Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Wait, how does the hand get put back on? Giorno hasn't figured put to heal yet. I dont remember any of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Buccellati zips it back on, I think. There's this bit where they're driving to the train station and Abbaccio's hand gets smacked and it still hurts because it's just been reattached.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Damn it, why it does need to remain only four bullets!?

Darko posted:

Wait, how does the hand get put back on? Giorno hasn't figured put to heal yet. I dont remember any of this.

With a stapler and cellophane tape.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Darko posted:

Bonus pic:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I wonder if DP will have Giorno heal it after the Baby Face fight.

Also, is it just me or is MitM kind of a lame fight?

Nephthys posted:

Obviously we can't say it in the anime thread, but for the record Cioccolata's "I'm a doctor so cutting myself into pieces isn't a big deal also I can still move all the parts somehow" is every bit as bullshit as snakebrick.

I'm looking forward to all the nightmares that will come with seeing that scene animated.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I wonder if DP will have Giorno heal it after the Baby Face fight.

Also, is it just me or is MitM kind of a lame fight?

I'm looking forward to all the nightmares that will come with seeing that scene animated.

I mean we already got an extra taste of Cioccolata dismembering Sorbet (or was it Gelato?) in La Squadra's flashback, so I'm :kheldragar: to see what DavPro does with him

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat
People saying brick snake is bullshit, what's bullshit is the lack of tardigrades. Water bears can live at -100 celsius, Giorno. Araki missed a prime opportunity to educate about tardigrades and have Ghiaccio rant about their bullshit powers to live in extreme conditions. turn the car into a water bear, giorno.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Giorno never seems to make anything bigger than a snake, does he?

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I'm also not sure tardigrades can survive at huge sizes. Like they're unkillable but there's a reason they're microscopic

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Expect My Mom posted:

I'm also not sure tardigrades can survive at huge sizes. Like they're unkillable but there's a reason they're microscopic

But Araki didn't read that fact off a snapple cap

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat
Oh, for sure, their microscopic size enables them to survive extreme environments. I wasn't talking about a huge tardigrade, as adorably freaky as that might be. Maybe just make the tires tardigrades so the car skids to a stop.

Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, is there a limit like some weird conservation of matter with Gold Experience? I never really got that sense, I didn't think he made only ten frogs out of ten cars. What could be a bullshit reason for why he can't make a poo poo ton of tiny things out of something? He was able to make enough individual blades of grass for Mista to use as a snowboard. Does he/Gold Experience have to physically touch whatever he's transmuting into having a metabolism? Making more life takes more out of him? I could see that. He's able to make millions of cells to replace body parts, though--how about a few brain-eating amoebas?

I know the answer to anything stand-related is "because shut up," but it's fun to think Giorno could just go "hey this road is now crickets" whenever.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
For some reason I thought he turned one of Purple Haze’s knuckle bulbs into a snake egg, which then instantly hatched and that’s why the snake is immune to the virus.

Am I imagining this? Or is that what the Buddhist Valley translators made up since they’re dumbasses who couldn’t comprehend Chinese on an appropriate level to translate a complex work like Jojo?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Yeah, I definitely remember it happening that way. This is the only time we see Purple Haze, isn't it? Guess it was just the translators having no idea.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If stand effects disappear after a stand user is defeated do you think all of Gold experience's transformations also go back to normal?

That would be really uncomfortable for Mista.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Mans posted:

If stand effects disappear after a stand user is defeated do you think all of Gold experience's transformations also go back to normal?

That would be really uncomfortable for Mista.

After enough time passes wouldnt all the cells in those body parts die and be replaced by Mistas own cells? I guess the only things that would be in danger would be stuff that doesnt regenerate like certain organs, nerves and brain cells

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Yinlock posted:

also giorno still has the character problem of Araki not really being able to nail down what his power actually does, then getting distracted because bruno's is way cooler

It always bothers me when people say “lol gold experience just does whatever! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯” cus it actually is pretty consistent once you get passed the damage reflect and slow-mo punch, which (I think?) never come up again at this point. GE can turn inanimate objects into living things. That’s it. It’s not that complex or hard to understand. It’s just that it’s so simple it’s highly susceptible to jojo bullshit - turning objects into organs / limbs that are missing, turning a brick into a snake that’s immune to poison and then using that blood in yourself, etc.

