Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on Putin and the Brexit Nativity – Russian president says UK should not hold second referendum and PM must ‘fulfil the will of the people’"

Telegraph:

Independent:

After Friedrich von Amerling.

The i paper:

Times:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Paul Thomas was a bit weird in that I think he was a bit apolitical and didn't always agree with the editorial content of what he drew for them.

He's since written and illustrated a 'tabloid history' of birdwatching and uses his Twitter for birding photos :unsmith:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
British Political Cartoons 2019: 100% ARSE

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Observer:

"The baubles of Christmas present - Chris Riddell on a year not to be proud of"

Sunday Telegraph:

Matt:

Independent on Sunday:

US government shutdown goes ahead amid deadlock over Trump's wall

Sunday Times:

Merry Christmas to you all, and I'll see you in a few days.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardians:

"Brian Adcock on Theresa May’s Brexit non-delivery – A year after the prime minister promised to ‘deliver a good Brexit’, people are wondering whether that will ever happen"

"Ben Jennings on festive spirit in Westminster – At the end of another tumultuous year for Theresa May, festive cheer was thin on the ground in Westminster"

"Peter Schrank on the prospects for refugees in 2019 – The first ever international deal on the migration crisis was signed earlier this month by a majority of UN states, despite vociferous objections led by the United States."

Telegraph:

Independents:

Corbyn: Brexit would go ahead even if Labour won snap election

Queen tells nation to put aside differences in Christmas message

Japan confirms it will quit IWC to resume commercial whaling

Timeses:

Mac, loving Off:

David Squires:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Mac has hosed off!

Has BoB ever seen Jeremy Corbyn before? What the gently caress is that fat belly about? His caricatures are so poo poo.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Welcome back, Cloud Potato. :)

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
I wonder if the Mail are actually going to bother replacing him by having a political cartoonist in tyool 2019 or if their readers' hatred of change of any kind was the only thing keeping them from showing him the door.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

In a shocking development that surprises everyone, the Daily Mail brings in Steve Bell to replace Mac. That'd be fun.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The new editor is less hard right than Dacre but still far too right wing for anything that fun to happen.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Angepain posted:

I wonder if the Mail are actually going to bother replacing him by having a political cartoonist in tyool 2019 or if their readers' hatred of change of any kind was the only thing keeping them from showing him the door.

From the article where I took that cartoon: "Mac may have gone – but the Daily Mail will unveil a brilliant new cartoonist in the new year."

Guardian:

"Seamus Jennings on Brexit, Trump and Putin in 2018 – Vladimir Putin has said the UK should not hold a second referendum on Brexit, insisting that Theresa May ‘fulfil the will of the people’"

Independent:

Hospitals making hundreds of millions from parking charges

Times:

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Cloud Potato posted:

From the article where I took that cartoon: "Mac may have gone – but the Daily Mail will unveil a brilliant new cartoonist in the new year."

I am filled with terror

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
At least Mac had his own visual style (heavily cribbed from Giles, but even so). All the colourful identikit grotesques from the other cartoonists kind of blur together. Without the names on them, I'd struggle to tell one artist from another most of the time.

I dunno, as abominable as the content often was, I truly had a soft spot for that oldfashioned monochrome three-quarter perspective of his. As happy as I am that Mac is loving off, and whoever replaces him can only be better, it's like seeing the decommissioning of the last Routemaster bus, or slamdoor trains, as that old style art will never return.

I know, I know, it's a terrible opinion and I should be ashamed of it. But gently caress, at least scrolling through the thread you could recognise one of his cartoons instantly. It's a sorry indictment of British political cartooning that the rest have become so hard to tell apart. I swear, if I see one more gurning Teresa May looking at an object with the word “brexit” hamfistedly painted on it...

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
First Mail cartoon of the new year is a monochrome three-quarter perspective of a gurning Teresa May looking at a literal gollywog called Brexit. The first finger on the Mac's paw closes.

Alternative distinctive art style/abominable content outcome: Ben Garrison

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Guavanaut posted:

Alternative distinctive art style/abominable content outcome: Ben Garrison
Holy loving poo poo watching that clown try to navigate the mercurial waters of What The British Tabloids Hate Today would probably be entertaining, he'd not last the week.

I just hope whoever they get has a monosyllabic name so it doesn't spoil the natural rhythym of "gently caress off mac". :v:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Brian Adcock on what 2019 might hold for the prime minister – A bumpy year is about to start for Theresa May"

Times:

Sajid Javid: Channel migrant crossings 'a major incident' (Compare and contrast with his 'toon for the Grauniad two days ago. Still, it's the end of the year, and who can be arsed?)

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Observer:

"2019, a grim year in prospect – Brexit, Trump, Putin… but the biggest threat to our future is climate change"

Sunday Telegraph:

Sajid Javid cuts holiday short to tackle Channel migrant crossings

Yesterday's Independent:

Independent on Sunday:

Sunday Times:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Who are those Indy and Times artists?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

goatface posted:

Who are those Indy and Times artists?

The first one is obviously Stanley Cnnnillnv. Well known famous artist.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The Indy one's name is written in an alphabet only found on the walls of the inner chamber of a long abandoned temple in the desert south of Iram of the Pillars.

