Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
I’ve been a movie guy and not a show guy, so the marvel movies brought me to the marvel Netflix shows. I finally started watching non-marvel shows and now realize I’ve been way too forgiving of this garbage. I don’t regret watching Punisher season one but I think I regret watching the rest of them.

Shout out to Altered Carbon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
You're going to rag on the rest of the Netflix Marvel shows, and then give a pass to the space-hippie hackers living in a commune?

:downsgun:

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

dichen lachman tho

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Andrigaar posted:

You're going to rag on the rest of the Netflix Marvel shows, and then give a pass to the space-hippie hackers living in a commune?

:downsgun:

Yes, that is exactly what Altered Carbon is about.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
That's so specific then, what show are they thinking of?

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

The total botch job of refactoring the Envoys from a supra-governmental strike force of planet-hopping combat hard men (or their brain patterns anyrate) that are feared across settled space to some one-planet robin hoods was definitely a low point in the Altered Carbon tv show.

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Jan 2, 2019

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

The total botch job of refactoring the Envoys from a supra-governmental strike force of planet-hopping combat hard men (or their brain patterns anyrate) that are feared across settled space to some one-planet robin hoods was definitely a low point in the Altered Carbon tv show.

I wondered what all the book people were upset about so I read the book after I watched the show, and honestly, the book wasn't all that good. It's a collection of decent sci-fi ideas with acceptable writing; the TV show is pretty similar in quality and the changes they made to make it more intelligible for TV didn't seem to be that big a deal. Like, the envoy change would have been a big deal if the space government was actually directly involved in the plot, but even in the books it was just a piece of background to explain why Kovacs could "manipulate" and "analyze" people with his "weapon" of a consciousness and body hop, but he never really did much of that in the book anyway. Both the book and Netflix show for Altered Carbon are just okay, and the changes seemed appropriate, or at least unremarkable, given that change in format.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Altered Carbon was very fun to watch and the thread was like 15% show discussions and 85% literally just two goons going back and forth about whether it was body swapping, cloning, or both for no exaggeration over 100 pages. Their bickering rendered the thread basically unusable except as nerd toilet paper and it was amazing.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
The Altered Carbon books are basically a modern spin on Dashiell Hammett's detective novels, then just drowned in a footnotes vision of cyberpunk. The author's really open about that, though it's entirely subjective if that works for you. Also all three books have a really similar structure... so having 2+ seasons for the next two books might require a fuckton of reworking to survive.

Kickass violence and hot half-naked cast members across the board or not, I will never stop cringing at the hippie commune.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Bust Rodd posted:

Altered Carbon was very fun to watch and the thread was like 15% show discussions and 85% literally just two goons going back and forth about whether it was body swapping, cloning, or both for no exaggeration over 100 pages. Their bickering rendered the thread basically unusable except as nerd toilet paper and it was amazing.

TVIV in a nutshell

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Also Netflix Marvel was mostly terrible and I'm mostly glad it's dead, but Jon Bernthal was born to play the Punisher and losing him after two seasons is gonna be a crime

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Bust Rodd posted:

I wonder if season 2's thread will be as much of a trash fire as that was.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Soothing Vapors posted:

Also Netflix Marvel was mostly terrible and I'm mostly glad it's dead, but Jon Bernthal was born to play the Punisher and losing him after two seasons is gonna be a crime

Yeah, the Punisher and Kingpin were excellent, the rest of Netflix Marvel was a decent stopgap if you were desperate for more Marvel stuff.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Daredevil S1/S3 is better than all the non-Iron Man 1//nto the Spider-verse Marvel movies. it told better stories with characters i got to know, who don't seem extremely paper thin.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Here's my hot take: both the netflix shows and movies are quite good, with a few glaring exceptions. Conversely, all the DC shows and movies are very bad, with no exceptions.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Is it a hot take if most of the world actually likes most superhero stuff?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Invalid Validation posted:

Is it a hot take if most of the world actually likes most superhero stuff?

It's a hot take in the wretched wasteland of bad taste that is SA.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

pnumoman posted:

Yeah, the Punisher and Kingpin were excellent, the rest of Netflix Marvel was a decent stopgap if you were desperate for more Marvel stuff.

Daredevil S1 was amazing as pretty much the first of its kind. Jessica Jones S1 was also a really good season of TV with some great actors, even if it might have wrapped itself up in 2-3 fewer episodes. The rest of them I wouldn't call "mostly terrible" besides Iron Fist - the production values and cinematography were always really good and seemed a cut above the CW-style Arrowverse shows, and acting was typically better even though the plotting was often weaker. I think it was a pretty good run on the whole, even if the shows tended toward mediocre rather than really good. Occasionally they produced genuinely good stuff, and there was always the feeling that they could be great if they'd just hire a better showrunner or action coordinator and weren't always chained to the 13-episode seasons.

From what I've heard so far about the Disney shows, I'd rather give the Daredevil/Punisher guys another try at making good TV. Hell, even Iron Fist season 2 showed some glimmerings.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

It's a hot take in the wretched wasteland of bad taste that is SA.

Fair enough

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

John Pilgrim sounds like he would make a better Daredevil villain.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Phenotype posted:

Daredevil S1 was amazing as pretty much the first of its kind. Jessica Jones S1 was also a really good season of TV with some great actors, even if it might have wrapped itself up in 2-3 fewer episodes. The rest of them I wouldn't call "mostly terrible" besides Iron Fist - the production values and cinematography were always really good and seemed a cut above the CW-style Arrowverse shows, and acting was typically better even though the plotting was often weaker. I think it was a pretty good run on the whole, even if the shows tended toward mediocre rather than really good. Occasionally they produced genuinely good stuff, and there was always the feeling that they could be great if they'd just hire a better showrunner or action coordinator and weren't always chained to the 13-episode seasons.

