure what the big deal is. Mostly people just say it was bad politics, but the people who will attack her for it would have attacked her anyway. I don’t see anything wrong with doing the DNA test to find out the truth about her heritage, since she never claimed to be a Native American herself. Some Cherokee officials complained I think because they were worried it would give the impression that Cherokee citizenship is about DNA, but she never said that, so...

I didn’t watch the video, though; maybe it was presented badly.

Her doing a DNA test to somehow appease the right is like if AOC was to accept that challenge to debate Ben Shapiro. Met him at a debate, won the debate and then expected Conservatives to concede the point. There was no winning by dancing to their tune.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

A "Good Brexit", in British opinion, would have been that they'd keep all the perks of being members in the EU but with none of the drawbacks; eating their cake and having it too. Get access to the free market without having to respect EU norms for the products they put on that market. Get EU funding for British projects without having to contribute to the EU budget. And so on.

But surprisingly, the EU didn't agree with any of this. This befuddled the average Briton, fortunately an explanation has been found: the EU is trying to make Britain pay for daring to recover freedom, it's trying to make an example out of it to deter others from also defecting, so it's really just a form of unfair persecution. Which is why a no-deal Brexit is preferable to Theresa May's deal. Rule Britannia!