Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is your resolution for the new year?
This poll is closed.
To play more games 54 12.68%
To play more games 52 12.21%
To play less games...sorry, I meant more games 70 16.43%
To play games more 79 18.54%
Something else (in addition to playing more games) 66 15.49%
To make more/less Bowsette references 105 24.65%
Total: 219 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Looper posted:

people get weirdly attached to charismatic personalities no matter the medium, that's nothing new. but now it's super easy to send money to strangers you think are your friend and i do think that's weird and sad

Its like if everyone whos in love with their local news lady had a button they could click to give that lady $5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Looper posted:

people get weirdly attached to charismatic personalities no matter the medium, that's nothing new. but now it's super easy to send money to strangers you think are your friend and i do think that's weird and sad

Are streamers the same thing as televangelists

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

lo and watch me smite my enemies, and may the floss let it know it was good, yea #1

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I like how Twitch integrated a system similar to those adult cam sites where you can just toss bits at them representing small sums of cash while they're camming

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The only good steam donations are former sbf pat's fans torturing him with lootbox money

al-azad
May 28, 2009

All the theaters around me have reserved recliners and serve booze so going to see a movie is more of an experience than some frustrating chore.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

al-azad posted:

All the theaters around me have reserved recliners and serve booze so going to see a movie is more of an experience than some frustrating chore.

Lots of booze was a good strategy toward getting through Jurassic World.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

al-azad posted:

Yeah, I don't go to any theater that isn't an Alamo Drafthouse or a full-sized imax any more (unless someone else is paying).

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
a lifehack i learned for going to garbage, boozeless theaters is to sneak bottles of liquor inside your jnco jeans

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Relax Or DIE posted:

a lifehack i learned for going to garbage, boozeless theaters is to sneak bottles of liquor inside your jnco jeans

You can clip the flask to your wallet chain!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I think I'll just stick to doing stuff i don't need booze to enjoy

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
voiceofdog does not stream as his job and manage to make streams that are more like regular lets plays instead of the weird poo poo streams usually are, but he also uploads most of his material to youtube.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
VoiceofDog is a person I have not thought about in a long time and I hope he is doing ok since I last spoke to him

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Twitch Sexbots: full time job streaming your jobs.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I want to try to find a new series to fall in love with in 2019 because 2018 being the year of Atelier was a blast. I'm not quite done with Atelier yet and have a few games I want to play lined up already but I figured I'd do an effortpost on my tastes and see if anybody has any ideas for me.

Here's a quick listing of some of my favorite series and games:
Atelier (series)
Fire Emblem (series)
Valkyrie Profile (series)
King of Dragon Pass/Six Ages
Legend of Zelda (series)
Dark Souls (game, wouldn't put the rest of the series into a list of my favorites)
Ace Attorney (series)/Ghost Trick
Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy XIV

One of the recurring themes is generally being slow-paced games--often turn based but even the real time games tend to be more deliberate. Like both ffxiv and Dark Souls are more about positioning and worrying about where you need to be five seconds from now than twitchy reactions. A lot of them tend to be user-driven too. In most Atelier games you're given vague goals and told to approach them however you see fit, in whatever order you choose. In Fire Emblem you do the maps in order but most of them have plenty of freedom to decide how to tackle them. Dark Souls hides its linearity by making everything just obscure enough that it feels like you're finding it yourself instead of being told where to go. I'd generally rather exercise my brain than my thumbs, is the point.

They also tend (tend) to be bright, colorful games without much in the way of browns and grays. These days I'm on a kick of happy, cheerful games though you wouldn't necessarily figure that out from that list.

So yeah, my perfect game is colorful, cheerful, slow/turn-based, and allows a lot of player freedom. Any large-ish series that I haven't already posted about obsessively that might fit that reasonably well?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

People giving money to streamers would honestly feel less weird to me if they didn't have that personal connection (either real or faked) with their viewers. In that case it would be more like someone is paying for the production of a product they enjoy rather than kind of a purchased friendship. Like having a wall between the performers/producers and the audience is important.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I said come in! posted:

Why a sexbot when you can have a sexphone? Not enough people have seen Her.

