Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

cheetah7071 posted:

This is mostly right, but to anyone inspired by this post to watch it, skip season one. I guess it hasn't technically aged poorly because it just always sucked. Seasons 3-6 rule though and 2 and 7 mostly rule.

Do you lose any plot points by skipping the season?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Fulchrum posted:

This is from the era before that question even made sense. Episodes were designed to be watchable in any order on endless syndication reruns.

BardoTheConsumer
Apr 6, 2017

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Fulchrum posted:

You should probably watch Encounter at Far Point despite its terrible badness because Q is in it and Q is important to the continuing plot. The rest of season one is totally optional.

Edit: the sentence "Q is important to the continuing plot" has acquired a whole different meaning in the modern political climate.

BardoTheConsumer fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Jan 3, 2019

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

BardoTheConsumer posted:

You should probably watch Encounter at Far Point despite its terrible badness because Q is in it and Q is important to the continuing plot. The rest of season one is totally optional.

There's also the episode that establishes Lore (Datalore), that's kind of important, and Brent Spiner getting to ham it up is always a delight.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Deep Space Nine also holds up incredibly well.

EDIT: So do seasons 2-4 of Babylon 5.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Which one was the one everyone hated? Was that DS9?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Mr Interweb posted:

Enterprise

Goons don't really like Voyager either but it has plenty of fans. DS9 is extremely good

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Mr Interweb posted:

Different Trek nerds hate different Trek's for different reasons. DS9 was kind of hated at the time for portraying a war (deemed by some to be anti-thetical to Gene's vision, especially since the Federation ostensibly starts it), a Federation with a lot more warts than Next Gen ever showed, and a generally more flawed and morally grey crew. Those people are dumb, it's the perfect companion piece to TNG, to me neither feels complete without the other.

Probably the most universally hated was Enterprise seasons 1-2, at least until Into Darkness came along. Some Trek nerds now think Discovery is the worst, but w/e, it owns.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
A capital-less utopia has not arrived on Earth yet so choose a different thread/forum to discuss Star Trek.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

cheetah7071 posted:

Enterprise

Goons don't really like Voyager either but it has plenty of fans. DS9 is extremely good

What about Discovery and the Animated series?

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

Crow Jane posted:

I only make friends with walls (sometimes fences), guess I'm poo poo out of luck. And so lonely.

You should expand to steel slats. It may seem like they're hard and cold from a distance. But it's really not much of a barrier at all!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Party Plane Jones posted:

A capital-less utopia has not arrived on Earth yet so choose a different thread/forum to discuss Star Trek.

BREAKING NEWS: D&D Mods hate fun.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

nine-gear crow posted:

You should of realized that yesterday when everyone from MTG chat got banned.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

GoutPatrol posted:

You should of realized that yesterday when everyone from MTG chat got banned.

Well that one I fully support.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Star Trek isn't fun. Not like politics.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Have you people heard there's a shutdown going on?

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Fulchrum posted:

Have you people heard there's a shutdown going on?

Just yell "White House turn on" at it 10 or 11 billion more times. Probably about as functional as the bone.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Party Plane Jones posted:

I saw TNG as an impressionable teenager and thought it was how things were like in America at the time.

Reality is a cruel joke.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Meatball posted:

Also I started listening to the dollop. I heard the one on Levittown. Was really good. Any recommendations? They have a *lot* of podcasts there so it might be tough picking out good ones. I've definitely got the two part trump series to listen to.

Without hesitation, Episode #31: Jack Parson.

I've been listening to The Dollop for years now, and this is always the first one I recommend

I know that at the surface, the creation of JPL (Jet Propulsion Laboratories) doesn't sound interesting, and I'm just a guy on an internet forum, but trust me. Just trust me on this one.

There's a cameo in the story about halfway through that will make your jaw drop, and the last three minutes will make you walk around with a blank gaze just mumbling "what the gently caress" to yourself. The rest of it is pants-on-head crazy, too.

http://thedollop.libsyn.com/jack-parson

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

theflyingorc posted:

that's most places

Eastern Washington/Idaho/parts of Eastern Oregon and all the way out to Montana somewhat have more white nationalist militia poo poo than anywhere else in the country. Washington is different from the others mentioned because even Eastern Washington is pretty populous. Eastern Oregon extremism is moderated a bit by all the hippies who moved out there in the 60s and 70s who, with their kids, make up a significant portion of the local populations.

Before they defunded it the Eastern Washington/Idaho area had a wildly disproportionate FBI presence because it was so bad

Medium Chungus
Feb 19, 2012
Rashida Tlaib on Channel 7 here in Detroit. Pretty cool about Jefferson's own Koran.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

nine-gear crow posted:

But there's like 15 threads to talk TNG on SA. It would be different if there was some tenuous intersection between politics and TNG. I guess Trump is a Pakled but otherwise nah.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

thegalagakid posted:

Rashida Tlaib on Channel 7 here in Detroit. Pretty cool about Jefferson's own Koran.

