Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is your resolution for the new year?
This poll is closed.
To play more games 54 12.68%
To play more games 52 12.21%
To play less games...sorry, I meant more games 70 16.43%
To play games more 79 18.54%
Something else (in addition to playing more games) 66 15.49%
To make more/less Bowsette references 105 24.65%
Total: 219 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

but what about fun factor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Internet Kraken posted:

Its not though. You're being dumb and generalizing like hell. The vast majority of streamers don't do anything like that.

Does that make the few that do it okay? No. Though again, I dunno how much of this is actually on Twitch cause from the sound of things the big streamers all have suffered huge backlash from even alluding to this crap. Its definitely a problem on Youtube where PD is the biggest channel and essentially an alt-right recruiter, but he's not a streamer so its not really part of the conversation now is it?

The few who do it have a gigantic audience and makes shitloads of money dude, if you want to be willfully ignorant and dismissive of this stuff, fine, but throwing up the shield of "That's dumb you're dumb this isn't a problem" when in the same breath you admit that youtube is an alt-right hive is making you look bad

You're smarter than this

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Black August posted:

The few who do it have a gigantic audience and makes shitloads of money dude, if you want to be willfully ignorant and dismissive of this stuff, fine, but throwing up the shield of "That's dumb you're dumb this isn't a problem" when in the same breath you admit that youtube is an alt-right hive is making you look bad

You're smarter than this

Who are the giant streamers that regularly do this

Cause the only one I heard about in this thread was Ninja and he apparently got a ton of flack for it. Which doesn't excuse it, but does clearly show that Twitch isn't actively supporting neo-nazism.

And youtube isn't an alt-right hivemind. You're painting with a broad brush once again. Its got plenty of alt-right people on it but its also got a lot more people that openly support liberal policies. The problem is Youtube pretends to support the latter while not actually doing anything about the former. That's a problem that falls entirely on the corporation of youtube though and not all of the actual people using it. Acting like everyone who streams or makes youtube videos or whatever is a nazi is loving dumb and doesn't help anything.

I'd say you're smarter than this but I'm not entirely sure.

EDIT: I mean unless GBS has changed in recent time it has the exact same kind of lovely people there that you are complaining about, so by your logic we're all nazis as well.

But more to the point, this wasn't even the "problem" that was being discussed originally. People were just complaining about people enjoying streaming in general and supporting streamers, crying that enjoying something they didn't and that this was a "nightmare social scenario". That is what I called silly and dumb.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jan 2, 2019

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Internet Kraken posted:

And youtube isn't an alt-right hivemind.

Lets just drop it, this is a lost cause.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

cheetah7071 posted:

what is it, I have a wii

opoona is a slow jrpg about some space kids dealing with bureaucracy and learning about art and working in a hotel doing diner dash stuff (also they fight monsters sometimes)

it is genuinely hard to explain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-fFmcdsWAE

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Samuringa posted:

Lets just drop it, this is a lost cause.

Acting like everyone who uses a free, omnipresent content platform is in complete agreement with the lovely viewpoint of some prominent members is awful and diminishes the helpful role of many supportive groups.

You can call youtube as a corporation lovely but lots of people use it for positive or harmless entertainment purposes. Which is why it sucks that its basically the only major media video platform right now and is doing nothing about their problematic members.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Twitch, YouTube, and especially Twitter are gigantic corporations that openly do not care if children are exposed to Alt Right users on their platforms, let alone that Alt Right users are generating them income.

Hth in the weird debate about individuals being the cause of widespread societal issues.

I think Discord is the only social media company that I've seen actually try to get rid of Nazis?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Jay Rust posted:

I would actually be a fantastic sex speedrunner

I came to post this... but you came quicker.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

cheetah7071 posted:

Is PS2 still the best way to play it?

PS2 is the "only" way to play it but of course I'll always recommend PCSX2 over the actual hardware, the texture resolution is just so much better.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Cheetah i know these may be kind of obvious but have you played any Ogre Battle or Summon Night games? or there's the Hamtaro adventure games for gbc and gba which are surprisingly good. baten kaitos? i wanna rec the mega man legends games but those aren't slow paced. they're a bit drab but I'll sweats go to bat for the Lost Kingdoms games, From's take on the deck building fad

I'm just going to assume you've already played the perfect game Skies of Arcadia

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Looper posted:

Cheetah i know these may be kind of obvious but have you played any Ogre Battle or Summon Night games? or there's the Hamtaro adventure games for gbc and gba which are surprisingly good. baten kaitos? i wanna rec the mega man legends games but those aren't slow paced. they're a bit drab but I'll sweats go to bat for the Lost Kingdoms games, From's take on the deck building fad

I'm just going to assume you've already played the perfect game Skies of Arcadia

Baten Kaitos is the only thing there I've played. I'm generally wary on going back to old RPGs that haven't been touched up with modern ports but I could be talked into it with a good sales pitch

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.
If you're going to try DQXI, I'll suggest Dragon Quest Builders along, its chill as hell and cute as hell

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Ogre Battle is good poo poo but it's definitely the kind of game you want a guide for. It's easy to accidentally end up in the endgame and your army is made up of crappy low- and mid-tier units because you didn't know the exact 10-point alignment range your units have to be in to promote to their top tier forms.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I'm waiting for Dragon Quest Builders 2

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i meant to type always, not sweats, please don't make fun of me

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Looper posted:

i meant to type always, not sweats, please don't make fun of me

don't alway it

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leK8ig3PezE

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The White Dragon posted:

Ogre Battle is good poo poo but it's definitely the kind of game you want a guide for. It's easy to accidentally end up in the endgame and your army is made up of crappy low- and mid-tier units because you didn't know the exact 10-point alignment range your units have to be in to promote to their top tier forms.

