Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

What I want to know is why hasn't anyone ripped the SFX for this game? There's quite a bit I'd love to use for notifications on my phone...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

KataraniSword posted:

In easier content and/or with the right support, you can do a mixed physical/magic team. The thing is that you don't want to use two SBs to only boost half your party each, you want to use one to boost your entire party. That's why OK's BSB was hot poo poo when it first came out; it was one of the first SBs of its kind that gave an attack boost and a magic boost, on top of the Hastega.

But when it comes to things like Torments and Crystal Towers, you absolutely want to stick to one or the other, and 5* Magicite (as well as most Nightmare puzzle bosses) make it pretty much mandatory to specialize.

yeah what i’m saying is maybe secret hitler needs the basics explained before we start talking about exceptions to the rule

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

for example, to start with get cloud’s and tyro’s levels up until you get their record materia that lets a character start with a soul break’s worth of charge from the start of battle. then get ramza and tidus up until you get their record materia that boosts the amount of soul break charge a character gets from any action they take. bam, one of the most simple things i’ve known since time immemorial, but just would gently caress up someone who doesn’t know about it.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

hey there’s this thing called haste that lets your guys act literally twice as often. it used to be you needed to take along a soul break that gave it to your party (which is still the typical way of getting it), but now there’s a 5* ability version of it you can make too just in case. It is factored in baseline for being able to tackle even slightly harder bosses. You need it.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

When are they gonna implement Super Haste

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Oh trust me, I have everyone that matters leveled up to either 65 or 80 with a handful at 99. Cloud's stats are maxed out with everything I can muster (I use him as my example because this loving game has decided to grace me with everything of his apparently) and I have healers, magic users, summoners, and Sephiroth all as maxed out as I can without putting actual money into it. I also do not want to put money into this turd so if the solution is to but more gatchas I may finally delete this poo poo and free myself from this stupid stressful bullshit excuse of a game.

I mean the only thing I still don't understand is all the "rws" and "rofks" and other gibberish you make up (well, and anything past the nightmare dungeons) but other than that this has been a "auto-battle until boss fight than spam attacks" game up until this poo poo.

eelmonger
Jun 20, 2008

private message posted:

I initially tried OK instead of a 2nd healer and had pretty good luck, but was having trouble balancing making sure Aerith had enough meter and being able to refresh OK's pUSB by 30 seconds. Maybe I'll put hastega on Aerith instead of dispel. Did you bother with dispel on Aerith? And does Flash Disaster generate SB fast enough to make it worth using over Wrath?

Can you post your abilities/LMRs for that party? I'm going to give it another shot with OK.

To avoid a lot of typing, I'll just point you to my setup on Reddit. I actually just did a couple Famfrit runs last night and had to refer back to it to remember who did what and everything still worked.

For your specific questions, Aerith using Valigarmanda helps a lot with the meter build, it's chip damage, but 6*s hitting witness gives a lot of SB. Also, when developing the run, I basically needed the AI open in front of me to see what turns were safe and which needed the last stand. I did give her dispel, probably couldn't sub30 without it, but I think I could still win.

I was too cheap to make flash disaster or dive OK since I didn't need them, but my understanding is that flash disaster will outperform wrath while also doing damage, plus OK has a dual cast celerity LM. So unless you need very specific thresholds or are low on crystals, flash disaster wins.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Oh trust me, I have everyone that matters leveled up to either 65 or 80 with a handful at 99. Cloud's stats are maxed out with everything I can muster (I use him as my example because this loving game has decided to grace me with everything of his apparently) and I have healers, magic users, summoners, and Sephiroth all as maxed out as I can without putting actual money into it. I also do not want to put money into this turd so if the solution is to but more gatchas I may finally delete this poo poo and free myself from this stupid stressful bullshit excuse of a game.

I mean the only thing I still don't understand is all the "rws" and "rofks" and other gibberish you make up (well, and anything past the nightmare dungeons) but other than that this has been a "auto-battle until boss fight than spam attacks" game up until this poo poo.

