Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

One of the not-so-great parts of my new job is that I have to earn CompTIA A+/Net+/Sec+ and MCSA Windows 10 within a year of my start date. They pay for the exams and provide good training resources.

I'm not worried - vaguely annoyed, not worried - about the CompTIA exams since I previously had all 3 and I know how easy they are once you memorize the pretty useless trivia they make you study (how many pins does the AMD Socket AM3 have? :v: ). I wish I had just retaken Sec+ a few months back when I still had them to refresh them, but I didn't know this would come up.

The arbitrary memorization has gotten a lot better in the new versions of the Network+ and Security+ exams which came out this summer. They cleaned most of the obsolete stuff, and Security+ focuses a lot more on concepts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

DropsySufferer posted:

I’m working on my last class to graduate at WGU. This loving SQL data management course. The project has to be perfect not just passing which isn’t the way WGU is supposed to be.2nd submission now...

I pass this then I have one more easier test and finally my degree. 33 days left!

These very forums have an excellent SQL questions thread. I follow it just to learn new stuff.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Anyone got suggestions on good SCCM resources? I’m running through the Pluralsight course at the moment and it’s good but the guys voice is killing me. I’ll get through it but would like to supplement it with something else. Other videos or books or online courses or whatever is all welcome.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Tab8715 posted:

What don’t you like?

I’m just not thrilled with the curriculum on any of their options. I would take it if they had a straight up Computer Science masters.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Tab8715 posted:

Whom here has graduated from WGU?

Which program did you take, what’d you think and how did employment prospects turn out?

I graduated March of last year, information technology - security track. I found a new job halfway through the program thanks to all the certs I was collecting, and was pretty happy there. One year later I was contacted in linked in for two jobs that require a bachelors, 6 figures in network security.

There's no doubt the army of certs and the bachelors degree opens a lot of doors and garners interest from recruiters. I turned down a lot of potential offers that seemed to come in weekly, though the pay on a lot weren't great.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
ITIL v4 is coming out Q1 2019. Should I keep on the study guide I just picked up for version 3 or wait for the new books to come out?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Yeast Confection posted:

ITIL v4 is coming out Q1 2019. Should I keep on the study guide I just picked up for version 3 or wait for the new books to come out?

Apparently v4 is going to be different enough you need to retake it if you want to do more than just foundation. I scheduled my ITIL for next Monday anyway since it’s pretty mindless and quick to breeze through.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
WGU is pretty great, for the most part. The study materials range from middling to good, but a LOT of your experience will rely on your mentor. The first guy I had was great, easy to deal with, a real value add. He got promoted and my new one is a real ballbreaker pain in the rear end, I am going to request to switch to someone else.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Tab8715 posted:

Which program did you take, what’d you think and how did employment prospects turn out?

Graduated the Information Technology - Security track back in 2016. I was already employed with ample experience but my recent job change to security architecture at BigComp probably wouldn’t have panned out without the degree checkbox.

The relative worth of the certs is probably questionable but for the purposes of bypassing HR filtering at companies that care about that sort of thing, it’s very valid.

Current company pays for grad school so I’ll almost certainly be going to an online program at a known brick and mortar school for my masters. Strictly for signaling not for distaste of WGU.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Company provided classroom TOGAF training of 5 evenings given by someone with more than a decade of enterprise architecture experience.

Not entirely sure what to think of it. The instructor knew it inside out but was also very open about the shortcomings, limitations and how it’s being used.

For me it felt rather archaic, old world waterfall way of doing things. I understand there are times and places for it but with my devops mindset it’s hard to embrace.

We got the Foundation and Certified Study Guides by Rachel Harrison which are written a million times better than the offical material. I’ll be studying them for a few weeks and plan the exams in January.

By the looks of it you can do both exams combined or seperately. Not sure on which route I’ll take. The foundation exam is a 40 question multiple choice exam for which you need to score 22 correctly (55%). In the combined exam you can directly start the 2nd exam. This is an 8 question scenario based multiple choice question exam where bad anwsers can still give you partial points (5, 3, 1 or 0 points). You need 24 out of a potential 40 points to pass (60%). Looking at the exam questions from both it doesn’t seem that hard if you know the material and use common sense.

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

FCKGW posted:

Georgia Tech's online masters program is pretty legit and it's not that much more than WGU.

Did you do this program? Which one?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Diva Cupcake posted:

Graduated the Information Technology - Security track back in 2016. I was already employed with ample experience but my recent job change to security architecture at BigComp probably wouldn’t have panned out without the degree checkbox.

The relative worth of the certs is probably questionable but for the purposes of bypassing HR filtering at companies that care about that sort of thing, it’s very valid.

Current company pays for grad school so I’ll almost certainly be going to an online program at a known brick and mortar school for my masters. Strictly for signaling not for distaste of WGU.

