Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Roland Jones posted:

Are you sure? It is in that section, but it doesn't say that they gain it then, so I could see that being interpreted either way. Other sections refer to a Zeka's "natural intensity" meanwhile. If that were the case, then, well, they'd arguably be playable, but Torment would still be an instant Game Over basically because a Zeka in Torment A. Wants to violently destroy everything it can basically, and B. Has infinite Pyros to spend on things like, say, Transhuman Potential. Which is bad. And also silly.

Pretty sure. There's only one place that it mentions natural intensity and that's in the Transhuman Potential section, and it's likely just using 'natural' to differentiate from its Tormented-altered Intensity.

It looks like naturally zeky don't have an Intensity on their own. They have powers that Contaminate an area, target, or object, with Intensity, and their Disquiet and Wastelands cause low-level (but capable of increasing) Intensity. If they use Transhuman Potential they gain an Intensity equal to their Azoth. And if they Torment they gain an Azoth of 8 (or 10, if they already have higher than 8 Azoth), which can make for nasty Torments.

This is the game that has powers like 'You're surrounded by an aura of bane, including to things that don't have banes.' But the Intensity coming from Transhuman Potential fits with the setting, so you don't have every zeky with Azoth 6+ instantly killing mortals they are in the general vicinity of, though they throw off a lot of radiation when using their powers or Disquiet.

You're probably meant to use the Quick and the Dead rules liberally so you don't have to constantly track when random NPCs take Bashing, too.

nofather fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jan 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

That Old Tree posted:

I would think they're just immune to damage from radiation, so they can turn into a secondary Zeky vector.
Do you want Bale Hounds? Because that's how you get Bale Hounds.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

It's 2019, lets play some CofD.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

nofather posted:

Pretty sure. There's only one place that it mentions natural intensity and that's in the Transhuman Potential section, and it's likely just using 'natural' to differentiate from its Tormented-altered Intensity.

It looks like naturally zeky don't have an Intensity on their own. They have powers that Contaminate an area, target, or object, with Intensity, and their Disquiet and Wastelands cause low-level (but capable of increasing) Intensity. If they use Transhuman Potential they gain an Intensity equal to their Azoth. And if they Torment they gain an Azoth of 8 (or 10, if they already have higher than 8 Azoth), which can make for nasty Torments.

This is the game that has powers like 'You're surrounded by an aura of bane, including to things that don't have banes.' But the Intensity coming from Transhuman Potential fits with the setting, so you don't have every zeky with Azoth 6+ instantly killing mortals they are in the general vicinity of, though they throw off a lot of radiation when using their powers or Disquiet.

You're probably meant to use the Quick and the Dead rules liberally so you don't have to constantly track when random NPCs take Bashing, too.

If that is how it works, then that is a bit less bad than what I first thought (though apparently "close contact with a Zeka" can make one Contaminated, under the section for that). Even then, I still think that Intensity = Azoth is too much though, especially when combined with their Torment cranking their Azoth up so high, though. That level of radiation is just farcical.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Jonas Albrecht posted:

:yeah:

Here's to hopefully actually running some games this year

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
My Zeky-level Hot Take is that nothing one can possibly write for a tabletop role-playing game is so important as to justify contracting with a sex pest.

I challenge these fools to a round of Double Write Boxing. I will out-write both of them, followed by a 2 on 1 boxing match, followed by more writing and more boxing, till they lie broken at my feet and I hold aloft the first draft of my new game, Punch Every Abuser.

Someone go tell them they're challenged, please. I'd do it myself but I'm carbo loading.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

My Zeky-level Hot Take is that nothing one can possibly write for a tabletop role-playing game is so important as to justify contracting with a sex pest.

I challenge these fools to a round of Double Write Boxing. I will out-write both of them, followed by a 2 on 1 boxing match, followed by more writing and more boxing, till they lie broken at my feet and I hold aloft the first draft of my new game, Punch Every Abuser.

Someone go tell them they're challenged, please. I'd do it myself but I'm carbo loading.
The Winner Is Or Shall Become The Founder Of The World of Darkness

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Okay, so in CtL 2E, navigating the Hedge is always considered a chase scene, at the very least between the characters and the Hedge itself. This is cool and good. My issue is I can't wrap my head around the chase rules at all, and especially not for how they would work in this scenario. What is edge, here? How would the Hedge gain edge? Some googling brought me to a discussion on the OPP message boards that talked about seizing the edge, what the heck is that? And, maybe most importantly, what dice pool do you actually roll for all of this? It kind of seems like you might just be able to roll anything?

