Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Faustine
Sep 2, 2018
Can anyone sell me on why they thought Disgrace was good? I had to read it for a college class on Man Booker prize winners and shortlist books and loving despised it on almost every level. The only thing I liked was the writing style.

I read some other books in that class that owned (The Testament of Mary by Colm Toibin was my favorite) but hot drat I hated Disgrace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Mrenda posted:

To The Lighthouse seems to have more of a subject I'm interested in, but Mrs Dalloway has more angry reviews quoting passages of the book that read amazingly well.

Dalloway, then To the Lighthouse. Lighthouse might be confusing if you haven't experienced Woolf yet. That part in the middle

Pretty much everything she writes is good, just be aware that they are various shades of modernist experimental. They're conventional British novels, except time is a viscous fluid shaped by characters' subjective thoughts within them. She has more control than Joyce and the novels aren't boring, but they are quiet and personal.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
In the States? Do you have a link? Amazon and B&N have it released on 02/19/29.

Edit: this is re: Drive Your Plow Over the Bones of the Dead

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Doctor Faustine posted:

Can anyone sell me on why they thought Disgrace was good? I had to read it for a college class on Man Booker prize winners and shortlist books and loving despised it on almost every level. The only thing I liked was the writing style.

I read some other books in that class that owned (The Testament of Mary by Colm Toibin was my favorite) but hot drat I hated Disgrace.

It's about an arrogant old white dude getting pwned repeatedly what's not to like.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

Bilirubin posted:

yabut this gem from To the Lighthouse

At least they are honest with themselves here. I prefer the super arrogant ones putting down experimental classics for not being relatable enough

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Mrs Dalloway owns

I find Woolf’s stream of consciousness to be extremely enjoyable.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Mrenda posted:

I'm trying to decide between getting Mrs. Dalloway or To The Lighthouse. To The Lighthouse's description on Woolf's wikipedia page seems to say it'll have more in it that'll rile me up good and proper for some rollercoaster modernism, but Mrs Dalloway's Goodreads page has more angry reviews that quote passages as proof she's a bad writer that just make me feel ashamed of my own writing.

Help me decide, goons.

here are some posts i made about woolf:

Foul Fowl posted:

i always recommend that people read her (short) essays modern fiction and mr bennett and mrs brown before trying to tackle her novels. it's a quick read which makes her (unbelievably original) project of literary consciousness much more visible and digestible. i think woolf is also one of those writers who you really come to appreciate after reading lots of modernism, where the deftness and dexterity of her language and narrative locus just blows everybody else out of the water. joyce, elliott, pound, etc. etc. were more clever, but imo woolf was certainly a better writer than all of them.

Foul Fowl posted:

i would start with reading her essays 'modern fiction' and 'mr bennett and mrs brown', they're very helpful in understanding her aspirations of literary consciousness, and they're on google, and they're also very good. she wrote heaps and heaps of criticism - a room of one's own, three guineas, thunder at wembley, the death of the moth, etc. etc. all good poo poo.

mrs. dalloway is the best novel to start reading woolf i think, it's kind of a thesis statement for much of the rest of her work (and also really good). to the lighthouse is an excellent novel but i wouldn't go into it without having some sense of woolf. same for between the acts and jacob's room. if you want to read the waves, leave it for last. it's very good but impossible to read without a broader understanding of her. you can read orlando at any time basically, it's very different from the rest of her books.

skip the voyage out, it's only interesting to read if you're really into woolf. i still haven't read the years.

i think woolf is a lot less challenging once you understand what effects she's aiming for. but equally i think it's just as important not to think too hard about it and just let the prose wash over you while you're reading.

Foul Fowl fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jan 3, 2019

Doctor Faustine
Sep 2, 2018

porfiria posted:

It's about an arrogant old white dude getting pwned repeatedly what's not to like.

Having to read a story from the perspective of a thoroughly repugnant arrogant old white dude, no matter how often he got pwned.

Also I might be literally allergic to the “aging professor bangs nubile college student” plot point. It doesn’t matter the book, it is always a massive turn off for me.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Doctor Faustine posted:

Also I might be literally allergic to the “aging professor bangs nubile college student” plot point. It doesn’t matter the book, it is always a massive turn off for me.

You should read Chekhov's A Dreary Story for a guaranteed mood-improving take on the aging professor in a spiritual crisis motif

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Burning Rain posted:

At least they are honest with themselves here. I prefer the super arrogant ones putting down experimental classics for not being relatable enough

what like

quote:

What drivel is this?

