Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Cy is used to being a bit smarter than all the other idiots. He also had the help of smart people like Joanie and Eddie. I assume they let him be the leader because he's dangerous and has what it takes to be the face of the operation. Once those two abandon him, all he has is being a loudmouth idiot. It really shows that he's almost done because his only confidant is Leon, a dopehead. He also vents to that one whore who he calls stupid or whatever. He has nothing left and he's trying to pull one over on Hearst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.
I finished my rewatch last night, and I'm still unclear as to what the hell the point of the entire theater troupe storyline was, besides to allow Brian Cox to chew the hell out of the scenery. (I concede this is an acceptable reason, but still!)

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit

Flight Bisque posted:

I finished my rewatch last night, and I'm still unclear as to what the hell the point of the entire theater troupe storyline was, besides to allow Brian Cox to chew the hell out of the scenery. (I concede this is an acceptable reason, but still!)

Stubb's hooker house had the same feel. We see a group of people enter camp, we see their slice of life playout on screen, but their affect on the overall story seems minimal.

To me, Langrishe's purpose was to be the ultimate crux that convinces Hearst to leave the camp. Hearst had tried, with some guile, to control Garret's holdings and the camp to expand his mining empire. He is somewhat successful, but encounters Bullock and Swearingen who serve to foil his attempts at absolute power. At the eve of having the camp obliterated by soldiers, Langrishe appeals to Hearst's delusion that the earth speaks to him, getting him to admit that "its not his purpose to strike down his fellow man" and promptly leaves camp to pursue another fortune.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The theater troupe plotline did get Con laid, and it gave us the scene where he uses that one lady's boob as a steamship speaking tube.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Flight Bisque posted:

it was going to play into the show more but the show stopped.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Cojawfee posted:

Getting hunted by cajuns is an old PI trick.
This rings a bell. What's this from?

Cojawfee posted:

I don't want to be full PETA, but maybe if you are breeding an animal to the point that it is at great risk of fatal injury, don't do that.
PETA doesn't give a poo poo about animals. They care about attention and bilking gullible people with good hearts out of their money.

You don't see PETA at horse races, for instance, because the people who like horse racing wouldn't give a single gently caress about them and would move right the gently caress past without giving them a second thought.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

LividLiquid posted:

This rings a bell. What's this from?

The Rowboat cop from Dexter.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Cojawfee posted:

The Rowboat cop from Dexter.
I never watched Dexter. Was it regularly joked about on anything else?

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

is Dan not confirmed for the movie?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

LividLiquid posted:

It pops up in other threads from time to time. Maybe someone has said it coincidentally, but the "*blank* is an old PI trick" joke is from the Dexter thread.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

is Dan not confirmed for the movie?

He has to be. The Gem Boys are basically the only ones I'm interested in seeing again.

edit:
That's a lie. I wanna see what ever stories they're gonna do...I just really liked Dan, Johnny, Al, and even good ol' Sleepy Davey.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

LividLiquid posted:

Yeah, totally - I remember I was one of the folks who perpetuated that meme, sadly, it was... poo poo, ten years ago here on TV IV that was actually a fairly amusing meme. As I recall it was from Dexter, and it was basically a silly meme from Season 5 or 6 when the show went from "quite good!" (season 4 with Keith Carradine and John Lithgow) to utter crap (season 5 I think with Julia Stiles) extremely quickly. One of the things was Angel or Dexter using "an old PI trick" which was really a farfetched scenario/deus ex machina-type writing and doing a really lovely job of trying to hang a lampshade on it, so "old PI trick" became shorthand for any example of incredibly lazy writing

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

kaworu posted:

Yeah, totally - I remember I was one of the folks who perpetuated that meme, sadly, it was... poo poo, ten years ago here on TV IV that was actually a fairly amusing meme. As I recall it was from Dexter, and it was basically a silly meme from Season 5 or 6 when the show went from "quite good!" (season 4 with Keith Carradine and John Lithgow) to utter crap (season 5 I think with Julia Stiles) extremely quickly. One of the things was Angel or Dexter using "an old PI trick" which was really a farfetched scenario/deus ex machina-type writing and doing a really lovely job of trying to hang a lampshade on it, so "old PI trick" became shorthand for any example of incredibly lazy writing

As someone who followed every post-S4 Dexter thread religiously (they were the ONLY good things about the show, and they were beautiful), the 'old PI trick' was how Peter Weller's detective character, who was working on the side for Quinn, got in a fender-bender with, I think, Julia Styles' character, Lumen. He did this to get her information via trading insurance poo poo and whatnot.

He explained it to Quinn as it being an 'old PI trick', and the thread, rightfully, lost their collective mind on it. After that, everything was an old PI trick, except whatever it was, was dumb. "Getting probated for nazi sympathizing is an old PI trick", for example.

It was also the last time I updated my custom title. I was watching whatever season of dexter this was (pretty sure it was 5, I know that was the Lumen one, just can't remember if that was also Peter Weller's season) the same time I was watching Community. Britta accidentally called Robocop 'Rowboat Cop'. Since Peter Weller is most famously known for being Robocop, I just ran with it and donated to the forums for this lame title, and I'd change it, but I can't think of anything that I'd actually want, so now I'm stuck with something that I barely wanted in the first place.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Solice Kirsk posted:

He has to be. The Gem Boys are basically the only ones I'm interested in seeing again.

edit:
That's a lie. I wanna see what ever stories they're gonna do...I just really liked Dan, Johnny, Al, and even good ol' Sleepy Davey.

