Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is your resolution for the new year?
This poll is closed.
To play more games 54 12.68%
To play more games 52 12.21%
To play less games...sorry, I meant more games 70 16.43%
To play games more 79 18.54%
Something else (in addition to playing more games) 66 15.49%
To make more/less Bowsette references 105 24.65%
Total: 219 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Black August posted:

A better FF10 would have had every character have one of two or three possible classes they could become depending on what road you take, like starting in favor of one obvious path, a bit more work to reach a more balanced path, and then opposite haul for a class the dead opposite of what you're predisposed towards

So it could be Yuna the White Mage, Yuna the Paladin, or Yuna the Stick rear end-Beater kind of deal

Makes me wish on a related note for Secret of Mana to have 2's cool multiclass system

Yeah FFX-2 rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I wish FFX didnt have so much goshdarn missable stuff and also didnt have the 100% ending.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Black August posted:

A better FF10 would have had every character have one of two or three possible classes they could become depending on what road you take, like starting in favor of one obvious path, a bit more work to reach a more balanced path, and then opposite haul for a class the dead opposite of what you're predisposed towards

So it could be Yuna the White Mage, Yuna the Paladin, or Yuna the Stick rear end-Beater kind of deal

Makes me wish on a related note for Secret of Mana to have 2's cool multiclass system

Even with the vanilla sphere grid I make Yuna and Kimahri follow Rikku's path every time. It's kind of linear but there's still freedom.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

Even with the vanilla sphere grid I make Yuna and Kimahri follow Rikku's path every time. It's kind of linear but there's still freedom.

Are you sending Yuna down there for the actual good healing rikku gets or some other reason? I always shove Yuna down Lulu's path to make Lulu 100% irrelevant.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Barudak posted:

Are you sending Yuna down there for the actual good healing rikku gets or some other reason? I always shove Yuna down Lulu's path to make Lulu 100% irrelevant.

The very beginning of Rikku's path is insanely good because Steal and Use are the best abilities in the game and her early section is chock full of large stat boosts to catch her up with everyone else.

Yuna ends up a kind of hybrid Yuna/Rikku with some of Lulu's spells by the end in vanilla but I used black magic spheres to snipe the -ga spells instead of actually going onto Lulu's path because it was out of the way.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

The very beginning of Rikku's path is insanely good because Steal and Use are the best abilities in the game and her early section is chock full of large stat boosts to catch her up with everyone else.

Yuna ends up a kind of hybrid Yuna/Rikku with some of Lulu's spells by the end in vanilla but I used black magic spheres to snipe the -ga spells instead of actually going onto Lulu's path because it was out of the way.

Ive always had kimahri, khimari, kimhari, blue cat person go down rikkus path because al bhed potions rule as yoi notr and then only shift yuna over once you get that sphere 1/2 way into the game that lets you teleport to where another character is on their grid to pick up all the yummy black magic.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

My party was always Tidus, Yuna, and Auron or Lulu, the other three sat at the starting line which hosed me over with blue catte

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
FFX successfully incentivized me into using everyone every combat

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I am bad, outside of very very few RPGs, I always have a Favored Party and barely ever deviate from that

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
happy new year everyone here's an opening for a cyberpunk sega saturn jrpg that is way cooler than cyberpunk 2077

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pwvVpmSPk0&t=69s

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Black August posted:

I am bad, outside of very very few RPGs, I always have a Favored Party and barely ever deviate from that

Honestly I fell for this trap too in several Atelier games before I finally (hopefully) kicked the habit. In the older ones you need to have people in your party to see their events and I just stuck with my faves to the exclusion of everyone else

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Black August posted:

Rpgs shouldnt have more party members than you have characters who participate in combat in my opinion

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Barudak posted:

Rpgs shouldnt have more party members than you have characters who participate in combat in my opinion

hard disagree

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Barudak posted:

I can see the point if the game has a class system like 4, 9, 10 (sort of), and IZJS so different character combinations play differently

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Barudak posted:

I kind of like systems like Final Fantasy Mystic Quest or 4, you get partners for sections of the game, or Breath of Fire 4 with everyone effectively in the fight, with a personal love of RPGs where you have one or two more characters than the party size limit, so you can kind of create your own story depending on those choices, with a real unique take on that with Secret of Mana 2

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Having more party members than you need means you get to ditch your least favorite. This kinda sucks when you like everyone but if the cast has a lot of variety chances are you don't and can find a few to ditch no problem.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

