Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is your resolution for the new year?
This poll is closed.
To play more games 54 12.68%
To play more games 52 12.21%
To play less games...sorry, I meant more games 70 16.43%
To play games more 79 18.54%
Something else (in addition to playing more games) 66 15.49%
To make more/less Bowsette references 105 24.65%
Total: 219 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Phantasium posted:

idk, maybe the SaGa games?

Hm that's plausible. I bounced off of romancing saga 2 but I also didn't follow the oft-repeated advice to use a guide instead of trying to do it myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

A few of the regular twitch streamers I watch, I know in real life and are good friends who I see once a month.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
They're creating a generation of white supremacists, that counts as content

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The idea of people with too much disposable income throwing money at a guy screaming at Thanos in Fortnite sure is silly but compared to actual problems in the world today, who loving cares? Calling it a "nightmare social scenario" is a joke.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Whataboutism is never a sound riposte

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The internet does allow people to easily form fake social bonds. Whether the people doing this today would have just remained lonely in past ages, or would have been forced by their loneliness to form real bonds I dunno. Calling it a nightmare scenario does seem like hyperbole though.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

There are children starving in Africa you fools

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I wrote "JEW BALLS" in the margins of this book, please pay me for my content

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

It is useless to critique anything because genocide exists

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

cheetah7071 posted:

I want to try to find a new series to fall in love with in 2019 because 2018 being the year of Atelier was a blast. I'm not quite done with Atelier yet and have a few games I want to play lined up already but I figured I'd do an effortpost on my tastes and see if anybody has any ideas for me.

Here's a quick listing of some of my favorite series and games:
Atelier (series)
Fire Emblem (series)
Valkyrie Profile (series)
King of Dragon Pass/Six Ages
Legend of Zelda (series)
Dark Souls (game, wouldn't put the rest of the series into a list of my favorites)
Ace Attorney (series)/Ghost Trick
Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy XIV

One of the recurring themes is generally being slow-paced games--often turn based but even the real time games tend to be more deliberate. Like both ffxiv and Dark Souls are more about positioning and worrying about where you need to be five seconds from now than twitchy reactions. A lot of them tend to be user-driven too. In most Atelier games you're given vague goals and told to approach them however you see fit, in whatever order you choose. In Fire Emblem you do the maps in order but most of them have plenty of freedom to decide how to tackle them. Dark Souls hides its linearity by making everything just obscure enough that it feels like you're finding it yourself instead of being told where to go. I'd generally rather exercise my brain than my thumbs, is the point.

They also tend (tend) to be bright, colorful games without much in the way of browns and grays. These days I'm on a kick of happy, cheerful games though you wouldn't necessarily figure that out from that list.

So yeah, my perfect game is colorful, cheerful, slow/turn-based, and allows a lot of player freedom. Any large-ish series that I haven't already posted about obsessively that might fit that reasonably well?

i dunno about a series but if you can play a wii game you should play opoona~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeTTiJZvGi0

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Whataboutism is never a sound riposte

Alright lemme put it more bluntly: ya'll are stupid if you think this is even remotely a problem. Who cares what people decide to do with their freetime and money if its not hurting anyone or themselves? Yeah there's stupid poo poo involved in streaming for sure but any kind of entertainment involving personalities producing content runs into that issue. You sound like a bunch of bitter old fucks crying about how kids these days don't have fun the way you do.

I'd agree its worrying how much more reliant people have become on social media communication but that's not the fault on them, its on the nature of society for becoming increasingly fast-paced and making "normal" relationships extremely inconvenient and difficult to maintain.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

corn in the bible posted:

i dunno about a series but if you can play a wii game you should play opoona~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeTTiJZvGi0

what is it, I have a wii

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

if mr rogers was alive and streamed on twitch would he have to drop a slur or two just to get those crunchy bits flowing

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

its a beautiful day in this neighborhood-- thanks fuckyourepussy69 for the rehost

thanks ugandanknucklez for the sub

would you be mi-- thanks finalsolution2019 for the 25 bits

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Internet Kraken posted:

Alright lemme put it more bluntly: ya'll are stupid if you think this is even remotely a problem.

Chill the hell out and let people discuss it without you flying into a tizzy

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

The 7th Guest posted:

if mr rogers was alive and streamed on twitch would he have to drop a slur or two just to get those crunchy bits flowing

Mr Rogers was telling people to gently caress off before it was cool

i know this is out of context

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Black August posted:

Chill the hell out and let people discuss it without you flying into a tizzy

Nah. Making fun of streaming is fine. Discussing problems with it is fine. Calling it a "nightmare" social scenario" is silly as gently caress and i'm allowed to say that.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

I'd agree its worrying how much more reliant people have become on social media communication but that's not the fault on them, its on the nature of society for becoming increasingly fast-paced and making "normal" relationships extremely inconvenient and difficult to maintain.