From what I've heard so far about the Disney shows, I'd rather give the Daredevil/Punisher guys another try at making good TV. Hell, even Iron Fist season 2 showed some glimmerings.

Yeah, there's a little hyperbole on my part. Netflix Marvel wasn't bad overall or anything tbh, with the exception of Iron Fist. It's just the highs were so good, the rest of the stuff seemed so lacking in comparison. First half of Luke Cage was so good I got immensely let down by the second half. JJ season 1 I had a blast with. But after Iron Fist let me down so hard, I kinda half-heartedly followed the other shows, with the exception of Punisher.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Lurdiak posted:

Here's my hot take: both the netflix shows and movies are quite good, with a few glaring exceptions. Conversely, all the DC shows and movies are very bad, with no exceptions.

I think I'll say DCEU since they weren't always this incompetent and have several decent Batman movies and a few good Superman movies. But if you're talking post Man of Steel you are 100% correct.

I still can't believe Agents of Shield got a double-season renewal though I am also very glad about that. It's quality level got much better over time.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

pnumoman posted:

Yeah, there's a little hyperbole on my part. Netflix Marvel wasn't bad overall or anything tbh, with the exception of Iron Fist. It's just the highs were so good, the rest of the stuff seemed so lacking in comparison. First half of Luke Cage was so good I got immensely let down by the second half. JJ season 1 I had a blast with. But after Iron Fist let me down so hard, I kinda half-heartedly followed the other shows, with the exception of Punisher.

Season 2 of Daredevil is one where the highs (episodes 1-4) made the rest (anytime after that) feel so much worse by comparison even if it was pretty decent.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I still think DC's animated stuff is pretty good.

Serf
May 5, 2011

agents of shield was pretty middling until "turn, turn, turn" hit and then it got pretty good

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Serf posted:

agents of shield was pretty middling until "turn, turn, turn" hit and then it got pretty good

By editorial mandate, yes.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Lurdiak posted:

The CW shows are amazingly dumb, but unlike the movies they have heart, and are fun to watch. Soap operas about superheroes.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Black Lightning owns bones. It's a serious family drama that's unashamedly comic booky. Creepy twins, assassins with lasers, an albino dude called Whale who reads Moby Dick and kills people with a harpoon.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Legends of Tomorrow is mankind's greatest achievement, you philistine

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Fuuuck I really need to watch Black Lightning.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

esperterra posted:

I wonder if season 2's thread will be as much of a trash fire as that was.

Sounds like they won't be following the books at all, so that should kill 90% of the complaints which were "But in the books..."

Soothing Vapors posted:

Legends of Tomorrow is mankind's greatest achievement, you philistine

moths posted:

Fuuuck I really need to watch Black Lightning.

I want this crossover except Jefferson is instantly sick of their poo poo.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Sounds like they won't be following the books at all, so that should kill 90% of the complaints which were "But in the books..."

A lot of the “in the books” complaints were because when they deviated from the books, they always did it in ways that were stupid cliches or just really dumb and bad.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/ThePunisher/status/1080841307973607424

Was expecting Jigsaw to look a lot more messed up

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"

RareAcumen posted:

I still think DC's animated stuff is pretty good.

I always thought DC were always their strongest with their TV shows, animated or otherwise, compared to their movies. DC's movie output is very poor quality taken as a whole.

Contrast with Marvel, were its the opposite between the quality of their movies vs shows.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

moths posted:

John Pilgrim sounds like he would make a better Daredevil villain.

Naw, he’s perfect for Punisher. It sounds like he’s a version of Gavin McInnes and the Proud Boys many of whom fancy themselves at the Punisher in real life. There’s been more than a few good stories of Frank ‘inspiring’ other psychopaths but applying their own warped views of who needs punishing.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Davros1 posted:

https://twitter.com/ThePunisher/status/1080841307973607424

Was expecting Jigsaw to look a lot more messed up

I think they learned the lesson from the 2008 movie’s jigsaw, where if the face is too jacked up you lose a lot of the actor’s ability to emote.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Naw, he’s perfect for Punisher. It sounds like he’s a version of Gavin McInnes and the Proud Boys many of whom fancy themselves at the Punisher in real life. There’s been more than a few good stories of Frank ‘inspiring’ other psychopaths but applying their own warped views of who needs punishing.

Season one had a bit of this with the domestic terrorist guy.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I don't think we've seen the new breed of young, relatively affluent shithead reactionaries explored in popular fiction other than, what, that SVU episode about incels? Lord knows we've had enough triggered millennial snowflake SJW characters screeching about microsggressions to last a lifetime, even from liberal shows.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Dr Christmas posted:

I don't think we've seen the new breed of young, relatively affluent shithead reactionaries explored in popular fiction other than, what, that SVU episode about incels?

I dunno, there's been a handful. Wynonna Earp's second season did one.

I figure Viserys Targaryen counts too, though obviously the character pre-empts the current form of the creep.

Though not an awful lot, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Dr Christmas posted:

I don't think we've seen the new breed of young, relatively affluent shithead reactionaries explored in popular fiction other than, what, that SVU episode about incels? Lord knows we've had enough triggered millennial snowflake SJW characters screeching about microsggressions to last a lifetime, even from liberal shows.

I’d love for their to be a trans-vegan eco-terrorist, like if Poison Ivy became an Instagram thot