Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Chenghiz posted:

Your post body is valid JSON so yeah the issue is the content-type header not being set correctly. it should be application/json, not application-json (assuming you didn't typo that)
Nailed it. It works after rearranging code to get Content-Type working, but not sure what caused this in the first place.

Break break...

Released an updated version of a Rust frontend framework. Looking for features to prioritize, and shortcomings to fix. Ie: What do you want out of a frontend framework? What friction have you run into setting up, or learning from the quickstart / guide?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Dumb bug I have not seen anywhere: if you sent a wrong content-length on https on chrome, it downloads but shows a white page. It kind of make sense, I guess, has may look to the browser like a tampered page.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

As the freelancer section isnt ready yet in the op does anyone have any good resources for figuring out pricing / estimation? I'd like to start doing a few side gigs but its a tricky area to start in while trying to avoid making elementary mistakes

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

NtotheTC posted:

As the freelancer section isnt ready yet in the op does anyone have any good resources for figuring out pricing / estimation? I'd like to start doing a few side gigs but its a tricky area to start in while trying to avoid making elementary mistakes

Never do a fixed-price contract, and avoid being too "certain" about anything. You can work with averages, but inevitably someone will have an idea for a "very simple" must-have component for the website that of course takes hours and hours to do properly, and blows the whole estimate out of the water.

Ask if they have a budget for the project, then tweak the project proposal to work within that budget, and have frequent conversations about the progress of the project against the amount of money you expected it would take to get that far; adjust the specifics of the project as necessary to remain within budget.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

PT6A posted:

Never do a fixed-price contract, and avoid being too "certain" about anything. You can work with averages, but inevitably someone will have an idea for a "very simple" must-have component for the website that of course takes hours and hours to do properly, and blows the whole estimate out of the water.

I disagree with this unless the work is less than 20 hours. Anything lower than 20 is impossible to estimate. However for larger projects if you tightly define a scope of work and base your price on a reasonable hourly rate multiplied by an estimated number of hours, things work out nicely assuming you are good at estimating and you include a clause in your contract about scope expansions. Probably 95% of my work is fixed-price and I think I've gone over budget on maybe one project in the last four years? The rest I've been either at or under budget, and ever hour I come in under means free money in my pocket. That all being said, I've also been estimating projects for over a decade so I'm usually pretty spot on.

For big projects I spend about 4-6 hours having calls with the client to define the scope of work before I have any sort of contract. It's a lot of time to invest, but it's the main reason why I don't go over budget and that time is accounted for in my hourly rate. If a client seems flakey and they can't figure out what they want or need, I'll usually do a "discovery" project first which is basically where I charge them for 10-20 hours worth of meetings/me thinking about the site/app/whatever so I can actually help them define what the hell they're trying to do before I write a full proposal.

I agree with your second paragraph. Constant communication with a client about progress vs. budget is absolutely vital and your clients will thank you for it. Novice freelancers are notoriously squeamish when it comes to talking about hours and dollars, but clients are used to it. We're just another vendor, and they're used to vendors being matter of fact about money.

I've probably written a half dozen posts about pricing freelance work over the years, I've listed a few out below. The short version is:

1) Never do a project, no matter how small, no matter who with, without a contract. No, really!
2) Track your hours on every project, this helps you accurately estimate projects in the future. Break things out in whatever format is helpful for you (I track hours individually for UX, visual design, development and project management in Harvest, which is also my invoicing platform).
3) Get a deposit up front, 50% is standard but most clients take 30 days to pay (this is also standard, net 30 is The Thing) so don't expect it to hit your account immediately. Set billing milestones based on deliverables if you're doing fixed price (eg. 50% nonrefundable deposit, 25% on approval of X, 25% on delivery). Stop work immediately if a client isn't paying their bills.
4) Consider incorporating to protect yourself legally and financially

Here are my old posts...

On whether you should use freelance gig websites, and generally a good method for finding work
On whether or not to incorporate, and what sort of corporations work well for freelance work
A long post with info about how to figure out an hourly rate and other such nonsense
A tryhard OP I wrote in BFC about freelancing which got exactly one reply with a lot of the same information

This is of course more than what you asked for, NtotheTC, but whatever! Let me know if you have any other questions, I can answer them here if folks are interested or in PMs. I've been freelancing full time for about four and a half years, and before that I worked for a couple companies that operated more or less as freelancers do, so I have quite a bit of experience to draw on. Happy to share whatever might be helpful!

kedo fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jan 2, 2019

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

That's absolutely brilliant- thanks for the info! Ive been salaried for my entire dev career but i really want to position myself to be more flexible going forward, the ability to be able to pick up the occasional side gig and/or do contracting work seems like useful knowledge to have.