There are so many supplicants at this alter (of the emperor’s new clothes) that I am obviously an illiterate idiot for besmirching it. So be it, I stand fast.

(They go on then to suggest that To the Lighthouse is a pale rewrite of Mrs. Dalloway that is just tedious but ends with "Literary techniques? The one where narrative sequence jumps from character to character just like Mrs Dalloway? Check, we got it here.

This is what happens to most sequels: they’re just never as good as the pilot. "

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

ban goodreads from the internet

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Even positive goodreads reviews are insufferable, like an extension of a poo poo mfa project, people who think they're Knausgaard

This is the same phenomenon on mubi, where user reviews of good movies are often downright incomprehensible even with a character limit

suspendedreason posted:

I'm reading the 2002 Melisende Kalila, translated by Saleh Sa'adeh Jallad from al-Muqaffa's edition. I only have selections (a half dozen stories plus al-Muqaffa's intro) in PDF form but they give a flavor; happy to host/link to anything people are interested in.

Thank you pal, I'll get searching for similar material

Doctor Faustine
Sep 2, 2018

J_RBG posted:

Even positive goodreads reviews are insufferable, like an extension of a poo poo mfa project, people who think they're Knausgaard

The only reviews on Goodreads that are ever halfway tolerable are negative reviews of poo poo books, but given that Goodreads is the website where The Name of the Wind has like a 4.5 star average, those are vanishingly few.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
Reading 'name of the wind' was a sort of epiphany for me. I realized that even smart, well-read people who I enjoy being around and who are great conversationalists and great people in general, actually don't know how to read. That book was the most talked up/poo poo ratio I've ever experienced.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

my goodreads reviews are second to none

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

CestMoi posted:

my goodreads reviews are second to none

so 1/10?

whatevz
Sep 22, 2013

I lack the most basic processes inherent in all living organisms: reproducing and dying.

whatevz fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Apr 25, 2022

Doctor Faustine
Sep 2, 2018

derp posted:

Reading 'name of the wind' was a sort of epiphany for me. I realized that even smart, well-read people who I enjoy being around and who are great conversationalists and great people in general, actually don't know how to read. That book was the most talked up/poo poo ratio I've ever experienced.

I know people with loving English degrees who think that book is great and it baffles the hell out of me. Like, if you have a degree in English presumably have read actually great books, so how could you think The Name of the Wind is that good? Or good at all?

I get it if all you’ve ever read is bottom of the barrel pulp SFF but there’s even plenty of other fantasy books that are miles better than Name of the Wind. Everything even remotely interesting in NotW, Ursula LeGuin did like a thousand times better in the sixties with A Wizard of Earthsea and managed to do it in less than 300 pages while Rothfuss is two 1000 page doorstoppers deep and nowhere close to being done.

Doctor Faustine fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jan 3, 2019

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Let's talk some more about the Rothfuss guy who every other thread on these forums is already about

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Ras Het posted:

Let's talk some more about the Rothfuss guy who every other thread on these forums is already about

don't raise a wroth fuss about it

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Doctor Faustine posted:

Also I might be literally allergic to the “aging professor bangs nubile college student” plot point.

:same:

I’d rather read a million schlock fantasy novels than another self-serous thinly-veiled author insert as the misunderstood genius and blah blah like if Nabokov wrote Lolita without any deeper level of irony.

Also seconding Woolf’s literary criticism. It’s very good and infinitely more insightful than your standard Pomo garbage

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Speaking of schlock fantasy (and horror) novels, I've read a fuckload of them lately and really need to get back to something more substantial. Recommend me an excellent book that would appeal to a horror nerd, please. If Blackwater counts, I've already read that and it was great.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

Doctor Faustine posted:

if you have a degree in English presumably have read actually great books

I have an English degree and let me just dispel this notion

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Ras Het posted:

You should read Chekhov's A Dreary Story for a guaranteed mood-improving take on the aging professor in a spiritual crisis motif
It's really good.

Doctor Faustine
Sep 2, 2018

MockingQuantum posted:

Speaking of schlock fantasy (and horror) novels, I've read a fuckload of them lately and really need to get back to something more substantial. Recommend me an excellent book that would appeal to a horror nerd, please. If Blackwater counts, I've already read that and it was great.

Maybe a bit of a stretch, but have you read Beloved by Toni Morrison? It’s extremely good, very powerful, but it’s also deeply unsettling at points.