There's more going on than that, because making a phone call and having a conversation is more accessible than it has ever been but people now fear doing it.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

that was the case for me before social media existed

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Internet Kraken posted:

Nah. Making fun of streaming is fine. Discussing problems with it is fine. Calling it a "nightmare" social scenario" is silly as gently caress and i'm allowed to say that.

Ok we'll continue to ignore what sets you off into a tizzy then, thanks

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

chumbler posted:

There's more going on than that, because making a phone call and having a conversation is more accessible than it has ever been but people now fear doing it.

I'd like to see what you're basing this claim on. I hate talking on the phone but I hated that before social media existed. I dunno why but something about it fills me with anxiety and stress. I much prefer talking in person or with text on computers.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Perhaps streaming is this adult generation's Thing That is Corrupting the Youth and Ruining Society. It's kinda like the Lich King, there's always gotta be one.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Kanfy posted:

Perhaps streaming is this adult generation's Thing That is Corrupting the Youth and Ruining Society. It's kinda like the Lich King, there's always gotta be one.

pretty much

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Kids should have stuck to posting on dead forums like this one and shared in our misery.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
it may be a kids these days thing, but I feel pretty confident that the content I consumed as a child was far less likely to point me towards white nationalist propaganda

i guess that's more youtube than twitch though

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Relax Or DIE posted:

it may be a kids these days thing, but I feel pretty confident that the content I consumed as a child was far less likely to point me towards white nationalist propaganda

I steer clear of YouTube and Twitter now that they both openly support and defend white nationalism.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Too many games I want to play at precisely this moment, spending too much time jumping between them today

more The Messenger (just got to turquoise river)
pick up Mario Odyssey again (stopped shortly after seeing the credits and some of Mushroom Kingdom)
Hyrule Warriors (beat the story, never really did the adventure boards)
DQ11 (the start, basically)
AC Odyssey (I forget, but no more than 20% of the way thru the story)

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Relax Or DIE posted:

You're right to a certain degree. We consumed content that was sanitized for a general audience for the most part and thus supported views society was comfortable with at the time we grew up. Now with the internet you can find fringe content much more easily, which makes finding groups that reaffirm lovely views very easy. Which is why we need to keep pressuring major media platforms to not allow their bullshit if their gonna claim to be in favor of equality and all that stuff.

It sounds bad but you also have to remember that the internet has also allowed people to connect with other minorities far more easily and open up avenues of exploration to people that never would of had them before. The internet has a lot of places extremely supportive of LGBTQ+ people in particular and has been great for people to discover and come to terms with their true identity. The internet also makes it easier than ever to be aware of problems we face as a people and what we can do in our own communities and on a larger scale to combat them.

In short, the internet is a land of contrasts

I said come in! posted:

I steer clear of YouTube and Twitter now that they both openly support and defend white nationalism.

They don't support or defend it but they do quietly pretend it doesn't exist and try to downplay all the issues that occur with it because it makes them more money that way. Which is just as lovely but an important distinction I feel.

FWIW I don't think Twitch is as bad as other sites when it comes to this stuff but I can't speak with total confidence because I haven't investigated it much. Its definitely not talked about as much. Twitch also tries to appear very pro-equality but its easy for corporations to put on a face of that while not actually doing anything.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jan 2, 2019

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Phantasium posted:

idk, maybe the SaGa games?

saga is definitely colorful, cheerful, and slow and turn-based, but if you use any of the freedom it gives you to do anything but the most optimal strategy, you will never beat the final boss

cheetah7071 posted:

Hm that's plausible. I bounced off of romancing saga 2 but I also didn't follow the oft-repeated advice to use a guide instead of trying to do it myself.

try RS minstrel song for the ps2. rs2 is notorious for being the most unforgiving out of all them.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Curious how people are saying twitch streaming and the like is a nightmare because, wow, it seems to openly support white nationalism and is cool and fine with the murder of minorities and hatred of women and other wonderful things, which, to me, is kind of nightmarish!!! Especially when young kids are exposed en masse to popular fuckheads like pewdiepie who just looooooooove them some hardcore Hitler heiling and 'gamer words'

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

cheetah7071 posted:

So yeah, my perfect game is colorful, cheerful, slow/turn-based, and allows a lot of player freedom. Any large-ish series that I haven't already posted about obsessively that might fit that reasonably well?

