Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

DONT TOUCH THE PC posted:

Lol, mindfulness is not Buddhism. It's a business fraud with charlatans and predators.

Mindfulness is an outgrowth of Buddhism and has a lot of clinically proven benefits. It's just been hijacked by HR types who don't want to actually listen to what their employees want (source: fiance is a social worker who uses it with heroin recover-ers, I work in HR and have watched it proliferate E: mostly with disgust but I work in data and have no control over this poo poo)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Barry Foster posted:

It is undeniably a middle class thing, though, and while I'm sure it would be varying shades of useful for different people, it's complete bullshit that only the bourg (of which I am admittedly a part) get access to CBT or whatever it takes to cope with all this shite

You can access CBT in the UK through the NHS for free. There's a bit of wait for it though.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

Rarity posted:

You can access CBT in the UK through the NHS for free. There's a bit of wait for it though.

My fiance does CBT at a Medicaid funded org in Chicago too. It's severely undersupplied and she works herself ragged to do it, but ppl can get it.

The validity of a method is separate from its supply and accessibility anyway. Yeah it sucks that only white collar ppl can get it for now, but it's still useful as long as you are sensitive to not blaming ppl too heavily for their attitudes (which I've heard is a downside to it at times)

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Barry Foster posted:

I guess the problem is how else do you deal with the anxiety of living in late capitalist hell, given that it's ubiqutious and inescapable? I mean, obviously developing class consciousness and working to destroy it/eat the rich, but til that happens?

It is undeniably a middle class thing, though, and while I'm sure it would be varying shades of useful for different people, it's complete bullshit that only the bourg (of which I am admittedly a part) get access to CBT or whatever it takes to cope with all this shite

J.B.S. Haldane posted:

I had gastritis for about fifteen years until I read Lenin and other writers, who showed me what was wrong with our society and how to cure it. Since then I have needed no magnesia

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Rarity posted:

Free cock & balls torture? Truly, austerity is finally over.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

crazy cloud posted:

i wasn't answering your question, i was describing your question. there is only one mind and there is only one hill, and speculative hypothetical concept-based questions are a barrier to clearly perceiving in the first place

zen buddhism is what you get when you disobey the buddha's command to wander around itinerantly and don't make fuckin monasteries

when they destroyed the sanjiejiao they razed 4600 monasteries and freed 150,000 temple slaves and melted down hundred-pound or ton-sized bronze and gold statues of the buddha to make some drat coins again

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

bob dobbs is dead posted:

zen buddhism is what you get when you disobey the buddha's command to wander around itinerantly and don't make fuckin monasteries

when they destroyed the sanjiejiao they razed 4600 monasteries and freed 150,000 temple slaves and melted down hundred-pound or ton-sized bronze and gold statues of the buddha to make some drat coins again

u can carve a buddha idol out of dung, but ultimately, there is still the smell of crap :toot:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
from graeber's debt, page 265:

quote:

The Chinese Buddhist approach to charity was nothing if not multifaceted. Festivals often led to vast outpourings of contributions, with wealthy adherents vying with one another in generosity, often driving their entire fortunes to the monasteries, in the forms of oxcarts laden with millions of strings of cash-a kind of economic self-immolation that paralleled the spectacular monastic suicides. Their contributions swelled the Inexhaustible Treasuries. Some would be given to the needy, particularly in times of hardship. Some would be loaned. One practice that hovered between charity and business was providing peasants with alternatives to the local moneylender. Most monasteries had attendant pawnshops where the local poor could place some valuable possession-a robe, a couch, a mirror-in hock in exchange for low-interest loans.

Finally, there was the business of the monastery itself: that portion of the Inexhaustible Treasury turned over to the management of lay brothers, and either put out at loan or invested. Since monks were not allowed to eat the products of their own fields, the fruit or grain had to be put on the market, further swelling monastic revenues. Most monasteries came to be surrounded not only by commercial farms but veritable industrial complexes of oil presses, flour mills, shops, and hostels, often with thousands of bonded workers. At the same time, the Treasuries themselves became-as Gerner was perhaps the first to point out-the world's first genuine forms of concentrated finance capital. They were, after all, enormous concentrations of wealth managed by what were in effect monastic corporations, which were constantly seeking new opportunities for profitable investment. They even shared the quintessential capitalist imperative of continual growth; the Treasuries had to expand, since according to Mahayana doctrine, genuine liberation would not be possible until the whole world embraced the Dharma.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

from graeber's debt, page 265:

another parable about the evils of mindfulness

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
from harada daiun sogaku:

dipshit posted:

[If ordered to] march: tramp, tramp, or shoot: bang, bang. This is the manifestation of the highest Wisdom [of Enlightenment]. The unity of Zen and war of which I speak extends to the farthest reaches of the holy war [now under way].

holy war of world war 2, so just go on and have those baby-bayonetting sessions and mass rape and murder competitions, its all cool

its worth going over hakugen's descriptions of why buddhism fell down and fellated the army at war, because you could find and replace "army" with "corporation" with most of the reasons

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zen_at_War#Sources

bob dobbs is dead has issued a correction as of 18:10 on Jan 2, 2019

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Rarity posted:

Oh for sure, I'm...intimately aware of that.