The animals have some basic rules they follow, like they’ll tend to move towards the “owners” of the object they originate from, and Giorno can give them some basic commands (such as “follow this dude”) but that’s it. Honestly it’s way simpler than Johnny’s stand, which is he can spin / shoot his fingernails and can then control the bullet holes and can teleport between the bullet holes and then INFINITE SPIN POWER, ALL OF THE ATOMS IN YOUR BODY ARE NOW SPINNING THROUGHOUT ALL DIMENSIONS

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

CodfishCartographer posted:

It always bothers me when people say “lol gold experience just does whatever! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯” cus it actually is pretty consistent once you get passed the damage reflect and slow-mo punch, which (I think?) never come up again at this point. GE can turn inanimate objects into living things. That’s it. It’s not that complex or hard to understand. It’s just that it’s so simple it’s highly susceptible to jojo bullshit - turning objects into organs / limbs that are missing, turning a brick into a snake that’s immune to poison and then using that blood in yourself, etc.

The animals have some basic rules they follow, like they’ll tend to move towards the “owners” of the object they originate from, and Giorno can give them some basic commands (such as “follow this dude”) but that’s it. Honestly it’s way simpler than Johnny’s stand, which is he can spin / shoot his fingernails and can then control the bullet holes and can teleport between the bullet holes and then INFINITE SPIN POWER, ALL OF THE ATOMS IN YOUR BODY ARE NOW SPINNING THROUGHOUT ALL DIMENSIONS

The "basic commands" part is a bit odd because the first thing Giorno says about his power is that he doesn't control the animals (hence my theory about him sacrificing damage reflection for control). But even beyond inconsistencies like that, Gold Experience feels like bullshit sometimes because "can turn inanimate objects into living things" is so open-ended to begin with (although much the same could be same of Heaven's Door, Weather Report, and Soft & Wet).

Johnny is a different case because Tusk is an evolving Stand like Echoes or Pucci's Stands. Tusk Act 4 with its infinite Spin is Johnny's equivalent of Gold Experience Requiem or Made in Heaven, rather than an application of Tusk Act 1.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

tusk follows an incredibly basic progression of advancements and nothing about it ever makes the reader confused

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Tusk's ability is pretty conceptual but it has a logical basis in this cool combination of magic and "Math". I never felt like Johnny could suddenly do something that just did not make sense, it felt like a really cool progression of the character growing emotionally and also just getting smarter with his power

Like the faceoff between Soundman and Johnny has to stop using the belt buckle as a cheat to understanding the golden rectangle, but actually step up and save himself Gyro, creating Tusk Act 2 owns

On the contrast I never feel like Giorno gets better at using Gold Experience, he just Does Stuff. Even Josuke I feel has a neat arc, he's pretty brash but confident in his ability to just punch through people but in Highway Star and Bites the Dust, we see some really smart uses for Crazy Diamond that feels like the character has gotten smarter and stronger over the course of the story, not just whipping out a new trick out of a bag

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jan 3, 2019

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I'm in agreement that Gold Experience more or less makes sense most of the time though. He creates living things that return to their owners, and the stuff he ends up doing is from logical conclusions he makes. The brick's a poison brick and so it's a poison snake. He fights a guy that turns living things into objects and realizes it's essentially the opposite of his power, so he too can turn a rock into his eyeball. He makes a plant that returns to its owner by growing more and more (I sorta forget how they beat White Album but it had to do with that. I think.) It doesn't seem like such a huge jump in logic to me.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Oh yeah I definitely agree that Tusks’ progression definitely makes sense, and that Giorno doesn’t really “learn” about his stand the way other protags do, beyong making new body parts I guess. I feel like those are more faults with Part 5’s writing, rather than inherently being a problem with Gold Experience being overly complex or rear end-pully. I feel like while GE does do weird poo poo that seems to come out of nowhere, it all makes sense within the context of GE’s powerset. I think people would be a lot more willing to accept it, if things were more properly set up somehow so the payoffs don’t seem to come from nowhere.