Valkyria Chronicles 4 came out last year. It uh....definitely has some not-cheery moments because it's Anime World War 2, but it fits the other bills.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

The White Dragon posted:

try RS minstrel song for the ps2. rs2 is notorious for being the most unforgiving out of all them.

Is PS2 still the best way to play it?

Saint Freak posted:

Valkyria Chronicles 4 came out last year. It uh....definitely has some not-cheery moments because it's Anime World War 2, but it fits the other bills.

Nep is indeed top I am well aware as the RPG thread's resident Nep-defender

VC4 is currently on my list to be played right after Atelier Meruru

I am too good at finding games I like and playing them before people can recommend them, I guess

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

cheetah7071 posted:

I want to try to find a new series to fall in love with in 2019 because 2018 being the year of Atelier was a blast. I'm not quite done with Atelier yet and have a few games I want to play lined up already but I figured I'd do an effortpost on my tastes and see if anybody has any ideas for me.

Here's a quick listing of some of my favorite series and games:
Atelier (series)
Fire Emblem (series)
Valkyrie Profile (series)
King of Dragon Pass/Six Ages
Legend of Zelda (series)
Dark Souls (game, wouldn't put the rest of the series into a list of my favorites)
Ace Attorney (series)/Ghost Trick
Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy XIV

One of the recurring themes is generally being slow-paced games--often turn based but even the real time games tend to be more deliberate. Like both ffxiv and Dark Souls are more about positioning and worrying about where you need to be five seconds from now than twitchy reactions. A lot of them tend to be user-driven too. In most Atelier games you're given vague goals and told to approach them however you see fit, in whatever order you choose. In Fire Emblem you do the maps in order but most of them have plenty of freedom to decide how to tackle them. Dark Souls hides its linearity by making everything just obscure enough that it feels like you're finding it yourself instead of being told where to go. I'd generally rather exercise my brain than my thumbs, is the point.

They also tend (tend) to be bright, colorful games without much in the way of browns and grays. These days I'm on a kick of happy, cheerful games though you wouldn't necessarily figure that out from that list.

Trails are long, slow and cheerful as hell. I should make it a New Years Resolution to beat at least one.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

cheetah7071 posted:

Ever play DQXI?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Black August posted:

Curious how people are saying twitch streaming and the like is a nightmare because, wow, it seems to openly support white nationalism and is cool and fine with the murder of minorities and hatred of women and other wonderful things, which, to me, is kind of nightmarish!!! Especially when young kids are exposed en masse to popular fuckheads like pewdiepie who just looooooooove them some hardcore Hitler heiling and 'gamer words'

Its not though. You're being dumb and generalizing like hell. The vast majority of streamers don't do anything like that.

Does that make the few that do it okay? No. Though again, I dunno how much of this is actually on Twitch cause from the sound of things the big streamers all have suffered huge backlash from even alluding to this crap. Its definitely a problem on Youtube where PD is the biggest channel and essentially an alt-right recruiter, but he's not a streamer so its not really part of the conversation now is it?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Really Pants posted:

Ever play DQXI?

It's on my list. I don't expect it to be a perfect fit but I'll probably enjoy it. I liked DQ5 (though I recognized it was strongly carried by its narrative and DQ would need to either match that or improve the gameplay a lot to grab me again, which it sounds like 11 did both of)

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Samuringa posted:

Trails are long, slow and cheerful as hell. I should make it a New Years Resolution to beat at least one.

Trails fails the player freedom criteria imo, you don't get to choose your party members until the second game of each arc and the quartz customization isn't that deep. It's definitely a good rabbit hole series though that fits the other criteria, it was my big one for this past year.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

cheetah7071 posted:

Nep is indeed top I am well aware as the RPG thread's resident Nep-defender

See this is why I need to remember user names and not avatars.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Relax Or DIE posted:

I'm kinda weirded out by how representation seems to have regressed since I was a kid watching cartoons. Batman Beyond, Static Shock, Odd Family, Teen Titans, and Kim Possible are definitely a large part of why I empathize with people of color in spite of growing up in rural Kansas. Nowadays, from what I've seen it's back to vaguely having aliens or purple characters be stand-ins that kids won't understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

DQ5 is the only one in the series I’ve played, it was pretty delightful if simplistic

there’s a scene where the protagonist’s dad, who so far was shown to be a strong and popular and honourable and noble etc dude, slaps an infant prince who doesn’t want to be king and screams, “Have you even thought about what your father wants??” And presumably you’re meant to nod along