FFX successfully incentivized me into using everyone every combat

They made it tedious to do so but I couldn’t help myself from using everyone too, for that sweet xp. There’s a mod for the pc version that gives everyone xp even if you don’t use them and that’s the way to play imo

Tedious sounds like Tidus!!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Not enough RPGs have explored the possibility of having your benched party members also contribute through passive buffs or sick-nasty combo attacks. If you could occasionally play Kimahri's theme music and he came out with the steel chair then I would have thought more highly of the character.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

exquisite tea posted:

Not enough RPGs have explored the possibility of having your benched party members also contribute through passive buffs or sick-nasty combo attacks. If you could occasionally play Kimahri's theme music and he came out with the steel chair then I would have thought more highly of the character.

that's Atelier I swear I'm not just saying that

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Game Grumps, Yogscast, and Hat Films are my feel good Youtube trifecta. Vinny is a good streamer as well. I would happily give these people money for all of the free entertainment they've provided me over the past 7 or 8 years.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I dunno why devs stick with benched members not receiving XP when they reach the point of having to design certain parts of the game around how critically inconvenient it inevitably is (like with that kimari solo fight)

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Motto posted:

I dunno why devs stick with benched members not receiving XP when they reach the point of having to design certain parts of the game around how critically inconvenient it inevitably is (like with that kimari solo fight)

I'm not sure they are sticking with it. I haven't seen it in a long time.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

cheetah7071 posted:

Having more party members than you need means you get to ditch your least favorite. This kinda sucks when you like everyone but if the cast has a lot of variety chances are you don't and can find a few to ditch no problem.
unfortunately persona q has all the characters show up in cutscenes so there is no way to push Teddie out of existence

i got to the post-cabinet part of the messenger. the game plays pretty well, music is competent but just alright. i love both visual aesthetics. now i'll have to see how well the game's formula will hold up now that i am in the real meat of the game.

also the sword sound is lovely in the future areas. but i approve of the music chip used

e: also in terms of benched members, persona q doesn't give xp to members on the bench EXCEPT for fulfilling requests, but like most etrian games, the experience curve is such a way that low-level members level up very quickly when they're in your party as long as they can survive battle

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm not sure they are sticking with it. I haven't seen it in a long time.

My brother complained about Octopath Traveler not leveling inactive party members but I never played it myself to know. Wouldn't be surprised if he's just being an idiot.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

My brother complained about Octopath Traveler not leveling inactive party members but I never played it myself to know. Wouldn't be surprised if he's just being an idiot.

It becomes A Big Deal later when You're forced into a multi-party fight with the true final boss after a long dungeon with no saves.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I'm getting close to the end of Halo 3 and it's fun but all of the suitably epic moments are falling flat with me because I missed out on the first two games worth of setup :smith:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Grapplejack posted:

It becomes A Big Deal later when You're forced into a multi-party fight with the true final boss after a long dungeon with no saves.

Yeah that's why he was specifically complaining about it. He couldn't do that part because he apparently ignored 1/2 the cast outside their stories.

Rarity posted:

I'm getting close to the end of Halo 3 and it's fun but all of the suitably epic moments are falling flat with me because I missed out on the first two games worth of setup :smith:

Don't worry, they fall flat anyways because Halo 3 is pretty lovely and anticlimactic.

Combat Evolved was the only Halo game where I really had fun with the campaign honestly.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah that's why he was specifically complaining about it. He couldn't do that part because he apparently ignored 1/2 the cast outside their stories.

Don't worry, they fall flat anyways because Halo 3 is pretty lovely and anticlimactic.

Combat Evolved was the only Halo game where I really had fun with the campaign honestly.

Excuse me? Reach exists and still has the best campaign and music of the whole franchise.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Verranicus posted:

Excuse me? Reach exists and still has the best campaign and music of the whole franchise.

i dunno those final few massive brute horde checkpoints are preeeeeeettty rubbish

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Internet Kraken posted:

Poochy is cute but dumb as bricks and should never be trusted to do anything properly.

Poochy Ain't Stupid

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

I want to try to find a new series to fall in love with in 2019 because 2018 being the year of Atelier was a blast. I'm not quite done with Atelier yet and have a few games I want to play lined up already but I figured I'd do an effortpost on my tastes and see if anybody has any ideas for me.

