Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Plutonis posted:

Finally a comprehensive article on how the guardian went full neoliberal once Greenwald left...

It was the editorship changing to Katherine viner who also completely hosed over the previous editor who was supoosed to get onto the board of the trust that owns the guardian

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
did the NSA leaks lead to the government wanting to exercise control over the paper or something?

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

mila kunis posted:

going through brazilian twitter and idk if its a bunch of bots but if not it seems like brazilians are a bunch of *loud honking noise so i dont eat a probe*

I'm seriously convinced that brazilian white people are the worst people in the world

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Symbolic Butt posted:

I'm seriously convinced that brazilian white people are the worst people in the world

<USA anthem intensifies>

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 22 days!)

https://twitter.com/latuffcartoons/status/1080186003485323264?s=21

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

is brazil going to move its embassy to jerusalem or is netanyahu full of hot air?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

get that OUT of my face posted:

is brazil going to move its embassy to jerusalem or is netanyahu full of hot air?

There has been zero blowback from it, so it will probably happen.

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

That's bolzi's plan, yeah, he's been talking about it all over since the campaign. The evangelical hard right is bent on collecting that promise, pastors on twitter (stupidest timeline theory is real lmao) are already making noise about how their flock's support hangs on this issue. If I had to guess I'd say bolzi will fold to all their demands immediately whenever they are issued.

Plutonis posted:

I've recently seen poo poo recently like people trying to claim Integralism as the 'woke' and 'chill' fascism too even though while Plinio Salgado didn't had any outward hostility to mixed race/black people, they had a lot of antisemitism mixed in.

An integralist fact I learned recently is that PRTB, the vice-president Mourão's party, openly sponsored integralist/national front concerts in São Paulo.

And as I looked it up for this post I found this interview on a libertarian rag where they invite integralists to "share their views".

I doubt bolzi would go full Duterte, but Mourão most definitely would, and in a possible impeachment poo poo would go full military coup real loving fast.
PRTB is the fashest legal party in Brazil, they're real real loving tiny and headed by notorious idiot Levy Fidelix who came on several presidential races with less than 1% using his time to insult homosexuals saying excretory organs do not reproduce, and promote his pet project which is a long distance aerial monorail.
Of course, he's their party's only senator and leader, a step away from executive power with a bumbling baffoon as his only obstacle, so I guess he's not so stupid after all, Mourão was straight up recruited into politics from the ranks by his hand and got the vice post when all other possible names were insane new-right icons who would be political time bombs.
Mourão is also insane and a time-bomb, during the campaign he blurted out poo poo like "abolish the minimum wage" and "single moms raise criminals" which were real political stinkers the marketing department rushed to fix, he also had spats with bolzi and now is asking for investigation on the obvious giant corruption scheme the bolsokids are running, but he's military and old so you can know exactly what to expect of him, unlike the other candidates for vice which were bombastic unreliable lunatics who cropped up during the anti-PT tide.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

bagual posted:

I doubt bolzi would go full Duterte
what makes you say that? bolso's rhetoric about what police and the military should do to crack down on crime are identical to what duterte has said. if anything, bolso being duterte might be the best-case scenario for brazil

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

what makes you say that? bolso's rhetoric about what police and the military should do to crack down on crime are identical to what duterte has said. if anything, bolso being duterte might be the best-case scenario for brazil

I think bolso's going to give police chart-blanche to kill and will help the paramilitary militias take over drug trafficking, but not in an all-out invade everything at once way. I think his style is Rio-like constant brutal oppression alongside relative "normality". He named Zezé Perrela as minister of sports, the mysterious owner not-owner of the 500 ton cokecopter, who literally admitted to trafficking drugs in a police bugged conversation with former right-wing superstar Aecio Neves, and got no flak for either case, him being on the government is telling of the realities of his ruling coalition's relationship with the drug trade. Bolso's decisions are gonna kill a lot of people, but organized crime's structure will probably profit from it, corrupt cops licensed to kill are a great asset for the drug factions. He also will probably try to maintain a democratic facade.
Mourão on the other hand will absolutely send tank columns to Brasilia, use artillery on favelas, display tortured demonstrators publicly like in the 60's, because he's a true model of brazilian military high ranking officers, dumb as a brick, an absolute psychopath, and will most definitely kick down your door and murder you without hesitation then laugh about it later. Bolzi got kicked out of the army for a failed terrorist plot, he's generally incompetent, while Mourão managed to get to general and has received support from other retired and active brazilian top brass, which suggests he might get a working dictatorship going if given the chance.

edit: now that I think about it, I guess Bolso will really be closer to Duterte, Mourão being a Castelo Branco

bagual has issued a correction as of 05:25 on Jan 2, 2019

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Plutonis posted:

I've recently seen poo poo recently like people trying to claim Integralism as the 'woke' and 'chill' fascism too even though while Plinio Salgado didn't had any outward hostility to mixed race/black people, they had a lot of antisemitism mixed in.

