Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
depends if the flag has a fringe or not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Powershift posted:

what are you, an expert in plant law?

Perhaps he is an arborist.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
These are the trains you share the road with

https://i.imgur.com/BN27LFa.gifv

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Holy poo poo. That guy in the oncoming car should have been driving right to the gas station to buy all the loving lottery tickets.

edit: There's even a truck stopped there presumably working on the signals.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's a Chicago train, made it easy to find:

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2018/12/26/metra-train-near-miss-mokena-crossing-gates-fail/

quote:

The video posted on Facebook also shows a Metra maintenance worker stationed at a signal bungalow across the tracks from where the officer stopped his car. Metra said the worker had arrived on the scene a few minutes before the incident, due to an unrelated issue.

Yeah right. :v:

Dude probably still trying to convince his boss he totally hadn't touched anything yet.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Solar Coaster posted:

These are the trains you share the road with

https://i.imgur.com/BN27LFa.gifv

And this is why they teach you to always assume a train is coming and to listen for the horn.

It's also why I hate "no horn zones"

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

iospace posted:

And this is why they teach you to always assume a train is coming and to listen for the horn.

It's also why I hate "no horn zones"

There's no sound in the clip, but the engineer would have been pretty negligent not blowing the horn in this instance. Anybody in the cab could have seen the gates/lights hadn't been activated. Gates are always supposed to be down 12-15 seconds from the train moving through the crossing.

What I'm saying is, quiet zones aren't going to keep an engineer from blowing their horn in an emergency.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

NoWake posted:

There's no sound in the clip, but the engineer would have been pretty negligent not blowing the horn in this instance. Anybody in the cab could have seen the gates/lights hadn't been activated. Gates are always supposed to be down 12-15 seconds from the train moving through the crossing.

What I'm saying is, quiet zones aren't going to keep an engineer from blowing their horn in an emergency.

Oh I know, but I'm assuming the engineer was blowing the horn and the truck driver failed to process that it was for this crossing

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
[joke about driving while using phone]

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

e: oops, wrong thread. still.......

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Powershift posted:

e: oops, wrong thread. still.......

e: that thing must get so dirty holy poo poo

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Snow Cone Capone posted:

e: that thing must get so dirty holy poo poo

Don't talk about Gritty that way! :v:

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Gritty doesn't go out of his way to murderize pedestrians..........does he? :ohdear:

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Not gonna lie, I would drive that. Preferably the fur would be on the inside though.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
This afternoon I was driving along a country road and had a slightly scary experience. The person in front of me was doing 80km/h on a 100 km/h road. Given there wasn’t really a safe space to overtake I hung out behind them as they gathered another couple of cars that then followed them for 10 or so k’s.
The idiot at the back of the train got the shits and overtook 3 cars in a row. As he got to me I think he attempted to hit my car but I pulled to the left and didn’t get hit but the person driving slow had their drivers side mirror sent flying by the idiot who couldn’t wait.
I attempted to catch their number plate but they where miles up the road by the time the struck driver pulled over.
I’m still slightly impressed that the guy overtaking only managed to send the mirror flying without causing a much much bigger accident on a narrow country road that is apparently capable of 100 km/h in Australia.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

5:15 this morning on my way into work, and literally the only other car I saw on my drive in was the Prius taxi that pulled out in front of me from a side street going about 6mph. The roads are a little slick this morning and I was going about 10 under the speed limit myself, but I still almost didn't have enough stopping (slowing, I guess) distance to not drive right through his bumper. He then proceeded to doriftu through two roundabouts that I didn't have any trouble with traction on, so I can only assume he's driving people around like an idiot in this weather with no winter tires.

That would have been a great inaugural video to have on my new dash cam, had I put it in the car yet.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
Happy New Year!

Now that the holidays are over, it's time to get back on the road! Saw this on my commute this morning. Rolled down my window to signal the guy he had no tire; and he didnt seem to mind. Yay!!

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

This afternoon I was driving along a country road and had a slightly scary experience. The person in front of me was doing 80km/h on a 100 km/h road. Given there wasn’t really a safe space to overtake I hung out behind them as they gathered another couple of cars that then followed them for 10 or so k’s.
The idiot at the back of the train got the shits and overtook 3 cars in a row. As he got to me I think he attempted to hit my car but I pulled to the left and didn’t get hit but the person driving slow had their drivers side mirror sent flying by the idiot who couldn’t wait.
I attempted to catch their number plate but they where miles up the road by the time the struck driver pulled over.
I’m still slightly impressed that the guy overtaking only managed to send the mirror flying without causing a much much bigger accident on a narrow country road that is apparently capable of 100 km/h in Australia.

Does Australia indicate legal passing zones via signage or dashed center lines or anything like that? Or is it entirely up to the discretion of the drivers based upon visibility and traffic?

If it's the former, and you passed multiple legal passing zones where there was no oncoming traffic and simply didn't pass, then I would be irritated if I were behind you. I've been stuck behind long trains of traffic where folks were too timid to pass despite many empty passing zones. In that situation I'll generally leap-frog and pass a couple cars at a time until I can get past the clot. Obviously this idiot decided he'd try for the whole batch and didn't have enough space.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I saw an ugly wreck this morning, got stuck waiting while emergency vehicles set up on scene and it was pretty clear to me that someone had been attempting a right turn while someone in cross traffic slammed into them.