Can anyone explain to me how chases are supposed to work in CoD games, and/or how navigating the Hedge as a chase is supposed to work?

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Digital Osmosis posted:

Okay, so in CtL 2E, navigating the Hedge is always considered a chase scene, at the very least between the characters and the Hedge itself. This is cool and good. My issue is I can't wrap my head around the chase rules at all, and especially not for how they would work in this scenario. What is edge, here? How would the Hedge gain edge? Some googling brought me to a discussion on the OPP message boards that talked about seizing the edge, what the heck is that? And, maybe most importantly, what dice pool do you actually roll for all of this? It kind of seems like you might just be able to roll anything?

Can anyone explain to me how chases are supposed to work in CoD games, and/or how navigating the Hedge as a chase is supposed to work?

Page 84 of the Chronicles core book starts covering chases and the edge. I'd quote stuff but I'm on mobile.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
So you're wanting to head on to Madame Scarecrow's good old Goblin Market and don't have a Trod to follow.

Since you're traveling alone, there are just two participants in the chase: You, and The Hedge.

Lemme just pull out a random Demon PC I have and pretend he's a changeling.... Okay, Speed 9, Initiative 5. And his wits and composure are 3 each, for 6 max clarity.

The Hedge is Speed 10 (it would be higher in The Thorns, and lower on a Trod), and its Initiative is 10-Clarity, so in this case, 4.

Tsavathiel has a target number of successes of 8 (base when in the hedge) +1 (Enemy speed is higher) -1 (Enemy Initiative is Lower) -1 (His Primum Wyrd). I feel like it'd be very fair to give him +2/+4 target successes, because his 'opponent' can't be tired and the terrain is likely quite dangerous, but we'll leave those out of the calculation for now. The hedge will also get a target number of successes of 8

The Hedge starts with a dice pool of 5, and it will grow by one each passing turn, with a LOT of factors that can increase this. For right now we'll assume none of them apply against Tsavathiel.

So since it's not really clear who has the Edge in this situation, it's a roll-off: Tsavathiel will be using Dex+Athletics (3) and the Hedge has its 5. The two roll off and 'tie' with one success each, and the exhibition grinds to a halt as there aren't any rules for adjudicating a tie on a contested roll. I'm going to go ahead and just give this to the Hedge, since it had the larger die pool to begin with. This lets the Hedge (rather, the GM) set the terms for what skill is going to be used for the first turn. I'll use the example from the book of Wits+Animal Ken as some gribbly hedgebeasts swarm around. Tsavathiel doesn't have that skill, so he opts for another skill: Wits+Investigation, following a scrubby trail. (3 wits + 2 investigation - 1 for 'wrong' skill, and he doesn't get 10-again. He's rolling off against the Hedge, which has 5 dice, PLUS 2 because it now has the edge. He blows his roll, as does, amazingly, the Hedge, so nobody makes progress this turn.

But The Hedge still has The Edge, gets to pick the dice pools to dictate the chase, and its dice pools increase by one every turn, while Tsavathiel's are going to actually shrink as he's forced to roll for skills he doesn't have to try and compete. A death spiral has taken effect, and Tsavathiel is extremely likely to bumble into Arcadia instead of heading down to the local goblin mart to get some milk.

To summarize: Edge lets you pick what the roll for each section of the chase is, you roll-off with the Hedge for ownership of it, and if you run faster then you're better at navigating because all those fey thoughts can't catch you.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Okay, this is a lot clearer now, thanks for the help! Two much smaller questions left: where does the +2 dice for having the edge come in? I don't see that in the chase rules in the CoD main book. Secondly, how does the edge get passed for navigating the Hedge? I get the impression that edge is mostly narrative, affecting maneuverability in the environment. In a chase in physical reality, an NPC chasing a PC can be out maneuvered and lose the edge if the PC moves the environment or comes up with a new way to navigate it. In the Hedge, however, the environment is mutable. If the ST, playing the Hedge, has the edge and keeps picking skills to use and keeps changing the environment to make those skills make sense, how the hell is the player ever going to get a chance to out maneuver the Hedge and the ST playing the Hedge?