Why are you seemingly obsessed with clearing the nightmares to get access to magicites? Going back through your posts you seem to have a mismash of fairly low power relics except for Bartz. Why not just complete the events as they come and eventually once you've built up a stable of characters and abilities come back to the Nightmare dungeons? I mean based on your posting all the magicite fights are going to do is piss you off because they're all puzzly gimmicky fights for the most part that take a lot of setup when starting out.

Like what is it you're looking to get out of the game that is pushing you toward the endgame content?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

PneumonicBook posted:

Like what is it you're looking to get out of the game that is pushing you toward the endgame content?

I have been playing this game on and off since 2015 and would like to stop sitting at this content wall that I have for the last two-three years? :shrug: I have every available character and am running out of desire to replay the same events over and over, especially when I can't participate in the event battles that actually earn you neat stuff like 5* job motes.

The sunk-cost fallacy has me neck deep in this poo poo. I just wanted to play a Final Fantasy game that let me play as my favorite characters that everyone loves to shun like Zack, Beatrix, and Laguna.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

I have been playing this game on and off since 2015 and would like to stop sitting at this content wall that I have for the last two-three years? :shrug: I have every available character and am running out of desire to replay the same events over and over, especially when I can't participate in the event battles that actually earn you neat stuff like 5* job motes.

The sunk-cost fallacy has me neck deep in this poo poo. I just wanted to play a Final Fantasy game that let me play as my favorite characters that everyone loves to shun like Zack, Beatrix, and Laguna.

That makes sense. With no context it just seemed like you were smashing your head on the wall for funsies. Have you looked at the Nightmare guides on Reddit? That's what I used when I came back to the game and it mostly worked out. Or failing that using roaming warriors can probably trivialize some of the fights but I don't know off hand which RW's would demolish which record. If someone does and wanted to post something I'm sure the thread has enough relics to push you through some of the fights.

private message
Aug 22, 2004
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

eelmonger posted:

To avoid a lot of typing, I'll just point you to my setup on Reddit. I actually just did a couple Famfrit runs last night and had to refer back to it to remember who did what and everything still worked.

For your specific questions, Aerith using Valigarmanda helps a lot with the meter build, it's chip damage, but 6*s hitting witness gives a lot of SB. Also, when developing the run, I basically needed the AI open in front of me to see what turns were safe and which needed the last stand. I did give her dispel, probably couldn't sub30 without it, but I think I could still win.

I was too cheap to make flash disaster or dive OK since I didn't need them, but my understanding is that flash disaster will outperform wrath while also doing damage, plus OK has a dual cast celerity LM. So unless you need very specific thresholds or are low on crystals, flash disaster wins.

I was able to pull it off with this party in 37:26:

Thanks for the advice! Replacing Aerith's Curada with dispel was key, along with switching Kain from position 3 to 2. This let him survive the first Savage Briny in phase 3 and get off another USB. Also reading his turn order makes the fight much more relaxed.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

It really does bottleneck you at the Nightmare Dungeon --> Magicite point. I stopped playing halfway through the Nightmare Dungeons because they just felt like a huge slog. It's pretty obvious to me these were intended to be done as they were released initially. Coming up to them now it just looks like a chore.

I keep telling myself that I'll get around to it eventually, as I'm pretty sure I could finish them if I put some actual effort into it. But mostly I just log in for rewards, do a mission or two to nab musical scores and/or costumes and not much else these days.

eelmonger
Jun 20, 2008

private message posted:

I was able to pull it off with this party in 37:26:

Thanks for the advice! Replacing Aerith's Curada with dispel was key, along with switching Kain from position 3 to 2. This let him survive the first Savage Briny in phase 3 and get off another USB. Also reading his turn order makes the fight much more relaxed.

