Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

The rumor is a Spider Women movie spinning off of Spiderverse with Cindy, Jessica Drew, and Gwen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

site posted:

Can't believe zub put a bunch of z-listers on the champions and then nonchalantly says oh yeah honey badger and silk are on the backup roster. YOU DON'T PUT GABBY ON THE BACKUP ROSTER SHE IS YOUR A-LISTER

It's perfectly in character for Gabby to join as many back up rosters as she possibly can. :colbert:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Conan was fun, but it's very much a transplant of Aaron's Thor ideas, or more likely his Thor ideas started life as dreams for the Conan run he couldn't write at the time.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I knew Aaron was gonna nail Conan, and of course he did. But holy crap I was not ready for Mahmud Asrar to come with that kind of art. I’m a big fan of Asrar but I absolutely did not expect him to be that perfect for Conan. I can tell I’m going to love this book

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hulk is great, and different.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I've never read or seen any of the Conan franchise, is this a jumping on point?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Yup.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

X-O posted:

She doesn't need to be on The Champions. Gabby theoretically should be everywhere because she's great but in reality we need to keep her in as few hands as possible so she stays great.

She's the daughter of Wolverine. She should follow her Father's Footsteps and be in a billion books at once with greatly varying levels of characterization and writing quality and art quality and yet somehow still become a fan beloved character despite how many terrible stories she is in. That's the Logan way. :colbert: /joking

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I have a huge soft spot for Ms. Marvel's solo title, despite a few lulls in pacing and momentum, so it always bothers me that when she appears in other titles she tends to be written as a completely different character. Champions is especially wild-- inter-title continuity is always a tricky, quixotic thing, but I find it really difficult to square the generic Cyclops-type holding court over an international team of superheroes on some sort of high-tech vehicle/base thing with the panicked kid taking three issues to deal with the Shocker in her own title.

I like everything Saladin Ahmed has written so I'm confident in his ability to write a good Kamala, but it's sort of a shame that in her own book she occupies an interesting and novel niche, but elsewhere writers seem bent on making her a stock type that's easier to plot for but much more boring.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I've never read or seen any of the Conan franchise, is this a jumping on point?

Yup. I’ve only ever seen the movies (and, uh, the 90s cartoon) but I was immensely satisfied.

Echoing what X-O said, I knew Aaron was a no-brainer for this and I stull came out of this pleasantly surprised.

I’m now also going to be following Mahmud Asrar, however, because I’d no knowledge of him at all before and holy crap did he come out of the gate swinging.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I just got Marvel Infinity, on Aaron would his Thor be a good start for Thor? And which one he seems to have a few.

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes

A Sometimes Food posted:

I just got Marvel Infinity, on Aaron would his Thor be a good start for Thor? And which one he seems to have a few.

Thor: God of Thunder

I'm a big fan of his Ghost Rider run, too, which doesn't start at #1, but you can just jump in and read if motorcycle nuns with machine guns interest you.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Dragonshirt posted:

Thor: God of Thunder

I'm a big fan of his Ghost Rider run, too, which doesn't start at #1, but you can just jump in and read if motorcycle nuns with machine guns interest you.

Cheers mate. Rewatching Thor 3 and going to see Spiderverse kinda got me to sign up. Finding Miles and Gwen series was easy. Thor and Pete have a... few more options.

I was also gonna check out that new Hulk one after someone posted him eating demonic investment bankers.

What's the best modern Spidey btw?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

A Sometimes Food posted:

Newspaper :v:
The most recent Peter Parker: the Spectacular Spider-Man written by Chip Zdarsky.

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes

A Sometimes Food posted:

I don't hate Slott and thought "Go Down Swinging" was a lot of fun, but the BEST modern Spider-Man is definitely Zdarsky's Spectacular run.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

howe_sam posted:

Newspaper :v:
The most recent Peter Parker: the Spectacular Spider-Man written by Chip Zdarsky.