Can someone tell me why all those comments about her marrying her brother are in there? I couldn't find anything on Google that wasn't from right-wing shithole sites.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Can someone tell me why all those comments about her marrying her brother are in there? I couldn't find anything on Google that wasn't from right-wing shithole sites.

Rashida isn't even married????

Medium Chungus
Feb 19, 2012

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

I think you mean Ilhan Omar and you already know why the low end of the grift machine is attempting baseless slurs.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

She has an ex husband she won't publicly talk much about so racists decided it's because she has a secret and obviously (for some reason) it must be that.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

You’re doing exactly what they want you to be doing.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

thegalagakid posted:

I think you mean Ilhan Omar and you already know why the low end of the grift machine is attempting baseless slurs.

Whoops. Yeah, sorry, I lost track of my right-wing smears :v:

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Jealous Cow posted:

You're doing exactly what they want you to be doing.

...trying to figure out why their claim is bullshit rather than instantly believing it?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Star Trek general threads in GBS and TVIV are pretty good. (and have a lot of poster overlap)

cheetah7071 posted:

I wonder if on conservative websites people complain that their R+20 states are just a conservative veneer on a liberal government. I feel like I've heard people say some variant of that post about basically every blue state.

They absolutely do, entirely because it's the media class's interest for them to believe it so, to keep them angry and scared.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

VH4Ever posted:

That.....is....stunning.

I mean pure perfection is amazing in all its forms, it truly is. Something this, PERFECTLY racist and white/American-centric and privileged all at once is, well, it's truly a remarkable thing to see.

I didn't see it. What was it?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kavros posted:

I didn't see it. What was it?

Here’s my only nativist beef: Hispanic people who look and sound Mongolian and who I therefore don’t realize I could just communicate with in Spanish instead of English which they don’t speak particularly intelligibly. I’m cool with Spanish, just not being super-confused.

— Liz Mair (@LizMair) January 2, 2019

Liz Mair as in big-name Republican strategist who frequently appears on television Liz Mair. She openly said “I am very mad that I can’t seem to distinguish Latino people from Asian people and it’s totally their fault, not mine.” And she was poo poo on from great heights directly into oblivion for being the Most Racist Person of 2019 (Thus Far).

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

...trying to figure out why their claim is bullshit rather than instantly believing it?
Giving their claim any epistemic weight at all rather than instantly dismissing it when you see the sources are all alt-right nuts. These people don’t argue in good faith, they throw out a hundred lies and hope one or two get through since it takes time and effort to debunk each one. The trick is, every time you look into one and it turns out to be obvious racist bullshit, make sure you reinforce your belief that it’s all bullshit, and that anything real would have mainstream sources as well. Eventually you’ll stop feeling the need to check.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

pumpinglemma posted:

Giving their claim any epistemic weight at all rather than instantly dismissing it when you see the sources are all alt-right nuts. These people don’t argue in good faith, they throw out a hundred lies and hope one or two get through since it takes time and effort to debunk each one. The trick is, every time you look into one and it turns out to be obvious racist bullshit, make sure you reinforce your belief that it’s all bullshit, and that anything real would have mainstream sources as well. Eventually you’ll stop feeling the need to check.

OK, thank you. I learned something today.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

pumpinglemma posted:

Not to mention simply spreading the claim further by asking about it/searching for it.

Knowing google it’ll probably be an autocomplete option on search for her soon.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Firefly holds up better than any star trek, fight me.

Also, gently caress this derail, idiots.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

an AOL chatroom posted:

Without hesitation, Episode #31: Jack Parson.

I've been listening to The Dollop for years now, and this is always the first one I recommend

I know that at the surface, the creation of JPL (Jet Propulsion Laboratories) doesn't sound interesting, and I'm just a guy on an internet forum, but trust me. Just trust me on this one.

There's a cameo in the story about halfway through that will make your jaw drop, and the last three minutes will make you walk around with a blank gaze just mumbling "what the gently caress" to yourself. The rest of it is pants-on-head crazy, too.

http://thedollop.libsyn.com/jack-parson

This is a good one, but 10 Cent Beer Night is always my first episode go to recommendation

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Because they can't tell the difference between Ilhan and Rashida and it's a baseless, Birther-grade smear.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

And she was poo poo on from great heights directly into oblivion for being the Most Racist Person of 2019 (Thus Far).

https://twitter.com/desusnice/status/1080620206861545472?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Chilichimp posted:

Firefly holds up better than any star trek, fight me.

Also, gently caress this derail, idiots.

You mean the weirdly racist show by a sex pest heavily influenced by Chinese culture without any Asian people in it