Congrats! Yeah, Famfrit's turn order in particular is really helpful since it's amazing how few turns he's actually capable of killing you, and keeping my main DPS in those top 2 slots has saved a handful of my runs.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

It really does bottleneck you at the Nightmare Dungeon --> Magicite point. I stopped playing halfway through the Nightmare Dungeons because they just felt like a huge slog. It's pretty obvious to me these were intended to be done as they were released initially. Coming up to them now it just looks like a chore.

I keep telling myself that I'll get around to it eventually, as I'm pretty sure I could finish them if I put some actual effort into it. But mostly I just log in for rewards, do a mission or two to nab musical scores and/or costumes and not much else these days.

I don't think the bottleneck is as real it looks. The real progression in terms of difficulty is Nightmare -> Motes -> Magicite. If you do the nightmares when you aren't powerful enough to just stomp all over them (apart from a couple of the gimmickier ones), you don't actually unlock any battles you have a hope of winning yet.

HGS seemed to think unlocking magicites would help with the mote dungeons, but it won't.

As for paying for gatcha, I'm completely free-to-play, been playing for a bit less than six months, and I've just recently finished the 3* magicites and beaten one 4*. You don't need to pay to get past this wall.

Qwertycoatl fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jan 3, 2019

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Qwertycoatl posted:

I don't think the bottleneck is as real it looks. The real progression in terms of difficulty is Nightmare -> Motes -> Magicite. If you do the nightmares when you aren't powerful enough to just stomp all over them (apart from a couple of the gimmickier ones), you don't actually unlock any battles you have a hope of winning yet.

HGS seemed to think unlocking magicites would help with the mote dungeons, but it won't.

Absolutely this. I am very much NOT f2p, and even so, the jump in difficulty from nightmares/motes to 3 star magicite is ridiculously large. If you have trouble with the mote dungeons, where you get a free 2 bars for everyone off the bat, the 3 star magicite will push your poo poo in.

My biggest problem with the game right now, actually, is that the huge jump there has nothing to help you span it, where previously the jump start battles used to kind of fit, and give you 5 star mote to dive people to cross the gap. Now the closest thing available is the 240 torments, which are completely different thematically, since new players often won't have anywhere near a full realm team.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
I'll admit, I got more bored than anything else. I have literal hundred of weapons I've been accumulating ever since the game came out that I need to sift through and unlock the abilities of. The game is just such a poorly programmed laggy mess anywhere except during the actual battles that simply going down the list of items to see what I've got and who I should level makes me want to shoot myself. And activating the forced GPU does very little to improve it, with the added caveat of making my phone begin to boil.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
They've gotten slightly better at that. You can sort levels by "non-max" and weapons/armor by Soul Breaks/Legendary Materia not yet mastered.

It's still a pain, though.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

again i'm the laziest person in this thread when it comes to this lovely little phone game but having it around since 2015 and you're still fielding guys at level 80 and stuff? are you just sitting on a dragon's horde of experience eggs or what?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

NinjaDebugger posted:

Absolutely this. I am very much NOT f2p, and even so, the jump in difficulty from nightmares/motes to 3 star magicite is ridiculously large. If you have trouble with the mote dungeons, where you get a free 2 bars for everyone off the bat, the 3 star magicite will push your poo poo in.

My biggest problem with the game right now, actually, is that the huge jump there has nothing to help you span it, where previously the jump start battles used to kind of fit, and give you 5 star mote to dive people to cross the gap. Now the closest thing available is the 240 torments, which are completely different thematically, since new players often won't have anywhere near a full realm team.

I feel like they should bring the torment reward mechanic into the other endgame dungeons. It makes a good benchmark and it still feels like you're making progress even if you fail.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Leveling magicite is such a drag. Deck building my 5*s feels like the slowest process, I can't even fathom how some people out there already have full decks with passives inherited.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Cowcaster posted:

again i'm the laziest person in this thread when it comes to this lovely little phone game but having it around since 2015 and you're still fielding guys at level 80 and stuff? are you just sitting on a dragon's horde of experience eggs or what?