Dragonshirt posted:

I don't hate Slott and thought "Go Down Swinging" was a lot of fun, but the BEST modern Spider-Man is definitely Zdarsky's Spectacular run.

Well that was quick and unanimous.

Also the first issue of Immortal Hulk owned. Too bad that's all on Unlimited so far.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
The first issue of Conan was pretty well done, yes. I hope it can keep up the quality in all respects.

I am not a huge expert on the character, but I've read some of Dark Horse's early material (specifically, the Busiek - Nord run) that adapts the original stories and those were quite good too. Marvel is going to start reprinting some of those issues as epic collections, so interested folks might want to check those out.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/McElroyFamily/status/1080864635388088321

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Conan is one of the most consistently good characters to ever appear in comics. I haven’t read King Conan or any of the 90s stuff that might have come out, but he had more than a literal decade of greatness at Marvel, a superb run of stories in the Savage Sword pulp comic magazines, and has been consistently good with Dark Horse.

Haven’t picked up my books this week yet but that’s definitely the one I’m most looking forward to.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

God drat I hope Miles getting thrown in everything doesn’t hurt his character.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

He was in a movie, we gotta put him in all the comics please for the love of god just transition to the comics from the movies we're dying here because our industry is founded in obsolete, monopolistic, and counterproductive distribution models

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Miles got put on the main avengers team like the second he got brought over to 616

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

site posted:

Miles got put on the main avengers team like the second he got brought over to 616

ssh, let him have his weird misinformed hot take, he's not from around here

maybe next he can tell us about how the manga model is so much better and more effective, why don't american comics just try using that

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

I want Thori and Lucky meeting up and becoming best friends. They could share a piece of pizza. :3:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Do any of them have writing creds other than for videogame websites?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Teenage Fansub posted:

Do any of them have writing creds other than for videogame websites?

I think the only one of them who even reads comics is Clint

Jim the Nickel
Mar 2, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Alaois posted:

I think the only one of them who even reads comics is Clint

Clint wrote comics for a while in the 90s, and they all collaborated on their (not very good, unfortch) adaptation of The Adventure Zone. And Griffin wrote a cute little story about a Jawa in this Star Wars short story collection from last year, so there's more than just video games journalism to go off of. I feel like the quality of this could go either way!

Also holy poo poo, that team lineup is such a weird grab bag, I kind of love it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I have no clue who those people are but I see Wonder Man on the cover so I’ll be reading.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Yeah I'm not sure who the girl with the gun arm and the red trenchcoat guy are

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Death Locket and Druid.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Digging the rod reis art in winter soldier, couple random pages

And Ewing continuing to low key put his politics out in his books

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

site posted:

Have his art and layouts always looked like that? Seems to have some recent Mitch Gerads influence.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

site posted:

1) That whole scene in Hulk was fantastic and actually a really smart read on the character.

2) Did that guy dip bacon in his coffee? Do people do that?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
psylocks secondary mutation is a talking butt

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer

site posted:

psylocks secondary mutation is a talking butt

Someone please tell Olivia Munn this so she can start the necessary prep work

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

site posted:

I was curious and briefly checked /co/ and of course there’s multiple threads bitching about the last page.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Rod Reis' art really reminds me of a slightly sketchier Phil Noto and I'm really good with that.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

What's the deal with the emaciated green dude? Angry Dr. Banner doesn't physically look much like a hulk on that page. Is there some kind of story reason for that? Or just bad art?

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

B33rChiller posted:

What's the deal with the emaciated green dude? Angry Dr. Banner doesn't physically look much like a hulk on that page. Is there some kind of story reason for that? Or just bad art?
Story-related. About an issue or so ago, Absorbing Man hopped up on hulk-roids leeched a bunch of his gamma out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Magnificent
Dec 24, 2007

Comes with hands on care.
Fun Shoe

B33rChiller posted:

It is the Hulk, most of his gamma energy was siphoned out of him by a possessed absorbing man in the previous issue. They showed that by having Hulk look emaciated, which is cool visual choice.

You should be reading Immortal Hulk.