Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Did they actually sign their code because it would be pretty trivial to kill it if they did and if they didn't then you're going to have to click through a lot of warnings to get it to launch.

AV software on Mac is a blight on an otherwise reasonably secure platform and you should not install it.

e: lol of course they're leveraging lovely Java security for persistence
well ya agreed i figured i'd post the list of malware to laugh at. not impossible to get hold of a code signing cert though let's be honest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

well ya agreed i figured i'd post the list of malware to laugh at. not impossible to get hold of a code signing cert though let's be honest

Yeah it's not difficult, but it also means you can push a revocation which will block the install going forward and block launching on existing infected systems. First couple suckers are going to get popped but after that you've turned over the keys to deactivate your payload to the other team

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

man i wish cert revoc was that effective in practice

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

its definitely better in something like iOS where you don't have admin rights and code is delivered through an app store, but it still works well enough on a more conventional OS that isn't dog poo poo like windows that allows unsigned code to do loving anything forever because someone clicked a UAC dialog once months prior

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Did they actually sign their code because it would be pretty trivial to kill it if they did and if they didn't then you're going to have to click through a lot of warnings to get it to launch.

AV software on Mac is a blight on an otherwise reasonably secure platform and you should not install it.

e: lol of course they're leveraging lovely Java security for persistence

Mac users are conditioned to click to give root rights to everything anyway.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

spankmeister posted:

Mac users are conditioned to click to give root rights to everything anyway.

a revoked cert won't give you the choice to run it from the finder. you have to turn off code signing entirely and the option to do that isn't surfaced on demand, you have to go rooting through system prefs if you even know how to turn it off

it also won't offer to run an unsigned app through the fast/easy path (double click), you don't get the run anyway button. you have to use the open command from a menu for it to present that

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

i was thinking about the detection->revoked stage where you go from it being live to blacklisted before it's hit more machines

they definitely have a better foundation for minimising risks, but there's always going to be a delay before the revocation goes live. do apple have an auto-revoke mechanism for random third parties to challenge with a signed payload?

i'd be p interested in an analysis of the larger CAs revoke process in practice as well. it's very much part of the malware handling process that goes undocumented

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

i was thinking about the detection->revoked stage where you go from it being live to blacklisted before it's hit more machines

they definitely have a better foundation for minimising risks, but there's always going to be a delay before the revocation goes live. do apple have an auto-revoke mechanism for random third parties to challenge with a signed payload?

i'd be p interested in an analysis of the larger CAs revoke process in practice as well. it's very much part of the malware handling process that goes undocumented

in the case of loading malicious ca trusts or certs locally, standard practice from MS seems to be to automatically push local trust updates to the clients to bin them so they don't stick around for too long. I assume Apple is doing something similar since they've clearly thought through code signing on their platform and are far more mature in that space that Windows. there's never going to be a 100% effective route for blocking polymorphic threats short of going full applocker and only allowing known certs/vendors/hashes and even then you need to watch out for poo poo like dll injection, 3rd party components like jars and whatnot though it severely reduces potential impact since you don't have an immediate path to escalate to root/admin unless someone is turning over their password

Daman
Oct 28, 2011

Wheany posted:

is there a hex editor or something that can automatically highlight numbers that are likely offsets or close to an offset to the thing you're looking at?

because literally every binary file format ever is [4 byte magic value][4 byte offset][4 byte size][variable number of bytes for other metadata][data]

some times it's really easy to spot the approximate place where the data starts in the file, so is there any software where i can highlight a piece of text and the program will show places that look like they might be offsets to that data. (like anything that points to the start of the selection or within ~20 bytes before the selection)

the best hex editor for anything close to this is 010 editor: https://www.sweetscape.com/010editor/

you can write templates in a scripting language similar to C and apply arbitrary highlighting.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Max Facetime posted:

raccoon isn’t really descriptive of build tools

should have named it niggurath instead

there’s a vpn daemon called raccoon I think

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

Partycat posted:

there’s a vpn daemon called raccoon I think

lol yeah. dude saw the name he wanted was taken so he went with the nickname, not knowing it’s super offensive in the anglosphere

problem was when this was helpfully pointed out to him, he and a bunch of other folks kept doubling down that it’s ok bc he didn’t MEAN to be offensive, despite monocqc and a few others repeatedly explaining why his intent wasn’t the issue

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

e: never mind

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
hey guys I wrote this daemon to re-verify tape archives in the background, what do you think

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

haveblue posted:

hey guys I wrote this daemon to re-verify tape archives in the background, what do you think

lol

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

haveblue posted:

took me a minute

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

man i wish cert revoc was that effective in practice

it is

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

some guy claims to have cracked open widevine drm

https://twitter.com/david3141593/status/1080606827384131590

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Daman posted:

the best hex editor for anything close to this is 010 editor: https://www.sweetscape.com/010editor/

you can write templates in a scripting language similar to C and apply arbitrary highlighting.