Here's a quick listing of some of my favorite series and games:
Atelier (series)
Fire Emblem (series)
Valkyrie Profile (series)
King of Dragon Pass/Six Ages
Legend of Zelda (series)
Dark Souls (game, wouldn't put the rest of the series into a list of my favorites)
Ace Attorney (series)/Ghost Trick
Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy XIV

One of the recurring themes is generally being slow-paced games--often turn based but even the real time games tend to be more deliberate. Like both ffxiv and Dark Souls are more about positioning and worrying about where you need to be five seconds from now than twitchy reactions. A lot of them tend to be user-driven too. In most Atelier games you're given vague goals and told to approach them however you see fit, in whatever order you choose. In Fire Emblem you do the maps in order but most of them have plenty of freedom to decide how to tackle them. Dark Souls hides its linearity by making everything just obscure enough that it feels like you're finding it yourself instead of being told where to go. I'd generally rather exercise my brain than my thumbs, is the point.

They also tend (tend) to be bright, colorful games without much in the way of browns and grays. These days I'm on a kick of happy, cheerful games though you wouldn't necessarily figure that out from that list.

So yeah, my perfect game is colorful, cheerful, slow/turn-based, and allows a lot of player freedom. Any large-ish series that I haven't already posted about obsessively that might fit that reasonably well?

Have you tried the Trails series? They're rather slow-burn character-driven JRPGs that offer a fair amount of freedom in how you customize the characters, but the plot progression is rigid.

There are quite a few Trails evangelists on this forum so there's definitely someone here who can recommend those games in a more appealing way than me, but I was hooked on them and I never really did JRPGs beforehand.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Here's a question for y'all - what's the closest you've been to 100%/platinum in a game before giving up?

For me, it was Dark Souls 2. All I had left was two or three achievements, both for having all spells of a specific type, and I was only missing one spell each. All of then required either a ton of PvP or playing deep into new game++, and with Bloodborne about to release I ended up bailing. I liked PvP in DS2 so I wouldn't have minded, but I believe one of the spells required you to get X number of points in a dueling arena, which you could lose if you lost, and I'm way not into big grinds that you can lose progress on.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Relax Or DIE posted:

Here's a question for y'all - what's the closest you've been to 100%/platinum in a game before giving up?

For me, it was Dark Souls 2. All I had left was two or three achievements, both for having all spells of a specific type, and I was only missing one spell each. All of then required either a ton of PvP or playing deep into new game++, and with Bloodborne about to release I ended up bailing. I liked PvP in DS2 so I wouldn't have minded, but I believe one of the spells required you to get X number of points in a dueling arena, which you could lose if you lost, and I'm way not into big grinds that you can lose progress on.

Probably God of War because I can't give a poo poo about finding all those little crows.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i've got all the 'cheevos in bastion except for the one where you run through the score attack mode

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Relax Or DIE posted:

I am very bad at platinuming games. I have only got 3 plats overall, according to the PS trophy page, and for one of them I was one trophy away from for a whole year so I would say that probably was it.

It was get 6 classes to level 70 in Diablo and I had just done four separate characters and was feeling a little burnt out. I did eventually get it though!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

i've got all the 'cheevos in bastion except for the one where you run through the score attack mode

same

also never broke all the training dummies in Horizon

usually i'm content just filling out 50% of a trophy list at the minimum, assuming none of them involve multiplayer

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Last spring it was Dark souls remastered. I have plats for all the other souls game releases (including both the vanilla ds2 release and sotfs, don't ask) so naturally I wanted to get plat for the remaster but at about 90% I moved on. I'll probably come back to it but I just did not feel like dealing with the knight's honor farming.

I think I got to about 90% in dragon's dogma as well and was planning on going for plat but the complete all quests cheeve discouraged me.

Right now I'm pretty close to getting plat in mh world but the last few are very random so I don't know if I'll ever get it.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Relax Or DIE posted:

Vanquish on the PS3. I was only missing the last Tactical Challenge, got to the last phase a couple times (Bogey 1 and 2), and on my last attempt (of several) I died with then having less than 5% health.

Just gave up after that. Thought I'd try again when I got it on pc, but I just replayed the game once and didn't touch it again.

/ninja edit: This is on something I was actually actively trying to platinum. There's a lot of games I'm really close to getting plat but that was just from normal gameplay/replaying the game a bunch. Last time I actively set out to 100% something was Bloodborne (which I did :colbert: (but that's because I had a blast)).

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jan 3, 2019

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Relax Or DIE posted:

Demon's Souls.

All I needed was a perfect sharpstone. 99%. Never got it. Never been back to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i think the only game in existence i actively sought out and did achievements for to get 100% was the original pc release of trine, because there were only like 10 or so and they were all pretty easy. i've been hashtag blessed with a complete apathy towards getting achievements in games