Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

I think what I liked about Belegars campaign was that it kept the battles pretty small and pretty important overall. We the half my stack as rangers I was consistently wiping out enemy armies very swiftly but there was always a great risk that things could go sideways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
The Dwarf forging system is also a fantastic buff for Belegar's campaign. Why yes, his ghostdads can now also kill dudes very well and could possibly become even more impossible to kill.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

toasterwarrior posted:

The Dwarf forging system is also a fantastic buff for Belegar's campaign. Why yes, his ghostdads can now also kill dudes very well and could possibly become even more impossible to kill.

I think my ghost runesmith and one of my ghost thanes are both dead permanently but I'm not 100% sure. :(

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

kidkissinger posted:

I think my ghost runesmith and one of my ghost thanes are both dead permanently but I'm not 100% sure. :(

rip ghostdads...again

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

toasterwarrior posted:

rip ghostdads...again

I thought it was odd that they had the option for immortality, didn't give it to those two and they got aassasinated. Honestly my army comp was better without them, I ended up with a set of captured organ guns that both got gold bars in like five battles.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Woo I won a Short Campaign as the Empire and it looks like I could sign a few alliances that people have been begging me for to get the Long Campaign win. I'm guessing I need to turn the difficulty up and try something new.

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:

alex314 posted:

I should probably play a horde faction. I enjoy painting the map too much though.

The colorless ruins are how you paint. Go forth and ravage

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Luminous Cow posted:

The colorless ruins are how you paint. Go forth and ravage

kinda pointless with universal settlement, some rear end in a top hat is gonna resettle em

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Ammanas posted:

kinda pointless with universal settlement, some rear end in a top hat is gonna resettle em

Well with that attitude

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Barrow Legion is fun but I think next time I play I will be a lot more aggressive to start. Brets aren't very intimidating at the beginning but once their garrisons build up they are actually not so fun to fight even with 60 skeletons.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Can anyone enlighten me as to what I am actually being asked to solve with this one? I dont want the answer, I'm just confused about what I am actually 'moving' to find the answer across the bottom.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jan 2, 2019

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

So essentially, think of the inner wheel as a dial. It can be rotated. Only one color of line will actually line up and connect. The options are the symbols those lines point to.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Can anyone enlighten me as to what I am actually being asked to solve with this one? I dont want the answer, I'm just confused about what I am actually 'moving' to find the answer across the bottom.

You want the face in the center to be standing upright. Then you find which set of lines in the middle dial align with the center . Finally, you choose which symbols those lines point to.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Figure out how many to the left or right you need to adjust on one line on the second lines then try and follow each line until you find the lines that match the bottom.

Looks like you don't need to adjust much from the default.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

The Duggler posted:

Barrow Legion is fun but I think next time I play I will be a lot more aggressive to start. Brets aren't very intimidating at the beginning but once their garrisons build up they are actually not so fun to fight even with 60 skeletons.

why only 60? I would suggest going up to 95, or 114.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Yeahh it clicked now. For some reason my broke brain didnt realize to turn both bits and you pick the set of three that line up with one of the colors that lines up right.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jan 2, 2019

fargom
Mar 21, 2007
Man I need to play some dwarves. I've been on holiday vacation since Dec 23rd, and man have I been watching a lot of twitch.. Specifically this guy: https://www.twitch.tv/elichtv

He did a Legendary difficulty Dwarf campaign over like 8 days, and managed to get thunderers up to around :eyepop: :eyepop:120 ranged damage with stacking buffs in an unmodded game :eyepop: :eyepop:. Thunderers start at something like 22 ranged damage, so this is almost 6x normal. His army consisted of the high king, runepriest, 2 master engineers, 4 ironbreakers, 4 thunderer, and the rest filled with artillery/copters. I have never seen armies melt so loving fast. His Organ guns/canons were also about 5-6x higher missile damage than normal, meaning like 1500 damage organ guns.