The project im looking at is for an acquaintances' business and is simple enough technically- im just aware how little i know about jobbing. Ive picked up bits and pieces like not doing any work without a contract but didn't know where to start getting a contract drawn up etc so your info is ideal

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Once you’ve estimated a project, double it. Then you’ll only get screwed a little instead of a whole lot. Developers tend to be awful at estimating and clients are really good at changing things.

Oh, also always bill hourly for meetings.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
I have two questions.

Whats the difference between this thread and the front end development thread?

I'm trying to create a landing page that is diagonally divided into 3 sections. They are clickable by using clip-path in CSS. I am trying to create it so that mouse over hover expands the section to the full screen (of the window). My code is set up so that I have an 'a href' in HTML and nth child in CSS (so I can have the diagonal sections as links). But hover is not working when I say a: nth-child(3):hover

While fiddling to make hover work I realised that the clip path does create sections, but the canvas isn't limited to the shape I made. I assumed it would. So I can enter text into the section of the bottom diagonal, but the text appears at the top of the page. Is there a way to make it so that the things I do are limited to the shape I made with clip path?

Im jumping head first into web development. I have experience with HTMl and CSS but not a ton. Pretty much no knowledge of javascript. I do program in Ruby so i have a solid foundation of programming but web development feels very different.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

I have two questions.

Whats the difference between this thread and the front end development thread?

Effectively, none. People post the same stuff between this thread, that thread, and often the JS thread.

I'm trying to create a landing page that is diagonally divided into 3 sections. They are clickable by using clip-path in CSS. I am trying to create it so that mouse over hover expands the section to the full screen (of the window). My code is set up so that I have an 'a href' in HTML and nth child in CSS (so I can have the diagonal sections as links). But hover is not working when I say a: nth-child(3):hover

While fiddling to make hover work I realised that the clip path does create sections, but the canvas isn't limited to the shape I made. I assumed it would. So I can enter text into the section of the bottom diagonal, but the text appears at the top of the page. Is there a way to make it so that the things I do are limited to the shape I made with clip path?

Im jumping head first into web development. I have experience with HTMl and CSS but not a ton. Pretty much no knowledge of javascript. I do program in Ruby so i have a solid foundation of programming but web development feels very different.

I'm not following exactly, and it seems like there are a bunch of questions here....

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
Here is the codepen for what I'm working on.

https://codepen.io/june-y/pen/XoMrVP

I guess the main question is, why doesnt hover work with the current HTML/CSS setup. I can find examples of hover working for nth-child, like

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/14203823/hover-with-a-nth-child

or

Ive looked at a few jsfiddles and the only difference I have really noticed is how people divide classes.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

Here is the codepen for what I'm working on.

https://codepen.io/june-y/pen/XoMrVP

I guess the main question is, why doesnt hover work with the current HTML/CSS setup. I can find examples of hover working for nth-child, like

or

Ive looked at a few jsfiddles and the only difference I have really noticed is how people divide classes.

You haven't set any `:hover` attribute.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Can anyone point me towards a css/js framework like Bootstrap, but mimics how iOS looks natively?

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Boris Galerkin posted:

Can anyone point me towards a css/js framework like Bootstrap, but mimics how iOS looks natively?

Bootstrapple

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Boris Galerkin posted:

iStrap

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I feel like I’m being trolled so let me be more specific: I’m looking for native iOS looking buttons and menus, basically. I have basically zero experience with web development but I’m just trying to embed some static html pages in an app, with buttons and stuff.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Boris Galerkin posted:

I feel like I’m being trolled so let me be more specific: I’m looking for native iOS looking buttons and menus, basically. I have basically zero experience with web development but I’m just trying to embed some static html pages in an app, with buttons and stuff.

But... you should stop tryiing to search a UI that mimick exactly Apple, and try to find one that is just a good UI framework for phones.

Is a completelly different thing.

