Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

is your guide updated? I needed it to get anywhere the last time and I need it again!

Hahaha, thanks!

I'm playing on and off and fiddling around but I suspect (hope) we're going to get some more balancing patches on the DLC content and that'll impact any guide so I'm holding off a bit till I'm confident changes are stable.

For now, here's my scratch sheet for builds:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1C7OUUKzsGJSSbswonWXmKJq0IGAhHHs0DgbYeRNGS4c/edit#gid=836793292

Nimble seems to be a strong alternative for backliners who arent' wearing heavy armor, or for 2nd-tier bros you have filling in your frontline, but endgame bros will still want to go brawny/battleforged.

Resolve seems more important than it was previously and given some of the higher-end beast content (Unholds, Schrats, Kraken) it seems very worthwhile to have Indomitable on your shield bros.

Overall company makeup I'm leaning towards is four shieldbro frontline, four backline (two archers, two pikes (one or both of whom can Sergeant)), four wingmen (spears early on, two-handers later). Then a reserve of at least one additional pike sergeant, at least one additional bowman, two more wingmen, at least two spare shieldbros.

Otherwise the main difference is that the early game is a lot harder because the DLC throws endgame content at you constantly from the beginning of the game so it's harder to find the bandit encounters that let you get a company rolling in terms of gear etc.

edit: this is the best trading seed I've yet found: https://bb.frukso.se/seed/HEHXPIZQPX/?fbclid=IwAR1FGD74M4OZixcVNCZ4gsdFMM_LQ-BZUB9XaeBeNw14WsUzKJhzE8vP4lc

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jan 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I found EPGLZQYKMK which has an iron lung'd and fearless axe bro, a strong/sure footed archer, and a team player shield bro. Map is solid, with quite a bit of trade potential, but I'm not sure if it's better than the one above.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Dreylad posted:

I found EPGLZQYKMK which has an iron lung'd and fearless axe bro, a strong/sure footed archer, and a team player shield bro. Map is solid, with quite a bit of trade potential, but I'm not sure if it's better than the one above.

Yeah, checking it out that seems ok but not turbocharged on trade like HEHXPIZQPX is -- HEHXPIZQPX has multiple southern dye villages in a loop, a northern lumber/furs loop, and a gem/salt mine town linking the two loops, so you can go really crazy with it -- one run, the northern port city got Ambushed Trade Routes, I was making 10k+ every loop, it got crazy.

i tend not to worry about starting bros too much because you can just restart the map a few times to find good hirelings now and worse comes to worst you can always use BBedit

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Yo Hieronymous, can you explain how to use Nimble now? Before I just went with the least encumbering armour, now I can't really figure out how best to equip them.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Tias posted:

Yo Hieronymous, can you explain how to use Nimble now? Before I just went with the least encumbering armour, now I can't really figure out how best to equip them.

There's a better explanation than I could give posted up thread by smart folks but the short version is wear armor totaling about 15-20 total fatigue penalty (armor + helm) max, which probably means wolf enhanced chainmail and a coif or something similar, at least early game.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Okay, I can't seem to find it..

..But also a shield? Or is that for late game challenges?

:confused:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Two quick questions I've been wondering about, figured someone in here might know:

1. Do some backgrounds have an innate higher chance of getting good rolls in certain stats, regardless of stars? It feels like hunters get a lot of 3 rolls for RA, even with no stars.

2. Do fatalities have a bigger morale impact on surrounding enemies? It feels like it does, but again, I don't have any evidence for it.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
Just started playing this a couple days ago - thanks for the guides, H. Alloy, they've been very instructive.

About Ambitions - how regularly do you need to be completing them? I took "clear an enemy camp" as my first one in the early game and then couldn't find jack poo poo, finally completing it on day 20. Is this so late that I might as well start over, or is the impact not really that great? I think my company is doing fairly well otherwise.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Ixjuvin posted:

Just started playing this a couple days ago - thanks for the guides, H. Alloy, they've been very instructive.

About Ambitions - how regularly do you need to be completing them? I took "clear an enemy camp" as my first one in the early game and then couldn't find jack poo poo, finally completing it on day 20. Is this so late that I might as well start over, or is the impact not really that great? I think my company is doing fairly well otherwise.

For ambitions you're probably fine. You picked a bad one for your first one and might be locked out of a couple early game ones but that's okay. A few others you'll probably be able to complete in rapid succession and it likely won't have a long-term negative effect if you think you're doing well otherwise.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Latest patch adds more tools to bigger settlements. I was wondering if it was me or if it was really hard to find them generally. That's a helpful change.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Nimble bros are fine with just 115/-12 mail and a Nasal Helmet or Mail Coif depending on whether or not sight range is an issue.
Sallet Helmets and Noble Mail are great but expensive and not strictly needed.