Pronouncing it correctly is 'snakes', which is to say snakes will exit your mouth.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Sinwave McMurtry.

Edit: actually his name could be 121,150 in ancient egyptian :v:

Pilchenstein fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Dec 31, 2018

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
McMurtrywave is like Fashwave but played on an old dansette and full of old man noises.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I suppose it could say Gwillur? Cwillur?

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
No idea who the artists are, sorry. Though I think the last letter of that Indy's signature is an s.

Guardian:

"Nicola Jennings on migration between the UK and the EU – As Brexit nears, a surge in cross-Channel migration has caused alarm in some quarters"

Telegraph:

Independent:

Times:

Happy new year, thread readers! Let's hope 2019 isn't a complete shitshow.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

lol at the independent and the times running the exact same cartoon

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Peter Schrank on 2019's Brexit crossroads – Three paths are now open to the UK as regards EU membership: accepting Theresa May’s deal, leaving with no deal, or remaining"

Telegraph:

Independent:

Times:

David Squires:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Nicola Jennings on the no-deal Brexit ferry company with no ferries – Seaborne Freight has been given a £14m contract to run cross-Channel services but has yet to buy any vessels"

Telegraph:

Independent:

Times:

Evening Standard:

Most Labour members believe Corbyn should back second Brexit vote

Mail:
It's the big unveiling! After 50 years, legendary Mail cartoonist Mac has hung up his pen. But his successor Paul Thomas has a riotous new cast of characters to unveil... showing there's a new quick draw in town! :sun: He's ba-ack! :supaburn:

Mac on the left, Paul Thomas on the right.

'Now pay attention, Mogg! I want you to take this service revolver...and shoot yourself in the other foot'

'Tin hat on Philip. I'd love to help you with the Fab Four this Christmas, but I'm volunteering for the hospital helpforce'

'Father - can you confirm that my confession won't be shared with either Facebook or Google?'

'Turns out that even the fattest cats only have nine lives!'

'An unmanned probe! So much for controlling our borders'

'There's nothing like a carefree run through a wheat field,' said Theresa to the friendly Bull

'So, your Brexit hasn't been stolen yet, but you're worried it might be?'

'Fiona Bruce is struggling to leave Roadshow behind - she wants to know how much the vase is worth'

'It's what she would have wanted. Mother hated being ripped off'

Article currently has one comment:

quote:

Sorry but not amusing yet. I suppose time will tell

Any mods reading this, a plea: British Political Cartoons 2019: Sorry but not amusing yet

czg
Dec 17, 2005
hi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Q-U2THOF00

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
His tattoo drawing skills are unmatched.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

these are really poo poo

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Glad you've hosed off Mac. Rust in piss, you hateful old oval office.

Someplace, somewhere, a finger curled on the monkey's paw. The thumbman returneth.

Also, happy new year Cloud Potato, and thank you for continuing to share all these cartoons :)

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
No foxes or badgers to be found, too. For shame.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Hahaha oh wow yesssss YESSSS :unsmigghh:

I love how he seems to have switched to the caption-under-the-cartoon style just because That's What The Mail Does rather than it working well for his cartoons. I don't think it does but it's hard to tell when they're so awful to begin with

Paul Thomas is the terrible taste I love to hate

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
There's some almost impressive dedication to being utter shite there.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Fill me in, what's Paul Thomas's background? These comics seem well-illustrated and boring, not offensive.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
He used to be the cartoonist for the Daily Express, likes hiding foxes and badgers in his cartoons and loves drawing elaborate tattoos on working class people. He drew some horrific poo poo in line with the Express' hateful rhetoric, but we're not sure he actually agreed with all of it. He is bad at drawing recognisable famous people.

He should fit right in at the new Mail.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

goatface posted:

He is bad at drawing recognisable famous people.
I feel like it's a bit early in 2019 to be shooting for "understatement of the year". :v:

It's a pity we won't see the return of Egg-mouth Clegg since the old, not-ginger bastard has "retired" from frontline politics. Was Thomas responsible for the Sheik of Wales? In my mind's eye it was drawn in his style.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Pilchenstein posted:

I feel like it's a bit early in 2019 to be shooting for "understatement of the year". :v:

It's a pity we won't see the return of Egg-mouth Clegg since the old, not-ginger bastard has "retired" from frontline politics. Was Thomas responsible for the Sheik of Wales? In my mind's eye it was drawn in his style.

Yes, he was definitely a Sheik of Wales guy. He's definitely less racist than Mac, although few people are more racist than that old fart.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on Jeremy Hunt's vision for a post-Brexit Britain – The foreign secretary has argued that the UK’s values must become ‘an invisible chain’ that links the world’s democracies"

Telegraph:

Independent:

Times:

UK trains 'are packed to near double capacity'; First close-ups of Ultima Thule reveal it resembles dark red snowman

Evening Standard:

Javid under fire over 'illegal' cross-Channel asylum seekers claim; UK army recruitment ads target 'snowflake' millennials

Mail:
PAUL THOMAS on... the UK's sugar time bomb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
gently caress off, Paul Thomas.