He is moving on to beastmen now, but holy poo poo I'm gonna to a Mortal empire dwarf run next focusing on a big ole gunline.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Yeahh it clicked now. For some reason my broke brain didnt realize to turn both bits and you pick the set of three that line up with one of the colors that lines up right.

I always end up randomly picking for this one, not being able to rotate it fogs over any puzzle-solving abilities I may have once possessed.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

Draxion posted:

I always end up randomly picking for this one, not being able to rotate it fogs over any puzzle-solving abilities I may have once possessed.

Similar, that is the only one I use a cheat guide for. I really don't have the time to sit down and map that poo poo out - it's not actually hard at all, its just annoying.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I usually just check the signs connected to the one colour.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

I wrote a guide that explains how to solve all of the puzzles with pictures and poo poo that's on Steam here. Originally it was just a list of solutions but people kept asking how you solve them.

The dial puzzles are bullshit—I'm either a moron or it's incredibly difficult to imagine the solution without being able to rotate the ring. Equally annoying, a bunch of the cypher puzzles (the Sudoku ones) have two valid solutions but you only get rewards for one of them.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jan 3, 2019

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Wallet posted:

I wrote a guide that explains how to solve all of the puzzles with pictures and poo poo that's on Steam here. Originally it was just a list of solutions but people kept asking how you solve them.

The dial puzzles are bullshit—I'm either a moron or it's incredibly difficult to imagine the solution without being able to rotate the ring. Equally annoying, a bunch of the cypher puzzles (the Sudoku ones) have two valid solutions but you only get rewards for one of them.
I'm glad you said that - I had one of the Sudoku's figured out and I was rather certain of the answer but then it told me that I was wrong so I was really confused. And yeah its hard to try to figure out the circular ones without being able to actually move them - once i realized the idea is that you move both inner spots with the colored lines and then see where it lines up I think I found what the answer would have been, but ehh whatever. Thanks for the link.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Doublepost - I cant believe how overwhelmingly overpowered Norscan Ice Wolf Chariots are. Like... so much so that even the AI knows to spam the poo poo out of them.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jan 3, 2019

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Doublepost - I cant believe how overwhelmingly overpowered Norscan Ice Wolf Chariots are. Like... so much so that even the AI knows to spam the poo poo out of them.

I don't really follow. They kinda sucked when I used them.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'm absolutely horrible at using chariots in this game. I also just don't really like them, aesthetically.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Motherfucker posted:

I don't really follow. They kinda sucked when I used them.
As Norsca with a full stack army I was fighting an army that had a General, a Mammoth, five Ice Wolf Chariots, and like two Marauders. The Chairiots were impossible to kill. They just zip around tossing my infantry around like rag dolls. They each had like to hundred kills despite the fact that I had the starting unit of Skin Wolves and six upgraded Javelin throwers. They just don't die and are un-hindered by being engaged by spear men or shot with 100s of Javelins.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
get good at them. they're really good in some set ups, especially the single entity model ones.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Ice Wolf Chariots slow targets they are engaged with, which makes it easier for them to engage and disengage as needed.

Chariots tend to have good HP per model and the mobility to dodge a lot of missile fire making them difficult to kill quickly. When used well they don't stay in melee long enough for dedicated anti large to do much to them and are knocking units over like bowling pins the whole time.

Even the Tomb King ones can be devastating if you can micro them well, though they do tend to be the most unforgiving since they are prone to crumbling and far less tanky compared to other races.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

After 187 turns, I completed the Long Campaign in Mortal Empires with Mazdamundi. I feel like I've had my fill of lizards till their DLC comes out. I'm debating who to play next. Based on who I fought the most at the campaign end, it's either going to be Vampire Counts or Norsca.

Some highlights of the campaign:
-got some really fun AI-reinforcement battles while saving Brettonia from Chaos and Wintertooth.
-Aside from the stack that made it to Brettonia, the main Chaos force basically dithered about in the North. I think Archeon was more interested in taking an Arctic cruise than actually End Timing
-Vampire Coasts has sadly dampened some of the manic fun of Primeval Glory armies.
-Once you learn how to game siege maps, it's impossible to go back to doing them properly.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Tiler Kiwi posted:

get good at them. they're really good in some set ups, especially the single entity model ones.