For attachments, the basic Direwolf one is the best readily available option.
The +40/-2 Lindwurm one is nice as well if you can get it. I'm currently building a Colossus/Nimble/Battle-Forged bro that Gridlocked and I discussed at some point. I'm hoping to get that bro somewhere around 75-80% armor and 50% HP damage with some good uniques and a Lindwurm cloak or the attachment that reduces the Fatigue penalty by 20%.
The attachments that reduce all incoming damage also seem great for Nimble since they expand the bro's overall ability to soak damage and not just armor and Nimble bros are very susceptible to getting slowly worn down. I haven't managed to craft one of those yet, though. And the one reducing melee damage requires a Kraken part, so, :lol:. That's not happening any time soon.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Nimble seems to be a strong alternative for backliners who arent' wearing heavy armor, or for 2nd-tier bros you have filling in your frontline, but endgame bros will still want to go brawny/battleforged.
I think having one or two Nimble melee bros to body block Berserkers or Hedge Knights is a good idea but otherwise, yeah. I've gone back to mostly Battle-Forged and I'm not regretting it.
Nimble is great for backliners, though, in part because it allows them to take a hit or two without worrying. They don't need babysitters anymore and I've sometimes deliberately left them next to an Orc for a turn when my melee bros were starting to look worse for wear.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Broken Cog posted:

Two quick questions I've been wondering about, figured someone in here might know:

1. Do some backgrounds have an innate higher chance of getting good rolls in certain stats, regardless of stars? It feels like hunters get a lot of 3 rolls for RA, even with no stars.

2. Do fatalities have a bigger morale impact on surrounding enemies? It feels like it does, but again, I don't have any evidence for it.
1. That would be weird, so probably not. My Sellswords definitely have no problem rolling 1s for Melee Skill.

2. There was a dev post or tweet at some point saying they don't.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Wizard Styles posted:

1. That would be weird, so probably not. My Sellswords definitely have no problem rolling 1s for Melee Skill.

Thanks, that's what I thought (about 2), it just kinda felt off, so I was wondering if it was worth using decapitate on enemies that aren't zombies. A bit of shame though, would make cleavers a little bit more useful.

Anyway, meet Ernst

Probably the best Hunter I've ever found.

Edit2: is there a way to tell the Militia to stop doing this/alternatively tell them to gently caress off completely during Undead defense missions?

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jan 3, 2019

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Broken Cog posted:

Thanks, that's what I thought (about 2), it just kinda felt off, so I was wondering if it was worth using decapitate on enemies that aren't zombies. A bit of shame though, would make cleavers a little bit more useful.

Anyway, meet Ernst

Probably the best Hunter I've ever found.

Edit2: is there a way to tell the Militia to stop doing this/alternatively tell them to gently caress off completely during Undead defense missions?

Ernst is a pretty good hunter yeah.

Re: Militia: no. They will do that bullshit all the time. You just have to accommodate or let them die (which in the crisis can be bad)

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I'm having a hell of a time finding any good ranged guys. It's still early days, but all the poachers end up with 45-50 RA and no stars in it. Bowyers always seem disappointing too, and I don't see many hunters but maybe it's worth saving to get one. I usually try to get a witchhunter but I haven't had any luck yet finding one.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Dreylad posted:

I'm having a hell of a time finding any good ranged guys. It's still early days, but all the poachers end up with 45-50 RA and no stars in it. Bowyers always seem disappointing too, and I don't see many hunters but maybe it's worth saving to get one. I usually try to get a witchhunter but I haven't had any luck yet finding one.

I stopped trying to get poachers, they always seem terrible. Still looking for hunters as well

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Broken Cog posted:

so I was wondering if it was worth using decapitate on enemies that aren't zombies. A bit of shame though, would make cleavers a little bit more useful.

If you're talking about the cleaver special, it's an execute - it does more damage as the opponents lose health. It's particularly good against enemies with a high health pool, like Orcs, Ogres/trolls, dragons and Treants. (too lazy to remember their in game names) because that bonus damage ramps up to significant levels.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I remember when I bought this a year or so ago, I saw a post here saying that the dev had announced they'd finished the game and wouldn't patch it any more or develop it further. Now there's DLC, and they're still patching it? Did they have a change of heart or announce something, or am I misremembering?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Change of heart/they need more money to put towards developing their next game

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I guarantee they need more money.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Are monster hunting quests given by the nobles worth doing? I especially mean the highest one (Schrats and Lindwurms) which pay like 120 gp per head which seems... weirdly low. Three Schrats will absolutely maul several of your mercenaries, giving each an injury or two and make them incapable of fighting for several days - and the pay barely covers the cost of medical supplies needed to cure them.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Gantolandon posted:

Are monster hunting quests given by the nobles worth doing? I especially mean the highest one (Schrats and Lindwurms) which pay like 120 gp per head which seems... weirdly low. Three Schrats will absolutely maul several of your mercenaries, giving each an injury or two and make them incapable of fighting for several days - and the pay barely covers the cost of medical supplies needed to cure them.