I was thinking more of our American friends

Edit - just to be clear I'm talking about cock and ball torture here

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

from harada daiun sogaku:

holy war of world war 2, so just go on and have those baby-bayonetting sessions and mass rape and murder competitions, its all cool

its worth going over hakugen's descriptions of why buddhism fell down and fellated the army at war, because you could find and replace "army" with "corporation" with most of the reasons

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zen_at_War#Sources

this hakugen fellow posted:

8. The doctrine of the Middle Way, which "took the form of a constant search for compromise with the aim of avoiding confrontation before it occurred".[10]

sounds like another sin of centrism to me

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

World War Mammories posted:

sounds like another sin of centrism to me

kinda, but also "I am just an actor in the universe causing the bayonet to move in a certain way and this other actor happens to be in its path and I passively observe the bayonet entering their flesh - just another happenstance in the cosmic dance."

Hella absolving personal responsibility from any actions you take.

Zen by itself doesn't really have a whole lot to do with morality.

Moridin920 has issued a correction as of 18:41 on Jan 2, 2019

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

lol if you take advice from anything manifested in this reality, just lol

The lol that can be told is not the eternal lol

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

but the eternal Tape shall one day be revealed to us, the faithful, and even the non-believers, who sneer at the truth of the glorious Piss Tape (which is real, and made manifest within our world)

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Humans are garbage and can gently caress up even the best ideas given time so really the inevitable giant asteroid is really the only permanent solution.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Imagined posted:

Humans are garbage and can gently caress up even the best ideas given time so really the inevitable giant asteroid is really the only permanent solution.

Amen

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

dawg I just eat ash yams straight out the ground

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Anything getting gamer nerds to cook more then potatoe gems and frozen pizza has to be a good thing.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Pizza rolls are just American dumplings

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
idk, the game of thrones blog cookbook is good, and references actual medieval recipes so if this one does also and gets basement-folk to cook a food it’s a lesser evil I think

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

As long as I can finally get good sweetrolls in this skeever-hole of a city, I'll be happy.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

They're just going to buy the book and display it, not actually make anything in it

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Tochiazuma posted:

They're just going to buy the book and display it, not actually make anything in it

about 99% of the time yeah for sure

but if it makes even one person make a sweet beef and bacon pie and enjoy it that would be cool ya know?

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

the nerdlords are gonna try to make one lard fried bacon pie or whatever, give up, and throw that book in the ocean or something. The internet makes cookbooks entirely obsolete, especially so for printed ones. At this point they're just printed food blogs.

Also Buddhism has some really good ideas that people ignored, misunderstood, or simply didn't care about them and used it to justify being a lovely person. See Christianity, Communism, My Little Pony, and basically every other thing people use to try and understand the world.

The only solution is to be postmodern, queer as a three dollar bill, tell nazis to post their dicks, give up on ever seeing something real, and smoke a lot of pot. Then get angry and politicized to the left. Or, as I like to say, do my 2018.

e: cake guy, I don't think that's Champagne, France champagne. If you have a twitter account you manage, you're not the %1.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

non-vintage? I guess times are tough all over

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

Go lick a dog's ass til it bleeds.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

about 99% of the time yeah for sure

but if it makes even one person make a sweet beef and bacon pie and enjoy it that would be cool ya know?

Hmm, okay I'll give you that

Of course if they make *me* the pie and I get to enjoy it that would be extra cool

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

T-man posted:

e: cake guy, I don't think that's Champagne, France champagne. If you have a twitter account you manage, you're not the %1.

proof that orange dipshit is worth nothing

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

idk, the game of thrones blog cookbook is good, and references actual medieval recipes so if this one does also and gets basement-folk to cook a food it’s a lesser evil I think

lol I got this for Christmas a couple years ago and it is legit good. There's a soup recipe that is like the best soup I've ever had haha I was ready to donate that poo poo to the library.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Rarity posted:

my lil Midwest college town used to have a public mental health service staffed by at least two proteges of the DBT originator, and was constantly lauded as the only US public health center with that level of talk therapy care- they quit to form a private practice last year after the last wave of funding cuts

Opabinia
Dec 21, 2011

Your Burgess Shale buddy!
All I want to know is if I can still do Vipassana meditation while still being a fellow traveler and active union member. It helps me unwind after work.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Animated Nerd posted:

All I want to know is if I can still do Vipassana meditation while still being a fellow traveler and active union member. It helps me unwind after work.

No. You must also never have fun.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Animated Nerd posted:

would you bayonet babies with total calm and no hesitation?

if you would: no
if you wouldnt: yes

Scary!
Oct 22, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
This belongs in this thread

https://mobile.twitter.com/ByRosenberg/status/1080535688469069824

:mrgw:

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

lmao salary is for suckers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

but what about all the opportunities which the army will open up for you?