W. Earl Brown, who plays Dan, is definitely in and has talked about filming quite a lot on Twitter, including that Sean Bridger (Johnny) was filming too. Apparently Titus Welliver (Silas) was tied up filming Bosch and I doubt Brian Cox is coming back if he wasn't mentioned by now, but generally if the actor and character are both alive I think it's safer to assume that they'll be there than not. Perhaps even one person who the show has killed a couple of times already

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Back on my rewatch bullshit now I’ve finished watching all 2018 stuff. The s2 premiere is so goddamn funny and brutal and satisfying.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST posted:

Perhaps even one person who the show has killed a couple of times already

Yeah, i've been wondering about that too.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’ve definitely seen a reference to one actor who plays a dead character being around for filming

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

W. Earl Brown, who plays Dan, is definitely in and has talked about filming quite a lot on Twitter, including that Sean Bridger (Johnny) was filming too. Apparently Titus Welliver (Silas) was tied up filming Bosch and I doubt Brian Cox is coming back if he wasn't mentioned by now, but generally if the actor and character are both alive I think it's safer to assume that they'll be there than not. Perhaps even one person who the show has killed a couple of times already

He's not talking about it now though, apparently he was posting stuff he wasn't supposed to and HBO brought the fist of God down on him.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Escobarbarian posted:

I’ve definitely seen a reference to one actor who plays a dead character being around for filming

Could be a flashback, though I don't think Deadwood ever did a flashback.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Is Drunk Steve dead? I sit here perplexed by the fact that I can't fuckin' remember.

Ah, I remember now....not dead, prob not sayin' much though.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jan 3, 2019

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011
Didn't watch a lot of deadwood cuz I'm too dumb to understand the dialogue but swerengean EB and Dan were definitely the most mother fuckers on the show (in a good way)

It would be cool if theres more opium dens like in the knick but I don't know if that's historically accurate ii just like opium dens

denzelcurrypower fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jan 4, 2019

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

That's awesome. I watched all of Raising Hope just for him. Was a pretty good show though.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Ornithology posted:

Didn't watch a lot of deadwood cuz I'm too dumb to understand the dialogue but swerengean EB and Dan were definitely the most mother fuckers on the show (in a good way)

It would be cool if theres more opium dens like in the knick but I don't know if that's historically accurate ii just like opium dens

Leon account spotted

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

withak posted:

The theater troupe plotline did get Con laid, and it gave us the scene where he uses that one lady's boob as a steamship speaking tube.

There is a great podcast called I Was There Too and there is a whole episode with Paula Malcomson talking about Deadwood which is great, but it features another guest, Sarah Lund, who plays the woman in that scene and goes in to detail about how it came about. I think it might be behind a paywall these days though.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
Don't mean to double post but W Earl Brown just linked this on Twitter

https://youtu.be/Ow1syxQ_jls

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

screaden posted:

:drat:
:perfect:

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

screaden posted:

Guess I'm doin an honest-to-Christ's crucified and reborn limber dick rewatch now.

E: I'm pretty sure it was a pile of goon recommendations that got me to even watch S1 back in '04 or whenever.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
Farnum! Christ knows, he's earned it!

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I trust you know 20 percent of nothing's fuckin nothing

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Farnum, twice measured. Star, once cut.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Got back on my rewatch and Tom Nuttall on the bike is such a beautiful moment

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

We're spread, we're spread, we're spreading our.... wings! :v:

Follow him on facebook too. He posts some great stuff about filming the movie.

Cannot wait for this thing to come out.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Escobarbarian posted:

Yeah...until... :smith:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

Swearengen saying "come on Tom" quietly to himself and then hooting for him when he made it because he just couldn't help himself always made me smile. Al and Tom being buddies was a great part of the show.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Martha Bullock is such a sympathetic character man. I feel so bad for her :(

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I got onto season 3 which I’ve never seen before and that Dority/Captain fight, jeeeesus

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Still probably one of the most brutal, uncomfortable things I've ever seen on television. It's incredibly well put together.

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

We're spread, we're spread, we're spreading our.... wings! :v:

Jerusalem posted:

Still probably one of the most brutal, uncomfortable things I've ever seen on television. It's incredibly well put together.

From what I remember wasn't it also silent? No music, all you heard were the grunts of two men fighting in the mud.

God drat what a scene.

Edit: Just watched it again on Youtube. No dialogue or music, just sounds of the thoroughfare and the fight.

HanabaL03 fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Feb 7, 2019

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

HanabaL03 posted:

From what I remember wasn't it also silent? No music, all you heard were the grunts of two men fighting in the mud.

God drat what a scene.

Yeah, it’s one of the things that makes that scene so visceral. It’s been copied endlessly, since, and I think The Wire popularized the gimmick, but given how we consume media - it is always effective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Are you talking about when they shot Wallace?