They give you knowledge of where to find Schrats and Lindwurms, though. Sometimes killing the monster is worth it for the monster parts/dropped loot.

Also, Schrats aren't so bad if you figure out how they work and cordon them off (assuming you're high enough level to do so) and don't stack people in straight lines while you hack them down. Lindwurms you can absolutely wreck quickly, although the armor repair bill will probably always be more than the gold per head just because of the Acid.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

TheAnomaly posted:

They give you knowledge of where to find Schrats and Lindwurms, though. Sometimes killing the monster is worth it for the monster parts/dropped loot.

Also, Schrats aren't so bad if you figure out how they work and cordon them off (assuming you're high enough level to do so) and don't stack people in straight lines while you hack them down. Lindwurms you can absolutely wreck quickly, although the armor repair bill will probably always be more than the gold per head just because of the Acid.

The secret to Lindwurms is embracing how awesome polearm bros got buffe

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Lindwurms aren't all that accurate, so you can tank them pretty easily by parking a bro with a shield in front of each one and keeping them all overwhelmed with your archers. If one of the shieldwalling bros gets hit too often you can generally just retreat him because the Lindwurm's tail doesn't have a zone of control.
Everyone else can lay into them with reach weapons.

The game still refuses to even just let me see a single Schrat in one of my runs so no idea what you'd do against them. Have a two-handed axe bro I guess?

e: I had one of those monster hunt contracts pay ~250 per head, up to 8 heads. Which is still less than a patrol contract would earn but I got a lot of Lindwurm parts out of it so it was still worth it.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jan 5, 2019

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
1-2 Lindwurms at once is fine, but beware of bigger groups. They take so long to kill that even though their hit chance is bad, some of your tanks might go down through sheer attrition.
Lost my best tank earlier to 3-4 <10 hits against a group of 5.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Wizard Styles posted:

Lindwurms aren't all that accurate, so you can tank them pretty easily by parking a bro with a shield in front of each one and keeping them all overwhelmed with your archers. If one of the shieldwalling bros gets hit too often you can generally just retreat him because the Lindwurm's tail doesn't have a zone of control.
Everyone else can lay into them with reach weapons.

The game still refuses to even just let me see a single Schrat in one of my runs so no idea what you'd do against them. Have a two-handed axe bro I guess?

e: I had one of those monster hunt contracts pay ~250 per head, up to 8 heads. Which is still less than a patrol contract would earn but I got a lot of Lindwurm parts out of it so it was still worth it.

Schrats attack everything in a direct line up to 4 squares, have huge penetration, and deal decent amounts of damage (about 50ish to armor and 30ish to health per hit). The also drop mini-schrats when they take large amounts of damage from slashing weapons, and they can regenerate a 20/20+ defense shield. You have to stagger your guys so you don't have any lines where they can hit multiple guys at once and you're usually ok - their to hit isn't great (I'm not sure if it's melee or ranged, probably melee across the line because they seem to have an easier time hitting backliners) but they hit hard and can rack up a lot of chances if you put people along a path for them. You want one axe guy to continuously hack their shield then shieldwall himself while polearms and archers attack from the sides. Against multiple you generally do the same thing, but you can triangle around a second/third with daggers or spears and never risk a mini-schrat. I haven't seen one from a sword, but I've never taken a t3/4 sword against one either - I do know military cleavers/kopesh's can hit them hard enough to spring a little bitch.

if you have exactly two, you can do one stagger pattern and then completely surround the second and hack it with whatever because it takes a free space for the mini-schrat to spawn. Keep in mind they only appear in forests, so the odds of actually getting to fully surround one are also pretty small. On the plus side they will come to you, and can't move more than 2 spaces and attack.. but keep in mind, they can move one space and target anything their line would hit.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Well, I guess I asked for this.

stopgap1
Jul 27, 2013

Wizard Styles posted:

Well, I guess I asked for this.

I can't wait to see how that turned out.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010

Yeah, checking it out that seems ok but not turbocharged on trade like HEHXPIZQPX is -- HEHXPIZQPX has multiple southern dye villages in a loop, a northern lumber/furs loop, and a gem/salt mine town linking the two loops, so you can go really crazy with it -- one run, the northern port city got Ambushed Trade Routes, I was making 10k+ every loop, it got crazy.

i tend not to worry about starting bros too much because you can just restart the map a few times to find good hirelings now and worse comes to worst you can always use BBedit

This seed owns bones

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

stopgap1 posted:

I can't wait to see how that turned out.
I managed to kill one but when it went down two of my bros were injured already. Seems like Schrats have Crippling Strikes?
So I ran, the company's retreat covered by a few brave dogs. Their sacrifice shall not be forgotten.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
If I encounter more than 2 Schrats I just run now, two seems to be just about the number I can kill without losing anyone (most of the time...) and the contract payments are never worth it. Contracts don't pay you nearly enough for dealing with them. They're up there with Alps on the "gently caress this" list, except Alps are more tedious than lethal.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Schrats are best dealt with with 2-3 offtanks. They don't have all that high MA, so you can easily distract 3-4 of them with 2 extra tanks, while you take them out, one by one.

