Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Guys you should be playing the video games. The UI is awful but it's like 1% of the experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I spend like zero time anywhere in the UI but the pop-out menu. I hear people complain about the Home screen and I'm like "why do you ever have the home screen up"

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
There's a UI? I just run it the same way I have run everything that last 30 years, put the videogame in the machine and play it.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Game Pass good

State of Decay 2 bad

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

What are you guys doing to your bones to be getting all these urinary infections?

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
It’s all the Mountain Dew

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Ryoga posted:

put the videogame in the machine

This is not Mattrick's will, you fool.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

The xboxonex UI is so bad if I don't launch a game within a few seconds of booting up the thing just shuts off.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Game Pass good

State of Decay 2 bad

It's so goddamn bad. Way to take a decent skeleton of a game and not only do nothing to improve it but actually make it worse.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I was shocked as hell that the only major campaign thing they added was red eye zombie spawners. That they took away plentiful vehicles was blowing my mind. That a quiet search still takes 12 seconds was what made me quit tho.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Real hurthling! posted:

I was shocked as hell that the only major campaign thing they added was red eye zombie spawners. That they took away plentiful vehicles was blowing my mind. That a quiet search still takes 12 seconds was what made me quit tho.

All this poo poo.

I made it like 5 hours or less before calling it quits. And the grind feels worse than in the original.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Malcolm Excellent posted:

All this poo poo.

I made it like 5 hours or less before calling it quits. And the grind feels worse than in the original.

Five hours is about as long as I made it, too. I never played SoD or YOSE so I can't compare, but a friend of mine (and goon with regdate 2005, 0 posts) has sat at #1 on most of the PC leaderboards of YOSE for quite some time. He was holding off on SoD2 until it came to Steam because we're both pretty staunchly against UWP/Windows Store but I convinced him to give it a shot with the $1 game pass trial because we wanted to see if co-op was fun or not. I think my biggest complaint (which isn't an issue in the first or YOSE) is that the vehicles get about 1-2 miles per tank of gas. It's exceptionally frustrating to drive 2,000 feet and refill the gas in solo play because it takes ten seconds to finish the refueling animation and a zombie blinking in your general direction will interrupt you and force you to start all over. It's also pretty lame that my game got caught in this endless loop of spawning zombies right next to me because my dumbass NPCs hanging out at the base wouldn't stop shooting their guns. One zombie appears, they shoot, zombies spawn within 20 feet due to the noise, other NPCs shoot, more spawn, etc. The only way I could fix it is to spend 3 minutes switching between characters and emptying their inventory of any firearms, which leaves them defenseless if I'm across the map while zombies decide to raid. A "horde" of zombies consists of maybe six or seven zombies so there's no real sense of urgency to GTFO of any situation even in solo play without NPC partners. It's overall a very disappointing game and I'm frustrated that I even mentioned the game pass deal to my buddy because now he's gonna spend another 200 hours playing lovely zombie games instead of going through his backlog or playing any other coop game.

edit: oh yeah and quiet search, too. That's just a dumb concept in general. If I clear out a building and all zombies within 50 yards of said building, rustling through a loving rubbermaid tote should not cause more zombies to spawn right on me.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

slidebite posted:

Came to the games forum to read about if I should drop my $$ on a X. Surprised I needed to go to the 4th page in the forum to find the thread, and even more surprised the last couple pages are basically

Thank you very much thread, I was deciding which console pack to buy, and the answer was none of them.

Hail Sony Pro I guess.

I recently upgraded to One X (been mostly playing RDR2 and BF5 so I've been posting in those threads) from my 2013 OG Bone and the graphics & fps improvements for the enhanced games are so worth it. Gives me high hopes for next gen because those two games almost look like a next gen leap.

I haven't had any issues whatsoever with it. It runs really quiet, is compact and I got it bundled with 8 games. Yes the UI is crap but it's not hard to pin what you use to the dashboard, like most other UI's you have to organise it to some degree (just Xbox needs it more than most).

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

Fanatic posted:

I recently upgraded to One X (been mostly playing RDR2 and BF5 so I've been posting in those threads) from my 2013 OG Bone and the graphics & fps improvements for the enhanced games are so worth it. Gives me high hopes for next gen because those two games almost look like a next gen leap.

I haven't had any issues whatsoever with it. It runs really quiet, is compact and I got it bundled with 8 games. Yes the UI is crap but it's not hard to pin what you use to the dashboard, like most other UI's you have to organise it to some degree (just Xbox needs it more than most).

Let's not pretend that the PS4 UI is great either. You can't re-arrange anything and it sticks you with a bunch of icons you'll never use but can't remove. I don't have enough games to be making folders and poo poo, I just want the 4 or 5 games that I own to be at the front, in the order in which I'm likeliest to want to play them, and you can't do that like you can on Xbox.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Monday_ posted:

Let's not pretend that the PS4 UI is great either. You can't re-arrange anything and it sticks you with a bunch of icons you'll never use but can't remove.

You can create folders and stuff all the apps you don't want to see in there.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

exquisite tea posted:

You can create folders and stuff all the apps you don't want to see in there.

You're quick. Can you move that folder to the back so you never have to look at it? Or is it going to be stuck in between Uncharted 4 and Uncharted Lost Legacy for some dumb reason?