The scene with the surrogate is so good and when Denis Villeneuve tried it in Blade Runner 2049 it was (ironically) a pale imitation

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
A sexbot, but it only gets its inputs from twitch chat

"left"
"left"
"left"
"fossil"
"start"
"start"
"b"
"left"
"twitch plays pokemon was better "
"[the gamer word]"
" "
" RIP "
" "
"left"

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The scene with the surrogate is so good and when Denis Villeneuve tried it in Blade Runner 2049 it was (ironically) a pale imitation

BR2049 was not a very good movie and I think Villeneuve was a mismatch for the production.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Disgaea and the other various Nippon Ichi games come to mind

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

Drop all of your MMORPGs in my opinion and focus on just Spider-Man.

I think that's the best advice I've had all year. Spider-Man is such a great game I shouldn't cheat on it.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I was ok with this discussion until people praised the movie where Joachin Phoenix jacks off to Windows

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

you've likely already tried them, but harvest moon/rune factory/stardew?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Samuringa posted:

I was ok with this discussion until people praised the movie where Joachin Phoenix jacks off to Windows

They're just praising it like they should, man

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Samuringa posted:

It's a lot more thoughtful than the premise would seem at first glance, also just beautifully composed + shot.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

That scene is the most uncomfortable thing I’ve ever seen in a movie

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Internet Kraken posted:

Are you guys seriously talking about Twitch Streaming as some sort of nightmare social scenario lmao

it is

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Dunno about anyone else but I watch no commentary stuff as exclusively as I can because I don’t want to listen to the mumblescreeches of some potato-brained nobody, I want to watch loving games played competently that I don’t have the time or care or cash to play myself

I’d murder for a ‘mute streamer, keep stream audio on’ option so they can scream into the void in the corner while I get to peace out to some gameplay

I think my only exceptions is John Wolfe and Yulgash playing ADOM since he just talks pure game and what’s happening instead of racist screeds or screamed endorsements for Product

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Also yeah it is, pure late stage capitalism horror and alienation in distilled streamed form

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Rarity posted:

Disgaea and the other various Nippon Ichi games come to mind

Played and loved them as they came out

Relax Or DIE posted:

you've likely already tried them, but harvest moon/rune factory/stardew?

I liked Rune Factory 4. Actual Harvest Moon/Stardew ran into a problem where none of the characters felt interesting because they just don't get enough lines to do nuanced personality but aren't cartoony enough to just shout their gimmick at max volume. Rune Factory solved this by being full throttle anime.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

Are you guys seriously talking about Twitch Streaming as some sort of nightmare social scenario lmao

Samuringa posted:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

So yeah, my perfect game is colorful, cheerful, slow/turn-based, and allows a lot of player freedom. Any large-ish series that I haven't already posted about obsessively that might fit that reasonably well?

idk, maybe the SaGa games?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
People paying money to support content creators directly instead of it all going to faceless corporations

The horror

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

how is a videogame streamer a content creator

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Really Pants posted:

Content creator is so broad a term as to be effectively meaningless, but they are certainly performers.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Uh the reason that it's a nightmare social scenario is precisely because the largest faceless corporations control the platforms and thus the structures of all the relationships within the platform, while creating the illusion of "directness" as they collect the lion's share of both data and profit

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Really Pants posted:

They create content that people enjoy. That's literally the only qualification.

A lot of streamers also do stuff other than streaming that helps gain exposure through their streams if for some reason that doesn't count.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Uh the reason that it's a nightmare social scenario is precisely because the largest faceless corporations control the platforms and thus the structures of all the relationships within the platform, while creating the illusion of "directness" as they collect the lion's share of both data and profit

This view only works if every website only exists in a vacuum and its impossible to interact with a streamer outside of their Twitch broadcast. Which I'm sure is true for some of them but a lot of them are just, you know, regular people.

Ya'll are melodramatic as gently caress.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

chumbler posted:

Content creator is so broad a term as to be effectively meaningless, but they are certainly performers.

I just went to the toilet and "created" some "content". Support my Patreon!

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Man I've got all the way to the final level of the last Dishonored DLC and realised I can't be bothered to finish it :(

The whole game has been loving ace but I feel like I've just had enough. DLC is good and all but sometimes enough is just enough I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Just look at corporate Twitter accounts.