Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

An interesting thing about the characters in Aquaman. That one disgraced scientist who believes in Atlantis and kept going on tv to say Atlantis was real. God I hated that guy. Even though he is provably correct, I am just mad any television program even booked him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

How so? They don't generally seem to really have any story connections so there's nothing to really ignore

Mera mentions that he beat Steppenwolfe and that's it.

Still, Atlantis being a secret in that movie is kinda silly. I guess radar, sonar, and hydrophones don't exist in the DCU.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/ThePlaylist/status/1080497719154593793

Wow sounds great

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Oh Todd.

I guess it's better than "I want people who see this movie to think Batman is a pussy"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

He's stuck in the 90's when brands tried to threaten and intimidate people.

Kirby why :ohdear:

zoux fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jan 2, 2019

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I think he's just talking about the executive producers.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

zoux posted:

He's stuck in the 90's when brands tried to threaten and intimidate people.

lol that kirby ad rules

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Go away Todd.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

zoux posted:

Huh. Pube stubble.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

So "Spawn" then?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

This fish man has no brakes

https://twitter.com/BoxOffice/status/1080535602360188928?s=19

Definitely going to get a billion

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

https://twitter.com/MinovskyArticle/status/770479564522917888

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'd need to know more about this carosel

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

This is the best film project that Todd McFarlane will ever be associated with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmLFGWAyajU

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Finally got around to seeing Deadpool 2 and I really want to see a Domino movie now. Also the post credits scenes were great.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

This fish man has no brakes

https://twitter.com/BoxOffice/status/1080535602360188928?s=19

Definitely going to get a billion

Still can't believe aquaman of all things made this much money.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Monaghan posted:

Still can't believe aquaman of all things made this much money.

It came out at Christmas and it’s only competition were a Spider-Man cartoon and Mary Poppins 2. Those were both great but without a big marvel or Star Wars movie there was really nothing in DC’s way

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Aquaman nearing a billion while Spider-Verse stalls at $250 million has got to qualify as some kind of crime against humanity.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They're both great

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hotquaman.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Spider-Verse stalls at $250 million

Gah what the gently caress

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

site posted:

Gah what the gently caress

It’s actually made more money overseas than in NA. I’m genuinely baffled as to why it hasn’t done better.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

PunkBoy posted:

Finally got around to seeing Deadpool 2 and I really want to see a Domino movie now. Also the post credits scenes were great.
I maintain that it’s still the best post-credit scene

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The one I remember was McFarlane standing awkwardly in a room full of Nazi memorabilia, Confederate flags and Ku Klux Klan regalia mumbling about how symbols of evil are everywhere and how Spawn was going to strike back against racism in this episode.

I'm not sure what to think of Spawn of all characters being the most prominent and popular black superhero of the 90s. I guess it seems odd in retrospect based on the huge popularity of Black Panther in both this decade and the 00s or how John Stewart is the definitive Green Lantern for a generation of fans raised on the DCAU.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

People hate good things. This is not exactly news.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Aquaman is huge overseas, and especially China where it has been out for a month already so that explains most of it. I didn't really expect Spider-Verse to be a huge hit, it's done a little less than I figured but it's done well enough.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Two things against it:

1) It's not a "real" (marvel studios approved) Spider Man
2) The animation is off-putting to a lot of people. I think it's amazing but some people think it looks low quality

It may not have been marketed well. A guy at work asked me "That's about a kid who has dreams that he's spiderman right?"

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jan 2, 2019

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It’s actually made more money overseas than in NA. I’m genuinely baffled as to why it hasn’t done better.

Isn't that the norm for big budget films these days?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Soonmot posted:

So, for whatever reason, I watched part of Justice League the other night and... Aquaman just straight up ignores most of what happens there, yeah?

There's the one line mentioning that the events of the movie happened but yeah it doesn't quite fit in. Like he doesn't wear the armor from Justice League, his backstory with his mother is completely different and weirdly enough his eyes are a completely different color in both movies.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
What is everyone's opinion on which version of Deadpool 2 is the best?

I didn't see the PG13 version but did see the theatrical and unrated version. Imo, outside of one joke the theatrical version was better than the unrated version.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Hopefully it is filmed in Mariana's Trench (the heaviest, deepest, most brutal place on earth)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Isn't that the norm for big budget films these days?

Pretty much everything except Star Wars, which is the only major franchise which consistently makes most of its take domestically.

As for Spiderverse, one hot take I've seen is that a segment of the potential audience might just be reluctant to see it because they assume that a traditionally-animated movie is for kids (whereas they're conditioned by experience to presume that 3D animated movies will have jokes slipped in for the adults). Not sure if I buy that, though.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Pretty much everything except Star Wars, which is the only major franchise which consistently makes most of its take domestically.

As for Spiderverse, one hot take I've seen is that a segment of the potential audience might just be reluctant to see it because they assume that a traditionally-animated movie is for kids (whereas they're conditioned by experience to presume that 3D animated movies will have jokes slipped in for the adults). Not sure if I buy that, though.

Those traditionally kid movies make a ton of bank though. That audience I think is not necessarily looking for a Spider-Man movie.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Spider-verse doesn't have any shirtless Jason Momoa at all so I'm sure that's having an effect

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

X-O posted:

I remember really liking the HBO animated show.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Retro Futurist posted:

Spider-verse doesn't have any shirtless Jason Momoa at all so I'm sure that's having an effect

Aquaman is also really loving pretty. A friend of mine compared it to Avatar, if Avatar had likeable lead characters.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

X-O posted:

loving beautiful

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

X-O posted:

My god why have I not seen this before, it’s glorious

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

Had to track down all those Todd McFarlane intros because, gently caress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9wmgRRoSyg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Cythereal posted:

Mera mentions that he beat Steppenwolfe and that's it.

Still, Atlantis being a secret in that movie is kinda silly. I guess radar, sonar, and hydrophones don't exist in the DCU.

THere was that, in Justice League, Aquaman is pissed at his mom for abandoning him, and Mera says that she was raised by his mother. In Aquaman, he's pissed that Atlantis killed his mother, doesn't seem to know Mera(?).

In JL, he has his Atlantis belt buckle too, which seems weird. It's just minor stuff, but felt odd when I was saw that bit in the JL movie.