I have Ogre Battle 64 and really want to get around to playing that for the first time.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I agree that Dragon Quest is probably the chill and simple game you want. Play DQ7, fuckin do it

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

corn in the bible posted:

I agree that Dragon Quest is probably the chill and simple game you want. Play DQ7, fuckin do it

No one should have to play DQ7

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

corn in the bible posted:

I have only played Dragon Ques XI, but the other titles aren't available on current gen consoles or PC are they? :( I also have a PlayStation 3.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

I said come in! posted:

I have only played Dragon Ques XI, but the other titles aren't available on current gen consoles or PC are they? :( I also have a PlayStation 3.

DQ5 has a DS port so is playable on 3DS which is technically still modern

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

I said come in! posted:

I have Ogre Battle 64 and really want to get around to playing that for the first time.

64 is dope and has a very easily executed glitch that sidesteps the alignment issue

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Samuringa posted:

They're creating a generation of white supremacists, that counts as content

Yah, High school boys these days get blasted with ben shapiro recs from do no evil google

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

A bunch of DQs are on iOS and presumably Android

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

cheetah7071 posted:

DQ5 has a DS port so is playable on 3DS which is technically still modern

Dqv on ds is great i played it last winter. The second screen is used pretty well in framing the camera for dramatic shots and the scale of architecture/whatever

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

A bunch of DQs are on iOS and presumably Android

I have an iPad Pro, so I can put this on my wish list. I did promise myself no more games for awhile though. My backlog is so big.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I said come in! posted:

My backlog is so big.

eat more fiber

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

But more to the point, this wasn't even the "problem" that was being discussed originally. People were just complaining about people enjoying streaming in general and supporting streamers, crying that enjoying something they didn't and that this was a "nightmare social scenario". That is what I called silly and dumb.

Did anyone besides you even say "nightmare social scenario" because it just seemed like a lot of talk about it being crazy that people would spend such large amounts on pretty much anything before it turned into whatever the conversation is now

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
today's song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qt7OizuH9Zg

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

So which Atelier game is good for a newbie?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Not a nightmare
https://twitter.com/TaylorLorenz/status/1080621703305285639

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

remember when someone was selling $50 mystery boxes in sa mart and they were all like dollar tree toys

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Jay Rust posted:

So which Atelier game is good for a newbie?

My three recommended entry points, listed with their consoles and main selling points:

Atelier Rorona (Vita, PS4, PC, Switch; do not play the PS3 version): The earliest modern Atelier game. It has a charming cast (not my favorite writing-wise but I would call it the most charming) and simplistic mechanics. It has the time management mechanic that is a hallmark of the early series but you'll never be in any danger of actually failing a mandatory objective by running out of time. Instead, you have to decide how to balance secondary objectives.

Atelier Ayesha (PS3, Vita; Vita version is slightly superior): My personal favorite Atelier. It has a wonderful atmosphere that is alternately melancholy and optimistic. It has a wonderful cast and beautiful music. The mechanics are just beginning to evolve from the simplistic earlier games into the more complex later games and ultimately it plays a lot like Rorona does. The main difference is that instead of 12 mini-schedules throughout the game you're just told what your primary objective is right at the start and given a single deadline to accomplish the entire thing. Because of this there's a sub-component of puzzling out what your next objective should even be which I liked a lot.

Atelier Lydie and Suelle (PS4, Switch, PC, Vita): My favorite Atelier gameplay-wise. As the most recent game it's the height of the tendency for each Atelier to be more complex than the last one. Crafting is as complex as a standalone puzzle game, and figuring out the best way to proceed with each one is very rewarding. The writing is very wholesome and cute. It's much more directed than the other two recs, with somewhere around 40% of gameplay time spent doing game-specified objectives instead of figuring out for yourself what to do next. The time limit of previous games is gone so you can putter around for as long as you like without worrying about deadlines, if that kind of gameplay is stressful for you.

The only Atelier on modern systems I anti-recommend is Firis, which I haven't played yet but everyone says is very bad. Sophie eventually gets good but has a very slow start. Totori is like Ayesha but slightly worse so if that's the one that sounds best but you don't have a PS3 there you go. Meruru is sort of like a proto-Lydie and Suelle except instead of having more complex crafting the time management is complex instead.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I love these hand drawn approximations of Nintendo games

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

oddium posted:

remember when someone was selling $50 mystery boxes in sa mart and they were all like dollar tree toys

I missed this and wish I hadn't!

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I said come in! posted:

I missed this and wish I hadn't!

Anyone can send you dollar tree toys and not tell you what they sent.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

al-azad posted:

I love these hand drawn approximations of Nintendo games

https://twitter.com/DONDRRR/status/894011811867099136

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

That cereal is less than 6 dollars, that's Pure Value

Edit: Also holy poo poo Game Tips on Audiocassette, please tell me someone uploaded those

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This is horrible and cruel.