Oh, and not a mechanics question, but - do you think the chase rules for navigating the Hedge work? The death spiral in your example seems all but inevitable for low Wyrd changelings. Is the game supposed to be played that any random changeling who wanders off well worn trods will almost inevitably get lost? Or do you think the math is just a bit wonky, but most changelings should generally make it to a goblin market that's not on a trod?

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
The +2 that the Hedge gets to its rolls is in the Changeling book page 201, in the 'Dice modifiers' sidebar. (It also gives more fun dice-adders for the Hedge, like 'the characters are in a hurry' giving the hedge +2)

I feel like the intent is that in a place that's as 'raw narrative' as the Hedge, it's fair enough to say that the 'context of the scene' might change fairly often, forcing new roll-offs to see who's got the Edge this time. There is also an optional rule for Seizing the Edge by guessing your successes on a roll.

It's my opinion that the math is wonky. I was willing to say 'well, okay, maybe it was intended that Dreamscaping is supposed to be an activity for 'advanced changelings' and that's why the dice stack so heavily against the player attempting to make dream-sculpting effects. Now that I've seen the same problem in another location of the book under close inspection, I'm beginning to have doubts as to how much playtesting these rules got.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I’m thinking of maybe trying to set up a 10-20 player Mage larp at some stage soon. Or maybe I’ll just run more tabletop. Either way, let’s all pretend to be wizards.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Mors Rattus posted:

OP doesn't usually announce specific dates after the Exalted kickstarter fiasco.

Scion was 18 months late from their initial release date.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I am think about trying the new Onyx Path system this year. Has anyone played much with it? I like that is similar enough to the white wolf system that it won't startle too many players away instantly, and the more narrative focus in the system is definitely way more modern.

How is the combat? The example in the Trinity book was interesting but I was wondering how smooth it is in actual play.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I am think about trying the new Onyx Path system this year. Has anyone played much with it? I like that is similar enough to the white wolf system that it won't startle too many players away instantly, and the more narrative focus in the system is definitely way more modern.

How is the combat? The example in the Trinity book was interesting but I was wondering how smooth it is in actual play.

My experience is that combat moves fast, but you definitely need to be aware that it expects you to throw out situational Enhancement the way you used to throw out situational dice mods.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

It may vary significantly between games. I have enough experience with Scion, at least, to know that the threads I glanced at about the Trinity Continuum system are describing some basic differences in how it works. (To wit, I recall a thread which asserted that it was possible to succeed on an attack in Trinity without actually dealing damage, because successes are spent to beat the difficulty before being spent on damage. In Scion, an attack which beats the difficulty set by Defense deals a point of damage for free.)

Target number 8, as is used in the Hero tier of Scion, is pretty unsatisfyingly swingy for Storypath's success-granular mechanics. It doesn't result in good gamefeel even if they're balanced out with liberal Enhancements.

I Am Just a Box fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jan 3, 2019

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Yeah, target number 8 drove me absolutely crazy and I felt like I couldn't succeed at things even in my area of heroic expertise.

(Also having only 1 MP for everything at Legend 1 is insane and I can't believe it went out the door like that.)

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Crasical posted:

I feel like the intent is that in a place that's as 'raw narrative' as the Hedge, it's fair enough to say that the 'context of the scene' might change fairly often, forcing new roll-offs to see who's got the Edge this time. There is also an optional rule for Seizing the Edge by guessing your successes on a roll.

It's my opinion that the math is wonky. I was willing to say 'well, okay, maybe it was intended that Dreamscaping is supposed to be an activity for 'advanced changelings' and that's why the dice stack so heavily against the player attempting to make dream-sculpting effects. Now that I've seen the same problem in another location of the book under close inspection, I'm beginning to have doubts as to how much playtesting these rules got.

ah, the classic WoD problem of rolling to figure out how to roll!

And... yeah, seems like it. They even upped the prominence of Dreamscaping in the setting by tying it into the Hedge, another good idea. But even if Dreamscaping is supposed to be "advanced" it seems really weird that a random Wyrd 1 changeling has the odds stacked against it trying to use the Hedge for anything. (On the other hand, they did introduce Hedge Ghosts, so maybe that's working as intended?) I remember the rules for Dreamscaping seeming pointlessly difficult in CtL 1E too, because... oh no, what if we let our PCs affect the dreams of NPCs? How will the ST ever regain control after ceding such important narrative power???