A good UI would be easy to find, good and solid. It may not render the buttons exactly like apple do.
~versus~
A UI framework tryiing to trick the users that they are using a native application when is a lie, is going to be (by design) deceptive, broken by every Apple update, fragile, poorly documented, ... the buttons may looks exactly like apple ones, but the price is too high. And is going to be hard to find, I don't know of any

Tei fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jan 4, 2019

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

I was a big fan of skeleton for a while, but it has been ages since I've used any kind of css framework so I dunno if it has kept up

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Onsen might be what you have in mind. It’s close-ish to the iOS (and Android if you want it) design. Came across it when researching PWAs.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Tei posted:

broken by every Apple update

Listen to this. I learned years ago that adopting current visual trends and playing nice with UIKit just lead to pain when Apple would just change colors, corners, insets, etc. year after year.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's also bad design. Native controls use gestures in different ways than the browser. For example, if you make a website with cells that are styled like iOS cells, there's an expectation that you can swipe the cell to reveal actions like delete. That'd be a bug-riddled pain in the rear end to faithfully recreate on the web.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

It would be nice to know a little of the intention and context around the page.

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

I'm not gonna tell you your idea is poo poo and instead point you at http://photonkit.com/. You can basically ignore all the 'for Electron' crap because it's just a CSS framework in the end.

edit: now that I think about it this might be more apple desktop UI than mobile iPhone stuff, but I don't use Apple products and can't tell.

porksmash fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jan 4, 2019

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Kobayashi posted:

It's also bad design. Native controls use gestures in different ways than the browser. For example, if you make a website with cells that are styled like iOS cells, there's an expectation that you can swipe the cell to reveal actions like delete. That'd be a bug-riddled pain in the rear end to faithfully recreate on the web.

Yea, is a pain in the rear end when you build something that create the wrong expectations. Even more when is software in continuos development and even people in the development team have things mixed up and the app is a battlefield for two oposite expectations. Ben there, done that.

I am the software architect in my company, and I try to predict these problems and avoid them. Is a hopeless job because you fight a battle nobody understands why you are fighting it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Just before the whole serve-everything-as-json-and-build-the-dom thing took off there was a bit of time where people were getting HTML fragments downloaded from the server and swapping them out on the page on link clicking.

I seem to remember there was a library or two aimed at making this better or easier, but I can't for the life of me come up with any good search keywords to find this.

Anyone have any ideas what I'm looking for? I feel like Github had a JS library they open sourced...

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

Just before the whole serve-everything-as-json-and-build-the-dom thing took off there was a bit of time where people were getting HTML fragments downloaded from the server and swapping them out on the page on link clicking.

I seem to remember there was a library or two aimed at making this better or easier, but I can't for the life of me come up with any good search keywords to find this.

Anyone have any ideas what I'm looking for? I feel like Github had a JS library they open sourced...

Turbolinks?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

gmq posted:

Turbolinks?

Well, gently caress, yes of course. Thanks!

I had a total mental blockage on that.

Now that I can google that, the other one I was trying to remember is called PJAX.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
I haven't updated my portfolio website in quite some time. Trouble is, for the past 5+ years I've worked at an e-commerce, not a design firm. How do I present a variety of work and skill sets without it looking monotonous or redundant since it'll all be from the same website?

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Blog about tips and tricks you've learned along the way, without divulging any of the code as you're likely held under NDA.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

You should be telling stories about how you worked within a team, challenges you overcame, how you reacted when things went wrong, what sort of successes you had. The actual look and feel of what you made really isn't as important.

And you can present that however you want.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
Yeah as a person who reads resumes; it's more about what you learned and how you helped improve things while you were there

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

At my current job designers get rejected all the time because while they had gorgeous projects they worked on their storytelling and presentation of it was poo poo.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

The Dave posted:

At my current job designers get rejected all the time because while they had gorgeous projects they worked on their storytelling and presentation of it was poo poo.

This is good to know. I wish I had good stories for my sites; I really don't know what to say about them. Most of my challenges involve telling clients they're requesting something that will actively hinder people using their website or looking professional, such as not making a badly pixelated cellphone photo of their van as the focus of their site or not making a box around each line of text of a sentence as it line-breaks on their screen. And the way I overcome those challenges is to do those things anyway because I get tired of arguing and just want the site launched. But now I'm trying to think of ways I can spin those.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

LifeLynx posted:

This is good to know. I wish I had good stories for my sites; I really don't know what to say about them. Most of my challenges involve telling clients they're requesting something that will actively hinder people using their website or looking professional, such as not making a badly pixelated cellphone photo of their van as the focus of their site or not making a box around each line of text of a sentence as it line-breaks on their screen. And the way I overcome those challenges is to do those things anyway because I get tired of arguing and just want the site launched. But now I'm trying to think of ways I can spin those.
As someone who freelanced for a year-and-a-half and then spent two years at an agency developing sites for local businesses, I've found persuading a client to not shoot themselves in the foot is extraordinarily difficult. If you have a direct line of communication with the decision-maker, you might be able to present a side-by-side comparison and make them understand their idea looks like poo poo.