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

enigmahfc posted:

It’s all the Mountain Dew

Microsoft can pry my Mtn Dew GamerFuel gamerpic from my cold dead xbox live account.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Monday_ posted:

You're quick. Can you move that folder to the back so you never have to look at it? Or is it going to be stuck in between Uncharted 4 and Uncharted Lost Legacy for some dumb reason?

Not manually. The PS4 UI pushes things to the front as they are used. In theory, if you add all your junk to a folder and then never touch it, it should be pushed to the back once everything else is used. If something "new" is added to that trash folder you'd have to repeat. It'd be nice for the PS4 UI to have other options for sorting, for sure.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Monday_ posted:

What I do is move all the games I play to one folder, then all the junk apps I never use to another folder. That way even if you use one of those apps once in a blue moon you can just always have the tab open to your Games folder in whatever order you want, rather than most recent in the top bar.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Fanatic posted:

Have you tried far cry 5 yet? Absurd graphics.

The UI is fine. I haven’t ever seen anyone suggest a workable alternative, tbh. The Xbox and ps4 both try to do a lot of different things, they’re the Swiss Army knife or the living room. The Xbox has come a long way in helping people customize it to their use style. Making an “objectively better” UI that can handle doing all the things these consoles do is just fundamentally impossible.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I would trade UI functionality on the Bone if it just ran smoother and didn't reliably lag out.

Or my favorite error I got once, hard locking the system if switched to any other tab of the UI even though playing games was fine.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

The store is so slow that it's really really easy to get it to crash and kick you back to the main dashboard.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I just use the main app menu to browse the Game Pass games and then I click on the store page from there and download and play.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I didn't think far cry 5 looked that much better on the X. I noticed a larger difference between doom 2016 on OG/X and wolfenstein 2.

Bf5 is sweet though. I'm playing in 1080 so I crank up my FOV and don't suffer any performance hits.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Doesn't FC5 run at 60fps on PC? Kinda wish it did on consoles, at least the X/Pro.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Anything runs at 60fps on PC if you spend $2000.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
One good thing I’ll say about the xbone, when I owned one for a period of time in 2016, Fallout 4 was the only game I owned digitally, and after I relogged into my account with my new xbone, not only was I able to redownload Fallout 4, but it had my game save file saved too.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

American McGay posted:

Anything runs at 60fps on PC if you spend $2000.

Not Crysis for like five years

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Yes it did. The only way Crysis didn't run at 60 was at max everything. I played it on release on a 8600.

If the only time you use the UI is to play Dad Simulator or that old bad 360 game then you miss the point. When I'm making a group post, inviting people, starting parties, looking for recent players, and going through clips all the time waiting on this poo poo to load adds up to an hour. Its incredibly slow, prone to hanging, laggy, and inconsistent. I played with a dude yesterday for 6 hours straight and forgot to add him. Today I literally couldn't find him at all. I even went to through a clip, found his GT, copied it exactly, and Xbox couldn't find him.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

RBX posted:

Yes it did. The only way Crysis didn't run at 60 was at max everything. I played it on release on a 8600.

If the only time you use the UI is to play Dad Simulator or that old bad 360 game then you miss the point. When I'm making a group post, inviting people, starting parties, looking for recent players, and going through clips all the time waiting on this poo poo to load adds up to an hour. Its incredibly slow, prone to hanging, laggy, and inconsistent. I played with a dude yesterday for 6 hours straight and forgot to add him. Today I literally couldn't find him at all. I even went to through a clip, found his GT, copied it exactly, and Xbox couldn't find him.
Sounds like user error.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Is Sword Art Online: Fatal Bullet any good?

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Is Sword Art Online: Fatal Bullet any good?

If you can ignore the fact that it's a sword art game you can pretend it's the sequel to freedom wars we never got. I just wish there was more stuff to do in multiplayer modes.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
Is anyone else still able to get backwards compatibility games on the bone? I've been trying to get Catherine and it never works

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

If you're trying to get it digitally be mindful that some Xbox 360 games are region locked and it checks for your IP once you click the purchase button (whether on Xbox.com or from your console). If it detects it and your country in your profile don't match up it gives an error.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

GUI posted:

If you're trying to get it digitally be mindful that some Xbox 360 games are region locked and it checks for your IP once you click the purchase button (whether on Xbox.com or from your console). If it detects it and your country in your profile don't match up it gives an error.

Yup, that's the issue. I'm overseas right now so I guess I'll have to wait until that remaster comes out on PS4. Appreciate the assist!

Squallege fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Jan 3, 2019

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

I just use a VPN, you can play them anywhere once they're on your account

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
NordVPN ftw!!!

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Is there a way to see and/or manage my cloud saves?

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

RBX posted:

Something to do with his privacy settings maybe? I hate that poo poo. I mean I can see if someone is like a famous twitch streamer not wanting to be inundated with nonstop invites, that's what the 'friends only' setting is for, but they let you just be completely invisible to everyone which doesn't seem to serve any purpose other than to frustrate your friends waiting to see if you're gonna show up when you said you would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

BisterdDave posted:

Is there a way to see and/or manage my cloud saves?

I don't believe so.