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Digital Osmosis posted:

And... yeah, seems like it. They even upped the prominence of Dreamscaping in the setting by tying it into the Hedge, another good idea. But even if Dreamscaping is supposed to be "advanced" it seems really weird that a random Wyrd 1 changeling has the odds stacked against it trying to use the Hedge for anything. (On the other hand, they did introduce Hedge Ghosts, so maybe that's working as intended?) I remember the rules for Dreamscaping seeming pointlessly difficult in CtL 1E too, because... oh no, what if we let our PCs affect the dreams of NPCs? How will the ST ever regain control after ceding such important narrative power???

You say this, but just imagine some Persona 5-esque Dreamscapers looking to see if they can make bad people be better by screwing with their dreams 24/7.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Archonex posted:

You say this, but just imagine some Persona 5-esque Dreamscapers looking to see if they can make bad people be better by screwing with their dreams 24/7.

The answer to every situation like this in storypath/narrator/wod/cod/cofd/docf/whatever system is to loudly exclaim "Wow, What An Ideal Group of Antagonists" and respond accordingly.

Let players be the bad guys in the world! That's the best stuff to react to as ST. Also, "good folk gone bad trying to fix bad folk" is Classic World Of Darkness for you.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

And yeah, isn't "oh crap, we're acting like True Fae" kind of the reason Clarity is a thing?

Also everything worked out pretty well in the end for the Persona 5 crew AND for Japan, so :colbert: (Fae Steed is a merit to let you have a catbus)

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I Am Just a Box posted:

It may vary significantly between games. I have enough experience with Scion, at least, to know that the threads I glanced at about the Trinity Continuum system are describing some basic differences in how it works. (To wit, I recall a thread which asserted that it was possible to succeed on an attack in Trinity without actually dealing damage, because successes are spent to beat the difficulty before being spent on damage.

Yeah, that is something I thought was odd. I kinda like the idea of being able to decide if your attack actually does damage or just hinders them in another way. Looking at the Trinity book, without a bunch of enhancements you are only getting like two successes on stuff your guy is good at.

Not being able to one shot big enemies is nice in a cinematic system, but it is surprising that Scions and Psions have such a big difference in the combat system.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Yeah, that is something I thought was odd. I kinda like the idea of being able to decide if your attack actually does damage or just hinders them in another way. Looking at the Trinity book, without a bunch of enhancements you are only getting like two successes on stuff your guy is good at.

Not being able to one shot big enemies is nice in a cinematic system, but it is surprising that Scions and Psions have such a big difference in the combat system.

Scion makes it much harder to do more than one damage, however; 2 is nearing the upper limit of what you can do with a single attack.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

Digital Osmosis posted:

Is it not... REALLY WEIRD if they went 'here's this magical fantastical realm, but no, you're not supposed to explore it, it's FAR too dangerous until you level grind a bunch, just stick to the real world until you've raised your skills and wyrd a bunch'?

I don't get that impression from the text at all. I don't think this was intended.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I get wanting to indicate that the Hedge is a scary place, especially for a lone changeling relatively fresh from their Durance, but that math looks far too punishing for my taste. It should feel like a risk, not a foregone 'you're effed'. And Dreamscaping-- I mean, where are you supposed to even get started with only a couple of dice?

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
Were you the one asking if there were rules on a tie in a contested roll?

Anyways I think the idea with the Hedge is it's very much a 'don't go alone' type of place, and it's not someplace to just wander around, you seem to get penalized if you're there without a reason. Or at least, if you're not there for a reason, the Hedge will take you to someplace appropriate, which isn't necessarily where you want to be. Keep in mind that it's not just there to shuffle you from death trap to death trap.

So grab a buddy or two, hold hands, and have a goal in mind.

nofather fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jan 4, 2019

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
I literally just had a pair of my players get their characters and go jogging to the local GoblinConvenienceStore to get a 6 pack of Hedgecider together along a trod.