Mammoths are cooler.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
All my favorite armies have no chariots and this is no coincidence.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Never felt the need to use chariots as TK, but Settra's podracer is pretty cool.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

What determines whether or not a pirate fleet attacks you or not? I'm sailing around as Noctilus trying to get a Vsea campaign off the ground (I keep loving stuff up and quitting like 30 turns in) and the various pirate fleets are a thorn in my side. I know I need to kill them eventually and I already took on a Chaos pirate and barely managed to finish him and his two mammoths + frost wyrm off with my turn 15 zombie army, but the Dwarf and Dark Elf one are absolutely pushing my poo poo in atm.

Is it just random if you're within attacking distance? It seems like they largely ignore stuff unless its really close to them

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

They seem to have less range that your fleets. I generally ignore them, but had a mission to kill one general. Ended up parking 2 fleets in reinforcement range at their range.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I saw some videos of players using SFO, and want to know more about what it changes (also the other mod people are talking about)

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

SirPhoebos posted:

I saw some videos of players using SFO, and want to know more about what it changes (also the other mod people are talking about)

SFO basically spices up the factions, so new mechanics (e.g. Greentide, you get a dilemma for every X of Y you do as Greenskins that provides a bonus) and tweaks that make them more flavorful (e.g. Dwarfs get smaller model counts but stronger stats). I believe all factions also get new units, some of which I find to be too good at times (Dwarf Engineer squad, armed with grenade launchers, that consistently get more kills and cause more damage than Irondrakes due to their parabolic arc) but are mostly flavorful.

Lucky's Overhaul's biggest draw is the Lord skill system, which is notable for changing unit boosts from primarily +stats to a mix of +stats and new abilities based on their veterancy. For example, you can spec Dwarf Hammerers as solid bodyguard units that get defensive boosts and grant a solid chunk of phys resist to characters near them, or boost their assault ability with a massive chunk of charge bonus, as well as the ability to inflict a penalty for melee stats on their targets. This means that units can find powerful niches in their rosters by virtue of their new abilities, as opposed to SFO and vanilla where the usual progression is the unit just becomes better at their designated role.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
SFO adds new variations to existing units as well- like Black Orks with Sword/Shield for example. Each race also tends to get a end tier 'elite' type unit that is really strong but has a small unit size with very steep recruitment/upkeep. Most of my favorite new units, however, were subtle additions you could get much earlier on, such as Empire Huntsmen, which were bow missile units that were good vs large but otherwise weaker and cheaper than crossbowmen. This gave them a nice niche since late game they were pretty much free with all the discounts you could get.

Lucky's Overhaul mainly changes the Lord skill trees, forcing you to choose between two 'paths' to upgrade each type of unit or Lord skill. It greatly improves magic, boosting damage and buffs, increases regen cap, gives caster lords all their spells from the get go and consolodates a lot of upgrades into a single skill point instead of 2 or 3. It also really slows down battles by giving all units massively more HP but proportionally less increased damage, and limits the number of uses on a lot of special abilities. In theory this makes you put a lot more thought into those skills, though on particularly huge battles unless you have certain killy units or casters the battles can be a bit of a slog. Still, the improvements to magic and certain offensive units are worth it, putting much more emphasis on the player casting spells effectively and rear charging with glass cannon units to win battles.

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011
Dunno if Green Iz Best affects Rock Lobbaz in any way, but with the new veterancy talents they get..pretty mean :getin: :orks101:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1613358498

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Lucky's skill changes rebalanced to vanilla battle speeds would be perfect for me, but sadly it is not to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009
The one time I started a Lokir campaign the level 35 delf pirate declared war on me five turns in and destroyed my starting black ark. Has anyone else had this happen?