If you like short fiction, a lot of Hawthorne’s short stories have a good creepy vibe to them, too.

Lex Neville posted:

I have an English degree and let me just dispel this notion

My bachelor’s and master’s are both in English and yeah... there was definitely a reason I used the word “presumably.”

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
I was being a little facetious because I absolutely did read a lot of great books as part of uni courses but I'm definitely guilty of passing entire courses by way of synopses etc too

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Doctor Faustine posted:

Maybe a bit of a stretch, but have you read Beloved by Toni Morrison? It’s extremely good, very powerful, but it’s also deeply unsettling at points.

If you like short fiction, a lot of Hawthorne’s short stories have a good creepy vibe to them, too.

My bachelor’s and master’s are both in English and yeah... there was definitely a reason I used the word “presumably.”

I have not read Beloved, but I've been meaning to, thanks for the reminder! I've also never read any Hawthorne, so I'll track some down as well. Though I remember being forced to read some bizarre excerpt (but by no means much) of The Scarlet Letter in junior high and dissect it because the way American schools teach literature is bullshit

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

MockingQuantum posted:

the sailor who fell from grace with the sea

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

You can trust Goodreads reviews if there are about 10-12 of them. That indicates a book that avid readers have decided to check out based on their publicity or word of mouth and felt strongly enough about to review. Any fewer and you're going off the word of some anonymous rando and any more you're looking at the lowest common denominator.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

MockingQuantum posted:

The most horror-y book on my shelves that isn't by Stephen King is The Master and Margarita, which is about demons coming to Moscow and loving with everyone. It's more lurid and frantic than scary, but it's some excellent Real Literature.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Sham bam bamina! posted:

The most horror-y book on my shelves that isn't by Stephen King is The Master and Margarita, which is about demons coming to Moscow and loving with everyone. It's more lurid and frantic than scary, but it's some excellent Real Literature.

I absolutely love Master and Margarita. Blew my mind when I was a teenager and was one of the few non-assigned books I found time for in my junior year of college. I'm well overdue for a re-read though. Who's the preferred translation these days? I think when I got my copy, there was only one translation I could find, but that was over 15 years ago now.

CestMoi posted:

Excellent, also been meaning to read some Mishima forever.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

MockingQuantum posted:

I have not read Beloved, but I've been meaning to, thanks for the reminder! I've also never read any Hawthorne, so I'll track some down as well. Though I remember being forced to read some bizarre excerpt (but by no means much) of The Scarlet Letter in junior high and dissect it because the way American schools teach literature is bullshit

Stephen Crane's collection The Monster and Other Stories is also good and spooky.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

MockingQuantum posted:

Who's the preferred translation these days? I think when I got my copy, there was only one translation I could find, but that was over 15 years ago now.
The Burgin/O'Connor (which is from 1995).

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

MockingQuantum posted:

I like White is for Witching by Helen Oyeyemi

Also, nobody volunteered to run the new yearly reading challenge, throwing this out there in case anyone in here would be interested in starting one

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I kind of liked the scene from disgrace where he has to answer to the university committee

CestMoi posted:

Yeah read this

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Guy A. Person posted:

I like White is for Witching by Helen Oyeyemi

Oh my gosh I started that one and then completely failed to finish it before I had to return it to the library, I will definitely do that one soon, I remember liking what I read of it.

Franchescanado posted:

Stephen Crane's collection The Monster and Other Stories is also good and spooky.

Excellent, will check it out. Thanks!

Sham bam bamina! posted:

The Burgin/O'Connor (which is from 1995).

Cool, I'll see if I can track that one down. I'm 90% sure my copy is a Pevear/Volokhonsky, but I have no idea where it is.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
now i want to read 'a dreary story' but i'd have to either buy a whole collection full of stories i've already read, or buy a 99c 'classics to go' that doesn't even list a translator.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Guy A. Person posted:

Also, nobody volunteered to run the new yearly reading challenge, throwing this out there in case anyone in here would be interested in starting one

i'll do it, what do i do

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

derp posted:

now i want to read 'a dreary story' but i'd have to either buy a whole collection full of stories i've already read, or buy a 99c 'classics to go' that doesn't even list a translator.

Are you specifically avoiding reading it on a desktop or tablet? Cuz there are plenty of free versions a Google search away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

MockingQuantum posted:

A Visitation of Spirits by Randall Kenan