Here he's being sold as a Salazar-type figure, which amazing that a potential candidate for Environment Minister of Brazil was outright Personaed Non Grata out of Portugal for making fun of the Portuguese electing him as the best guy from an online poll. And that the only actual major media organ going "Wait, why is our president going to his inauguration in the first place?" is the state tv one. Hell, there was barely any coverage of the whole "Shoving journalists into blacked out rooms during the innaguration" thing or "The only way of making the flag red is if we get bloodied during it" part and purely pinning it as a "Oh, it's just lefties being closeminded about it" thing. Again, this is the same media apparatus that got extremely mad at a semi-senile political party head for dismissing journalists by talking in german, including the Monday pundit that was making "lol politically correct elite" jabs.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
EDIT: they deleted the tweet finally, but have a print

Thats Viktor Orbán, by the way

Elias_Maluco has issued a correction as of 15:54 on Jan 2, 2019

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Day 2: The demarcation of indigenous territory will now be in the hands of the Ministry of Agriculture instead of FUNAI (The Indigenous People's National Foundation).

cool

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Dias posted:

Day 2: The demarcation of indigenous territory will now be in the hands of the Ministry of Agriculture instead of FUNAI (The Indigenous People's National Foundation).

cool

And the ministry is completely staffed with the agrobusiness lobby btw

Metal Cat
Dec 25, 2017

Metal Cat has issued a correction as of 04:12 on Oct 8, 2021

Metal Cat
Dec 25, 2017

Metal Cat has issued a correction as of 04:13 on Oct 8, 2021

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Dias posted:

cool

https://twitter.com/jairbolsonaro/status/1080468589298229253

"More than 15% of national land is demarcated as indigenous and quilombola land. Less than half a million people live on these isolated places, explored and manipulated by ONGs. We are going to integrate those citizens and value all brazilians"

Elias_Maluco has issued a correction as of 17:56 on Jan 2, 2019

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Love to hyper accelerate climate change

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
Culture ministry is gone with a penstroke.

Edit: Labor ministry as well

bagual has issued a correction as of 18:01 on Jan 2, 2019

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

I guess this can be useful

https://twitter.com/textfiles/status/1080512855345123338?s=19

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/luizaprado/status/1080457218024194049

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Elias_Maluco posted:

https://twitter.com/jairbolsonaro/status/1080468589298229253

"More than 15% of national land is demarcated as indigenous and quilombola land. Less than half a million people live on these isolated places, explored and manipulated by ONGs. We are going to integrate those citizens and value all brazilians"
‘Previously, demarcation of indigenous reserves was controlled by the indigenous agency Funai, which has been moved from the justice ministry to a new ministry of women, family and human rights controlled by an evangelical pastor.

Separately, the incoming health minister, Luiz Henrique Mandetta, suggested on Wednesday that there would be spending cuts on healthcare for indigenous people. “We have figures for the general public that are much below what is spent on healthcare for the indigenous,” he said, without providing details.’

actual straight-up genocide incoming

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
so this is what competent fascism looks like

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Kurtofan posted:

so this is what competent fascism looks like

Eh, I wouldn't call it competent just yet, those are just layups.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Dias posted:

Eh, I wouldn't call it competent just yet, those are just layups.

lets hope so, I hate seeing a vibrant culture die like that

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Rip uncontacted peoples, rip amazon, rip earth

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

evangelicals are subhuman. guess where it was imported from

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 04:17 on Jan 3, 2019

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
https://twitter.com/jairbolsonaro/status/1080461738666012672

drat brazil sounds cool wish they'd taught me marxism in school

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

There goes my history teacher career.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
cool read, this stuck out: http://www.brasilwire.com/brazil-solidarity-initiative-editor-daniel-hunt-speaks-at-uk-parliament/

quote:

Most importantly, it needs to be plainly understood that Bolsonaro was placed in a winning position ONLY through the last minute removal of the leading candidate, political prisoner Lula da Silva, who was jailed for 12 years on a nonsensical charge by Bolsonaro’s own Justice Minister to be, in a joint operation in collaboration with the US Department of Justice.

Even this alone should be an international outrage.

And it gets worse, the chief of the armed forces General Villas Boas has admitted that he intentionally threatened the Supreme Court so that they would not release Lula. The court voted to deny him habeas corpus by a single vote, of a visibly frightened Rosa Weber, who explained that she was voting against her own opinion. This was a decision that changed the course of Brazilian history.

the hell happened there

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Fascism happened

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mila kunis posted:

gently caress the replies make me sick and twitter needs to be burned to the ground

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Twitter doesnt like me calling fascists scumbags :thunk:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i don't get what marxist garbage the right wingers refer to

like I legit am confused have they not been to school?

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

mila kunis posted:

lol yall are so hosed. get out

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 22 days!)

Nothing raises your education rankings like attacking the academy.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

cowards gonna coward

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Symbolic Butt posted:

they're no different than white people anywhere imo