I guess I'll try the trial at least, thanks

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

haveblue posted:

This took me way too long to solve for this ableist joke, and so here it is in spoiler tags:

re+tar+d

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
on one hand I never really had any particular training on *nix

on the other hand I feel like I should've learned that tar was short for tape archive some time before now

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved

That L3 security level is the "security through obscurity" variant which, no surprise to anyone, is vulnerable as hell if you try hard enough. Software obfuscation only. L2 and L1 are the security levels that try to actually involve OS/hardware in the protection.

Always happy to see DRM crumble but this might not be that big an achievement.

Then again, considering that only mobile devices get above L3 security, this is still something.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

haveblue posted:

actual lol

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

rjmccall posted:

my favorite part of the coon controversy was the guy confidently linking to the south park wiki

I like the part where they think what matters is which meaning they have chosen and not that when someone looks up the word and sees

coon

noun
  • an eccentric or undignified rustic; "I'll be a gone coon when the battle starts"
  • (ethnic slur) offensive name for a Black person; "only a Black can call another Black a nigga"
  • North American raccoon

and has to give 33% to 50% chances to the name being racist

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

ErIog posted:

This took me way too long to solve for this ableist joke, and so here it is in spoiler tags:

re+tar+d

duh, i thought it was

tar+ba+by

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved

sadus posted:

Oh boy "Hacking Chromecasts/Google Homes/SmartTVs Progress: 7893/123141 [6.40973%]"
http://casthack.thehackergiraffe.com/

What exactly is this hack? Surely it's not just "Chromecast listens for anonymous commands from the internet and asks UPnP to open the port"?

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

yes. yes it is. and also

https://twitter.com/HackerGiraffe/status/1080702645051056128

e: they deleted it. admitted to being bad at opsec and hoping nobody would care too much. poop touchers being dumb confirmed

geonetix fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jan 3, 2019

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

“hacking” anno 2019 is literally nothing else than looking for an open mongodb or scada port on shodan and hoping for the best

e: oh and give it a funky name and logo

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Jimmy Carter posted:

I'm not aware of any Mac AV that's anything other than snake oil which causes kernel panics. Maybe get yourself a Little Snitch license if you want to increase your paranoia. Install software updates, don't disable SIP and that's about it.

https://twitter.com/taviso/status/732365178872856577

DrPossum fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jan 4, 2019

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Max Facetime posted:

I like the part where they think what matters is which meaning they have chosen and not that when someone looks up the word and sees

i had just never considered that some non-american might watch south park and not recognize the running joke that everything associated with cartman is at least subtly and often unsubtly racist

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

rjmccall posted:

i had just never considered that some non-american might watch south park and not recognize the running joke that everything associated with cartman is at least subtly and often unsubtly racist

ah yes, that "running joke", not "intentional design reflective of the writers"

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
yes, it is a recurring intentional element of the show's script-writing that the producers think is funny, or in common parlance a "running joke"

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

well this went under the radar
https://twitter.com/dragosr/status/1080599911110868992
https://2018.zeronights.ru/wp-content/uploads/materials/19-Researching-Marvell-Avastar-Wi-Fi.pdf
the presentation focuses on steamlink
video (russian): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Him_Lf5ZJ38

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

how long until we get a ps4 or xbone jailbreak

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

considering who it is, I wouldn't hold your breath

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

considering who it is, I wouldn't hold your breath

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

okay this is where you look past the tweet and at the paper and presentation not involving dragos

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

okay this is where you look past the tweet and at the paper and presentation not involving dragos

don't post tweets if you don't want people to react to the tweet

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

I'm sorry I usually only read dragos tweets if I want to laugh at a crazy person and then feel bad about myself for laughing at a person with obvious mental illness.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

geonetix posted:

“hacking” anno 2019 is literally nothing else than looking for an open mongodb or scada port on shodan and hoping for the best

e: oh and give it a funky name and logo

dammit I thought there was a new Anno game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
same but the digits don't sum to 9 so that couldn't be it