Also holy gently caress I cannot wait for the train fight, I am SO loving pumped for it. I forgot it was coming up next until I saw the post-credits scene.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I feel like just seeing tusk's progression along with Johnny's knowledge of the spin is much better than Giorno seemingly changing the powers of his stand on the fly. At least with baby face he alludes to the fact that "oh i can just slot pieces of life into people to heal them" so it seems like less of an asspull. but seeing Johnny go through the motions and internalize the spin on a conceptual level feels earned whereas Giorno's progression just feels forced. But i guess because of the heavy application of Fate in part 5 it's supposed to feel unearned?

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
johnny is the best jojo and like easily one of my top 5 manga characters

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Momomo posted:

I'm in agreement that Gold Experience more or less makes sense most of the time though. He creates living things that return to their owners, and the stuff he ends up doing is from logical conclusions he makes. The brick's a poison brick and so it's a poison snake. He fights a guy that turns living things into objects and realizes it's essentially the opposite of his power, so he too can turn a rock into his eyeball. He makes a plant that returns to its owner by growing more and more (I sorta forget how they beat White Album but it had to do with that. I think.) It doesn't seem like such a huge jump in logic to me.

I can’t remember how they beat White Album either. I guess that will add an element of surprise when the anime gets to it.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

TexMexFoodbaby posted:

Giorno seemingly changing the powers of his stand on the fly.

The whole point I was trying to make is that he doesn’t, but everyone says he does. I do concede that it's probably the fault of Araki not properly establishing his powers early on, instead bouncing around with the damage reflection and slowdown poo poo. Which never comes up again.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
all i remember of white album is i think the final hit is mista just emptying a clip into ghaiccio's head point blank so that owns

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Silver2195 posted:

I can’t remember how they beat White Album either. I guess that will add an element of surprise when the anime gets to it.

I forget how a lot of part 5 fights go really. The one thing that stuck out to me most though was Ghiaccio and jesus christ, the anime could not have picked a better voice for him.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Things I remember about part 5 fights:

- Giorno fighting an ice stand and deciding he should drive into a river
- A lot of fights on a train
- Fishing pole stand guy becoming a badass after his partner dies
- Risotto vs Doppio
- The final fight

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
I haven't watched any pt5 jojo, but I will absolutely watch Beach Boy/Grateful Dead. Pesci did nothing wrong.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

you're kind of missing out because the part 5 anime is probably the best adapted part so far in terms of aesthetics and overall small details

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Watching Vinesauce Joel's playthrough of Undertale and was treated to him raging at ScrewAttack's Jotaro vs. Kenshiro fight. It astounds me that they've had at least three fights involving Jojos and still have yet to grasp the concept that only other Stand users can see and harm Stands.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Watching Vinesauce Joel's playthrough of Undertale and was treated to him raging at ScrewAttack's Jotaro vs. Kenshiro fight. It astounds me that they've had at least three fights involving Jojos and still have yet to grasp the concept that only other Stand users can see and harm Stands.

That's probably a problem inherent to JoJo crossing over where you need to fudge the rules. Expect the same thing to happen if someone from JoJo becomes a playable character in Jump Force or any future crossovers.

halleys comet
Feb 29, 2012

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Yeah i was really frustrated at ScrewAttack's (?) Jotaro vs. Kenshiro fight (??) so it was great to see Vinesauce Joel (???) rip them a new one in his playthrough of Undertale (????)

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Electric Phantasm posted:

That's probably a problem inherent to JoJo crossing over where you need to fudge the rules. Expect the same thing to happen if someone from JoJo becomes a playable character in Jump Force or any future crossovers.

I get that they have to do that in games but it's a little jarring in a video series where they claim to do research on the characters and their abilities.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I get that they have to do that in games but it's a little jarring in a video series where they claim to do research on the characters and their abilities.

ScrewAttack's Death Battle is notorious for being dumb, though. Their interpretation of Superman gave us the N O L I M I T S meme, and they generally focus exclusively on characters' best showings and ignore all the times when they struggle or fail at something.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

IMO the primary mistake was watching Death Battle

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

halleys comet posted:

Yeah i was really frustrated at ScrewAttack's (?) Jotaro vs. Kenshiro fight (??) so it was great to see Vinesauce Joel (???) rip them a new one in his playthrough of Undertale (????)

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

halleys comet posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

halleys comet posted:

grandma is that you