I don't care about 75% of these characters. :shrug: Plus it's not like they give away the 80 cap breaks away willy nilly like they do 50 and 65 breaks. Also you can't do Torment Dungeons now until after you've cleared the nightmare dungeons (or at least finish a fuckton of them) so maybe I'm a little jaded that they locked me out of something that I had free reign to attempt over a year ago. :argh:

Also I realized that I don't even know what the hell magicite is in this game even. I just know that I need it to beat anything over difficulty 160 apparently.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I just know that I need it to beat anything over difficulty 160 apparently.

Clearly you don't because the lowest difficulty of Magicite fights is 250.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

you absolutely do not need magicite to beat stuff over 160. i've never touched any of the magicite stuff and i've cleared all the realm dungeons and can run the weekly events to completion (i usually don't because the last couple ones are a pain). the torment dungeons that are locked behind the nightmare dungeons are not the same as the torment dungeons you could freely access years ago, they got rebooted into something new that's among the hardest content in the game, if you can't beat the nightmare dungeons you're not going to have a prayer of doing them.

what you actually need to be doing is making sure you're doing as many of the weekly event dungeons as you feasibly can so you can get mythril and eggs and memory crystals so you can get your characters to 99, get their record spheres done, and get them more soul breaks.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I don't care about 75% of these characters. :shrug:
If you're trying to do hard content free-to-play with your waifu/husbando, that's not really going to work unless you get lucky and/or pay a lot of attention to what soul breaks the various banners offer. You have to play with what you get good relics for.

quote:

Also you can't do Torment Dungeons now until after you've cleared the nightmare dungeons (or at least finish a fuckton of them) so maybe I'm a little jaded that they locked me out of something that I had free reign to attempt over a year ago. :argh:

If it's any consolation, the torments have now been changed to make them too hard for you to do.

quote:

Also I realized that I don't even know what the hell magicite is in this game even. I just know that I need it to beat anything over difficulty 160 apparently.

The easiest magicite battles are difficulty 250. There's nothing you get for unlocking magicites unless you can beat a fight that hard.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

although come to think of it if you were knocking out the old torment dungeons i can't understand how you're having so much trouble completing the nightmare dungeons, they were pegged at about the same difficulty from what i remember

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
^I wasn't. I just don't know jack poo poo about this game apparently despite playing it for so long.

Eh, sounds like this game is something I'm just going to hate the more I try to actually play it. :smith:

EDIT:

Qwertycoatl posted:

You have to play with what you get good relics for.

(Un)lucky for me that this game decides to give me Cloud poo poo non stop :downsbravo:

GenderSelectScreen fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jan 3, 2019

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Magicites are bosses even harder than the nightmares that require single elemental parties to beat, and then torments require you to use parties of a specific realm (FFI, FFV etc). Honestly I think you shouldn't bother, if you are this frustrated now you'll hate the endgame.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Cowcaster posted:

although come to think of it if you were knocking out the old torment dungeons i can't understand how you're having so much trouble completing the nightmare dungeons, they were pegged at about the same difficulty from what i remember

The old torments were harder than the nightmare dungeons*; HGS it just sounds like you are not getting the game or something, and if it is painful to play... why play?

*old torments you could basically take your best 5-10 characters and plow through most of them but they were not easy and I had beat nightmares before I slammed through all of them but the hardest difficulties of 2 of them before they closed. But yeah I was using like TGC USB, yuffie USB2, edge USB, vivi USB, OK pUSB, edward USB, terra USB and then 2-3 healers that i had fully dived. I also fully dived most of the good DPS I had as soon as I could so I could have an easier time with the rest of the jumpstarts/torments.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

you can take the "only use characters i like even if they're awful" reasonably far if you crank up their levels, get good soul breaks for them, and dive them out, but there's characters that are straight up awful and characters that are straight up more powerful and useful than others and if you're going to want to start breaking into the endgame you need to start using the latter whether you like them or not

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

^I wasn't. I just don't know jack poo poo about this game apparently despite playing it for so long.