One of them failed and got lost.
Some further testing had the one 'lost' changeling absolutely crush the chase because they won the Edge at the start and got to pick all the skills she was good at.

I think that coming in groups might actually be the worst thing you can do? A group of people with a diverse skill set is going to have to 'pass the ball' around to hit skills that they're good at, while the hedge is always good at the skill being used, and it just gets better and better every passing turn.

Insofar as 'it's not just there to shuffle you from death trap to death trap', that is true, but "Its goal is always to lure travelers off the path into the Thorns, or closer to Arcadia", and both of those are Bad Things.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Personally I'd let the PCs share the Edge and share their target in the chase, but only one of them can roll per interval (and if they get lost maybe they're split up). That way it's the aggregate of the group vs the Hedge, and seems much more manageable.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
That'd be sensible and reasonable but it's actually not what the rules say.

"It’s possible for some characters to succeed and some to fail, though, so sometimes changelings give up their victories to help out companions left behind or whisked away. Failure with direct opposition usually means a fight or some other confrontation. Failure without direct opposition means the characters ended up somewhere the Hedge decided they should be, rather than wherever they were trying to go. If the Hedge beats everybody involved, they all end up wherever the Hedge was herding them."

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
I think you're allowed to use Teamwork rules for that kind of stuff, providing everyone's working together. Like with Hedgespinning (it gets into this a few pages later), having one actor (a guide) with the buffs from others helping can allow for more successes.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Nessus posted:

The Winner Is Or Shall Become The Founder Of The World of Darkness

I would be down with playing a Land Titan who has to out-write another were-elephant on Elephant Erotica. A PBP Achewood setting game might be really fun.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

More CtL2E chat: Is it just me, or does Wyrd seem more powerful than other power stats? Some of it is from stuff like the hedge going from being a death sentence at Wyrd 1 to useful and relatively low risk at Wyrd 4 to "an instant secret passage to anywhere in the world" at Wyrd 8, but the whole free successes equal to your Wyrd on contracts when you drop your mask thing seems a little crazy too. You could theoretically be dropping 10L sunbeam blasts every turn if you wanted to. Although I guess at a 10 in any powerstat game balance kind of goes out the window...

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Changeling has always kind of relied on the Wyrd stat more than other splats, giving changelings fairly lenient dice pools for their magic.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

'10L at a pop' powers have lost a lot of their terror in the hands of PCs for me, because I've gotten used to Mages being able to absolutely fry things with direct damage magic.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Just saw on Twitter that Jacob Burgess, who wrote some stuff for Wraith 20, is apparently going to write something for Vampire. So I guess we are still getting books and kinda soon?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Dawgstar posted:

Just saw on Twitter that Jacob Burgess, who wrote some stuff for Wraith 20, is apparently going to write something for Vampire. So I guess we are still getting books and kinda soon?

Modiphius definitely isn't gonna just sit on the license, no. We'll have to see how this goes.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

For the record because we absolutely should vet our WW writers, Burgess seems like an okay dude. I've watched his Let's Play of Vampire: Bloodlines and he both knows his World o' Darkness lore and also turned up his nose at the really awful stuff in Bloodlines that did not age well so hopefully such things would not find their way into his work.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
So, I took part in a Chronicles of Darkness larp trilogy here in Finland and played a ghoul who died and was turned into Sin-Eater. A friend made a really neat painting of that character:
https://imgur.com/a/rVAwDA2

I was wondering if anyone here is interested in hearing about WoD/nWod larps here? The one related to the V5 launch was not the only one, by any means. And since our laws are rather drasticly different from US ones the whole setup is also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Ataxerxes posted:

I was wondering if anyone here is interested in hearing about WoD/nWod larps here? The one related to the V5 launch was not the only one, by any means. And since our laws are rather drasticly different from US ones the whole setup is also.

I would! I enjoy the LARP format as a theater-style game, but American versions have a lot of inherent problems that crop up over and over, so a lot of them either start toxic, or quickly spiral into a similar kind of toxicity that has justifiably ruined the format for a lot of people. I still hold out hope of organizing a mature* game someday that tries to minimize those toxins, so especially any meta-organization details are particular interesting to me.

* mature as in - 'This is how we deal with after care', 'this is our red-card system', etc, not just 'You might see some tiddies and butts'

Barbed Tongues fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jan 8, 2019