If they're being handed an order from on high, though, and lack the ability to push back on it themselves, you're often just SOL: "The CEO made this company out of nothing. Surely we can't refuse him when he decides to micromanage the the tiniest detail or remove whole swathes of what we'd planned and already paid for!"

Real answer for if it's something more than just low-res images—try to get at the underlying reasoning driving their demand and offer them alternatives.

Cugel the Clever fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jan 9, 2019

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

LifeLynx posted:

Talk about how you balanced stakeholder requirements and delivered on time/within budget, yadda yadda. "Storytelling" really just means, can you give me the tl;dr: of what this project was, what your specific responsibilities were, and in a format that indicates you know the process works. Draw attention to the things you're proud of (or, failing that, not completely ashamed of), avoid the problem areas, and when in doubt, less is more.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Throw data at clients who won’t listen to you. “The data from X suggests we’ll see lower conversions if we show this lovely cell phone photo on the homepage,” works every time. If you can’t find a reliable source to provide you with this info, you can probably find something to point to in your own/a past project’s analytics. The more you can tie your work and (correct) opinions to their bottom line the better, even if that tie is tenuous at best.

I also plant the seed that “good UX = happier visitors = more conversions” at the very beginning of a relationship with a client and let them know it’s my job to be the user’s advocate and shoot down their crappier ideas. As long as you establish this early on it makes these types of conversations a thousand times easier.

In terms of how you spin it for an interview: “delivered the project on time and within scope while managing the needs and requirements from a variety of stakeholders,” is code for “this was a difficult client, but I managed them the best I could.”

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Here's a tough one, I think. iOS blocks delayed popup windows / ones not immediate to user interaction. So something like so:

JavaScript code:
onClick = () => doSomethingQuick().then( _r => window.open( ... ) )
Will never open the window. I know why this is, and am morally 100% in favor of it! However...

In my case, a user will click one of several "Log in with [ Social Media Service ]" buttons and I need to grab a token from my backend before firing off the pop-up window to allow them to log in using whatever social media service they chose. The brute force solution is to fire off my calls for each button on each login view load, but since best case I won't use most of the results, that seems inelegant*. So is there a way to do this without then making them tap another button that I am not able to Google?

* yes, I know... if it works, who cares.

EDIT: I think the correct answer is to use redirects instead of popups, which is crap-tacular for adding / linking additional accounts once you've logged in.

Lumpy fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jan 10, 2019

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Lumpy posted:

Here's a tough one, I think. iOS blocks delayed popup windows / ones not immediate to user interaction. So something like so:

JavaScript code:
onClick = () => doSomethingQuick().then( _r => window.open( ... ) )
Will never open the window. I know why this is, and am morally 100% in favor of it! However...

In my case, a user will click one of several "Log in with [ Social Media Service ]" buttons and I need to grab a token from my backend before firing off the pop-up window to allow them to log in using whatever social media service they chose. The brute force solution is to fire off my calls for each button on each login view load, but since best case I won't use most of the results, that seems inelegant*. So is there a way to do this without then making them tap another button that I am not able to Google?

* yes, I know... if it works, who cares.

EDIT: I think the correct answer is to use redirects instead of popups, which is crap-tacular for adding / linking additional accounts once you've logged in.

Instead of a new window or page navigation, put up a modal containing an iframe with that URL?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Munkeymon posted:

Instead of a new window or page navigation, put up a modal containing an iframe with that URL?

The downside of that is users can't see if they are *really* on Facebook or wherever. I imagine they generally don't care, but some might. However, I think that is what I'm going with since it's minimal changes. Thanks for the suggestion!

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
today I learned that you can use window.name to store up to 2MB of data, and that data survive page transitions, so is even more powerful than a cookie.

I wonder if the european parlament will create a new law so a new set of popups is added to pages with the message "This page uses Window.Name" and these "We respect your privacy" horse poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I switched to a server in Amsterdam for my VPN for the heck of it today without thinking.

Lol at all the loving popups about GDPR and also the many sites that return a 451 HTTP error and just won't show me any content.