Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I was also going to complain about how Narancia saves himself at the end of the fight with Formaggio, but in the process of typing out the explanation I actually realized that what happens makes perfect sense. :v:

(I was wondering why the amount of spider venom in Narancia's body didn't grow along with him when he returned to normal size, but it makes sense once you realize that Formaggio was defeated and his power dissipated -- it's not that Narancia and everything on his person grew, it's that it all returned to normal, including the spider venom which was tiny to begin with.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I don't know if I would say Hamon is more forgivable. If anything, it's comparable. I suppose you could say that Gold Experience stands out as a return to the overly open-ended nature of Hamon, though, after Araki switched over to giving people stricter power sets.

Star Platinum I just chalk up to early installment weirdness considering Star Finger happens twice in the manga in two back-to-back fights before never reappearing. Similarly with super breath. Not sure if he ever used super vision again, either.

All of Star Platinum's stuff is explicable as it being the super-strong Stand of a guy with a trained Hamon practitioner for a grandfather. Super-strong lungs let you breathe super hard, and the Star Finger is basically a more focused Zoom Punch.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Also Star Platinum winning by some asspull was very much the exception and not the rule. Most of the time the gang figured out the bad guy's trick so that SP could just beat the poo poo out of them in a direct fight.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

there's no actual difference between poo poo like star platinum's star finger and gold experience's life punch + damage reflection. it only ever happens early and then it's dropped because jojo is a 30+ year old series where most of it was spent with the artist having to put out content weekly and sometimes as you go further in a thing you realize something is dumb and never revisit it because it's not like you can magically go back and change what you've already turned in and gotten published.

gold experience as a whole doesn't super excite me but it's mainly due to aspects that haven't 100% been touched on yet so i won't elaborate. it's something that has a lot of applications that aren't explored, just like crazy diamond, so after a point you just have to roll with it. part 5 has some of my favorite fights in the series, probably handily more on average than most, if not all, other parts, so y'all are just gonna have to trust me when i say right now that giorno involved or no, there's some good poo poo that's going to go down.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The main difference is that star finger is used to finish people off after their stand is already beaten, and if you removed it you would need to go to zero effort to change the fight (have him throw a rock instead, done)

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
To play Devil's advocate, Giorno has also not been in a good position to use the life punch since Bruno. Black Sabbath was automatic, Zucchero and Soft Machine were hiding, and Illuso could just leave GE outside.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

there's really not situations for giorno punching a dude to be super helpful or even remotely safe as people are going to notice with pretty much nearly every enemy stand. part 5 is when stand users are very much more explicitly ramping up towards being outright murderous assholes for a whole host of reasons. the sleepy, quiet japanese town is no longer the focus. but yeah, the life punch kind of naturally disappears for pretty blatant reasons.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

Tunicate posted:

The main difference is that star finger is used to finish people off after their stand is already beaten, and if you removed it you would need to go to zero effort to change the fight (have him throw a rock instead, done)

Not really though? Jotaro uses star finger because he can't move properly due to the barnacles and the whirpool.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think life punch is OK because it's introduced fairly early in the fight and basically just gives Giorno a way to win if he can actually connect with Bruno a second time. Ultimately it's part of the puzzle rather than the solution to it (this also applies to stuff like Polnareff not being able to see through SC's eyes and Star Platinum: The World). It's more when a stand gets some convenient new ability that perfectly bails it out of a situation that it feels unsatisfying.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Johnny Joestar posted:

sometimes as you go further in a thing you realize something is dumb and never revisit it because it's not like you can magically go back and change what you've already turned in and gotten published.

Somewhere, inexplicably, George Lucas stirs in his slumber.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Tevery Best posted:

Somewhere, inexplicably, George Lucas stirs in his slumber.
When DavidPro changed around the order of those stand fights in Part 4 for the sake of "narrative flow," they did not just violate my childhood, they took away my ability to feel human.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I wonder how DIO would feel about Giorno if he was alive. He didn't have a good relationship with his dad, but I wonder if he'd want his son to join him or he'd just see him as another Joestar to get rid of.

I feel like he'd probably be approving of Giorno's plan to take over a mafia of Stand Users, at least.

"My son is barely a teenager and he's trying to be a mafia boss? Okay I guess"

"He scammed an agent of the Speedwagon foundation? THAT'S MY SON!"