Make sense. I'm in the same mindset that certifications merely complement your education and experience. I'm already employed as well but I don't have the degree checkbox. It's fine but my only realistic option is an online college.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

WGU Grad in 2014. BS IT Network Design and Management. Overall positive experience, and it satisfies the checkbox on HR forms.

I haven't changed jobs since I got it though, I got a good promotion while in the middle of it and haven't job searched since.

Wild Bill
Oct 4, 2001

Tab8715 posted:

Not direct experience, but one of my coworkers with experience but no degree used WGU and got his BS and MS in Cybersecurity over two and a half years or so, and had nothing but good things to say. About a year or so after, he jumped from government consulting to another job for a pretty big raise. I've kept putting it off, but I'm going to be starting January 1st if all goes well.

Somewhat related, does anyone know if WGU is part of the VMware academy program, or know where to find a list of participating schools? I'm looking to pick up a cheap VCP cert, but their website is maddening...

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
I've got an unrelated BA and a Master's in Information Science, which sounds like it's related to IT, but isn't really at all (not that HR departments need to know that). It was from when I thought I wanted to be a librarian.

I keep considering another Master's with WGU or some other online program but I think the return would be less for me than if I didn't already have my MS.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I'm well into my 40s now and dropped out of college (was taking a music major lol) when the Web became a thing because I was in a somewhat small town and picked up HTML and network pretty quickly so I was able to get decent paying jobs and lead to a 20+ year in the industry. I'm just going to stick with certs because I really can't justify the time and money to get a masters or even BA.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
I don't suppose anyone's heard of WGU allowing non-American students again, eh? :smith:

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Wild Bill posted:

Not direct experience, but one of my coworkers with experience but no degree used WGU and got his BS and MS in Cybersecurity over two and a half years or so, and had nothing but good things to say. About a year or so after, he jumped from government consulting to another job for a pretty big raise. I've kept putting it off, but I'm going to be starting January 1st if all goes well.

Somewhat related, does anyone know if WGU is part of the VMware academy program, or know where to find a list of participating schools? I'm looking to pick up a cheap VCP cert, but their website is maddening...

https://www.stanly.edu/future-students/continuing-education/technology-courses/vmware-vsphere-install-configure-manage

Get on the waitlist. I did it for VCP5 and it was maybe $150? for the mandatory class

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Stanly posted:

VMware has informed academies worldwide that they will no longer be able to offer classes through Continuing Education programs as of July 31, 2018. Additionally, VMware is not going to allow academies to teach the official Install, Configure and Manage or Optimize and Scale classes as of July 31, 2018. A new VCA level course that will fulfill the class requirement for VCP certification will be available via an option in our curriculum program. More details will be available later this year.

However, this decision by VMware means that your costs for our classes will go from $185 USD to the following after July 31, 2018: In-State Students: $342.25 USD Out-of-State Students: $918.25 USD

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

Yeah, good thing I was already able to take the class. I am now officially a VMWare Certified Professional as of like 40 minutes ago.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

'grats

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

snackcakes posted:

Yeah, good thing I was already able to take the class. I am now officially a VMWare Certified Professional as of like 40 minutes ago.

Way to go :hfive:

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Also it might still be the case that current students can get a referral code to waive your application fee for WGU. It's like $65, so it's not nothin'.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Might be a bit outside of this thread, but is there a WGU equivalent that has a web-dev and design focus?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

AlternateAccount posted:

Also it might still be the case that current students can get a referral code to waive your application fee for WGU. It's like $65, so it's not nothin'.

The application fee is bot protection. Sign up, get to the application fee stage, and exit the page. You'll get a call within 5 minutes from a recruiter who will waive the fee.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Well that’s lame

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Judge Schnoopy posted:

The application fee is bot protection. Sign up, get to the application fee stage, and exit the page. You'll get a call within 5 minutes from a recruiter who will waive the fee.

Ha, excellent tip.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
How do y’all decide what cert to take next? When I was doing comptia poo poo at first it was “ok take A+, then Net+, then Sec+, then CCNA R&S” as like the gold standard. Then I grabbed an Azure cert because I decided I wanna use Azure and now I’m picking up ITIL as a whatever it’s easy cert. not really sure where to go from here other than taking the Azure transition cert

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Kashuno posted:

How do y’all decide what cert to take next? When I was doing comptia poo poo at first it was “ok take A+, then Net+, then Sec+, then CCNA R&S” as like the gold standard. Then I grabbed an Azure cert because I decided I wanna use Azure and now I’m picking up ITIL as a whatever it’s easy cert. not really sure where to go from here other than taking the Azure transition cert

I usually pick what’s interesting me the most at a time I want to start studying again. It’s usually a combination of technology/knowledge I lack and would like to learn more about. I also try to think about if it would come in handy for my current or an upcoming gig (I work as a contractor).

I’ve got a bit of experience (and certs) already so I can mostly land the roles I’m looking for purely by resume. It means my recent certs are all over the place in completely different technolgies (cisco, red hat, aws, togaf). Next up is either Ansible or another AWS cert.