The lane he was turning right from has a huge NO RIGHT ON RED sign right there. :downs:

The car that hit him must not have hit the brakes at all prior to impact because they were separated by at least 100 feet and the debris field covered three lanes.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

There's a right turn I make on my drive to work where lots of folks ignore the No Right on Red sign and go regardless. I always stop, and I've actually had people honk at me for not running it.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I had a guy honk at me at a red light where I was in the sole straight (my (signaled? - I intentionally did not have a turn signal on, as I was not turning) and intended direction) and right lane, at a "No Right on Red" intersection this weekend. It made me chuckle.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Winter feather benders... :rolleyes:

https://twitter.com/AMAZlNGNATURE/status/1080521714935779329

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
So many New Year's Eve DUI arrests already, and a helicopter just crashed. This year is starting out in true Florida fashion.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

sleepy.eyes posted:

So many New Year's Eve DUI arrests already, and a helicopter just crashed. This year is starting out in true Florida fashion.

From the rest of the 49 states, I hope your state does not let us down with daily headlines of absolute stupidity in 2019. We are all united and counting on you.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

https://twitter.com/AlbertBrooks/status/1080535503076761602

Can't think of a more appropriate thread to mention the passing of Super Dave Osborne. :smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6Va5rpv_Uw

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Oh poo poo, I loved that guy. :(

When he did the Norm Macdonald show a couple years ago I just about pissed myself at his faux outrage he had during 90% of the episode.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I can only imagine Bob and Albert around the dinner table when they were teenagers. Probably had their parents gasping for breath from the laughter.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Dick Trauma posted:

I can only imagine Bob and Albert around the dinner table when they were teenagers. Probably had their parents gasping for breath from the laughter.

I wonder if he was a funny teenager. I read he really didn't want anything to do with comedy since a bunch of comedians spoke at his father's funeral. He made some appearance on a local tv station as a favor for a friend and one of the Smothers brothers saw it and picked him up and then he knew he wanted to do comedy.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Does Australia indicate legal passing zones via signage or dashed center lines or anything like that? Or is it entirely up to the discretion of the drivers based upon visibility and traffic?

If it's the former, and you passed multiple legal passing zones where there was no oncoming traffic and simply didn't pass, then I would be irritated if I were behind you. I've been stuck behind long trains of traffic where folks were too timid to pass despite many empty passing zones. In that situation I'll generally leap-frog and pass a couple cars at a time until I can get past the clot. Obviously this idiot decided he'd try for the whole batch and didn't have enough space.

We do lines on the road for the most part and also add in an extra lane every now and then for overtaking. Each of the sections of road that had the correct markings where either super short or there where cars coming the other way meaning I couldn’t overtake.
The idiot who blew the mirror off the other car did it on a section of road that had double white lines so he shouldn’t have been overtaking anyone. He was also not fully in the other lane so I’m thinking the mirror hit was deliberate on his part.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

We do lines on the road for the most part and also add in an extra lane every now and then for overtaking. Each of the sections of road that had the correct markings where either super short or there where cars coming the other way meaning I couldn’t overtake.

Uh no, based on my observations the extra lane are drag strips, where everyone accelerates as fast as possible before merging back at the end in virtually the same order and returning to 30km/h under the limit :argh:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I love the days where inexplicably a collective delusion descends upon the commuters of my fair city and everyone decides to go 50 in a 60 for no goddamn reason.

Until, naturally, there's a 50 limit in a construction zone. Then they attempt to overtake at 70 :psyduck:

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHPg2Mi2roI

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

slidebite posted:

Oh poo poo, I loved that guy. :(

When he did the Norm Macdonald show a couple years ago I just about pissed myself at his faux outrage he had during 90% of the episode.

I liked when Norm or Adam said something that he found especially dumb and he just asked the off screen producer to look up the current traffic conditions for him lmao

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

That laughter is so contagious, what a riot!

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

davebo posted:

I wonder if he was a funny teenager. I read he really didn't want anything to do with comedy since a bunch of comedians spoke at his father's funeral. He made some appearance on a local tv station as a favor for a friend and one of the Smothers brothers saw it and picked him up and then he knew he wanted to do comedy.
Bob's dad died on the dias of a Friars Club roast right after his set, Bob didn’t want to do much with comedy at first.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
loving old drivers.

Was stuck on a one lane highway going 45 in a 65 because of an old.

Had an old merge onto a street behind me, get in the lane next to me and the cut me off at the next intersection. And he even flipped me off!

Revoke all olds' licenses.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

TBH that old guy sounds pretty drat cool.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

In other old people driving news, a local 73 year old ran into a tanker truck full of gas, which caught fire. Sadly he wasn't killed, thankfully no one else was either.

Autoexec.bat
Dec 29, 2012

Just one more level
Had an old stick their car halfway into oncoming traffic today trying to make a left. They started yelling in their car when they got honked at by oncoming traffic that had to nearly stop in the intersection to get around them. The road was 3 lanes each direction.

Autoexec.bat fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jan 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
More artery roads need medians to prevent dangerous lefthand turns as we clearly can't trust drivers to only attempt them when it's unambiguously safe.

Content: driving home from work Thursday, an SUV in front of me drifted into the two-way left turn lane that runs about a dozen blocks and instead of stopping for a turn, gunned it for four blocks past a dozen cars until a red light prompted them to get back into the actual lane. Classy.