Eh, sounds like this game is something I'm just going to hate the more I try to actually play it. :smith:

There's nothing wrong with just playing this game as a casual waifu builder, I guarantee that's what the vast majority of players do. But if you want to beat the hardest content AND stay f2p, you gotta put it some effort. That includes learning some of the mechanics, reading guides, branching out to use characters you don't care about, and just generally putting way too much brain power into a dumb f2p mobile gacha game. Literally nobody here will judge you for not wanting to do that of course.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

like ff6's gogo is one of my favorite final fantasy characters and i was psyched when he was added but he's just straight up bad and i don't think i've ever used him. meanwhile i haven't played a numbered final fantasy game after 7 (and/or tactics) and tidus has practically never left my brute force team since i dived him and got his ultra soul break. you gotta compromise.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

EDIT:

(Un)lucky for me that this game decides to give me Cloud poo poo non stop :downsbravo:

Yeah, apologies for the bluntness, but it sounds like this game just isn't for you. You're obviously not having fun now, and it's clear from the nature of your complaints that none of the content beyond where you are now is going to be enjoyable for you either. And that's fine; it's not reasonable to expect the game to appeal to everyone.

If you really want to stick with it and avoid the frustration you're experiencing, my suggestion would be to just play through the realm and record dungeons as they come out, clear out the lower levels of events, and pretend the rest of the game doesn't exist.

E: Actually, quick question that I don't think anyone has asked: what do you have your battle speed set to? Battle speed 1 is basically mandatory for doing any hard fight properly, there's way too much input lag otherwise.

Cattail Prophet fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jan 3, 2019

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
EDIT: Ignore me, just going to delete this garbage and move on with my life.

GenderSelectScreen fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jan 3, 2019

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Not gently caress you, but christ if you don't enjoy the game WHY PLAY?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

MF_James posted:

Not gently caress you, but christ if you don't enjoy the game WHY PLAY?

It takes me too long to post when I got so many people either trying to help me or berate me for not getting the game. I'm not going to bother anymore.

EDIT: Slow as poo poo again. :suicide:

GenderSelectScreen fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jan 3, 2019

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

you know, thinking about it, if you are just slapping your hot faves into your party and slamming that optimize button, it makes perfect sense that ~160 is about where you're running into problems. that's about the window i'd say where you gotta start picking and choosing what you're doing. if you can learn to live with that being where you have to stop you can still have a good time with the game playing it extremely casually (like i said, i myself usually stop before the last few missions in a weekly event because i find them too much of a hassle, and i only more or less play the thing on the 15 minute bus ride to/from work), but you will need to accept that all the stuff like magicite/torment is not going to be something you're ever going to be able to do (and i have)

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jan 3, 2019

MF_James
May 8, 2008

It is annoying setting up parties, but generally if you make favorite parties it gets easier, you do it once for a specific element (one physical and one magic if you can) and then pull that up when you need it.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
(Because it once again took me too loving long to type out my thoughts here's a new post instead of the edit of the last one.)

I played the game because it was fun collecting characters. It was fun seeing 2D renditions of normally 3D elements. It was fun, and then I collected everyone and the events were the same fights over and over. (Oh boy, sure love repeating the same opening boss fights from FFII just to get Hilda this time!)

I was spending my days repeating the XP boost dungeon over and over; fighting the same five monsters from FFV just to either master a relic or max out a character. It wasn't a game anymore: it was a chore. I just wanted to unlock new and more powerful stuff and (hopefully) be able to resume having fun.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Cowcaster posted:

like ff6's gogo is one of my favorite final fantasy characters and i was psyched when he was added but he's just straight up bad and i don't think i've ever used him. meanwhile i haven't played a numbered final fantasy game after 7 (and/or tactics) and tidus has practically never left my brute force team since i dived him and got his ultra soul break. you gotta compromise.

man I just got gogo's BSB in the latest realms on parade and until then I'd literally forgotten they added him

then I remembered there's also ff5 gogo as like, a water mage or something, and wow there's a lot of content in this goofy gacha game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
The Gogos could have been so much fun if they were something more like Tyro.