If I were new I’d probably look at a tech stack that’d interest me for the next 5 years and do a few certs in a row while working with it.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
How long should Windows 10 MCSA reasonably take me if I'm moderately competent in working with W10/Active Directory?

I'm being offered a boot camp from my boss and it's a requirement of my job, though with it retiring they'll take the Modern Desktop Administrator Associate as an equivalent if I don't get the MCSA before it's gone. I'd like to get it out of the way without worrying about whatever delta information I'd have to learn for the new cert.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

How long should Windows 10 MCSA reasonably take me if I'm moderately competent in working with W10/Active Directory?

I'm being offered a boot camp from my boss and it's a requirement of my job, though with it retiring they'll take the Modern Desktop Administrator Associate as an equivalent if I don't get the MCSA before it's gone. I'd like to get it out of the way without worrying about whatever delta information I'd have to learn for the new cert.

Just to warn you but there’s quite a few bullshit/poorly designed questions, and there’s a lot of outdated material already (little mention of Azure AD for instance). Maybe 4-8 weeks?
fyi I have done 70-697, so half

Woof Blitzer fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Dec 11, 2018

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Did something happen to the VMware academic alliance (the thing where colleges offered the VCP classes)? It looks like all mention of the VCP has been scrubbed from their site and replaced with the (low-value from what I understand) VCA?

FlyTB20C
Sep 16, 2004

Any last minute hot tips for Security+? I've been studying for a while but the acronym hell is still tripping me up a bit. I've got the exam scheduled for tomorrow afternoon. I did manage to make it through A+ and Network+ without too much trouble.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

Schadenboner posted:

Did something happen to the VMware academic alliance (the thing where colleges offered the VCP classes)? It looks like all mention of the VCP has been scrubbed from their site and replaced with the (low-value from what I understand) VCA?

Fordan had info in his post (linked below.)

fordan posted:

Quotes...

I asked earlier about being an aimless, un-certified journeyman and was told to do some soul searching about what I want to. I've thought about it, and I think I most enjoy working with our VMWare stack so that would be my first place to start formalizing my knowledge and getting certified. We've got some datacenter upgrades and DR / hybrid cloud projects on our horizon so I'm thinking about hitting my boss up for training.

In speaking with our VMWare reps, they pitched the VSphere Fast Track course to me as a way to set me up for what's coming. I think I'm pretty solid on installing/managing (at least I was with 5.5, 6.5 isn't hard so far) but I'm worried that I would have some gaps if I went straight for the Optimize and Scale course. Obviosulny, I don't know what I don't know, but if anyone has experience with the two courses I would be interested to hear about them, like was Fast Track remedial/superficial, did O&S require knowledge that wouldn't be picked up through day-to-day administration.

And If I read correctly, I that should pretty much set me up for the VCP-DCV cert. Is that a very worthwhile one to hold? I'm relatively happy with where I work, and if I were to leave I would be trying to stay in the public sector for pension reasons. I also was curious if there's a good way to renew every 2 years without doing an expensive/time consuming course. I don't see myself doing much job hopping or getting more than in-grade progressions so I'm not sure it it will pay for itself, but it would be nice to have as insurance.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

monsterzero posted:

Fordan had info in his post (linked below.)

:doh:

I just realized that his OP had sent me there in the first place a couple of days ago.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Anybody know what's replacing the current Windows 10 MCSA? Is it just going to be an updated version?

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

tadashi posted:

Anybody know what's replacing the current Windows 10 MCSA? Is it just going to be an updated version?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/learning/modern-desktop.aspx

MD-100 and MD-101 are the new equivalent exams. Haven't really looked at the content of them yet, I'm trying to bang out the MCSA Win 10 before the changeover. Worst case I'll take the 698 before it expires and then the MD-101, because I hear that the 697 is a bloated piece of poo poo exam that covers tech like Microsoft Intune in great detail.

Japanese Dating Sim fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jan 3, 2019

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Mmmm my new job is going to require me to get my MCSE 2016 in like 6-7 months, on a scale of 1 to I will become a literal basement dweller, how bad will it be? I've been a systems/network admin/sort of engineer for the past 5 years.

I assume they'll want me to do core infrastructure track, though I was dumb and didn't clarify, I've also avoided microsoft certs in favor of cisco (and stuff my current job wanted like NSE4)

MF_James fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jan 3, 2019

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
the core infra track is 4 exams right? I've doing 1 Microsoft exam a month or so on a different path, and it hasn't been terrible in terms of getting through the course material or the exam themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

My whole team is being required to pass all 5 of the Office 2016 MOS tests by July, and I'm having trouble describing how little I want to spend my life studying the intricacies of PowerPoint formatting or whatever. Anyone have a good guess on how much work this is actually going to be? I've heard everything from "pretty easy" to "spend your life memorizing more petty detail than the A+ used to have".