Also, taunt taunt taunt.

stopgap1
Jul 27, 2013
I have gotten to the point I can take three without any losses somewhat reliably, but that doesn't mean things go smoothly. my last 3 was pretty brutal.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I took out five or six in one go with no losses but that was because they followed me out of a forest. Once you get a lategame company, keep some two-handed axes and longaxes in reserve, and outfit tons of people with them, so you can break their shields easily. But keep some two-handed hammers and swords around for using AOE to deal with the mini-schrats that will get spawned anytime you actually whack them with a big weapon.

Outside a forest you can actually rearrange your guys to prevent their AOE from hitting you, since there won't be chokepoints like in a forest. Fighting schrats in a forest loving sucks.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

vyelkin posted:

Fighting schrats in a forest loving sucks.

It almost feels like they have bonuses when fighting in a forest terrain.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
If there is more DLC to come I really hope they take a look at the endgame. I've beaten the second crisis and things just aren't fun anymore.
Apart from the 12 Schrats, I've started seeing multiple Shamans, multiple Necromancers, multiple Brigand Leaders and so on. There was also a fight against 40+ Webknechts. Most of the fights I get into now aren't in any way challenging but many of them are tedious.
In general I'm fine with just retiring after the first crisis. I think those runs work out well because when they end you usually have decent gear, a few uniques, a few brothers at level 11+, have seen most of the enemies and there's a natural stopping point.
But I wanted to go for the Black Monolith and the Kraken, maybe even the big Goblin city this time and I can't find the motivation to keep grinding until I'm ready for them.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Wizard Styles posted:

If there is more DLC to come I really hope they take a look at the endgame. I've beaten the second crisis and things just aren't fun anymore.
Apart from the 12 Schrats, I've started seeing multiple Shamans, multiple Necromancers, multiple Brigand Leaders and so on. There was also a fight against 40+ Webknechts. Most of the fights I get into now aren't in any way challenging but many of them are tedious.
In general I'm fine with just retiring after the first crisis. I think those runs work out well because when they end you usually have decent gear, a few uniques, a few brothers at level 11+, have seen most of the enemies and there's a natural stopping point.
But I wanted to go for the Black Monolith and the Kraken, maybe even the big Goblin city this time and I can't find the motivation to keep grinding until I'm ready for them.

Yeah, the next balancing patch needs to tweak the difficulty curve. Too much DLC content appears pre-crisis and then post-crisis things get wacky.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Yeah, the next balancing patch needs to tweak the difficulty curve. Too much DLC content appears pre-crisis and then post-crisis things get wacky.
I don't know how much can be done with patches alone. I've had the same issues with the post-crisis endgame before the DLC when I went for the Black Monolith/Goblin city.
To me there just aren't enough enemy types that are challenging for an endgame company so the game just keeps increasing their numbers. (Which is also what the Monolith and Goblin city do, of course.)
So at some point you've fought all the enemy types, your bros are mostly level 11+ and no longer get any perks, the only gear upgrades are uniques, but you still have to keep going if you want to get the Emperor set. And apparently the Kraken is at least close to the 47 enemies fights in difficulty.
There's just kind of a content gap between beating the first crisis and attempting the Kraken/Monolith/Goblin city.

On a positive note, though, the special Hexen fight you get the zombie dagger from is a fun endgame challenge. Probably more something to do around the time the first crisis hits as well (I did it afterwards and felt a little overleveled/-geared) but I liked that fight a lot.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Wizard Styles posted:

The second crisis does feel like it's around the point where the game's scaling falls apart.

If I was given the opportunity to completely redo the game's flow:
-Crisis at Day 200 but significantly longer and harder then the current crisis.
-Periodic mini-crises events on the way (noble skirmish, local greenskin/undead uprising)
-Perks get condensed into 1 or 2 fewer tiers with some of the late game build critical perks (duelist, nimble, etc) getting dropped to the first couple tiers
-Less enemy gating. I'd like enemy number and type to not be so heavily gated by day and band size. You might not be getting quests to take them on (or maybe there could be 4 or 5 skull quests involving them) but I'd like harder and more diverse encounters to be around from the start. Maybe make "Reduced Gating" or "No Gating" an option on the initial map setup menu, like "Permanent Destruction"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Wizard Styles posted:

On the subject.. How far does a kill spread panic. 4 squares like rally, or do all allies check for it?