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

There is absolutely no way DIO gave a poo poo about, or even knew about the SWF

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

multijoe posted:

I'm pretty sure the anime had him mention them by name. Manga-wise, though, probably not.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

multijoe posted:

He knows who Speedwagon was, he also knows who Joseph was when he came back from the coffin as well as Jotaro, which means he has to know what is financing all these half the world trips. Having been completely beaten by Jotaro, having his son steal some of Speedwagon's trust fund is a petty victory.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Speedwagon didn't become an oil baron until after Dio was out of the picture, so as far as he knows, Speedwagon was just gutter trash.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

100 years later, DIO still wonders why and how Jonathan made friends with a guy with an Oddjob hat.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Goldfinger was Dio's favorite of the Bond films.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

lol Bkub (Pop Team Epic creator) just tweeted this

https://twitter.com/bkub_comic/status/1080474858318835713

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I'm surprised it wasn't something more like

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/bkub_comic/status/1079386420878336000

https://twitter.com/bkub_comic/status/1078599715560644608

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Having finally taken the time to sit down and watch last week's episode, all I have to say is...

That was some hilariously absurd bullshit and I can't wait to see more.

... Well, no, that's a lie, there is one thing that I'm wondering about.

Why did the virus capsule pop off of Purple Haze's knuckle when Man in the Mirror blocked his punch? Was it established in the previous episode that those things can just pop off like that?

But yeah, the episode was still fun and I spent pretty much the last half of it just dying to see what kind of crazy bullshit Giorno had come up with, and was not disappointed. :allears:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Either Purple Haze can launch it or the sudden stop caused it to go flying.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yearly reminder of my friend Jeff Platinum, brother of Star.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

W.T. Fits posted:

Having finally taken the time to sit down and watch last week's episode, all I have to say is...

That was some hilariously absurd bullshit and I can't wait to see more.

... Well, no, that's a lie, there is one thing that I'm wondering about.

Why did the virus capsule pop off of Purple Haze's knuckle when Man in the Mirror blocked his punch? Was it established in the previous episode that those things can just pop off like that?

But yeah, the episode was still fun and I spent pretty much the last half of it just dying to see what kind of crazy bullshit Giorno had come up with, and was not disappointed. :allears:

Purple Haze can shoot its capsules. Not very far, but it can shoot them.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

That's not Star Platinum. That's his cousin, Steve Platinum.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Josuke Higashikata posted:

This looks like it belongs on the Bootleg Stuff twitter.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

https://twitter.com/bkub_comic/status/1072480581915734016

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

A lesser studio probably would’ve rewritten the snake gambit to be less ridiculous. Luckily, David Pro is operating on a higher level than us mere mortals

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Jojo is so ridiculously popular it'd be a really bad idea to rewrite any scenes. David Pro has done a good job doing everything they can like rearranging arcs, adding new scenes, ect.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
They rearranged the scenes in part 4 and even added in a hilariously dark line for Aya after she was canonically dead in the manga (something to the effect of "Well I don't think the killer would ever come to my salon").

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
How did Kira even know about her stand ability anyway?

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
the anime actually added a bit iirc of Kira seeing Yukako (and maybe Koichi too) going into the salon, and since the people of Morioh seemed to be hyping up Cinderella's as a miracle worker, I could see Kira maybe putting some dots together

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

There seemed to be the implication he was watching the main cast for a bit after his encounter with Shigechi. The anime also added a shot of him in front of Aya's salon before his two-parter.

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe
We need a JoJo version of this

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Bina posted:

We need a JoJo version of this

this but replace all the oreos with kakyoin

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Kakyoin's the O&O because its middle has been annihilated

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

rero rero rero rero

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
I'm pretty new to JoJo, have only watched anime, and holy poo poo does this part rule. Not as good as Part 4 so far, but I feel like it's pretty hard to top "Twin Peaks but JoJo".
I really didn't expect that I'd like the anime as much as I do. Watched Parts 1 and 2 with my bf, laughed at some parts, but nothing more. Part 3 had a slow start, and I think I imagined stands as being always humanoid punchdudes, which wasn't exciting. First few battles didn't really have anything to them, and we thought about dropping it for sometime, but somewhere around loving car being a stand and episodes having less fighting and more 4D chess, we both fell in love with how dumb everything was. Legit think that me saying "Eh, let's watch one more episode" after the underwater (I think that was the Moon?) fight was one of the best desicions I made last year.